Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

to be clear my call for purging SAD is just insincere shitposting, but i'll knock it off and get back to wholesome covidposting

e: lol worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Shiroc posted:

fosborb, I know you're trying to cool things down but trying to treat this as an isolated, disconnected incident is really fair from both how people behave and the impact that it has on the people who feel targeted by it. Like if anything at all can help get this site out of the mess is realizing that when tons of people are toeing up to the line but not going over, (which doesn't need to have to be because of 'crews' or intentional organization, just the social dynamics of things like a public LC and SAD) it creates lovely situations that bubble over, escalate and it isn't just a problem with the people who spectacularly flame out. poo poo needs to be viewed in context of the overall system, the same way we look at covid.

And after it gets finished with this thread, it will boil over and cause the loving site to eat itself sooner or later if it's not reined in hard.

U-DO Burger posted:

to be clear my call for purging SAD is just insincere shitposting, but i'll knock it off and get back to wholesome covidposting

e: lol worst snipe

SAD doesn't need a purge, but it needs massive reforms in its operating standards.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
or we could just move on

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've been reading through an interesting report on Wiley that got published last year. It is pretty drat long, and I haven't had the time to finish it yet, but it's been a very interesting read so far.

What were the historical reasons for the resistance to recognizing airborne transmission during the COVID-19 pandemic?

quote:

Abstract
The question of whether SARS-CoV-2 is mainly transmitted by droplets or aerosols has been highly controversial. We sought to explain this controversy through a historical analysis of transmission research in other diseases. For most of human history, the dominant paradigm was that many diseases were carried by the air, often over long distances and in a phantasmagorical way. This miasmatic paradigm was challenged in the mid to late 19th century with the rise of germ theory, and as diseases such as cholera, puerperal fever, and malaria were found to actually transmit in other ways. Motivated by his views on the importance of contact/droplet infection, and the resistance he encountered from the remaining influence of miasma theory, prominent public health official Charles Chapin in 1910 helped initiate a successful paradigm shift, deeming airborne transmission most unlikely. This new paradigm became dominant. However, the lack of understanding of aerosols led to systematic errors in the interpretation of research evidence on transmission pathways. For the next five decades, airborne transmission was considered of negligible or minor importance for all major respiratory diseases, until a demonstration of airborne transmission of tuberculosis (which had been mistakenly thought to be transmitted by droplets) in 1962. The contact/droplet paradigm remained dominant, and only a few diseases were widely accepted as airborne before COVID-19: those that were clearly transmitted to people not in the same room. The acceleration of interdisciplinary research inspired by the COVID-19 pandemic has shown that airborne transmission is a major mode of transmission for this disease, and is likely to be significant for many respiratory infectious diseases.

Practical Implications
Since the early 20th century, there has been resistance to accept that diseases transmit through the air, which was particularly damaging during the COVID-19 pandemic. A key reason for this resistance lies in the history of the scientific understanding of disease transmission: Transmission through the air was thought dominant during most of human history, but the pendulum swung too far in the early 20th century. For decades, no important disease was thought to be airborne. By clarifying this history and the errors rooted in it that still persist, we hope to facilitate progress in this field in the future.

It caught my eye because the graphic associated with the study looked really fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Aug 25, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nexous posted:

or we could just move on

No, we're not letting this slide after SPR 2.0.

There were posters that needed sanction, we are in agreement but there were several bullshit probes after this poo poo and rather a lot of major problems in operating standards brought to light.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

nexous posted:

or we could just move on

Even if all of us decide to just ignore it, this poo poo will just loop back around like it has over and over if the social problems that create it don't actually change.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
take it to SAD, then. the place to discuss this drama. stick to fosborbs list of good posting

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

It's literally the same poo poo that KM pulled with FYAD.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

so what’s the good variant to get
You just need to get 12 on your punch card before you check out for free doesn't matter which

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
hey at least you know there's no true permaban

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mags posted:

hey at least you know there's no true permaban

Only if you're friends with folks in high places (which is super applicable for so many other things irl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

quoting myself in case anyone missed it since it was real early/late: i’ve got a bunch both in quantity and variety of free masks and mask related stuff if anyone wants them, see longer post for details

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Well this sucks. When am I gonna be able to go to raves again? It doesn't seem safe right now.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Poppers posted:

Well this sucks. When am I gonna be able to go to raves again? It doesn't seem safe right now.

