Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My girlfriend's brother wants to get in on being an electrician and was seriously miffed to learn it's pronounced "I-B-E-W" and not 'i-bew'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
the IBEW's historical origin sounds so absurd. initially there was no PPE provided at all for linemen (guys used their lucky lifting stick to shift wires) and the fatality rate was 1 in 3.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

frest posted:

This year we had a team need to do the "parade of shame" because an operator trainee authorized them to work on something that was supposed to be dead from the station, and was instead alive.

the operator hosed up, the crew realized it was alive after someone got shocked, and then they attempted to damage his PPE to justify the accident (puncturing a glove with a screwdriver after the incident). Everyone involved ate poo poo and it was very embarrassing

Never trust someone else's lock. What kind of poo poo lock out tag out training you doing? I mean don't tell people it's good if you don't have a lock setup either but this is why you always look yourself.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Sales guy that absolutely insisted on having a Mac, and not a macbook, a mac mini, that he carries back and forth from work to home every day, is now having issues that might be partially solved if he could just be mobile and take his mac to another room for phone calls. If only he had the macbook I suggested instead of the mac mini he couldn't live without.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cthulu Carl posted:

Passed out dude was recovering in the ER, but it was clear the actual emergency was over. Boss hung out with him to make sure passed out dude was getting a ride home. Once passed out dude's boyfriend confirmed he was on his way, Boss bounced. Right as he left he put the glove on passed out dude's shoe - which he was still wearing.

My team is... Probably unique in the amount of pranks we pull on each other and poo poo we talk to each other while still actually working effectively.

Ah gotcha that makes sense.

frest posted:

This year we had a team need to do the "parade of shame" because an operator trainee authorized them to work on something that was supposed to be dead from the station, and was instead alive.

the operator hosed up, the crew realized it was alive after someone got shocked, and then they attempted to damage his PPE to justify the accident (puncturing a glove with a screwdriver after the incident). Everyone involved ate poo poo and it was very embarrassing

Whoa! Is that instant termination? My MegaCorp is extremely slow to fire anyone but destroying company property to cover up an accident would do it. Even if not fired how could that person ever be near safety again, as if they had another accident & got sued that would be a big payday to show the company knew the person was negligent but didn’t care. Like how cops caught lying on the stand & having it become court record are “Brady Lettered” & can never (well should never) be allowed to do work that would put them on the stand again as any defense attorney could instantly cite their record.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

pixaal posted:

Never trust someone else's lock. What kind of poo poo lock out tag out training you doing? I mean don't tell people it's good if you don't have a lock setup either but this is why you always look yourself.

this is more "i authorize you to perform work at such&such location, we have confirmation from substation operations they operated a station breaker and de-energized this feeder." and then they crew finds it's hot from the station.

The exact breakdown in ops was that the district operator is training his replacement, doesn't have time to perform his job while also double checking everything the trainee was doing, and they just failed at their jurisdiction. luckily it was on the 4kV lines and not the 13kV or 27kV stuff.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ah gotcha that makes sense.

Whoa! Is that instant termination? My MegaCorp is extremely slow to fire anyone but destroying company property to cover up an accident would do it. Even if not fired how could that person ever be near safety again, as if they had another accident & got sued that would be a big payday to show the company knew the person was negligent but didn’t care. Like how cops caught lying on the stand & having it become court record are “Brady Lettered” & can never (well should never) be allowed to do work that would put them on the stand again as any defense attorney could instantly cite their record.

I am not privy to disciplinary actions re: this incident, someone asked leadership about it and the guy was like "they were disciplined." I would assume at BEST we're talking suspensions without pay and rotation off that role, more likely termination.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

frest posted:

this is more "i authorize you to perform work at such&such location, we have confirmation from substation operations they operated a station breaker and de-energized this feeder." and then they crew finds it's hot from the station.

The exact breakdown in ops was that the district operator is training his replacement, doesn't have time to perform his job while also double checking everything the trainee was doing, and they just failed at their jurisdiction. luckily it was on the 4kV lines and not the 13kV or 27kV stuff.

I'd figure step zero on any kind of work would would be to wave the non-contact tester on a stick at the lines to trust-but-verify the actual state of things.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'd figure step zero on any kind of work would would be to wave the non-contact tester on a stick at the lines to trust-but-verify the actual state of things.

