Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any recommendations for docks? The official Steam one looks really overpriced.

What do you want to use it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What do you want to use it for?

Console-like device for the living room TV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Console-like device for the living room TV.

In that case you can get any USB C hub that has power pass through and HDMI. Probably no need to buy the full deck dock, it’s overkill.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought some jsaux one from Amazon for like $30. The advantage of the official one that everyone forgets is you get another power supply which is nice if you're using it on the TV a bunch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you want it set up as a permanent fixture, the official dock coming with another power supply is great since you then don't have to fiddle with it to get the power supply if you're taking the Deck somewhere.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My 2TB SSD should be delivered today. Pretty comfortable with the process of swapping it out.

Trying to decide what to do with the original 512GB drive. Maybe put it into the external enclosure I bought to do the swap and just plug it into my PC?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Annath posted:

My 2TB SSD should be delivered today. Pretty comfortable with the process of swapping it out.

Trying to decide what to do with the original 512GB drive. Maybe put it into the external enclosure I bought to do the swap and just plug it into my PC?

That's what I did I'm using it as an external.

I wanted to use it in the Deck but messed up the auto mount thingy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Annath posted:

That's what I did!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My favourite part is gently removing the old SSD's little protective jacket then putting it on the new one.

That's why I'm really not lookin' forward to RMAing my almost-always-freezes-coming-out-of-sleep-even-with-nothing-running Steam Deck.

I don't wanna go through the de/re-sleeve process again.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

That's why I'm really not lookin' forward to RMAing my almost-always-freezes-coming-out-of-sleep-even-with-nothing-running Steam Deck.

I don't wanna go through the de/re-sleeve process again.

Was it that difficult? The videos I watched made it look as simple as slipping it off the old and onto the new.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s so easy though unless you try to slide it in the wrong direction in which case it’s basically impossible

Business end first iirc

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 24, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bought this Deck to play games natively, but I’m messing around with Moonlight and I had no idea game streaming had gotten so good. This is incredible.

I’m not sure I’ll ever play a native game on this except occasional trips.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Was it that difficult? The videos I watched made it look as simple as slipping it off the old and onto the new.

For what it's worth, I tore and crumpled mine a bit when I took it off, and I slapped it back on and had no issues so far *knock knock*

Playing BG3 with my roomie has been great, but it has me wanting to play some other turn based games in my off time. Does anyone have any recommendations for any games with similar combat/gameplay that aren't particularly story heavy? I've played both Original Sin games as well, but really looking more for something I can kinda half play while watching britcoms on the big screen. Probably some kind of roguelike would work

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

compounded daily posted:

For what it's worth, I tore and crumpled mine a bit when I took it off, and I slapped it back on and had no issues so far *knock knock*

Playing BG3 with my roomie has been great, but it has me wanting to play some other turn based games in my off time. Does anyone have any recommendations for any games with similar combat/gameplay that aren't particularly story heavy? I've played both Original Sin games as well, but really looking more for something I can kinda half play while watching britcoms on the big screen. Probably some kind of roguelike would work

I think X-Com would be great for this. Also Jagged Alliance 3 just came out and it's got good reviews.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any recommendations for docks? The official Steam one looks really overpriced.

It also can’t charge a controller over USB. It *is* of higher build quality than the majority of other docks though, so you take the good with the bad.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ecavalli posted:

It also can’t charge a controller over USB. It *is* of higher build quality than the majority of other docks though, so you take the good with the bad.
:confused: I have the official Deck dock and it charges things, including both an 8BitDo Pro 2 and a DualShock 4, just fine over USB. In fact, I have a USB hub attached to the dock for easier access and USB charging still works fine even through the daisy chain.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I went with the official deck dock for docking my deck just because I didn't want to deal with 3rd party stuff that has no official support from valve. It works perfectly fine and I'd highly recommend it for those that are willing to pay a premium for "It just works and is covered by valve" basically. There's no real reason other than that to buy it over comparable docks :shrug:

Only weird thing is that I have to unplug it and plug it back in when I reconnect my deck to it. Dunno why but it's easy enough that I never bothered to RMA it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I found a page that had settings for 24 fps which is way more playable than I expected and lets the graphics look a fair bit better. I’m not at the machine with that tab though and for whatever reason Firefox isn’t syncing correctly, but it was someone who talks a lot about the “golden 40” target.

E: found it: https://overkill.wtf/baldurs-gate-3-best-settings-steam-deck/

Normally I either stream bg3 from my pc or GeForce but I gave these settings a shot last night. While it did look better, I wasn’t getting a constant 24 fps in act 1. It was dropping to sub 20 in some cases. Granted, I only played for about 45 minutes and didn’t try anything like rebooting the deck.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

:confused: I have the official Deck dock and it charges things, including both an 8BitDo Pro 2 and a DualShock 4, just fine over USB. In fact, I have a USB hub attached to the dock for easier access and USB charging still works fine even through the daisy chain.

Yeah I have the dock for my 8bitdo Ultimate connected to the dock and it charges just fine. It’ll absolutely charge a controller over USB.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cowman posted:

I went with the official deck dock for docking my deck just because I didn't want to deal with 3rd party stuff that has no official support from valve. It works perfectly fine and I'd highly recommend it for those that are willing to pay a premium for "It just works and is covered by valve" basically. There's no real reason other than that to buy it over comparable docks :shrug:

Only weird thing is that I have to unplug it and plug it back in when I reconnect my deck to it. Dunno why but it's easy enough that I never bothered to RMA it.

Have you updated the dock? I haven’t had to do that in a long while.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Cowman posted:

I went with the official deck dock for docking my deck just because I didn't want to deal with 3rd party stuff that has no official support from valve.

