Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

testing

stop the ride I wanna get off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1694757740470518239

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fortnite must respond immediately

We cannot allow a Barb gap

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Finally, some decent rear end

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Fortnite must respond immediately

We cannot allow a Barb gap

:haibrow:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i wish i had her hair

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RIP my old (very cool and very legal) PS1/2 isos. New 18TB seagate HDD died on me after half a week of operation. Partition lost, crazy sounds if connected, no SMART info in BIOS, linux mount finds nothing. Not that the probability of ever going back was particularly high and I could restore most of the other crap I had lying around from other discs, but I'm unreasonably mad about it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I thought AC6 didn’t have any mechanics for difficulty and is being discussed as similar in terms of reflex requirements to Sekiro, which was the only from game I couldn’t beat, so I hope it’s not quite as unforgiving with regards to the parry equivalent

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Al! posted:

found a version of starfied direct where you dont have to listen to a bunch of dweeby white guys talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQfdmo1opE

love how they always show the character just walking aqround in the middle of nowhere doing nothing. 0% of players will ever do that.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Also played Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood, since someone asked. Its a fun visual novel with good art, although I find the witch thing a little twee for my tastes (although it never goes full twitter wiccan, at least). It's pretty reactive to your choices, although reactive in the style of games like Kentucky Route Zero: not many of your choices will change the course of the game entirely but the frequent callbacks to your actions is helpful in making the story feel like you have some actual input in the overall tone of the story, if that makes any sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Since the new season of Fortnite is starting tomorrow it is a great time to check it out or jump back in. Come join the fortnite goons on our discord and shoot people. https://discord.gg/yGtyGQXZ

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

found a version of starfied direct where you dont have to listen to a bunch of dweeby white guys talking

it's so weird they're using the same shitass engine from morrowind. can't they just use the nudoom engine so it doesn't suck so bad?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

so is there a reason people are excited for this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you could save some money buying no man's sky on sale

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
just make freelancer 2 already

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Frog Act posted:

I thought AC6 didn’t have any mechanics for difficulty and is being discussed as similar in terms of reflex requirements to Sekiro, which was the only from game I couldn’t beat, so I hope it’s not quite as unforgiving with regards to the parry equivalent

there's story routes that are significantly harder than others and you unlock additional and higher difficulty variations of missions starting in NG+ 1

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

remember that cheap gpu ($) during prime day someone posted itt and i bought it? well the rest of my system is from 2012 (i5 3570), so i have to upgrade everything (from $ --> $$) and also it came with starfield so i gotta play it. that is all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Homeless Friend posted:

just make freelancer 2 already

a space game that doesnt have joystick support (or subtitles lol)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mods will make it good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

If it is like the bethesda games before fallout 76 the game will be good. A lot of people like that gameplay loop.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

a space game that doesnt have joystick support (or subtitles lol)

joystick is for nerds. mouse control is all u need

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

If it is like the bethesda games before fallout 76 the game will be good. A lot of people like that gameplay loop.

i think the ship building part looks real neat. a lot of games have promised modular ship building but failed, lets see if they can pull it off

honestly 76 was ok if all you wanted to do was build a cool base. the loop was much the same plus you ended up finding blueprints everywhere which made exploring worthwhile.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Hatebag posted:

it's so weird they're using the same shitass engine from morrowind. can't they just use the nudoom engine so it doesn't suck so bad?

In regards to game development, it depends on whether the cost of retooling the engine (which can be done with enough time and effort) outweighs the cost of training everyone on a new engine. In Bethesda's case, that cost also includes the fact that part of their success is reliant on modding the game (partially because mods are cool, partially because a lot of horny people will turn their game into a sex sim, and mostly because they can't code worth a drat), and therefore changing the engine entirely for a new one means that the modding community will have to start over from ground zero. Also, a lot of game devs use engines for very long times with no issue; CryEngine, for instance, has been in use for twenty years now, and it works pretty fine to my knowledge. I dunno why people blame the engine for your standard Bethesda game glitchiness and poorly thought out decisions, its pretty clear that these stem from issues in designing and coding that haven't been resolved in the company, and probably never will be since Starfield will likely sell on par with Elden Ring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Al! posted:

i think the ship building part looks real neat. a lot of games have promised modular ship building but failed, lets see if they can pull it off

honestly 76 was ok if all you wanted to do was build a cool base. the loop was much the same plus you ended up finding blueprints everywhere which made exploring worthwhile.

I like 76, but the game took 2 years to get to "good bethesda game". It shouldn't have released when it did.

I wish it had cross-platform saving. I would probably be still playing it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I like 76, but the game took 2 years to get to "good bethesda game". It shouldn't have released when it did.

I wish it had cross-platform saving. I would probably be still playing it.

oh yeah i bought it like 10 years after release

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

i unsubscribed from game pass so now i'm anti-all the games that come out on game pass. i'm looking down my drat nose

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

steam drek

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Whirling posted:

In regards to game development, it depends on whether the cost of retooling the engine (which can be done with enough time and effort) outweighs the cost of training everyone on a new engine. In Bethesda's case, that cost also includes the fact that part of their success is reliant on modding the game (partially because mods are cool, partially because a lot of horny people will turn their game into a sex sim, and mostly because they can't code worth a drat), and therefore changing the engine entirely for a new one means that the modding community will have to start over from ground zero. Also, a lot of game devs use engines for very long times with no issue; CryEngine, for instance, has been in use for twenty years now, and it works pretty fine to my knowledge. I dunno why people blame the engine for your standard Bethesda game glitchiness and poorly thought out decisions, its pretty clear that these stem from issues in designing and coding that haven't been resolved in the company, and probably never will be since Starfield will likely sell on par with Elden Ring.

yeah I get that they're bad at programming it just doesn't look very impressive. looks like fallout 4. I don't think it would be that hard to use the nudoom graphics engine and slap whatever transmigrated buggy slop code you need for NPCs and inventory onto that. but i suppose they know their business because they make $300M a year.
they aren't even in bethesda! their office is in rockville!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i think, perhaps, i am not a space guy. i see space stuff and it just seems like a waste of time for me. now a forest? gimme a little forest to run around and trees to punch and I'm fine, just don't make em space trees.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whirling posted:

its numbers will be announced as players or downloads instead of sales cause million of people already paid for it renewing gamepass

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

How about space forests though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

genericnick posted:

How about space forests though

i'm getting pissed off jsut thinking about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hatebag posted:

yeah I get that they're bad at programming it just doesn't look very impressive. looks like fallout 4. I don't think it would be that hard to use the nudoom graphics engine and slap whatever transmigrated buggy slop code you need for NPCs and inventory onto that. but i suppose they know their business because they make $300M a year.
they aren't even in bethesda! their office is in rockville!

the thing i noticed is that the facial animation still looks exactly like oblivions

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bg3 is in such demand from console players that xbox has broken its series x-series s feature parity rule to get the game out this year by allowing series s to lack couch co-op modes.

rip your 2.5 year old console, my xbrothers.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Looks like skyrim or fallout but with all the good parts removed and replaced with boring environments

I'll probably still play that garbage once I hit a wall in finish ac6

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

i think, perhaps, i am not a space guy. i see space stuff and it just seems like a waste of time for me. now a forest? gimme a little forest to run around and trees to punch and I'm fine, just don't make em space trees.

see, me? I’m a space trees guy. give me all the blue, purple, and red trees you got. give them eyes. give them shells. give them big honkin space tiddies. I’m here to knock down and repurpose the sexy space trees

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Real hurthling! posted:

its numbers will be announced as players or downloads instead of sales cause million of people already paid for it renewing gamepass

Yeah, that sounds about right. I wonder if the gamepass version even works with mods, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Real hurthling! posted:

bg3 is in such demand from console players that xbox has broken its series x-series s feature parity rule to get the game out this year by allowing series s to lack couch co-op modes.

rip your 2.5 year old console, my xbrothers.

I hope that they're selling it with a mouse and keyboard package. I cannot imagine actually playing that whole game with a controller, it's so bad.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

the thing i noticed is that the facial animation still looks exactly like oblivions

I won't play it until I can get it for free but I hope they brought back the sarcastic merchant guy, he rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

don draper revealing a horny bear on an easel

The carousel speech but it's all about bestiality