Agreed, for something like that there's no way I'd take their word for it. I'd test it before I started on anything and any time I walked away from it.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I have a Hawaiian shirt with my pets faces custom printed on it that I wear on the last Thursday of the month because I'm usually being a dickhead trying to ship orders around that time so it's nice to make people smile.

Where do you get one of these?

I need a birthday gift for my partner.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’m trying desperately to leave my job, sending off 2-3 applications a day. Hopefully I don’t have many more “my boss is a psycho” stories but anyway.

Today two things happened. The first is that he likes to send out how many miles he ran in the morning to the work group chat. I don’t know why. He also confuses miles and kilometers so he says “5 miles” when it’s really 5 km. No one ever reacts so today he set a quota and said we had to do at least one reaction to something posted in the team chat per day. He specifically brought up that no one ever reacts to his jogging updates.

Second, we were supposed to go to Outback for an after work dinner, which I only agreed to go because I would get home earlier going to it than staying at work since they’ve hosed with my schedule and shifted it back. He called to make the reservation and (and this is his side of the story) the person taking the reservation wasn’t “excited enough.” He asked the guy if he was excited our group of 15 was coming and apparently the guy hesitated before saying yes, so my boss cancelled the reservation and made a new one at a different restaurant that is about 20 minutes further away from my house.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's some impressive corporate poisoning.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Sounds like you're working for Michael Scott.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Odddzy posted:

Sounds like you're working for Michael Scott.

In a lot of ways he is a Mexican Michael Scott but he also has OCD and flips the gently caress out if papers are out on our desks, or if presentations don’t have all the tabs set to the right zoom % before we start.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Would it surprise you that they're actually supposed to be doing that, and instead were rushing and bypassing steps? the rulebook is written in blood! this was many months ago so i don't remember the exact blow-by-blow but i know it was a failure at every level. Administrative failure, operation failure, and then an attempt at a cover-up. just institutional rot at every level.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Combo posted:

We're roughly 75 employees and still operate on a very mom and pop type basis. We have no internal resources for anything, that's the fun part!

This is very familiar to me. Godspeed!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

frest posted:

I know you're talking about electrics, but I am nonetheless imagining a scifi horror movie.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

In a lot of ways he is a Mexican Michael Scott but he also has OCD and flips the gently caress out if papers are out on our desks, or if presentations don’t have all the tabs set to the right zoom % before we start.

gently caress, I have a Mexican doppleganger.

I'm working on my ocd tho.

You should respond to his jogging stats with something like 'Is that it?'

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

You should spam reactions and be all like holy poo poo that's crazy man. 5 miles. gently caress. That's like more than 10km. I could never do that. You are an inspiration to us all. I think I speak for everyone when I say I am in complete and utter shock at this achievement. I'm blown away. This is motivating me to be a better employee and human being. Truly fantastic stuff. We are not worthy to work for such a man.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

No one ever reacts so today he set a quota and said we had to do at least one reaction to something posted in the team chat per day.

Time to put, "I read at least one update to the team chat today," and have everyone use their reaction on it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ben shapino posted:

You should spam reactions and be all like holy poo poo that's crazy man. 5 miles. gently caress. That's like more than 10km. I could never do that. You are an inspiration to us all. I think I speak for everyone when I say I am in complete and utter shock at this achievement. I'm blown away. This is motivating me to be a better employee and human being. Truly fantastic stuff. We are not worthy to work for such a man.

I may copy and paste that for my farewell.

The impetus, I think, for him posting it is that we were complaining about work life balance because he was telling people to work 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week (and we’re all salary so no OT pay, natch) because our numbers got worse. Our numbers are still by far the best in the company, but they got worse and the only thing he knows how to do is micromanage more.

So he said if he could get up at 3 and jog for 5 miles there’s no reason any of us should complain about not being able to do the things we want to do, and the answer to work life balance problems was never to work less.

So, like, that’s who we’re dealing with here.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No one ever reacts so today he set a quota and said we had to do at least one reaction to something posted in the team chat per day. He specifically brought up that no one ever reacts to his jogging updates.

