Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

wait this is utkin? who the gently caress is the ogre with the SS tattoos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"The WTC is a skyscraper in the business district of Manhattan. It's like asking if hitting the Pentagon in Washington DC is a civic prestige thing. It's a building in the financial capital, it's clearly sending a message that if the Arab world wanted, they could royally mess up America.

It's a strong message and a good position in this part of the war to be in. Violence is the language that America works with, so the Arab world showing that they can, but they aren't, is a good bargaining position to hold if any peace talks arise."

"It feels like the Arab world is starting to hit America more and more regularly these days. I guess they figure that either the U.S. is forced to allocate assets to defend New York and Washington, or the nation's paranoia will be ramped up enough to do something rash, or people will start to see that the superpower isn't capable of protecting its financial capital with all that implies. In a way, it sorta feels like Al Qaeda's answer to 'What if America just settles in and declares a forever war?' - the Arab world will take up bombing New York as a hobby until demands are met. Here's hoping they stick to mostly military and government targets, like the Pentagon, which I seem to recall they mostly have been - though a hit on a skyscraper like the WTC under construction at night is a bit of an odd one. A relatively casualty-free way of hitting at America's prestige, given that it seems to be something of a national megaproject?

Edit: Looking it up, the WTC was only the tallest building in New York when completed, so it's not THAT important as a prestige thing, though it is still a big skyscraper, and a big hole in it will likely get people wondering."

"One phenomenon of modern war I absolutely can't fathom is the continuing thought pattern 'a) the Al Qaeda terrorist campaign against our population centers, like the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, has only hardened popular sentiment in favor of resistance; b) now we (America) will threaten their population centers through an aerial campaign and weaken their wills.'

America brought down significant portions of the Arab world's national governance and infrastructure through invasions and continuous aerial siege with dozens of bombs and missiles a night on major urban centers, and the general consensus is that it has had a negligible effect on the current course of the war and is probably a misallocation of resources. All it has produced is civilian casualties.

Stretching the American military further, and hitting military targets of opportunity in the Arab world like the USS Cole will have a minor effect on the course of the war; some theoretical psychological shock to America or its leadership won't."

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Aug 24, 2023

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Boat Stuck posted:

what is a civilian casualty, anyway

who was that guy who hated all of the japanese re: ww2

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

who was that guy who hated all of the japanese re: ww2

captainacab

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zedhe Khoja posted:

wait this is utkin? who the gently caress is the ogre with the SS tattoos?

Some random dude who through willpower made all of Wagner and every Russian man, woman, and child a Nazi

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Those terrorist attacks are symbolic more than anything. I could see the signal of 'the war is actually real and not some far-away thing you can ignore' being potentially useful given how much America relies on an apathetic populace. If the deal is that they don't need to concern themselves with 'politics' and the U.S. government gets to keep doing whatever it's doing, then having 'politics' bring down towering skyscrapers like the World Trade Center and activate military defences in broad daylight might, potentially, change that dynamic."

"It's not entirely true though that attacks on American soil or something like a hijacked plane hitting an actual government building like the Pentagon won't do anything even to a superpower like the United States. It puts stress on the entire population, further reinforcing that the Arab world isn't a small entity, isn't going to stop fighting, and will lower morale and keep it down."

"So the idea is that the Arab world will either threaten or enact a terror campaign costly enough that the highly irrational actor, the United States, will come to acceptable terms, or the general population will feel so physically at risk that they'll turn against the security apparatus of the state? What level of terror campaign would even be necessary to get those kinds of results?

And what kind of historical case studies have involved a disaffected populace suffering from strategic attacks and then capitulating? The Soviet Union in Afghanistan maybe, and that was after having all of their proxy forces completely routed and apparently reaching some kind of general détente with the Mujahideen. Subjecting a population to mass violence is a quick way to turn general disaffection with a conflict into a perceived existential threat.

I mean, Christ, America's in the late '90s is the textbook case of a superpower with a population barely aware of and not particularly invested in its various colonial policies. Did a massive and dramatic strike at symbols of prestige, like the World Trade Center, striking terror into the entire population, make folks reconsider the policies they had no investment in? No, of course not, they experienced a moment of social and political unity not seen in generations directed solely at lashing out militarily.

