Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON KISSING SMALL TURTLES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I tried to order some of those Metrix tests from peach and A) Their website sucks, B) They are now sold out of tests already. Boo.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

I tried to order some of those Metrix tests from peach and A) Their website sucks, B) They are now sold out of tests already. Boo.

Same. Also FisherSci finally marked the Lucira tests as unavailable. I believe that just leaves Cue as a home NAAT option for the moment, although the Metrix people did tell me via email they're going to be scaling up and selling dtc on their own website this fall.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Hey, Bastard Tetris, if you want to use your monoclonal bux to do us all a solid and claim a 3rd-hand dying comedy website, now's the time:

quote:

i am concerned that one of the decisions you made was "yes, this person who posted about using pipe bombs for domestic terrorism, they can come back and post on this website" and perhaps you should be having a long and detailed conversation with your lawyer about (a) that you did that; and (b) that you posted about that you did that

buy them a bottle of whiskey first, they'll need it

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Aug 24, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
One of the peach people posts on reddit very occasionally and said they still have no word on any production of Luciras again, and they were a bulk distributor for them so guessing they probably would know.

They also said there's a another supposedly-as-good-as-PCR-but-as-cheap-as-RAT test coming through the FDA pipeline but no ETA yet:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...A-Flu-B-and-RSV

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

StratGoatCom posted:

Okay, can we make an exception in the rule about blaming hostile outsiders because the Cow Exploder Rereg certainly qualifies?!?!

StratGoatCom posted:

Hey, Bastard Tetris, if you want to use your monoclonal bux to do us all a solid, now's the time:

For anyone not following the SAD thread about Boba Pearl's avatar doxing:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?

It turns out Boba Pearl was previously permabanned user Turtlicious.

Turtlicious posted:

Which we are doing, and many countries in the G20 have agreed to do. I'm 26 and I refuse to die in a global apocalypse. I'm going to die at 85 surrounded by my family and friends, and if there is a final account, St. Peter / Buddha / Anubis will know I didn't just sit back and let the apocalypse happen. I fought for the right things and I never gave up hope that humanity could do better.

Weight my heart against a feather you fucks, I'm ready to try and save the world.

e: Even if someone has to go pipe bomb some methane emitting cows, or gently caress up an oil pipeline.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious posted:

watch the news in the next 2 weeks.

e: I'm going to stop climate change.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious posted:

LIke to use a metaphor, I had a DND game going and I 3d Printed some very expensive miniatures, that you can't just flush down the toilet, and had all of my uh dice and snacks ready, and no-one came and now I'm wondering how you disassemble 3 goblin figurines w/o losing your loving fingers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:lmao:

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Aug 24, 2023

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
this is worth a bit of a look, here's the study Early Omicron infection is associated with increased reinfection risk in older adults in long-term care and retirement facilities

and a brief explainer thread from one of the authors
https://twitter.com/MsMacrophage/status/1693604115446653421

i'll emphasise that this was only on older people in care homes, so it may not be generalisable to the population as a whole

quote:

133 of 750 participants (17.7%) had a PCR-confirmed Omicron infection during the observation period. Increased infection risk was associated with prior Omicron infection (at 9–29 days: 47.67 [23.73–95.76]), and this was not attributed to days since fourth vaccination (1.00 [1.00–1.01]) or residence outbreaks (>6 compared to ≤6: 0.95 [0.37–2.41]). Instead, reinfected participants had lower serum neutralizing antibodies to ancestral and Omicron BA.1 SARS-CoV-2, and lower anti-RBD IgG and IgA antibodies, after their initial Omicron infection.
look at that poo poo, a hazard ratio of 47.67 (23.73-95.76 95% CI) :eyepop:

quote:

Our results suggest that the generation of protective humoral hybrid immunity is influenced by the heterogeneity of immune aging as well as the specific SARS-CoV-2 variant of infection. Many residents of long-term care and retirement homes do not experience a period of enhanced post-infection protection against subsequent infection, which highlights the importance of maintaining high coverage of booster vaccinations in older adults in both congregate care facilities and in the community.

and an explainer video from another of the authors on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGwGm53sgOk

some key points
  • controlled as far as possible for age, sex, place of residence, frailty, time since vaccination, vaccination type
  • all individuals had received 4 monovalent vaccines at time of observation
  • mixed vaccination was slightly better than one single type of vaccine
  • they checked levels of antibodies after vaccinations 2 and 3, so this result is not due to lack of immune response from ageing

• T cell response was neither increased nor reduced by hybrid immunity
  • study limitations: not necessarily generalisable beyond older adults in care homes or beyond the studied BA.1/2 and BA.5; infection symptoms, severity, and outcomes weren't recorded; couldn't control for individual differences in exposure; didn't have sequencing details of the infections so variant types assumed from public health surveillance data
  • "Our data show it should not be assumed that any SARS-CoV-2 infection will provide enhanced hybrid immune protection against future infection in older adults in long-term care and retirement homes."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DickParasite posted:

It turns out Boba Pearl was previously permabanned user Turtalicious.