My friend, can I introduce you to the joy that is cybergoth style?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

No... I'm not that much of a dork lol.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fosborb posted:

there is also lazy trolling sometimes ... and that needs kicked in the knees as well.

So will you be probing the obvious poo poo-stirrers? I'm all for the "us vs them" posting to stop but it seems like it's only the "us" who get blamed for it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Poppers posted:

You can go to so many raves in this baby *smacks p100 full-face*

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Something I've been wondering about, there's a section on the Washington state Department of Health dashboard that says:

"About 40% of people with COVID-19 shed the SARS-CoV-2 virus in their feces."

Any idea where this number comes from?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

Something I've been wondering about, there's a section on the Washington state Department of Health dashboard that says:

I don't know but 43% was the number here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8036078/ posted:

We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of 1,636 patients to evaluate the prevalence and the duration of shedding of fecal RNA in patients with COVID-19 infection. Overall, 43% (95% CI 34%–52%) of patients with COVID-19 infection tested positive for fecal RNA with a higher proportion observed in patients with GI symptoms, especially diarrhea, compared with no GI symptoms.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

It's literally the same poo poo that KM pulled with FYAD.

No it isn't.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
sagas got KM’d. thats the facts. theyve been owned beyond belief

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

I don't know but 43% was the number here:

So quick, thank you!

:itwaspoo:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Can we at least acknowledge that wearing a mask is less comfortable than not wearing a mask

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1694865077621359086

don't think that's an n95..

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
stay safe everyone

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

wtf chickenpox is airborne? gotta be droplet/airborne dichotomy im assumin

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Manipulative poo poo-stirrer causing trouble for an unpopular segment of the site. Not sure if for power or for lulz in this case, will grant that.

I don't deny that cpu abuser or yun or whatever needed sanction, and prescription poo poo is no bueno, but the drama addiction many posters here have is loving dangerous to the community.

Poppers posted:

Can we at least acknowledge that wearing a mask is less comfortable than not wearing a mask

Looks at AQHI

Hmm, how about no.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Did someone really fake doxx buy an avatar for themselves again?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Poppers posted:

depends on the mask. also depends on whats happenin. working in anplace that dusty af is like being superman

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

RC Cola posted:

Yes.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RC Cola posted:

Yes and they were previously permabanned for dabbling in ecoterrorism.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Poppers posted:

absolutely. I fuckin hate wearing an n95. my nose immediately gets runny and I have to breathe through my mouth it sucks

but Covid also sucks so I do the needful

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Miasma theory FTW!

Poppers posted:

I'm going to one tomorrow.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Zantie posted:

i know its around the corner from lemonade

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RC Cola posted:

Everything about it is... less than stellar...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4040032&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post534109738

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

wtf chickenpox is airborne? gotta be droplet/airborne dichotomy im assumin

Lol guess what

The CDC hasn't just been watering down the transmission guidance for COVID

CDC in 2015 posted:

Chickenpox is a very contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. The virus spreads easily from people with chickenpox to others who have never had the disease or received the chickenpox vaccine. The virus spreads in the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching or breathing in the virus particles that come from chickenpox blisters.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150204121627/http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/transmission.html

CDC right now posted:

Chickenpox is a highly contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). The virus spreads easily from people with chickenpox to others who have never had the disease or never been vaccinated. If one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected. The virus spreads mainly through close contact with someone who has chickenpox.

https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/transmission.html

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Also, between my secure click and horrid dry itching in my nose from allergy meds, I'll take the click any day and thrice on sunday.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DickParasite posted:

Yes and they were previously permabanned for dabbling in ecoterrorism.

Was it the blow up cows person?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

RC Cola posted:

Yes.

It turns out that drama fries brains worse then any CSPAM thread, and is far more destructive, because dog brickers, or lunatic costco cc guys are a problem that can be handled by an admin pressing buttons and having the mods hand out probes until poo poo is returned to an even keel and any crazyposters are dealt with.

Drama guys when they get going, gezus.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RC Cola posted:

Winner winner chicken dinner!