Fill your reaction quota with the turd emoji.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you get called out on it, just say you thought it was a chocolate ice cream.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm a teacher. Needed to borrow a key to a cupboard from a teacher in a different department. He produces his work keys which are attached to a 4" wide plush poo emoji as a keyring. I go, get the stuff I need out the cupboard (and also steal a ream of his departments printer paper for my department, thats like gold dust round here), return it and say "Hey, just out of interest, why are your work keys attached to the poo emoji?" He, I swear to god, goes dead white and says "THE WHAT?" "The poo emoji, you know, this?" "I THOUGHT IT WAS A HAPPY TRIANGLE!".

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I may copy and paste that for my farewell.

The impetus, I think, for him posting it is that we were complaining about work life balance because he was telling people to work 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week (and we’re all salary so no OT pay, natch) because our numbers got worse. Our numbers are still by far the best in the company, but they got worse and the only thing he knows how to do is micromanage more.

So he said if he could get up at 3 and jog for 5 miles there’s no reason any of us should complain about not being able to do the things we want to do, and the answer to work life balance problems was never to work less.

So, like, that’s who we’re dealing with here.

Look, I'm not saying you and your coworkers should lynch your boss. I'm demanding it.

My entire life is my worksona is usually just as sad and pitiable as an alcoholic burning out...when they're your coworker. When it's your boss, :murder:.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The company's refusal to formalize a return to office policy; with no flowchart on who is set to come back, how close is "close" to the office and where anyone will be seated starting on September 1st is so absolutely loving all the executives who now have to deal with their staff rebelling twice a week about being force marched back into the buildings. It probably wouldn't be so ugly if they hadn't literally spent the last year talking up how great it was to have geographic flexibility in hiring and movement before giving people less than a month to start coming back into the office. They did at least set the target: Tuesday through Thursday in person if you live a "reasonable distance" from the office. Lots of other questions still on the "we'll flow down more information as it is available" list, though. The suggestion was that "reasonable distance" was a 90 minute commute in a place with no public transit and highways that clog up so bad that a 90 minute commute can go to 2 to 2.5 hours without warning. Needless to say, people are pissed and asking so many questions they're adding a third call for next week to do a final sweep of everyone's concerns. New this week were conversations about how the rise in COVID cases would be treated and we were told zero measures would be enacted, including letting people work from home if things got horrible again. I'm fully remote and hundreds of miles from my home office, so I'll stay at home, but it's been fascinating to watch someone try to pretend they are not watching a huge portion of their staff decry policies they're about to force on them and have to act like this is really a good thing while calculating how many of these motherfuckers are going to quit.

In the realm of I-can't-trust-a-single-one-of-you stuff, one of our product lines is getting far too loose with the rules and I keep getting asked to do things that are against corporate policy. People are shipping units around before asking for orders to perform operations, so I'm fielding calls from vendors about stuff just showing up with no paperwork and me having to go ask operations people what was happening, has been pretty frequent lately. The other day I got asked/told to break corporate policy because someone really wanted the vendor to have a technical document. When I refused I got an angry IM about how I had an amazing opportunity on this program to make a name for myself and was really limiting things by not playing ball. I have three major projects I'm working on, this one was supposed to be simple and take maybe an hour a day at most and instead it's nine of my ten (12 today) hours daily. The other things are basically stalled and if I could get to them they would be a bigger career boost. I didn't have the heart to explain that to someone who literally had her boss on this program block her promotion after years of hard work.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Lazyfire posted:

The company's refusal to formalize a return to office policy; with no flowchart on who is set to come back, how close is "close" to the office and where anyone will be seated starting on September 1st is so absolutely loving all the executives who now have to deal with their staff rebelling twice a week about being force marched back into the buildings. It probably wouldn't be so ugly if they hadn't literally spent the last year talking up how great it was to have geographic flexibility in hiring and movement before giving people less than a month to start coming back into the office. They did at least set the target: Tuesday through Thursday in person if you live a "reasonable distance" from the office. Lots of other questions still on the "we'll flow down more information as it is available" list, though. The suggestion was that "reasonable distance" was a 90 minute commute in a place with no public transit and highways that clog up so bad that a 90 minute commute can go to 2 to 2.5 hours without warning. Needless to say, people are pissed and asking so many questions they're adding a third call for next week to do a final sweep of everyone's concerns. New this week were conversations about how the rise in COVID cases would be treated and we were told zero measures would be enacted, including letting people work from home if things got horrible again. I'm fully remote and hundreds of miles from my home office, so I'll stay at home, but it's been fascinating to watch someone try to pretend they are not watching a huge portion of their staff decry policies they're about to force on them and have to act like this is really a good thing while calculating how many of these motherfuckers are going to quit.

