Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Zokari posted:

who cares

It's remarkable that a person in his position does not understand fundamental aspects of the gameplay loop for the game he is currently promoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I cannot comment if there are space ships or not

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Chillmatic posted:

It's remarkable that a person in his position does not understand fundamental aspects of the gameplay loop for the game he is currently promoting.

I think its more like that he's so immersed in the game that he doesn't really connect with interview questions that don't actually know poo poo about the basic mechanics, because Bethesda has chosen to keep everyone in the dark on this. My interpretation is that he sees this question as one from a weirdo who wants to spend 3 hours flying to the next planet over when they could just press the WARP button instead, rather than from someone who has no idea what the game world looks or feels like to navigate and is trying to ascertain that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Pete Hines says "Read my Lips."

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think its more like that he's so immersed in the game that he doesn't really connect with interview questions that don't actually know poo poo about the basic mechanics, because Bethesda has chosen to keep everyone in the dark on this. My interpretation is that he sees this question as one from a weirdo who wants to spend 3 hours flying to the next planet over when they could just press the WARP button instead, rather than from someone who has no idea what the game world looks or feels like to navigate and is trying to ascertain that.

In most cases I'd agree, but this is Pete Hines. All he does is lie and deceive, telling lies too bold for Todd is his entire job.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh the pete hines thing that brought me to awareness of his existence was epik fallout lorenerds crying over the kid-in-a-fridge quest and him rolling his eyes at it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chillmatic posted:

Pete: "The game doesn't really take off until you complete the main quest!!" :pwn:

That feels antithetical to how people play Bethesda games :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tankbuster posted:

tbh the pete hines thing that brought me to awareness of his existence was epik fallout lorenerds crying over the kid-in-a-fridge quest and him rolling his eyes at it.

He's the guy that promised no gameplay microtransactions in the F76 store

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Can't believe Pete is forcing me to do the main quest.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

That feels antithetical to how people play Bethesda games :v:

Blizzard school of design

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Can you visit space in this game?

"I don't know, never tried. It's not my thing."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Is it just me or is it kinda comical how little we know about this game that is coming out in 2 weeks?

"It's a Bethesda game set in space" seems to be where we were 5 years ago and also now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kinda like it that way tbh

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

Pete Hines says "Read my Lips."

Is Todd giving the thousand points of light speech?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

1glitch0 posted:

Is it just me or is it kinda comical how little we know about this game that is coming out in 2 weeks?

"It's a Bethesda game set in space" seems to be where we were 5 years ago and also now.

everyone keeps saying this but they've released multiple long form videos diving into every aspect of the game?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

like we actually know quite a bit about combat, exploration, story, companions, space flight, base building, ship customization, character customization, crafting, etc

what more do you people want?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A good game ha ha ha ha ha (secretly crossing my fingers anyways)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

"a bethesda game in space" is literally all you need to know! they've been making the same game for like 20 years! in this one you can fly a spaceship

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
About the only things that Bethesda is being coy about are the story and setting, which is understandable, given the new IP and the emphasis on discovery in the game.

We basically know jack poo poo other than:

• It's the 24th century
  • There are colonists, cowboys, pirates, and gangsters
  • There are weird alien artifacts that a small group of explorers are looking for

See, for example, the crazy speculation about if Earth is a wasteland, if aliens are in contact with humanity, if the player character gets superpowers, etc.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Skyrim had the filmed promos on the million inch screens at train stations, fallout 4 had the life-size BOS dudes, anything like that out there?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why people ask dumbfuck questions about space games like, "If you point your ship at a star and turn on the sublight engine will you get there if you leave the game running for 25 years?" Getting from one planet to another in a system would take weeks on the low end if you didn't have a FTL way to cut the trip short. E:D's in-system drive is FTL and it can still take several minutes to get from one planet to another, NMS's pulse drive also must be FTL and again, takes a while to bounce around planets with it. In no case can you just slow boat your way to a planet or star, because that's not how the game engines are set up and because it would be retarded to try even if it was possible. I get that it would be cool in theory if a space game engine was actually somehow modelling all of space in one gargantuan instance, but in practice it's pointless.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I love how its been +20 years and Pete Hines is still being Pete Hines doing Pete Hines things. The unsung hero next to god Todd.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

William Bear posted:

About the only things that Bethesda is being coy about are the story and setting, which is understandable, given the new IP and the emphasis on discovery in the game.

• It's the 24th century
  • There are weird alien artifacts that a small group of explorers are looking for

See, for example, the crazy speculation about if Earth is a wasteland, if aliens are in contact with humanity, if the player character gets superpowers, etc.

Any actual specifics on space flight. Specifics on settlement building. Just the general feel of the game and if it's going to feel smaller than Skyrim and just a bunch of fast travel locations like Outer Worlds. (That's all I care about). And if I can have pets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Any actual specifics on space flight. Specifics on settlement building. Just the general feel of the game and if it's going to feel smaller than Skyrim and just a bunch of fast travel locations like Outer Worlds. (That's all I care about). And if I can have pets.

