Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Pingui posted:

Cool article, written by a knowledgeable writer on BA.2.86. I found it thought-provoking and insightful. Subsequently it is here in full with all the bells and whistles, with highlights (by me) of some of the BA.2.86 stuff has not had much - if any - exposure.
"Covid-19: The Shapeshifting Protean Virus"

Thanks for this read, but it reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask. When articles like these name mutations (like "T24I" or "V238L"), what do those actually mean? Are they like ... places in the DNA sequence? Something else? I didn't even know how to begin Googling for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

What's the reason?

tldr; more people had some level of immunity at that time via recent infection or vaccination than they did during Delta, ergo, getting an individual case of Omicron was less likely to kill you than getting an individual case of Delta was at the same time during the Delta outbreak. Which was true, if you considered that globally. Unfortunately, she then immediately extrapolated that in a very, very stupid direction

quote:

Let’s say that Omicron turns out to be less severe — either because it is less virulent or because there is more immunity — but more transmissible than Delta, what would it mean for the course of the pandemic going forward?
It would mean that more and more people would get immunity, or more immunity.

Forgive me if this is a stupid misinterpretation of what you just said, but it almost sounds as if you’re saying that, if Omicron is less severe — which is still a big if! — it could potentially have a global net benefit.
That is a theoretical possibility. We don’t actually know how the 1918 influenza pandemic ended after 16 months. We didn’t do seroprevalence studies. It burned through the population in a really terrible and devastating way with at least 50 million deaths. But even now, we don’t have enough data to know if enough of the population got immunity because the disease became more transmissible. Or did the influenza virus evolve to become less virulent? We don’t know that either. We just know that it became a seasonal influenza virus. With Omicron, ten days in, we’re at the tip of this. Either way, being less virulent in these constant descriptions, is in no way a bad thing. You can’t make it bad even if you want to. It’s a good thing. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t know if this is going to be the end of the pandemic. I really don’t know, but it is possible.

Cue montage of Omicron's body count high score and the pandemic not ending

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CoasterMaster posted:

Thanks for this read, but it reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask. When articles like these name mutations (like "T24I" or "V238L"), what do those actually mean? Are they like ... places in the DNA sequence? Something else? I didn't even know how to begin Googling for this.

You are correct, they are locations (the number) and the substitution/mutation (the first letter is the original amino, the second one is the new one)

the outer ring here has all the codes, the inner three are combinations of DNA/RNA sequences to produce them

oh and their full names

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Aug 24, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
honey we gotta come up with more for the party tray than just guac

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Al! posted:

lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Al! posted:

only guac can judge me

live by the guac, die by the guac

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
https://theweek.com/covid-19/1026029/need-for-masks-new-covid-variant?refid=F22967DD63137FAA7DEF48AD35432140

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Asproigerosis posted:

Here's some deep lore for the thread. When I was in x-ray school, I was really frustrated with how nit picky the preceptors were being about 'the rules' to the point that I started being really obstinate to the point that I asked a nun in her 70s if there was any chance of pregnancy prior to the xrays.

hell yeah

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Al! posted:

Al! More like Jeb!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
post ur favorite amino acid, mines proline, a classic, real aninoheads know

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Strep Vote posted:

Leucine is mine, so good it's even got an impersonator

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this is the one i use

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Gunshow Poophole posted:

You are correct, they are locations (the number) and the substitution/mutation (the first letter is the original amino, the second one is the new one)

the outer ring here has all the codes, the inner three are combinations of DNA/RNA sequences to produce them

oh and their full names

Mystery solved, thank you

edit: So if I'm reading (and understanding this) right, that means the mutation V238L means that the sequence went from something like GUG to UUG (flipping that first G to a U by ~magic~) at the 238th ..base pair? amino acid? (We're really scraping the barrel of my high school biology class from decades ago)

CoasterMaster has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Aug 24, 2023

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Strep Vote posted:

Casein here, it makes cheese tasty when it breaks down into tyrosene

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lysine because it keeps the dinosaurs in check

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Lysine because it keeps the dinosaurs in check

oh I didn't know that was the name of the asteroid

Baddog
May 12, 2001

quote:

"Some kids have had pretty significant illness with this," said one California physician. "On the other hand, some kids have mild coldlike symptoms.

"mainstream" news sources can be informative, but on the other hand ....

Al! posted:

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CoasterMaster posted:

edit: So if I'm reading (and understanding this) right, that means the mutation V238L means that the sequence went from something like GUG to UUG (flipping that first G to a U by ~magic~) at the 238th ..base pair? amino acid? (We're really scraping the barrel of my high school biology class from decades ago)

V the below is a better explanation yeah. It's just the 238th amino acid in the sequence is a Leucine now instead of a Valine.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Aug 24, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

CoasterMaster posted:

"V238L" refers only to the amino acid sequence of the protein. Specifically, means that the valine at position 238 in the nonmutant sequence is a Leucine in the mutant.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Al! posted:

this is the one i use

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

This is either a fancy new fortune telling method or a chart of Catholic feast days.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Rochallor posted:

This is either a fancy new fortune telling method or a chart of Catholic feast days.

could be another chart catholics use

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Al! posted:

this is the one i use

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

genericnick posted:

wtf, I thought Japan had fully specced into bidets?

i call this the "rami ismail problem", because that's the name of the guy who, back in 2020, made a post about how if you have a bidet, you never need to buy or use toilet paper ever again. but the reality is, you do need toilet paper -- a bidet just doesn't get the job done entirely by itself. anyone who thinks it does, is walking around with wet turds hanging off their rear end all day.

i mean, unless you're going right before you shower. which is cool if you do, but not everyone's digestive system is gonna agree to that schedule.

that aside, japanese home bidets are usually just aftermarket attachments that you clip to the toilet's seat, and mildew infests the piping very easily. and blasting black, brackish water at your butt hole isn't my idea of a good time i tell you what

e: furthermore, this severely underestimates japan's love of the squat toilet. [DONT] ask me about the time i had to drop a dook on the clock and there were no sitting toilets in the whole building. zero

Fur20 has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Aug 24, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

oh and their full names

Al! posted:

lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
when i wants omething outside of the IK purview i put pray emojis in the reason and it happens 50% of the time. tried and true

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
well now i feel silly picking my favorite amino acid on aesthetic grounds

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Knowledge is knowing 20 bucks in 1987 is about 53 bucks today. Wisdom is still not paying more than 20 bucks. Nirvana is shoplifting.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/wkbn/status/1694461472800133203

Gotta live your life.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

:eng101: this is why turtles have to be at least 4 inches before being sold!

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=1240.62

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The official Arizona covid app just sent me the first warning it’s ever sent me…it was about excessive heat…on one the mildest days of this summer.

Some sort of metaphor there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"I like turtles" kid devastated

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jeb! was poisoning those children. Always knew there was something off about him.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Okay, can we make an exception in the rule about blaming hostile outsiders because the Cow Exploder Rereg certainly qualifies?!?!

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

try to loving stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Master Splinter isn’t old he just has long salmonella.