Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Homeless Friend posted:

depends on the mask. (..)

Yup, the "no exhaust valve" thing was absolutely miserable and probably turned some people off masking completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

nexous posted:

absolutely. I fuckin hate wearing an n95. my nose immediately gets runny and I have to breathe through my mouth it sucks

but Covid also sucks so I do the needful

That shouldn't be happening unless you're using a fresh mask right out of the wrappers. Next time just open up a n95 and let it air out a bit first before putting it on and you'll have a much better experience

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Poppers posted:

Can we at least acknowledge that wearing a mask is less comfortable than not wearing a mask

I use KF94s that are perfectly comfortable to the point of forgetting I'm wearing them, except outdoors in the hottest summer on record, but everything sucks then.

Not sure what the point of your post is anyway. I also wear a seatbelt, and pants.

E: I will say that I've found every elastomeric I've tried to be absolutely miserable, on top of how expensive they are up front. I have no idea how people can handle that.

Modus Pwnens has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Aug 25, 2023

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1694865077621359086

Very cool. Just the most normal things...
Also needing "permission" to talk about COVID... lmao

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
let me tell you how much I hate wearing pants. my balks sweat, I can’t scratch my legs, overall a horrible experience

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nexous posted:

let me tell you how much I hate wearing pants. my balks sweat, I can’t scratch my legs, overall a horrible experience

Not much for femme fashion, but I do covet some of those modern pleated miniskirts...

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Sadly this is no longer SA's most controversial thread

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Fansy posted:

Sadly this is no longer SA's most controversial thread

never was

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

nexous posted:

Pants create a toxic build up of methane

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

VomitOnLino posted:

I think it's more likely needing permission to talk about the details of them dying. Like in many cases its always zip on anyone dying out of respect for the family and what not

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

NeonPunk posted:

I think it's more likely needing permission to talk about the details of them dying. Like in many cases its always zip on anyone dying out of respect for the family and what not

Right on. Makes sense

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Modus Pwnens posted:

(..)
E: I will say that I've found every elastomeric I've tried to be absolutely miserable, on top of how expensive they are up front. I have no idea how people can handle that.

It really depends on your local climate, I've found them (in my case a full-face) very comfortable when dry and cold, while damp and hot sucks.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
elastomerics are way more comfortable than disposables and anyone who says otherwise is a liar. I just don’t want to look like a complete weirdo

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

nexous posted:

elastomerics are way more comfortable than disposables and anyone who says otherwise is a liar. I just don’t want to look like a complete weirdo

past caring, lmao.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol guess what

The CDC hasn't just been watering down the transmission guidance for COVID

See also: mpox

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1694865077621359086

Very cool. Just the most normal things...

The needing permission would be about sharing intimate details about someone's death.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pingui posted:

It really depends on your local climate, I've found them (in my case a full-face) very comfortable when dry and cold, while damp and hot sucks.

Maybe I don't get the point about whether it's comfortable to mask or not. Currently (hot and humid) it is not - it is in fact quite miserable. But I still do it 100% of the time.

I mean, I don't wear seat-belts in the car because I enjoy the sensation of it rubbing against my chest...

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pingui posted:

I'm a sweaty Midwest boy (the ideal goon)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

loving amazing. The last time I quit these forums was because of KM and her bullshit crusade buddies. Only to come back years later to hear about how she imploded. I legit thought this SAD stuff felt so familiar. You know how I said arguing in SAD felt like it used to in DnD back when I used to do that and I needed to stop? That was the last time! Against KM and her crew. Amazing.

Anyone saying this is not similar is dead wrong.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

:yowie:

RIP, I liked your gimmick about 60% of the time.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

VomitOnLino posted:

Maybe I don't get the point about whether it's comfortable to mask or not. Currently (hot and humid) it is not - it is in fact quite miserable. But I still do it 100% of the time.

I mean, I don't wear seat-belts in the car because I enjoy the sensation of it rubbing against my chest...

I wear an FFP3 mask in the summer, so it doesn't really affect my protection much. But during terrible winter weather, the ffr was downright comfortable. A cozy bubble in strong winds and sleet.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm a sweaty Midwest boy (the ideal goon)

Try it out in winter.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Aug 25, 2023

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

NeonPunk posted:

That shouldn't be happening unless you're using a fresh mask right out of the wrappers. Next time just open up a n95 and let it air out a bit first before putting it on and you'll have a much better experience
It also happens to me, with non-fresh masks. The tighter the mask (and the longer I wear it), the more likely I am to get a mildly runny nose. I assumed it was the pressure applied to my sinuses or something.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nexous posted:

amen

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Breathetek outside/in summer

Vented aura for yardwork

Elastomeric for wood burning and woodwork

V-flex if I don't care what I look like (planes, washing the dog at the self-serve)

Kn95 in color with earsaver in class (not ideal, but it's friendlier? And I can coordinate.)

Trying out these teal n95/surgical hard cups rn, needs a staple in the bottom to stay snug

It really depends. I forget I'm wearing my v flex all the time

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phlag posted:

It also happens to me, with non-fresh masks. The tighter the mask (and the longer I wear it), the more likely I am to get a mildly runny nose. I assumed it was the pressure applied to my sinuses or something.

