Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It was actually the assassination vaccine recently featured in hit documentary No Time To Die :britain:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
whenever I hold eulogies for my dictator cronies that I definitely DID NOT kill, I always emphasize the severity of their mistakes and how much they stepped out of line

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Daily beast saying that a flight attendant on the plane called her mom before the flight and said there were "strange repairs" being made before it

https://www.thedailybeast.com/prigozhin-jet-flight-attendant-reported-strange-repairs-before-crash

I think the only thing we do know is we know very little

Unless she's an expert on plane maintenance I'm going to say they were just repairing the plane and she didn't know what it was. And that it was shot down with a missile.

I mean, the pockmarks on the wreckage are quite obvious.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Geisladisk posted:

I think the point is as much political as practical. Much like the Moscow drone attacks, even if the damage they do is too small to matter, it undermines the trust in the regime and support for the war by bringing it "home". Remember, Crimea is supposed to be Russian territory, and now Ukraine is putting boots on the ground there and causing havoc, and Crimea is no longer safe? Your average Russian holidaygoer in Crimea isn't going to feel safe there anymore. They are always going to have the possibility of Ukrainian troops showing up on their nice beaches at the back of their head. Even if the possibility is remote, it is now no longer impossible.

Your average muscovite gives 0 fucks about the impotent drone attacks and I doubt people still on crimean beaches care either. I’m no saying this bc I want to hug and kiss Putin, I’m saying it because I talk to these people and they do not care or in many cases notice

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

His plane fell out of the loving sky in all the footage, like the engine just exploded

Who the gently caress do they think they are fooling

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Pilot pressed the button for the starboard wing to fall off of course!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I just want to say this was funny as poo poo.

As was Hotdog Himmler. Hadn't seen that one before.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

i can't find a corresponding non jpg source; i'm thinking this is fake.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

The pilots love of Russia was so great that at the sight of its majesty while aloft his heart swelled and the perfidious CIA detected that moment and activated the 5G vax nanobots to suppress the emotions and the resulting explosion obliterated the aircraft.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

RT asking the questions no else dares to.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shoigu: "You wanted shells, Yevgeny?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
He wanted air support, better late than never.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not sure this is strictly accurate fb

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This seems to have happened yesterday as well but got lost due to pigballs story.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/russian-helicopter-crew-freaked-tried-122108628.html

quote:

A Russian pilot defected to Ukraine on Wednesday, taking his helicopter with him, officials say.

Ukraine's head of military intelligence told RFE/RL that the pilot's crew members were taken by surprise.

They members freaked out and tried to run away before being killed, the official said.

The Russian pilot who defected by landing a Mi-8 helicopter at a Ukrainian air base on Wednesday took the rest of his crew by surprise, Ukraine's head of military intelligence said.

The crew did not know what was going on or where they were when they landed, said the head of Ukraine's main Directorate of Intelligence, Kyrylo Budanov, in an interview with Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, the US-funded outlet.

The operation leaves Ukraine with a valuable piece of equipment it can now use against Russia. Ukraine has offered large rewards to defecting Russians who bring equipment with them — though it's unclear whether this pilot was paid.

When it occurred to the two crew members that they were in Ukraine, almost 200 miles from the front line, they started to freak out and tried to run, Budanov told RFE/RL.

Ukraine's military intelligence agency told the Kyiv Post that the helicopter crew members were unwilling to surrender and were consequently "eliminated."

Budanov told RFE/RL they were killed in their escape attempt. He said Ukraine would have liked to spare their lives but had no choice.

The remarkable defection was the result of a six-month secret plot, a spokesperson for Ukraine's directorate of military intelligence told local media.

Budanov said in the RFE/RL interview that the operation was one of the best his agency had ever pulled off.

"The pilot feels great, everything is fine," Budanov told RFE/RL.

He added that the helicopter was in Kyiv.

The Ukrainian journalist Yuriy Butusov said in a Facebook post on Wednesday the aircraft was "completely intact" and would join the Ukrainian Armed Forces after a detailed examination of its equipment.

Though the Kyiv Post reported that Russian propaganda outlets said the helicopter landed in Ukraine by mistake, Butusov said in an earlier Facebook post that there was very little chance of that.