We got pushed back to the beginning of next year.

Turns out, 1500 parking spaces for 2400 employees when you want them in the same 3 days each week is kind of a problem.

No, they didn't think it through when they got rid of the two buildings with two parking garages across the street from the big office. No, there is no public transportation that goes anywhere near there. And if you asked me to carpool, I'd politely tell you to gently caress off and die, as would 95% of the people who work there.

Oh, and unlike your other sites, there's no extra room to build another garage. Oops.

A friend of mine works at the same company and doesn't mind going into the office, but she got sent home a couple weeks ago due to a COVID outbreak on the other side of the floor she works on. So I think IF COVID makes a major comeback, they wouldn't push the RTO issue too much. But I could be wrong.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'm a teacher. Needed to borrow a key to a cupboard from a teacher in a different department. He produces his work keys which are attached to a 4" wide plush poo emoji as a keyring. I go, get the stuff I need out the cupboard (and also steal a ream of his departments printer paper for my department, thats like gold dust round here), return it and say "Hey, just out of interest, why are your work keys attached to the poo emoji?" He, I swear to god, goes dead white and says "THE WHAT?" "The poo emoji, you know, this?" "I THOUGHT IT WAS A HAPPY TRIANGLE!".

rofl

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Elissimpark posted:

This. It used to be about $800 for financial stuff and something similar for telcos. If you have an issue that involves amounts equal to or less than the fine, then often a threat to go to the ombudsman is enough for the manager of the person on the phone to say 'gently caress it' and waive whatever fees, interest, etc because it's not worth risking the fine for pissy (in the company's eyes) amounts.

Like 20 years ago when I was a phone answerer / seat warmer for a telco that poo poo pissed me off so much. Like 30-60 minutes arguing with this arsehole and assuring him the charge is valid and I am not going to remove that charge just because he “doesn’t remember calling that premium number”. Then they push for a manager, say the magic word “ombudsman”, and presto, the $200 charge is fixed.

The above is from a while back but I just caught up on a bunch of pages while dialled in to a two hour long all hands. We learned about the 2024 plan to merge two parts of the company that have always run completely separately, it’s going to be a clusterfuck IF they do it as written, but technically they merged the regions into super regions a year ago and we still operate almost completely independently within our region.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

Like 20 years ago when I was a phone answerer / seat warmer for a telco that poo poo pissed me off so much. Like 30-60 minutes arguing with this arsehole and assuring him the charge is valid and I am not going to remove that charge just because he “doesn’t remember calling that premium number”. Then they push for a manager, say the magic word “ombudsman”, and presto, the $200 charge is fixed.

Its not your money, its a massive companies money, dont be such a cheapskate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who gets up at 3 is insane beyond helping.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

goatface posted:

Nah, it’s actually good for your circadian rhythm to always get up while it’s still dark out, regardless of time of year.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My company no has a new Official Wallpaper.

It's bright purple (Like, find a Lisa Frank folder, find the purple there, then make it brighter), and bisected by a series of curves that are both very dark (Compared to the purple), but also blue LED bright.

It cannot be changed.

Tickets are already coming in about how headache-inducing it is...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

To go running. They get up at 3 am to go running. This is a pod person the pod people want nothing to do with.

Coasterphreak posted:

Nah, it’s actually good for your circadian rhythm to always get up while it’s still dark out, regardless of time of year.

Do you live north of the 49th parallel?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Beyond there lies madness.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Had an ongoing struggle I thought would be good to share with this thread was sorta just waiting for it to be resolved, sorry for the wall of text.

