Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The wife got me one of those tiny smokeless solo stoves for my birthday the other week and it’s been pretty fun. Doesn’t have a great deal of utility beyond “sit and watch stuff burn” but it’s good at that. If you live in a higher density living arrangement and can’t do an actual fire pit like me it’s a fun little thing to do now that nights are starting to cool down a bit. Doubly so if you live somewhere where you can take a quick walk and pick up kindling and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I had a chance to (maybe) get a new Aeron at cost during early covid since my friend’s sister works for Herman Miller, but she didn’t reply the couple times I DMd, and it seems like after the Knoll merger they’ve cracked down on extra discounts. HM and DWR have a 20% sale on gaming, plus my Capital One card giving 8% bonus cash back on DWR means it’ll never be cheaper.

The Aeron arrived today and it immediately destroys my Staples Hyken which is generally regarded as the best chair under $200.

It's interesting because obviously the Aeron is way more expensive so of course you would expect it to be nicer, but I wasn't prepared for how much better it would be than the Hyken.

My point is that if you WFH or sit at your desk a lot and you can swing it, a nice chair really is worth the price. Doesn't have to be an Aeron of course, and if you have a tighter budget, there's great value in buying used from Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I quit my last job when it was still fully remote and kept the very nice Aeron at home, plus a couple of matching more basic chairs.
In respect I should have also stolen the two monitors and iPad I foolishly gave back.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

wallaka posted:

I knew motherboard prices were getting up there, but $450 is insane.

A ROG STRIX board with similar bells and whistles I picked up in January of 2020 cost about $200 less than this one, their prices have definitely skyrocketed. Conversely, the 2TB Samsung SSD I picked up for my last build was about $500 and this one is roughly $350 less than that.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

:eyepop: $1800 for just the video card holy poo poo.

It's been about 10-12 years since I built this computer, looks like I'm never replacing it.

Yeah seriously gently caress high end video card pricing, it's insanity. I've bought running and road worthy cars for less money.

Aphrodite posted:

Normal builds don't cost that much.

He's buying the high end stuff 99% of users don't need.

This is definitely the case here, it's completely unnecessary and generally not worth the price for the vast majority of people. I just like to splurge on nice things every now and then!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Coolnezzz posted:

This is definitely the case here, it's completely unnecessary and generally not worth the price for the vast majority of people. I just like to splurge on nice things every now and then!

I have no issue with you buying it, I'm generally in the same camp w/r/t buy once, cry once. It's why I still have a serviceable computer 12 years later.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evobatman posted:

I recently refurbed a couple of iPod Classics, and was looking for something fun to do with them next. I went to a flea market, and happened to come across this:

A Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air, a once upon a time $799 iPod dock speaker. Cost me $20, and in addition to the ancient iPod dock, it still works with modern AirPlay. A new power lead, a little cleaning, and it looks and sounds amazing.
That's an absolute steal!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Warbird posted:

The wife got me one of those tiny smokeless solo stoves for my birthday the other week and it’s been pretty fun. Doesn’t have a great deal of utility beyond “sit and watch stuff burn” but it’s good at that. If you live in a higher density living arrangement and can’t do an actual fire pit like me it’s a fun little thing to do now that nights are starting to cool down a bit. Doubly so if you live somewhere where you can take a quick walk and pick up kindling and so on.

Check out the heat deflector.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

Check out the heat deflector.

Oh that’s pretty neat but they don’t make them for the Mesa ones; at least not yet. I did notice that heat wasn’t much of a thing with this design though that wasn’t bothering me too much.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I love my Solo Stove Bonfire. Recently picked up a shield so when I go car camping I further reduce the chance of sparks flying out to start inadvertent fires.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some vintage bosch fog lights for my saab, only 10€

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Warbird posted:

Same, I have the Mesa on my front porch and it is pretty cool to have as just a flame rocking in my chair

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What are you doing to trim down wood to fit? I’ve been snapping stuff down as best I can but it’s usually too long by way of needing room for leverage. I need to go get a hatchet or something, though I’m not sure what I’d do for a chopping block.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had a tree cut down in my back yard by a neighbor and I asked them to chop things to fit my Solo Stove Bonfire. I also have a Milwaukie reciprocating saw I use to trim branches down to size too.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I treated myself to some really nice hand-thrown ceramic mugs from Detroit’s Pewabic Pottery.

They were stupidly expensive but I love them.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Warbird posted:

What are you doing to trim down wood to fit? I’ve been snapping stuff down as best I can but it’s usually too long by way of needing room for leverage. I need to go get a hatchet or something, though I’m not sure what I’d do for a chopping block.

I went to my local farming equipment store and bought some cheap pellets and throw them in there (but again this is the mesa)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was eyeballing a bag at costco thinking about that but I do enjoy going and getting my own sticks. I may grab a small bag if I see one at Ace or whatever in the future. What’s nice about the mesa is that I have an excuse to make and use firestarters again. I was using some home made ones using dryer lint and wax for my egg, but a buddy got me one of those hair dryer starters and it works real real good.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Warbird posted:

I was eyeballing a bag at costco thinking about that but I do enjoy going and getting my own sticks. I may grab a small bag if I see one at Ace or whatever in the future. What’s nice about the mesa is that I have an excuse to make and use firestarters again. I was using some home made ones using dryer lint and wax for my egg, but a buddy got me one of those hair dryer starters and it works real real good.

hum, not sure what a hair dryer start is, mind sharing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

fyallm posted:

hum, not sure what a hair dryer start is, mind sharing?