He said the helicopter landed about 186 miles away from the front line. The helicopter model typically flies at a low altitude and slow speed and would have had to use a lot of extra fuel to make the journey, he said.

This would make disorientation an extremely unlikely explanation, he concluded.

Along with the helicopter, the pilot brought the parts of Su-27 and Su-30SM fighter jets, the Kyiv Post reported.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look at this, Prigs! Huge falls!!!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

weg posted:

Putin is making GBS threads himself trying to figure out how to convince angry Wagnerites of this .

Wagnerites: We know a special landing operation when we see one.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of making GBS threads yourself, I heard putin was suffering from rear end cancer of the balls. When is that going to start kicking in then?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
AP reporting that the crash was intentionally caused by an explosion

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Out of the two alternatives where Prigozhin 1) stays alive to pillage and rape in Africa, and 2) gets blown the gently caress out of the sky by a lovely tyrant, I think option 2 is objectively better.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 24, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Seth Pecksniff posted:

AP reporting that the crash was intentionally caused by an explosion

I was talking about this with my wife last night

From the footage I suspected as much. That plane fell right out of the sky like it lost all power/ direction immediately

I honestly think it was bombed and they attempted to cover it up as an accident. I've never seen a plane just crashing plummet straight down like that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Why are they sitting on the announcement that Shoigu’s PMC will inherit all Wagner assets down to the last man, gross bacon ration pack, cock, mosin and Embrarer long term warranty service plan?

Burns
May 10, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Why are they sitting on the announcement that Shoigu’s PMC will inherit all Wagner assets down to the last man, gross bacon ration pack, cock, mosin and Embrarer long term warranty service plan?

This is some Sulla level to fund my expansionist poo poo right here. Cant wait for the proscriptions to start rolling out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Its possible a bomb blow up the plane, this disabled the transponder, and the nearby military base/depot/whatever being twitchy as gently caress, saw a radar entry without a civilian or military transponder on and shot a missle at it assuming it was a ukrainian drone.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Putin's like

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I would have assumed Putin would be blaming the Ukrainians with a wink and a nod.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Shove comes to putsch, I'm sure it was all a misunderstanding

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Karate Bastard posted:

Out of the two alternatives where Prigozhin 1) stays alive to pillage and rape in Africa, and 2) gets blown the gently caress out of the sky by a lovely tyrant, I think option 2 is objectively better.

Africa pillaging operations will be assigned to a different Putin vassal. Existing mercs will then be resigned to the new PMC.

Prig being alive solidified the thought of "Putin is a bitch" among the mafia state, however, Putin offing Prig should restore some of that respect for Putin among his fellow gangsters. It's probably worse now for the long-term chance to get rid of Putin.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 24, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Sophy Wackles posted:

I would have assumed Putin would be blaming the Ukrainians with a wink and a nod.

Why give credit to your enemy for killing one of your military leaders lol

There's nothing to gain from the Kremlin placing blame on anyone other than a maintenance worker who left a carton of cigarettes under the engine cowling.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Guys, guys, guys, has anyone told this Putin fellow that he could end the war RIGHT NOW if his military simply left Ukraine? I can’t believe nobody has thought of this. I’ll take my Nobel prize now, thank you very much.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rad Russian posted:

It's probably worse now for the long-term chance to get rid of Putin.

The butt cancer'll get him, any day now!!!!

But joking aside, I'm kinda worried what piece of poo poo we'll get to replace him.

That said Priggy boom boom would probably have been the worst loving choice of all, so cheers to that whoop whoop

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

zone posted:

AFAIK the plane looked relatively intact when it was falling, but missing both its wings

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 24, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

So, I isolated the video, made it larger in size and cut it so the camera isn't swinging around all over the place and it sure loving looks like it just literally dropped right out of the sky

naem
May 29, 2011

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

:lol:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

So, I isolated the video, made it larger in size and cut it so the camera isn't swinging around all over the place and it sure loving looks like it just literally dropped right out of the sky

That's what I mean: that plane lost all momentum, instantaneously

The engine got blown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

TulliusCicero posted:

That's what I mean: that plane lost all momentum, instantaneously

The engine got blown

*nods*