Yeah that’s what reviews are for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

William Bear posted:

• It's the 24th century

I mean there’s also dick all information on character building right now. Oh such and such gets the Robotics skill which grants +10% damage to robots and turrets. Is uh…is that it? Got anything less devastatingly boring to show off than that? No?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Chubby Henparty posted:

Skyrim had the filmed promos on the million inch screens at train stations, fallout 4 had the life-size BOS dudes, anything like that out there?

The UK had Lucozade with a Starfield label!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valatar posted:

I don't know why people ask dumbfuck questions about space games like, "If you point your ship at a star and turn on the sublight engine will you get there if you leave the game running for 25 years?" Getting from one planet to another in a system would take weeks on the low end if you didn't have a FTL way to cut the trip short. E:D's in-system drive is FTL and it can still take several minutes to get from one planet to another, NMS's pulse drive also must be FTL and again, takes a while to bounce around planets with it. In no case can you just slow boat your way to a planet or star, because that's not how the game engines are set up and because it would be retarded to try even if it was possible. I get that it would be cool in theory if a space game engine was actually somehow modelling all of space in one gargantuan instance, but in practice it's pointless.

People are asking about going from, say, a planet to its moon or a nearby planet, not from one end of the galaxy to the other as far as I can tell.

I mean there’s also dick all information on character building right now. Oh such and such gets the Robotics skill which grants +10% damage to robots and turrets. Is uh…is that it? Got anything less devastatingly boring to show off than that? No?

That is because that is the skill system in the game. There aren't any character stats.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

William Bear posted:

if the player character gets superpowers

I mean that isn't speculation, it's in the video they've put out.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm less surprised on lack of details and more surprised at lack of content hype leading into launch. Like those settled space videos were awesome, you usually do those going into launch.

I know thread logic is 'Bethesda name carries itself' but (ignoring recent history of poor beth launches) you still do it because it sells even better. Maybe next week?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

People are asking about going from, say, a planet to its moon or a nearby planet, not from one end of the galaxy to the other as far as I can tell.

That is because that is the skill system in the game. There aren't any character stats.

Yeah no poo poo dude, but there are probably FO4/Skyrim-esque perks (it's not like they ever deviate that much from their previous game) attached to those skills and they instead led with bland oatmeal.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

William Bear posted:

• It's the 24th century

I fully intend to be a Space Pirate :cheers:

Valatar posted:

Someone actually tried the whole "point their ship at another star and supercruise there" in ED.

In supercruise, the ship actually slowly but steadily accelerates the entire time, so it gets up to ridiculous speeds. Eventually they actually got to the targeted star, but IIRC it was basically the space equivalent of a low-res LOD object.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah no poo poo dude, but there are probably FO4/Skyrim-esque perks (it's not like they ever deviate that much from their previous game) attached to those skills and they instead led with bland oatmeal.

I mean no, they haven't. They've shown off the entire skill tree. Someone actually pieced together the entire tree from various things. Three seconds of google found this for example.

You have 5 trees, each tree has 4 layers of skills, each skill has 4 levels. You need to invest (x) points into the tree before you can reach the higher layer. You need to complete a Challenge to buy the higher levels of a specific skill.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Hopefully not

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
all the money went into QA

Morgan Freemen Voice it did not, in fact, go to QA

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

It just works guys, come on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I mean no, they haven't. They've shown off the entire skill tree. Someone actually pieced together the entire tree from various things. Three seconds of google found this for example.

You have 5 trees, each tree has 4 layers of skills, each skill has 4 levels. You need to invest (x) points into the tree before you can reach the higher layer. You need to complete a Challenge to buy the higher levels of a specific skill.

If you're talking about the Reddit post parenthetical'd (SPECULATION) it's 97% fanfiction and completely worthless. If there's something more modern I'd certainly be interested. But 'they've shown off the entire skill tree' rings false when for the past year almost everyone has been pointing to an elaborate pie in the sky pdf.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Annath posted:

Someone actually tried the whole "point their ship at another star and supercruise there" in ED.

In supercruise, the ship actually slowly but steadily accelerates the entire time, so it gets up to ridiculous speeds. Eventually they actually got to the targeted star, but IIRC it was basically the space equivalent of a low-res LOD object.

iirc it wasn't even that, it was just empty space and they had to make the 0ly jump before anything actually loaded in

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I just need someone with access to the game to come out and explicitly say "Yeah don't even try running this on deck" I know it wont run on deck but it's the hope that hurts.

Feeling nostalgic for not sleeping for 3 days when Skyrim came out. I'm a job having dad now so that ain't happening this time but I'm still very very exciting! (I intend on playing it on xbox cloud).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

John F Bennett posted:

For anyone interested, Starfield - Facts with Pete Hines has just started :

https://www.gamescom.global/en/video/z/starfield-facts-with-p-hines

I have no idea what this will be about.
Is this rehosted somewhere, where you can watch this. Their drat site refuses to play it back as a recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm okay with the game being hyped up to a level where it can't possibly live up to it.
I know Bethesda couldn't pull a Heart Machine and drop Starfield like Hyper Like Drifter, but I almost wish it was possible.