Al Qaeda's terrorist campaign can absolutely contribute to the war, but the idea that it will or could cause a mass civilian collapse in confidence is nonsense, and anyone who believes it will be as disappointed as those who thought that mass conscription or the rout in Afghanistan would be some kind of decisive blow to America's will to fight."

"The attacks serve different purposes. The United States is waging a war of dominance, and their attacks on the Arab world are intended to suppress and control until the population gives up. This is the kind of attack that has been pointed out as not having much impact in multiple wars over the last century or so.

Al Qaeda is attacking the domestic political agreement of 'It's just a response to foreign policy taking place far away; it doesn't mean anything to you, so ignore it. Also, things are going great anyway, hooray America!' That is a much more fragile target than 'We'll suppress you all or else.'"

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Aug 24, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Let me get out my calipers... :raise:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lmao YES!!!!!!

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

though it would be extremely funny if this was just another TWA 800 and a mid-air lightening strike caused a nearly empty wing tank to explode

it was the tail that came off in flight, both of the wings were still on the plane until it hit the ground

but yeah this just being a freak accident is the funniest option and therefore the one i'm going to believe

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fauci claims another scalp.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Vaxx takes more victims smdh

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

ok this is the funniest option now, i believe it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Putin shed a single tear while mourning Prigozhin.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Talk about a Fauci ouchie

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

certified RT classic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Perfection.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's unfortunately a fake article.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Fake news?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a mortality rate of 10 per dose is very impressive

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The pilot didn't have myocarditis.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
well something caused this terrible tragedy

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

genericnick posted:

captainacab

free him

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Apparently the 82nd and 46th brigades are trying to force a breakthrough south of Robotyne. This is apparently the biggest attack since the start of the counteroffensive.
https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1694819448010506662

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It needs more dramatic music.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is 80 "vehicles" total a lot for an offensive? It doesn't sound like a lot.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

sum posted:

Apparently the 82nd and 46th brigades are trying to force a breakthrough south of Robotyne. This is apparently the biggest attack since the start of the counteroffensive.

I thought the point of this counter was to be a big push seems weird to start the push like 2 months in

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Is 80 "vehicles" total a lot for an offensive? It doesn't sound like a lot.

It's a lot by the standards of Ukraine, at this stage of the war, compared to what they were doing earlier this year, which was pissing afv's away six at a time like chumps

Really they should've done this from the start and just gone for broke instead of losing half their vehicles for literally no gain

It's like watching someone play an rts for the first time

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I miss Priggy already.

One day I am going to get drunk and reread the thread from page 1801.

This is like the "Red Wedding" moment of the war thread.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Some random dude who through willpower made all of Wagner and every Russian man, woman, and child a Nazi

Fascism is just that powerful. That's why Stalin had to destroy it to protect his cult of personality from the overwhelming nazi psychic powers.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

It's a lot by the standards of Ukraine, at this stage of the war, compared to what they were doing earlier this year, which was pissing afv's away six at a time like chumps

Really they should've done this from the start and just gone for broke instead of losing half their vehicles for literally no gain

That moment when you realise the average e-sports RTS player would make a better general than the current one.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
This next spin is gonna be the one that pays off big and wipes out all my previous losses. I don't lose until I stop gambling!

It's incredible watching the rationalizations of how this is all going to be worth it.

At least the gambler could hypothetically get his money back, those people are dead, maimed and traumatized and no big breakthrough will take that back.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I blame the Poles I work with and American pop culture for this.

So, it's not Apachski for the Mi-28, but Apachov? What is this bullshit?

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0%B8-28

nochnoi ohotnik, night hunter.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

sum posted:

Go Ukraine! gently caress those Russians up!

Slavvy posted:

... this is what they did at the start, it was a complete loving disaster and they called it off after a few days where they lost like 20% of what they had built up over the previous year

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It needs more dramatic music.

it needs some guy in a jet shouting about how borders aren't real

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwr19Sl_7c&t=32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
This is it. Ukraine's big push will take them straight to Crimea. Expect them to be marching on the peninsula by month's end.