Cowman posted:

It works perfectly fine

Cowman posted:

I have to unplug it and plug it back in when I reconnect my deck to it.

FWIW my cheaper 3rd party dock doesn’t need this. I guess it depends how much you dock and undock it but that’d annoy the hell out of me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Currently 12 minutes into cloning my 512GB drive, and it's copied 89GB. Not sure how that translates into time remaining.

Says it's going at 32.7MB/s :shrug:

E: is there a way to keep the decks from turning off if left idle? Or would I have needed to change that setting before embarking on this task?

Annath fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 24, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Annath posted:

Currently 12 minutes into cloning my 512GB drive, and it's copied 89GB. Not sure how that translates into time remaining.

It's stupid fast but large files go faster that the billion little sys files so it's hard to eta well

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

RandolphCarter posted:

Have you updated the dock? I haven’t had to do that in a long while.

Not in a long time, no. I honestly don't know how to update it.

Froist posted:

FWIW my cheaper 3rd party dock doesn’t need this. I guess it depends how much you dock and undock it but that’d annoy the hell out of me.

FWIW I think it's more my setup than the dock itself but I don't know for sure so I went ahead and mentioned it just in case it was the dock.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Annath posted:

E: is there a way to keep the decks from turning off if left idle? Or would I have needed to change that setting before embarking on this task?

Yeah just leave it plugged in

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
trying to migrate emudeck to my new (empty) sdcard and it's giving me the cryptic message

quote:

You need to have at least 7.0G on Valid.
You only have

anyone got any clue because i sure don't

e: it just started working out of nowhere i don't know why :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 25, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cowman posted:

Not in a long time, no. I honestly don't know how to update it.

It’s somewhere in the steam menu while your docked

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are there any accessories yall recommend besides the screen cover? does everyone use one of those grippy case/protector things? is the standard carrying case rugged enough for tossing in a messenger bag for travel? should I get a folding keyboard? will I want a stand for extended playing? peripherals?? etc

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
none of the above from me. the case is amazing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

are there any accessories yall recommend besides the screen cover? does everyone use one of those grippy case/protector things? is the standard carrying case rugged enough for tossing in a messenger bag for travel? should I get a folding keyboard? will I want a stand for extended playing? peripherals?? etc

I just got a glass screen protector and the deckmate. Deckmate is awesome if you want to have a kickstand/holder/vesa mount/battery carrier or whatever. I do find the included case to be quite bulky for putting in a bag, which offers some protection on its own. But I haven’t tried anything else. Often I just chuck it in my messenger bag and it’s robust enough

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use stick-on rubber grips over the rear buttons, because I have tiny baby fingers that can barely reach them.

I also have stick grips because I find the sticks a bit too slippy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

indigi posted:

I was a fool and started using my deck on my TV and then I bought a laptop with an attached keyboard and now I'm hooked to the couch life, and want to get a Steam dock and some more peripherals for that.

Every day I stray further from my PC. I believe that with a slightly more powerful Deck I will never purchase a gaming PC again and probably won't ever use Windows outside of work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The case that came with the Deck is stupid good. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a device that came with a case that wasn’t throwaway garbage.

Outside of a dock, I still recommend a 10ft USB C to C cable and a 65w wall charger.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

indigi posted:

is the standard carrying case rugged enough for tossing in a messenger bag for travel?

Yes, I have literally dropped (it fell out of my locker at work as I was grabbing my coat) my deck in the stock case from head height and it was absolutely fine.

indigi posted:

should I get a folding keyboard?

If you're just doing quick desktop stuff on it the trackpads and on-screen keyboard are fine, but if you're putting it in a dock I'd get something like a Logitech K400 for prime sofa Youtube times.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

indigi posted:

is the standard carrying case rugged enough for tossing in a messenger bag for travel?

The case is rugged enough for my Deck to survive without a scratch FedEx throwing it on a plane in Memphis Tennessee,flying to Canada,passing Customs and then being thrown onto a delivery truck.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that's the other thing to remember, the Case will have already protected your Deck through multiple abuses by the time you even touch it since it's shipped in it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Armored Core 6 trip report:
It runs at a locked 30fps, but setting the limit higher leads to big swings. It will sometimes be as high as 60 and then swing wildly between 30 and 60 depending on what's happening on screen. I haven't seen it drop below 30 though.

It loads pretty quickly from SD card, so no issue there. The deck's controls suit it well, better than an xbox controller imo.

After comparing back to back from my desktop at 120fps and the deck at 30, it's perfectly playable at 30 once your eyes adjust. It's maybe a tiny bit harder, don't expect to S-rank missions, but you can totally play through it at 30fps. It's a good experience, I'd have no problem doing it on a plane or whatever.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 25, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

The case that came with the Deck is stupid good. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a device that came with a case that wasn’t throwaway garbage.

The case that comes with new GoPros is fantastic as well, mainly because it’s built just like the deck case but shaped for a GoPro and it’s accessories.

Manufacturers need to make “good cases” a normal thing that everyone does

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Finally got around to setting up Sunshine/Moonlight on my Deck and PC and when I try to stream games somewhere between Moonlight and my PC the Deck's controller inputs aren't being passed along correctly. The controllers menu in Steam on my PC doesn't detect a controller connected at all. Both Sunshine and Moonlight are set up to pass controller input along AFAICT. Anything I have set up as a keyboard/mouse key gets passed along fine AFAICT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Froist posted:

Ditto. My JSAUX dock works pretty seamlessly and we use the Deck docked maybe two or three times per week, with a lot of undockings in between. Really happy with it.

Getting a pretty seamless Switch-like experience with a Linux PC is... not something I would have ever expected, to be honest.