:lmao:

:allbuttons:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DickParasite posted:

:staredog:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

so what’s the good variant to get

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Everything is so unfathomably dumb and keeps reaching new lows that I never considered possible.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON KISSING SMALL TURTLES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS! :argh:

One call from Small Turtle Corporation will end this nonsense

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

On that note, would anyone know the component markings to make sure it's a genuine aranet, given what we've seen with masks there?

just got mine in, and followed the Official Checks (fwiw they tell you to buy on Amazon here)

https://aranet.com/buyer-beware-only-purchase-aranet-products-from-listed-locations/

being able to connect to the app and push a firmware update seems to be a pretty foolproof way to see if you have a fake or not

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think the forums might have problems with posters not being "normal" outside of the COVID thread, like maybe some systemic issues to address. Jfc lmao.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Just another example of the Covid thread driving posters insane.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Coming out of lurking to lol, lmao.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

honey we gotta come up with more for the party tray than just guac

lol

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sure enough BP had some strong opinions about the Covid thread too.

Boba Pearl posted:

The thread is a cesspit, with the absolute worst posters, headed now by one of the worst posters. They're allowed to do whatever they want, and face no repercussions, a day for handing out fake medicine? Nothing is being done about the constant homophobic and transphobic sentiment, and I'm not going to list it all out, because it's exhausting to look for attacks over and over and have nothing done about them. They constantly attack anyone whose an outsider. They are the worst the forums has to offer, and are constantly being handed rope by which they use to strangle the rest of the forums.

E: Fosborb did nothing about any of the attacks against me, whether they were transphobic, homophobic, about my art, or anything in between, and instead let his cadre of fake practitioners continue to give out dangerous medical advice.

Boba Pearl posted:

The only thing I wouldn't super mock, is the idea that these threads radicalize people, it's generally exposure to that thinking without consequence that allows them to get like that. I would like to remind people, though I loathe being the one to do it, that an actual poster, made real world pipe bombs to commit real world terrorism. Yes they were mentally ill, yes they were perma'd 6 months later, and yeah someone did call the cops, but there was a real world consequence due to exposure of radicalized thinking.

e: Posting isn't JUST a game anymore, it's not 15 years ago. The things you say and do effect people, you can come to real world harm, and that reality needs to be internalized.

Boba Pearl posted:

There were murmurs that CO2 was starting to drop, and then someone started popping off about how the real problem was methane from Industrial farming, and that even if we fixed carbon emmissions, methane was much more powerful of a greenhouse warming effect, and that agriculture was going to strangle the planet. Turtlicious started posting there because they were sharing good news from r/climateactionplan, and was convinced by the thread that the world was ending, and nothing would save it.

Literally, in the new thread, their first post was talking about how their therapist begged them to stop posting there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884239&userid=189869

She was referring to herself in both of those quotes.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Incredible website

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
loving lol.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

we need to shut down SAD til we can figure out what the hell is going on

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DickParasite posted:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what on earth

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
time to cancel the apocalypse

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DickParasite posted:

The "us vs them" drama but both "us" and "them" are one psychopath who was allowed to evade an existing perma by the site owner?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Steve Yun posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're not getting THAT lucky.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DickParasite posted:

If this is the standard for normal I'm glad I'm a weirdo lmao.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

Beyond the inherent uncertainty in wastewater sampling, the increase in cases appears so far to have been driven by changes in population behavior. As I understand not all schools are open and EGG hasn't crossed the 50% mark yet, it is way to early to declare victory.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

:waycool:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I mean, I hope he's right?

regardless it's not going to change any of my practices

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Wastewater in Austria is also ticking down again a bit (hospitalization is up a bit). Though we really didn't have any wave now. So far, so good

Just posting those since they are the only numbers we still have. I would assume people who are hospitalized for respiratory diseases are still tested for covid here, but :shrug:
Can't post variants since our guys don't get enough samples anymore

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

We wouldn't have gotten SPR 2.0 if we weren't before a hellwave, I'm not abandoning that indicator yet.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I am not sure I really appreciate said "different phase".

https://www.reuters.com./business/h...ase-2023-08-24/ posted:

Highly mutated COVID variant found in new countries but pandemic in 'a different phase’

A highly mutated COVID variant called BA.2.86 has now been detected in Switzerland and South Africa in addition to Israel, Denmark, the U.S. and the U.K., according to a leading World Health Organization official.
(..)
"It's still low numbers," Maria Van Kerkhove, COVID-19 technical lead at the WHO, said in her first interview regarding BA.2.86.
(..)
But data submitted to the international database, GISAID, has fallen dramatically. In the first week of Omicron, more than 200,000 coronavirus sequences were submitted. Last week, it was around 20,000.
(..)
The WHO said COVID testing has declined by 90% worldwide from the peak. Testing has also plummeted in the U.S., and sequencing is down by around 90%, said Dr. Ashish Jha, who served as White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator until June 2023.
(..)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Pingui posted:

I am not sure I really appreciate said "different phase".

The different phase is "over," or perhaps "self inflicted blindness."

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i am experiencing fractal geometry lols from the sad revelations today. machine elf lmaos.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Excited to once again find myself trapped in the "Look, low numbers, it's not a big deal" -------> "Look, it's everywhere, nothing can be done" cycle of idiocy through no choice of my own.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
re: cue health tests, Cue is running a sale for 60% off tests that expire soon. This makes it $300 for 10 tests + reader, which is a drat good price (expensive, but compared to retail.....)

I ordered a pack and they expire late november

https://shop.cuehealth.com/collections/sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

DickParasite posted:

It's all projection!