Work at an inspection company that does inspections for a variety of projects. Major of which is a huge gov site in our area. We make okay money at all the small stuff in the area but construction is sort of a seasonal job that has highs and lows, the major gov contract we have is basically what keeps us in business year round, covers our general operation because a big bid like that includes general operation costs. When such a contract comes up for renewal for example we get bid against by people not even in our state because there's literally money there to mobilize an entire new place to service the job.

Our last contract with them lasted about 5 years but was up again this winter. For this job as part of the contract the client basically has the subcontractor (us in this case) submit internal resumes for various positions and it's much like applying for a job in that there's requirements for who is allowed to fill what role and their HR/managers can choose to accept or deny personnel for a given role. A major change here was that the previous project manager for this contract had retired, we had an operation's manager for our branch that took over most of this guy's responsibilities but he couldn't move to the pm position for this specific contract because he didn't have a college degree and that was one of their requirements.

So as part of the new bid our quality assurance manager was to take over the role of project manager, our QAM had a civil engineering degree and the client accepted for that switch. This left a void in the QAM position though, which also required a degree in addition to other relevant experience. I was put up as an option as the only other person in our branch with an engineering degree and the client accepted me for this role too. There was some back and forth over various things, an extension while they were letting other bids come in, but ultimately we were awarded the contract in June.

Great, the previous quality assurance manager got a promo to project manager, I got a promo to his vacant position, and we got a multi year contract worth millions that would continue to cover our operating costs and keep everyone employed. Win/win/win you'd think, but corporate had a different idea. "These two are now performing higher level roles that are getting billed out at higher rates, but they're still internally employed as their old roles. What if we just kinda sit on that and make lots of money". So naturally we've been doing these jobs and billing the client per contract as doing these jobs but not getting paid to do these jobs for the last couple months.

We kicked up a fit when this began and after some teeth pulling an extensive amount of time were both offered "promotions" that neither reflected the title or pay of our new role. It was honestly wild to me because I knew I was in a bus factor 1 position, knew exactly what the previous QAM made, and they still tried to offer me no joke 50% of that, in addition to not having the title. They wanted to internally call me a "quality technician" and basically pay me marginally more than the other civil techs we had for substantially more work.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt because it's a big company, we're the only branch that really does this sort of niche, and shot off a long letter detailing what led us here, what I'd be doing, and what industry rates are for this kind of role. My boss (the operation's manager) was totally on my side here and I figured maybe it was just a matter of corporate/hr people not really understanding how big of promotion I was supposed to be getting here. What they offered would have been good/great for my previous role so I thought maybe they were just payband brained and tried to emphasize that I'd be filling an entirely different job, including links to gov jobs at the same site from different contractors/projects for the role I'd be filling.

Well unsurprising to this thread they just kept giving me the run around, same with the new PM, and so while these "negotiations" were taking place I just applied around a bit with my current acting role as my title. Well I ended up getting headhunted because these applications are gov jobs and public record, invited to apply to a similar position, got interviewed for said position, and just got an offer today for 50% more than I was asking for in my new role here, all before they even got back to me about my counteroffer.

So I'm gone in a position they have no one on staff to fill, the new PM is thinking of leaving too, and this new contract might fall through which could snowball into the branch closing. Even if they manage to replace me and the other guy I'm sure the new hires are gonna be way more expensive than what we were asking for, and gonna take way more time to get caught up on the minutia of such a picky contract. Even best case for them they've lost a fuckload of money and very niche experience.

I mean I guess I'm grateful because now I'm going to be making a lot more than I had even hoped for here but it felt like a perfect story for this thread cause I legitimately do not understand why they behaved the way they did. They hosed around and now they've found out.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
This is a fine example of why you should have no loyalty to anything but your bank account, and the only way to get a raise is to move jobs.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
*shrieks "nobody wants to work anymore!" In Clueless HR*

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

This is a fine example of why you should have no loyalty to anything but your bank account, and the only way to get a raise is to move jobs.

I'm in the middle of negotiating raises for my team because they are all now under market rate and it would take 6 months and we'd need to pay 25% more salary to onboard new people if anyone left. It's going exactly as well as you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Mm. I see. So you're requesting we budget as if we hired another two full time employees to your team, for which we will receive 0 increase in productivity. I will keep this conversation in mind during your next review, you are excused