Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was really proud of myself for puzzling out (Ghost Trick spoiler) Sissel's identity a couple chapters ahead of the reveal, because it let me think I was ahead of the game, which let me get proper blindsided by all the other things that had clearly been set up in retrospect.

Just an excellent tightly crafted story served with a fun puzzle gameplay mechanic that doesn't wear out its welcome. I feel like I should be able to post more words about it, but it's just really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Missile is truly the best boy. :kiddo:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

RIP missile

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My favorite human character in Ghost Trick was the nosy waitress. :allears:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

My favorite human character in Ghost Trick was the nosy waitress. :allears:

The odd girl?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Feverish Firecracker really stuck a chord with me. She's a good kid.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

OddObserver posted:

The odd girl?

I agree.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Huh, I dunno why I thought it, but I always assumed Manfred adopted and raised Miles and he and Franny were basically brother and sister.

But apparently this is not the case in the original Japanese? But then the anime actually goes this route? Is the anime any good, by the way?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean you thought it because it is the text of the game. This is the first I've heard of it not being the case in Japanese but it definitely is explicitly the case in English.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Always kinda weird how he managed that. What, Miles didn't have a grandma he could go live with, just got adopted by Some Guy

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He's an anime protagonist, he was lucky to have a whole dad to himself until the age of 9.

alternative: no one's ever said Manfred wasn't his grandpa

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Japan has this, like, business adoption thing where it's not uncommon to legally adopt a full grown man. They become your next of kin and might even take your surname but it's all in service of your business relationship.

Von Karma adopted Edgeworth but had nothing to do with raising him, he just wanted a male heir to pass his legacy onto. And Franziska was expected to marry him as part of that. That's why she hates him so much, he just showed up one day and took everything that was supposed to be hers. Not just her inheritance, but her very name and her freedom too

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

flavor.flv posted:

Von Karma adopted Edgeworth but had nothing to do with raising him, he just wanted a male heir to pass his legacy onto. And Franziska was expected to marry him as part of that. That's why she hates him so much, he just showed up one day and took everything that was supposed to be hers. Not just her inheritance, but her very name and her freedom too

Well that's the first I heard of that, is there an actual source of it or just speculation?

Because otherwise Franziska being underage makes the whole thing kinda ehhhhhh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know if it goes that far with it, I think it was mostly a "gently caress you Greg" thing

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Von Karma was always planning to frame Edgeworth for the death of his father as part of his elaborate revenge scheme wasn't he?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Von Karma was always planning to frame Edgeworth for the death of his father as part of his elaborate revenge scheme wasn't he?

Yeah the heir and marriage idea does not pan out at all, I have no idea where that's coming from. His whole 15 year scheme was to build Miles up and then destroy him.

And like we actually get to see a bit of what the "family" relationship was like in the first Edgeworth game. He's not a kid anymore by that point but you can see how the three of them treated each other.

JFA also makes it explicit that Franziska's feelings about him are fairly complicated. She resents him for outshining her but also for leaving her behind.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 16, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think we get any detail of what his life was like between the ages of 9 and 20, just that he moved away after Gregory's death, and was Manfred von Karma Junior when next we saw him. Though I think the most straightforward read is that Manfred adopted him as a kid and was just never interested in parenting; they don't seem particularly close, but it's not like he was a parent to Franziska, either, while she and Miles do have a sibling dynamic. The business betrothal thing does not match the familial vibe they have at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

NikkolasKing posted:

But apparently this is not the case in the original Japanese? But then the anime actually goes this route? Is the anime any good, by the way?

Eh. It’s fine. It’s not bad and covers the cases okay and has some anime only filler. However, it’s perfectly content to just be by the numbers so you really don’t get the same sense of flourish that the games offer.

I wouldn’t go out of your way to watch it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ironically, I think it makes 2-3 a bit better by cutting like half of it lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tbqh I wish the phoenix wright anime had more anime only filler.

It seems extremely ripe for having special cases written for it, the games play like an episodic anime as it is

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also I won’t lie Wright-family filler around the time of the 4-6 games would be wonderful

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've never heard any confirmation on this. I honestly thought it was a last second response to Edgeworth's "failures" in the game.

I think it's left ambiguous either way.

The Black Stones posted:

Eh. It’s fine. It’s not bad and covers the cases okay and has some anime only filler. However, it’s perfectly content to just be by the numbers so you really don’t get the same sense of flourish that the games offer.

I wouldn’t go out of your way to watch it.

Gotcha, hank you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never heard any confirmation on this. I honestly thought it was a last second response to Edgeworth's "failures" in the game.

I think it's left ambiguous either way.

Huh?? The man meticulously planned it down to the DAY to get Edgeworth disgraced and convicted of one crime and reminded enough of another to go down for that just before the statute of limitations would end. Everything about that case was to twist the knife as much as possible, there's no way it could have been a "last second" plot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There is a fan theory that Manfred might have reconsidered going through with the plan if Edgeworth did not lose to Phoenix and lose his perfect record, which is probably the line of thinking that NikkolasKing is under. It's kind of fan wanky, but funny to think about.

re: Edgeworth's childhood living situation has always been very vaguely described and mostly avoided, other than the anime which I did not watch but apparently has an episode about post DL-6 Edgeworth. He's never referred to as being adopted, just being taught by von Karma in a mentor role. But he clearly has a sibling relationship with Franziska that goes back to childhood (she calls him "brother" in English which I'm assuming was something like oniichan in Japanese) and he must have been doing something for those 15 years.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Starting Apollo Justice and Apollo is just the biggest dweeb from the word go.

"Here comes Justice!"

Also Olga is very cute

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBCqWKabhGM

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Electric Phantasm posted:

"Here comes Justice!"

Also Olga is very cute

enjoy the journey from "who does this kid think he is?" to "APOLLO IS GOD"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only thing not perfect about 4-1 is how unconcerned Apollo is with his mentor being a murderer. He is accusing the man of a highly methodical, premeditated murder and yet he doesn't seem really aware of what this means.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In order to be a defense attorney in Japanifornia, you have to be able to casually accuse anyone of any crime. It's part of the bar exam there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

"Here comes Justice!"

Also Olga is very cute

I would like to rescind my statement that Olga is not cute, but she is bad, real bad. (She's still cute)

Also hit a wall early that I had to look up and man do I feel dumb for not seeing it myself. of course Phoenix shouldn't have been able to see the head wound under the hat. :doh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

The only thing not perfect about 4-1 is how unconcerned Apollo is with his mentor being a murderer. He is accusing the man of a highly methodical, premeditated murder and yet he doesn't seem really aware of what this means.

Probably should have added some internal dialogue where the background goes black like when Phoenix accuses someone crazy.

My bigger problem with the case is Phoenix leading the case too much at the end, like poo poo let Apollo explain the bottle that leads to the breakdown.

Other than that

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NikkolasKing posted:

I wish Kristoph’s relationship and history with Apollo was explored more, to give more weight more weight to the reveal even retroactively and because Kristoph is an awesome character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Replayed 2-2 and it's probably underrated, good villain breakdown and motivation. Not an all-star hit but as a 'filler' case it's got a good amount of meat (though I guess it's also to set up Pearls and Morgan).

Then got 5 minutes into 2-3 and Maya started swooning over the client and went 'nope, not doing that again.'.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ApplesandOranges posted:

Replayed 2-2 and it's probably underrated, good villain breakdown and motivation. Not an all-star hit but as a 'filler' case it's got a good amount of meat (though I guess it's also to set up Pearls and Morgan).

Then got 5 minutes into 2-3 and Maya started swooning over the client and went 'nope, not doing that again.'.

2-2 is great, full stop.

Mimi is a great villain, being equal parts tragic and detestable and her twist is great. The expansion of the Fey storyline is a rare example of continuing a plot thread from a previous game and it gives way to a slam dunk payoff in 3-5. Also this isn’t really discussed about the series much but I think the setting itself is very unique and lends to an awesome atmosphere.

It’s also insane how much the anime improves 2-3.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pardon the technical question, but would the Spirit of Justice android port work on a pixel 6 or not? It's available in the general play store but not the one on that model of phone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arbite posted:

Pardon the technical question, but would the Spirit of Justice android port work on a pixel 6 or not? It's available in the general play store but not the one on that model of phone.

Probably not. It says my Android is too new, and I have a Pixel 4a. If you go to:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Spirit+of+justice&c=apps

on your phone and click "See in play store app" it will probably tell you for sure.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like 2-2 because it's the earliest I've ever 100% figured out a multi day case. Thanks Agatha Christie!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think a lot of 2’s reputation is mostly from 2-1 being the worst first case in the series and 2-3 being 2-3. 2-2 and 2-4 are bangers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
2-1 isn't that bad, I mean it's no banger but it's fine and sets up a recurring character.

1-1 was barely a case, it's just good for introducing Mia and Larry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That reminds me I appreciate the first testimony in 4-1 being the present and press tutorial, also they give you the option to skip the explanation and get right into it.