Yup, it happens to me too. Can't get a seal without SOME sort of pressure and the facial muscles/bones are pretty sensitive and delicate.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

wtf chickenpox is airborne? gotta be droplet/airborne dichotomy im assumin

The CDC posted:

Transmission

Varicella is highly contagious. The virus can be spread from person to person by direct contact, inhalation of aerosols from vesicular fluid of skin lesions of acute varicella or zoster, and possibly through infected respiratory secretions that also may be aerosolized. A person with varicella is considered contagious beginning one to two days before rash onset until all the chickenpox lesions have crusted. Vaccinated people may develop lesions that do not crust. These people are considered contagious until no new lesions have appeared for 24 hours.

https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/hcp/index.html#transmission

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Petey posted:

something i would really like for this thread is if more non-regulars read it for whatever reason and realize / can act on what the actual public health recommendation guidelines are. i think when i link people to treatingcovid.info — which is basically linked to/from the NIH 400+ page canonical clinical guidelines — they're often surprised by

1) how many people should be taking antivirals under the current guidelines vs how many actually are
2) how many people are dying right who qualified for antivirals and should have taken them but did not for many reasons that amount to a failure of public health institutions in the broadest terms
3) given 1/2, it might make sense to adopt more cautious behavior for oneself and for the broader public, regardless of the research on how cov2 is qualitatively different from other viruses

that last thing is where I think this thread, and me personally, have the hardest time navigating, because in fairness so are the fields of virology, immunology, and public health, as best as I can tell. It does seem to me to be worth asking the question, as vincent often does on twiv: well, do other viruses cause post-acute sequelae? is there long flu? and if the answer is yes (which seems to be true), what lesson do you then take from that? is it that we should accept the pre-2020 status quo re: flu, or that one might also want to modify behavior to more aggressively avoid/treat flu? that just feels like it splits down based on personal risk aversion and political differences — and connecting both of those is bound to generate conflicts, on dead comedy forums and otherwise.

Yeah, I gotta say when I was more hopeful I thought at least the one upside of everything that went down in 2020 would be sick pay, the importance of not having workers and kids spread everything in plaguepits, and sick people masking during cold and flu season would have carried on.
Instead we've got people pushing back against germ theory and public health being fully dismantled for 'personal choice'.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nexous posted:

or we could just move on

this, but the thread also took a W today, and that should be celebrated

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Yup, it happens to me too. Can't get a seal without SOME sort of pressure and the facial muscles/bones are pretty sensitive and delicate.

Yeah I think that it's a mixture of pressure and also the humidity of your own breath being recycled back. The reason being that for me it's worse in winter when condensation builds up a lot easier

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

biceps crimes posted:

no it really shouldn’t. a mentally Ill poster got banned. there is no we, we didn’t win, it had nothing to do with Covid

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nexous posted:

no it really shouldn’t. a mentally Ill poster got banned. there is no we, we didn’t win, it had nothing to do with Covid

ah you're right, i'll just go back to SAD

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

biceps crimes posted:

Nah, I'm interested in doing something about the fact that idiots are shaking up the forums like a bored kid with an ant farm. We've seen this site turned over by bullshit of this nature before many times, SA shouldn't have to deal with that any more.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
as long as the internet has existed so have people so bored they live to sow discord amongst those trying to post earnestly. unless your plan is to end the internet you need to learn to coexist by not letting them live in your head

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

This is their last chance to clean it up. It's now a better time than ever to troll the Covid thread.

Boba Pearl posted:

cspam posters want you to believe the masks keep the covid out, but in reality, it's for keeping their cringeon glands nice and glistening.

Boba Pearl posted:

I can outlift anyone in the Covid thread, which sounds like a brag, but it's gotta be max like what, 50 pounds? 60? How much does a costco palette of coke zero weight?

Boba Pearl posted:

I mean it's pretty clear that lightly trolling the covid thread was immediately met with

"This transwoman is a groomer, just like her hero Glenn Groomwald."

Boba Pearl posted:

The thread is a cesspit, with the absolute worst posters, headed now by one of the worst posters. They're allowed to do whatever they want, and face no repercussions, a day for handing out fake medicine? Nothing is being done about the constant homophobic and transphobic sentiment, and I'm not going to list it all out, because it's exhausting to look for attacks over and over and have nothing done about them. They constantly attack anyone whose an outsider. They are the worst the forums has to offer, and are constantly being handed rope by which they use to strangle the rest of the forums.

E: Fosborb did nothing about any of the attacks against me, whether they were transphobic, homophobic, about my art, or anything in between, and instead let his cadre of fake practitioners continue to give out dangerous medical advice.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

I don't think there's much to say, tbh. The people elsewhere who rile each other up over this thread and petition the mods to gas it because we're not "normal" included one particular piece of poo poo.

That speaks for itself.

Shiroc posted:

SPR was at the vanguard of previous times. There is more weight of evidence at this point that obsessive drama posters are more likely to do things horribly damaging to the forums than anyone else.

skooma512 posted:

free silicone thrills.

DickParasite posted:

So will you be probing the obvious poo poo-stirrers? I'm all for the "us vs them" posting to stop but it seems like it's only the "us" who get blamed for it.

:yeah:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

NeonPunk posted:

An appropriate one, and we should be trying to gather data on rates of event cancellation and matching them to waves.