Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I literally only just got to the tiefling refugee hoedown because I'm playing the game slow as hell but as I went to bed and the Narrator asked who I'd like to gently caress there were a couple of levitating tankards in the background. Get out of here tankards I'm trying to get laid!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I literally only just got to the tiefling refugee hoedown because I'm playing the game slow as hell but as I went to bed and the Narrator asked who I'd like to gently caress there were a couple of levitating tankards in the background. Get out of here tankards I'm trying to get laid!!!!

It's called ambience :rolleyes:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Mage Hand can do so much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How ever will any other triple A rpg compete with this level of polish?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

this has happened to me irl

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Are you playing a short race by any chance?

My full playthrough as a halfling I could see some cutscenes where the camera was just straining to come up with an angle that would keep my short self in scene along with the tall NPCs.

It ends up being a roulette wheel of gratuitious rear end shots, actual camera angles, and these types:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I was expecting you to say you then hosed the tankards.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fishstick posted:

Are you playing a short race by any chance?

My full playthrough as a halfling I could see some cutscenes where the camera was just straining to come up with an angle that would keep my short self in scene along with the tall NPCs.

It ends up being a roulette wheel of gratuitious rear end shots, actual camera angles, and these types:

Very real short problems

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As a dwarf I didn't have any real camera problems

since I played as a dragonborn

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Evilreaver posted:

As a dwarf I didn't have any real camera problems

since I played as a dragonborn

same, to both

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You guys finished Baldur's Gate 3 already? drat, I have yet to start my first playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1H8lFyvqQ4

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

You guys finished Baldur's Gate 3 already? drat, I have yet to start my first playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1H8lFyvqQ4

There are still a lot of people who buy games day 1 and beat them immediately, I even know a few IRL. This results in spending the most money possible and experiencing the game in the worst state it will ever be in, but for whatever reason they never seem to see it that way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Let people get excited for things they like, just because you can't feel hyped about anything anymore doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Commander Keene posted:

Let people get excited for things they like, just because you can't feel hyped about anything anymore doesn't mean they shouldn't.

very true, very true

oh wait, they're excited for a commercial product? that they only have seen in advertising so far? never mind, agreement rescinded. im disappointed you wouldn't choose to be immune to propaganda like i do.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

There are still a lot of people who buy games day 1 and beat them immediately, I even know a few IRL. This results in spending the most money possible and experiencing the game in the worst state it will ever be in, but for whatever reason they never seem to see it that way.

meanwhile i spent over a year replaying RDR2 without playing any other games in between. the two genders

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

I'm glad they're excited, and if the game in the released state makes them happy then I'm glad they had a good time. Weird and bad that they're effectively hyped about advertisements and empty promises, and sad that their experience was compromised by people simply failing to do what they said they did, but if they're happy then sure.

But I wouldn't have identified these people if they were happy with their experience. At my last job I had a coworker who bought every major FPS release and I only knew because he'd show up on the day after release day with an absolute litany of sins. Perhaps it made him happy to be able to complain. Perhaps he contained a bottomless well of hope. Or maybe he watched way too much Cinema Sins and modeled his conversations around it. In any case, whatever he was enjoying didn't seem to be the game and aside from developers getting paid for doing a very bad job it's fine and I genuinely hope he's happy, onboarding people to our lovely product and complaining about bideo james.

E: He never got to New Vegas in New Vegas because he decided to go northwest into the Deathclaw camp on two consecutive playthroughs and decided that sneaking was broken as a result. We could sit here and argue all day but this is clearly not the best time available in the game.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Aug 26, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a bunch of games are actually fine on release and it's fun to experience something new and fresh communally

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm sorry to interject but oh my God dude I just noticed

I've never coined a new username before, thank you! This is a bright spot in a kind of a lousy evening!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

I'm sorry to interject but oh my God dude I just noticed

I've never coined a new username before, thank you! This is a bright spot in a kind of a lousy evening!