This is the specific one he grabbed me but I’m sure there are alternatives and so on: https://looft.com/

Works as you’d expect. It heats up air super hot and blows it onto the coal. They hit their flash point fairly quickly and the blowing air stokes the flame. You get a chain reaction shortly thereafter and you’re off to the races.

Edit- My model is the “1” version that’s a bit cheaper. Works as well as I could hope, no idea what they did with the 2.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Warbird posted:

This is the specific one he grabbed me but I’m sure there are alternatives and so on: https://looft.com/

Works as you’d expect. It heats up air super hot and blows it onto the coal. They hit their flash point fairly quickly and the blowing air stokes the flame. You get a chain reaction shortly thereafter and you’re off to the races.

Edit- My model is the “1” version that’s a bit cheaper. Works as well as I could hope, no idea what they did with the 2.

I see model 1 says it is a charcoal starter, but will this light logs on fire? Would love to use this for my big firepit and not have to buy those hour long logs I usually buy and throw in ontop my bigger logs

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Logs? I would frankly be a bit surprised but I could see kindling working though it is very much for charcoal.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

Logs? I would frankly be a bit surprised but I could see kindling working though it is very much for charcoal.

It literally says 'Charcoal, briquettes and logs' on the main page. Says 1200F and that's about double what you need to light wood on fire

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Clearly testing is in order

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bought another stupid-cool looking bag because I guess this is who I am now?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a bunch of computers on my desk and 2 displays and I am tired of swapping cables around, plus the multiple-keyboard/mouse situation is getting ridiculous, so I needed a KVM. Most KVMs suck in terms of high-quality video (VRR, HDR, high refresh rates, etc) or high-speed USB, so I’ve been looking for a while. I found one from Level 1 Techs that has everything I wanted, as long as I don’t think about the price tag. It arrived while I was out of town so now it’s time to go rewire my desk!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I kind of want one for my setup but I’m concerned that since I’m using a dock already for my work stuff it won’t be worth the hassle. Also my big dumb ha ha go klikk keyboard isn’t great for work calls so swapping keyboards is likely the best call.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue switches are a very important flex on video calls.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Teams noise filtering is pretty dang good but I do desire for my team and clients to not hate me, at least for that reason.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I use a cheap kvm for keyboard and webcam and audio and switch the monitor inputs for video. It’s annoying that there’s no cheap and good option for the v part of kvm, at least last time I looked.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

I use a cheap kvm for keyboard and webcam and audio and switch the monitor inputs for video. It’s annoying that there’s no cheap and good option for the v part of kvm, at least last time I looked.
I haven't tried it personally, but depending on your monitor you might be able to use something like this to automatically have your computers switch the monitor's video input when you switch the usb devices with the kvm switch: https://github.com/haimgel/display-switch

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I bought another stupid-cool looking bag because I guess this is who I am now?

I did a bunch of traveling this summer with a large messenger bag and rollaboard and it made me want to get a backpack to help out my back, but everything in the 25-30L range is like $250 wtf

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patagonia is probably worth a look for you. They make hiking bags primarily so they have all the extra features to protect your back.

Edit: There's also a backpack EDC thread in YLLS here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020234

It's not very active but I'm sure if you asked there it would wake it up.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Aug 26, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, kvm solutions all suck. Both the hardware and the software ones have drawbacks

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Warbird posted:

Teams noise filtering is pretty dang good but I do desire for my team and clients to not hate me, at least for that reason.

The filtering in teams is absolutely insane -- the other day a crew was sectioning a huge tree that had just been cut down right across the street from me, and even with 4 or 5 chainsaws running concurrently (to the point I could barely hear myself talk), nobody else on the call could hear a thing beyond a spurt of pixellated audio over my voice every once in awhile.

This must be what going mad feels like :ohdear:

Purchases wise, I just recently bought a trailer!

Followed shortly by a new transmission :homebrew:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I got a pair of those bone conducting headphones and holy moly they sound fantastic, a little quiet compared to earbuds and they certainly lack Bass but everything in the medium to high range sounds phenomenal and you can hear everything that's going around you I can see why these things are popular with joggers and what not.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I am the bone conductor of the gently caress train choo choo all aboard

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Sold the tiny Explorer, which paid for two more.

1970s Made in Japan Electra Tele copy that was modded with two '70s Fender Wide Range Humbucker pickups. One of those pickups is worth more than the original guitar. This one is not a keeper, it's nice but selling it will pay for much nicer things.

Late 70s, Early 80s Harmony Marquis P-Bass copy, made in Korea by Samick, a rebadged Hondo H(D)-850. This one stays for now, even though it weighs too much, has a plywood body, and I'm not a bass player.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
New car stereo

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's finally here

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How loving old is that thing? It's got to be at least a decade plus since any after market car stereo included a cassette deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tony quidtana posted:

How loving old is that thing? It's got to be at least a decade plus since any after market car stereo included a cassette deck

We had a Pioneer stereo that had similar design vibes, but it used CDs and would be about 20 years old now :corsair: