Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triikan posted:

I kinda think the next thing is going to be some sort of all hands on deck WAN show, but who knows.

All hands hostage video "I'm doing my part to stop sexual harassment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I agree that RCR was never about reviewing cars…

My favorite is the Dodge Caliber one that essentially breaks down post modernism and barely mentions the vehicle except to say it sucks. Having owned one, that’s pretty much all that needed to be said

I think the Dodge Challenger one is good too and he even mentions it as one of his most vulgar episodes lol

I was not surprised to find out he’s gay but very surprised to find out he was in the closet this whole time… good for him for being himself. Makes me very happy

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

mewse posted:

Inb4 James makes another badly timed stripper joke.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mewse posted:

Gonna be an ABC AfterSchool Special about how to avoid telling people to calm their tits

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

calm your (tech) tips

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

calm your (tech) tips

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are a bunch of those "restoration" channels out there. I strongly, strongly suspect that there is a content mill churning a few channels. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the older ones are what they say on the tin, but there's been this slew of copycats that all have some very similar camera work and similar use of the performative "tap the tool on the thing being restored" semi-ASMR things. I've seen separate channels for knives, toys, tools, guns, and car parts that all have a similar enough feel that I suspect they're being made by a single group. Plus, the algorithm seems to really privilege them. They're up there with family guy compilations when it comes to clicking one leading to the algo feeding you nothing but that for the next month. Which, frankly, is something that happens with LTT too, I strongly suspect that YouTube really pushes stuff they want to promote if you show even a hit of interest.

The thing that gets me about them is how they gently caress with color levels to enhance rust and make it look worse for thumbnails than it is. I did a post elsewhere about that a while ago, I'll see if I can dig it up.

It's unfortunately the nature of the beast. If a new type of video suddenly becomes popular, a bunch of content farms and people in general rush out to try and copy but "one up" it to try and get that sweet YouTube money, and they usually end up being completely destructive or exploitative behind the scenes because all they care about is the final presentation.

The gross animal rescue copycat videos have already been mentioned, but another type of farmed content that was prolific for awhile was channels trying to copycat Primitive Technology's channel . For a while, it would be dudes claiming to make all these elaborate outdoor structures with swimming pools and poo poo "by hand" using only supplies found in nature, but in reality, they were using like bulldozers and heavy equipment and poo poo to do like 99% of the work behind the scenes, and then would film themselves just like scraping a wall with their hands for the video. And what's worse, is that they would basically destroy all the surroundings that were off camera to bring in their equipment or when they ran pipes and poo poo to "fill by hand" their pools and poo poo, and then when they were done with their videos, they would abandon the locations and just leave all the trash and everything there.

Even videos debunking all the primative technology videos started copycatting each other.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

namlosh posted:

My favorite is the Dodge Caliber one that breaks down post-modernism and barely mentions the vehicle except to say it suck

Are you thinking about the PT Cruiser?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Beyond the Black Rainbow, but with the Arboria Institute replaced by the LMG offices, and with Linus as Dr. Mercurio Arboria and James as Dr. Barry Nyle

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

VostokProgram posted:

calm your (tech) tips

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

It's unfortunately the nature of the beast. If a new type of video suddenly becomes popular, a bunch of content farms and people in general rush out to try and copy but "one up" it to try and get that sweet YouTube money, and they usually end up being completely destructive or exploitative behind the scenes because all they care about is the final presentation.

The gross animal rescue copycat videos have already been mentioned, but another type of farmed content that was prolific for awhile was channels trying to copycat Primitive Technology's channel . For a while, it would be dudes claiming to make all these elaborate outdoor structures with swimming pools and poo poo "by hand" using only supplies found in nature, but in reality, they were using like bulldozers and heavy equipment and poo poo to do like 99% of the work behind the scenes, and then would film themselves just like scraping a wall with their hands for the video. And what's worse, is that they would basically destroy all the surroundings that were off camera to bring in their equipment or when they ran pipes and poo poo to "fill by hand" their pools and poo poo, and then when they were done with their videos, they would abandon the locations and just leave all the trash and everything there.

Even videos debunking all the primative technology videos started copycatting each other.

And the copycat haters managed to bully the guy who originally inspired primitive Technology to start his channel into deleting his youtube.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

namlosh posted:

My favorite is the Dodge Caliber one that essentially breaks down post modernism and barely mentions the vehicle except to say it sucks. Having owned one, that’s pretty much all that needed to be said

The best ones are the Dodge Malibu he did while drunk or the Supra one where he just said Hot Dicks for a full minute before losing composure.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Triikan posted:

They also don't have starters.

This is something I already knew but guess I hadn't considered the implication of. You already need a reliable way to get 12V into your electric motor to start the car, that should fairly well trivialize reliably getting 12V out to power and charge.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow, but with the Arboria Institute replaced by the LMG offices, and with Linus as Dr. Mercurio Arboria and James as Dr. Barry Nyle

:cheersbird:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"Bring home the motherlode motherboard, Barry."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

namlosh posted:

I think the Dodge Challenger one is good too and he even mentions it as one of his most vulgar episodes lol

I was not surprised to find out he’s gay but very surprised to find out he was in the closet this whole time… good for him for being himself. Makes me very happy

I love RCR and have since 2013, but Brian's takes on Postmodernism are quasi-reactionary dogshit and not at all far from what somebody like Jorp says about Postmodernism. His personal politics have shifted a bit since those videos (not that he was ever remotely right wing or anything like that, but he was a closeted nerdy white dude from the sticks of PA with degrees in English education and an obsession with cars so of course he was gonna be a political "centrist" on a lot of poo poo-- like was it a Prius, or other similar vehicle, where he unironically ranted about SJWs and virtue signaling for a bit before ultimately concluding that the car in question was, on balance, a force for good?)

In any case, him coming out explained his obsession with foreskins

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 23, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Branch Nvidian posted:

So are LMG channels supposed to resume uploads today or tomorrow?
Probably gonna reopen with a WAN Show first, for some state of the union LTT kind of bullshit.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably gonna reopen with a WAN Show first, for some state of the union LTT kind of bullshit.

Best case: actual state of the union, meaning Linus complaining that his workers started unionising.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

lack of ethics, in MY attention grift soyface economy?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

please tell me that random vietnamese guy who hand-builds miniature hydroelectric dams isn't a fake

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

please tell me that random vietnamese guy who hand-builds miniature hydroelectric dams isn't a fake

I'm sorry to say but they're actually real full-size dams and he just screws with the scaling in post

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
It would be easier to just use a tilt shift lens. What an rear end in a top hat making the editor do it in post instead of just shooting the footage properly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Bring back the motherlode (of fan statistics)

poo poo beaten lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

K8.0 posted:

This is something I already knew but guess I hadn't considered the implication of. You already need a reliable way to get 12V into your electric motor to start the car, that should fairly well trivialize reliably getting 12V out to power and charge.

In Toyota's HSD (probably the most common hybrid drivetrain), there are two Motor/Generators. Both connect to the HV electrical bus, not 12V. (The reason to have two is continuously variable transmission tech. Planetary gear magic lets them use one low torque motor to set the effective gear ratio between other planetary gear input and output shafts.)

One of the functions of these M/Gs is starting the gas engine. Unlike a conventional 12V starter, they're powerful enough to bring the engine up to idle before starting to fire cylinders. This makes starts fast (under 1 second), which enables some key hybrid gas saving features - pull up to a stoplight and it can just shut the engine down, then restart it as soon as you punch the accelerator.

There is still a 12V battery, used to run control and entertainment computers, cabin lighting, A/C, headlights, etc. Critically it's also part of the safety system: the HV battery has a big honkin' disconnector relay to very reliably de-energize the HV bus while the vehicle is powered off. This relay and the computer which controls it are powered by 12V. There is no alternator for the 12V battery, instead it's recharged by a DC-to-DC converter circuit which takes some power from the HV bus while HV is live. (The HV battery is in turn recharged by those motor/generators in generator mode, from mechanical power provided by regen braking and/or the gas engine.)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mewse posted:

All I can see is the "Starship Troopers" propaganda of kids and adults squishing roaches.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Yes I most certainly was… thx

Derp

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not surprised that Mr. Regular is gay, but I am astonished he looks like that. Good lord!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/t615b781/status/1694507445723234792?t=UquaOtRG13vI6ZIf_VDCMw&s=19

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

When did Newegg or Asus die?