Hell yeah brother! You're welcome, and thank you! My old name was my original from 2005 but I saw this and it was perfect. The text is from the thread too, I'll attribute properly on desktop later. I thought about telling you but i was behind in the thread enough that it felt weird, glad you saw!

E: It's later on desktop, but now! Forums user snergle is responsible for the text, thanks snergle! BrigadierSensible posted the image, but full disclosure i forgot and GIS'd it after i decided.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Aug 26, 2023

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

meeting at hasbro like "we can't call him Slag anymore because it's offensive. what about... poo poo Fuckasaurus..."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
How would you know what a game is like if nobody plays it when it comes out?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Byzantine posted:

I’m not sure; how do i know what yiik is like

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think the sa glitchy game thread might have a bit of a bias in terms of a perception of how buggy a game is on release

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

Game reviewers? Also I do like to play games when they come out, but I have a different approach. I am actively trying to break the game, just to see what I can do, because it's extremely interesting from a technical perspective and helps you better understand what's going on under the hood. I don't buy games new, however, because I really do wish that $60 titles were held to any level of functionality at all, because I was the kid who bought games on release day back before live patching was possible and it was a great time and things worked and I want people to have that again.

flatluigi posted:

I think the sa glitchy game thread might have a bit of a bias in terms of a perception of how buggy a game is on release

I will happily post screenshots of the glitches in my current Watch Dogs: Legion (a 3 year old game) playthrough, but I don't think anyone wants screenshots of branded loading screens when the mission flow breaks or Spiderbots clipping uselessly into random locations and being unable to escape. This is accepted, this is normal now, the game has Mixed reviews not because of the bugs, but because of the absolutely terrible story and the badly broken systems they added on top of the (similarly buggy but much better reviewed) Watch Dogs 2. Additionally, they are not my favorites, those are from Halo 2 multiplayer where you could get outside the maps.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Aug 26, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

flatluigi posted:

BG3 had release bugs, but we're not talking CP2077 level, or Bethesda game level. We're talking minor stuff like "one suit of armor isn't properly rigged for conversation animations" and "one mis-set flag means one companion will constantly appear to have new dialogue when he doesn't." In 140 hours of gameplay starting on release day I've yet to experience a single crash or gamebreaking bug. The stuff I've experienced breaking is things you should expect to break things like, for instance, if you murder certain NPC's on sight the scripting needs a bit to catch up with what's going on, and if you rapidly skip through dialogue in scenes then sometimes the effects/animations have a bit of trouble catching up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Game reviewers? Also I do like to play games when they come out, but I have a different approach. I am actively trying to break the game, just to see what I can do, because it's extremely interesting from a technical perspective and helps you better understand what's going on under the hood. I don't buy games new, however, because I really do wish that $60 titles were held to any level of functionality at all, because I was the kid who bought games on release day back before live patching was possible and it was a great time and things worked and I want people to have that again.

back before live patching was possible, games just stayed broken forever if they were busted on release

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If they really wanted to patch it they could release the game genie codes to do so

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

flatluigi posted:

back before live patching was possible, games just stayed broken forever if they were busted on release
Or you'd get unmarked cartridge revisions that patched out certain bugs, if they were bad enough. IIRC there was a cart revision for FF6 that patched out the Sketch Glitch, for example, you can't do it on every cart.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Commander Keene posted:

Or you'd get unmarked cartridge revisions that patched out certain bugs, if they were bad enough. IIRC there was a cart revision for FF6 that patched out the Sketch Glitch, for example, you can't do it on every cart.

yeah, but it's not like there was a trade-in system so you could, say, upgrade your copy of space station silicon valley for the n64 to a version that you could actually 100%

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

flatluigi posted:

yeah, but it's not like there was a trade-in system so you could, say, upgrade your copy of space station silicon valley for the n64 to a version that you could actually 100%
My point was more "those halcyon days OP was pining for never actually existed, even back then it was better to buy games after they'd been out a while".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PurpleXVI posted:

BG3 had release bugs, but we're not talking CP2077 level, or Bethesda game level. We're talking minor stuff like "one suit of armor isn't properly rigged for conversation animations" and "one mis-set flag means one companion will constantly appear to have new dialogue when he doesn't." In 140 hours of gameplay starting on release day I've yet to experience a single crash or gamebreaking bug. The stuff I've experienced breaking is things you should expect to break things like, for instance, if you murder certain NPC's on sight the scripting needs a bit to catch up with what's going on, and if you rapidly skip through dialogue in scenes then sometimes the effects/animations have a bit of trouble catching up.

A party member tried to kill me and then the scene just kinda stopped and the game couldn't decide if she was dead or not so she'd be at camp, but with no tent, and I could ask her to join and she'd say "yep" and then..wouldn't. She disappeared for good when act 2 started but the journal still says like "we should talk to her about the creche".

As far as I can tell this wasn't fixed in the gigantic patch that came out this morning but I've already made peace with the fact that she's uh, not in my game for more than like two hours I guess.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Commander Keene posted:

My point was more "those halcyon days OP was pining for never actually existed, even back then it was better to buy games after they'd been out a while".

that was also my point!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

I know you're dead in the water here because of Nintendo and their testing. If we listed games you can complete without encountering an impactful bug, me from pre-online days and you from post-online days, you'd need to go digging before I hit the halfway point in the NES catalog alone.

Now get your goalpost moving over with, we both know you're gonna.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can think of plenty of notable bugs in Super Mario Bros, but you'd have to really try to encounter all of them. You might accidentally wall jump once, I guess, but you'd never hit the minus world accidentally, or accidentally jump over the flagpole.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah. I've been getting the impression BG3 is about as stable and polished as a game gets these days on release. It doesn't lack bugs, but seems to have fewer of them than the ten year old Bethesda game I'm currently playing. Don't get me wrong: I loved the glitch posted above and I'd love to see more, but BG3 isn't going to churn out a ton of content for the thread.

As for the speed at which some people play games on release: I don't begrudge people doing it, or even taking time off from work to do it. What I don't understand is the sheer number of hours put into a game in such a short span of time. How are they sinking 40+ hours into a game in three days? Just out there dual-wielding caffeine pills and piss jugs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I regularly go to slot machine tournaments to train for modern gaming

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At least some people blaze through games ASAP because they want to be part of The Discourse about the game without being spoiled about its contents. The faster they finish the game, the sooner they can start yammering about it. It's a way to turn even singleplayer games into a social thing.

As for bugginess of games on launch: it's important to remember just how much more complex games are these days. Teams are gigantic and tools (and the audience's hardware) are vastly more capable, so games are bigger and more complicated. Of course there's going to be more bugs on launch. But also, your nostalgia goggles are on. Lots of games made it through QA to launch despite being buggy piles of crap, even on Nintendo hardware. We mostly don't remember them because they sucked, but they absolutely existed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Even the well loved ones. Final Fantasy 1 has multiple spells and an entire stat that just don't work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gen 1 pokemon was buggy as hell, but it's not like you'd actually know as a kid that focus energy made crits less likely, though ghosts sucking against psychics was a real disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

You would definitely know about good ol' Missingno, though, and if you were around other kids you'd know how the east Cinnabar coast let you catch like Alakazams and poo poo. It just wasn't known that it wasn't deliberate behavior; a lot of stuff kids accepted happening as normal were bugs, after all, and it not working on Yellow clearly meant a step was missed and not that it was a problem in the older games that was fixed.

Like, if a game does something weird and you aren't hooked to the internet with easy access to recording devices, you're going to have a hard time duplicating steps unless it's super easy, so barring something game-breaking (like the trash Lord of the Rings GBA game I had just softlocking in Moria) if something weird happened you generally didn't have a way to prove you weren't making poo poo up so you wouldn't hear about every single weird bug that someone came across.