Edit: I guess newegg does kinda suck compared to how it was years ago.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 24, 2023

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Malaria posted:

He busted NewEgg's chops screwing people including him(!) with RMA'd products, then not accepting returns, even when unopened. It was bad:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QtAQc1-VjA5gT5v6ugM1gdZ

And he settled it in person:
https://youtu.be/d1R4wbuXFII

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Ultraklystron posted:

He busted NewEgg's chops screwing people including him(!) with RMA'd products, then not accepting returns, even when unopened. It was bad:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QtAQc1-VjA5gT5v6ugM1gdZ

And he settled it in person:
https://youtu.be/d1R4wbuXFII

Ohhh yeah I forgot all about that. That's wild.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Malaria posted:

Asus was over the recent Ryzen chip deaths due to voltage, I believe.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Arivia posted:

Yup.

Also compare and contrast the ASUS 4060 review on LTT vs GN. It's night and day why having a sponsor product is a bad idea doe transparency.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Dankpods' three-week vacation is turning into a five-week hiatus and I'm getting antsy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Arivia posted:

Yeah, other motherboard manufacturers had similar problems because it was also just AMD's fault but Asus was the only one who put out a bios update that said it voided your warranty to install

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But have you considered that Steve is a bully and self righteous and mixes in his opinions with the facts whereas asus is a smol bean trying their best???

E: AS SOMEONE WHO GOT AN EE DEGREE FROM THE SAME UNIVERSITY AS ANAND,

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A good poster posted:

Dankpods' three-week vacation is turning into a five-week hiatus and I'm getting antsy.

The video of James fixing an iPhone from the Dankpods desk tided me over for a bit at least.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheFluff posted:

RCR in the old days had absolutely nothing to do with car facts, it was just very funny automotive shitposting. Go back and look at the oldest videos on the channel; many of them are extremely funny but for a long time in the early years he really didn't talk much about the cars themselves. In the very first video on the channel he overdubs technical stuff about the engine with "blah blah blah". Then they ran out of jokes and had to pivot to being an actual car reviewer and it sucks now. I don't think they like what they do anymore but it's not like they can quit. A lot of YouTube channels are like TV shows that should have been cancelled 8 seasons ago but they keep running the gimmick into the ground because the content mill is their whole livelihood now.

e: example, one of my favorite RCR videos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI

This video is not about the car.

Yeah the early videos were great, I loved the Cammaster, but I felt like he crawled up his own rear end and lost me at some point.

I remember he had that Falcon project car and he carried on and on about how it was going to be the ultimate "regular car" but then decided he just had to put in a gigantic floor shifter, and he tried justifying it by saying "well it's a safety improvement" and like dude just admit you love and want the bigass floor shifter lever, don't try to pretend you had to.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah the early videos were great, I loved the Cammaster, but I felt like he crawled up his own rear end and lost me at some point.

I remember he had that Falcon project car and he carried on and on about how it was going to be the ultimate "regular car" but then decided he just had to put in a gigantic floor shifter, and he tried justifying it by saying "well it's a safety improvement" and like dude just admit you love and want the bigass floor shifter lever, don't try to pretend you had to.

Every ultimate project car he's owned he's gotten bored with and moved onto the next one within a couple years. The Falcon only lasted as long as it did because it was an absolute shitheap (apart from the exterior) that needed three years of time in Bruce Henn's garage before it could go further than a hundred miles without needing ten litres of fluids replaced.

I haven't watched any recent ones because at some point they stopped being funny yet somewhat informative reviews of the experience of driving a car and turned into thirty minute video essays about postmodernism, and if I wanted absolute audiovisual wankery for my car youtubes I'd watch Doug DeMuro or that VINwiki cannonball run shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

that VINwiki cannonball run shithead.

Is this one of the guys that does "Car Trek" with tavarish because that crew is insufferable