Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://ogiuemaniax.com/2023/08/23/interview-super-robot-wars-terada-takanobu-otakon-2023/

interview with terada. not really any news but a few tidbits.

this one especially stood out to me. wonder what he tried to get. pacific rim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i feel like Voltron makes that statement a bit more unclear. haven't they used golion since world events bought it? hmm. perhaps there's a separate negotiation there, though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Light Gun Man posted:

i feel like Voltron makes that statement a bit more unclear. haven't they used golion since world events bought it? hmm. perhaps there's a separate negotiation there, though.

All things considered, the most likely candidate would probably have been Legendary Defender, yeah. SRW has never really done live-action series outside of the mobile games which don't and will never count. Even their Ultraman inclusion was the anime reboot. So Pacific Rim probably falls under the same umbrella as Super Sentai. Given that Golion showed up in W, it makes sense that they might have tried to get the Netflix series for one of the more recent games.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My guess would've been Transformers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

golion wouldnt count as 'non-japanese media', even if its owned by a western company. probably a different situation compared to like, pacific rim or even legendary defenders

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
obviously, he was referring to megas xlr.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

terada revealed as a gen:lock fan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rascyc posted:

My guess would've been Transformers.

Transformers is owned by Takara in Japan, Bandai's biggest toy rival. The Brave series is about as close as we'll probably get.

E: I wonder if they could manage the upcoming Netflix animated Ultraman movie for a more traditional rep of the franchise

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i think we all know the truth: they tried to get Truckasaurus but Fox wouldn't play ball

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

i think we all know the truth: they tried to get Truckasaurus but Fox wouldn't play ball

It was actually the NFL on Fox robots and they had a pretty crazy Iron Leaguer crossover planned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the shick razors game awards robot

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

It was actually the NFL on Fox robots and they had a pretty crazy Iron Leaguer crossover planned.

Jokes aside, I would loving love to get a dynamic kill to the NFL theme.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Jokes aside, I would loving love to get a dynamic kill to the NFL theme.

https://twitter.com/timetogoaxis/status/1183378234731307013?s=20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

it's beautiful

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

EclecticTastes posted:

All things considered, the most likely candidate would probably have been Legendary Defender, yeah. SRW has never really done live-action series outside of the mobile games which don't and will never count. Even their Ultraman inclusion was the anime reboot. So Pacific Rim probably falls under the same umbrella as Super Sentai. Given that Golion showed up in W, it makes sense that they might have tried to get the Netflix series for one of the more recent games.

go full ham and give us all the voltrons and related series in one game :getin:

Endorph posted:

golion wouldnt count as 'non-japanese media', even if its owned by a western company. probably a different situation compared to like, pacific rim or even legendary defenders

yeah i guess that's a little ambiguous. just a guess, anyway.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Transformers is owned by Takara in Japan, Bandai's biggest toy rival. The Brave series is about as close as we'll probably get.

Being TakaraTomy-owned hasn't stopped them using Zoids multiple times, so it feels like there's got to be more to it than that. Maybe it's Hasbro's involvement making the out-of-Japan releases they've done since V nonviable, maybe it's because the higher-ups see Transformers as more of a going concern they don't want to promote, maybe being a cartoon produced overseas makes Transformers G1 (which is very much the focus of Japanese fan-targeted Transformers material) more complicated to license in some way... or maybe Takara did just say no thanks. It does feel like there has to be a reason that a franchise that's kept a fanbase that long didn't even get a time-limited collab event in 6 years of X-Omega.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I see Nadesico B/C on my roster, I read it as Nabisco and think of delicious cookies and crackers.

About halfway through SRW T now. Loved seeing the cameos from SRW V in that secret stage.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:perfect:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

friendly reminder ichiro itano also directed the Angel Cop OVA
https://twitter.com/PlsWatchGundam/status/1183425619394207744?t=eByABP2-Yixd0iCYapBkCQ&s=19

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hogama posted:

It was originally hoped by the game team they'd be able to cross over the Disney content more than they were able to (like taking non-Goofy/Donald companions to different worlds) but Disney nixed that idea very early on in the development of 1. I mean, think of the fragility of the story integrity if you could have Hercules and Jack Skellington team up!

The truly tragic thing about none of the Disney Afternoon shows getting in KH is Greg Weisman is such a kind humble guy he would 100% write an exclusive new Gargoyles story just for Nomura:unsmith:

the Mighty Ducks TV show would be amazing but we're never getting it

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Western IP in SRW? We already got Disney's Atlantis - The Lost Empire in SRWX, didn't we?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

majestic

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

https://ogiuemaniax.com/2023/08/23/interview-super-robot-wars-terada-takanobu-otakon-2023/

interview with terada. not really any news but a few tidbits.

this one especially stood out to me. wonder what he tried to get. pacific rim?

clearly they were trying to license rugrats from Viacom, specifically rugrats in paris

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One day we'll get to see CLAN JADE FALCON in SRW

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They include Battletech in SRW, but it's specifically the Battletech cartoon and all the animations are based on the incredibly terrible off-model 90s CGI.

Nicolai Malthus shows up in every other stage before getting owned and swearing revenge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Willo567 posted:

clearly they were trying to license rugrats from Viacom, specifically rugrats in paris
Mari revealed to be a huge fan of Reptar

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My guesses would be either Pacific Rim or specifically G1 Transformers, since that also has a bunch of series where American involvement begins and ends at dubbing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know if they would have gone for Pacific Rim, given that they tend to shy away from live action properties that would require working around actor likenesses.

I actually really agree that it was probably Legendary Defender lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Mari revealed to be a huge fan of Reptar

Yeah, that checks out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure i've said it in this thread more than once but yeah Legendary Defender felt rather SRW to me while watching it. Pilot swaps! Battleships! Enemies changing sides!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Probably Megas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Senerio posted:

Probably Megas

Also unlikely, that had likely been written off long before SRW would have even considered it

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Also unlikely, that had likely been written off long before SRW would have even considered it

For those who don't know: Megas XLR is turbo-dead, a level beyond dead, as in it cannot even be licensed in a way that generates revenue for the license holder due to tax writeoff issues, according to the interview linked above.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hokuto posted:

For those who don't know: Megas XLR is turbo-dead, a level beyond dead, as in it cannot even be licensed in a way that generates revenue for the license holder due to tax writeoff issues, according to the interview linked above.

It's extremely stupid that written-off media isn't just automatically placed into the public domain, I think is the main sticking point for everyone. But that's not anything Banpresto can do anything about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hokuto posted:

So you're saying there's a chance

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Yeah when WB started writing off all that stuff this year, I was just like "first time?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1699305009421095161

Another bit of Terada talking about stuff, this time about Masoukishin and its development.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a few more too, here you go!

Short Alpha Gaiden anecdote

Long-form F and F Final development retrospective

Lots of really interesting stuff in here, and it all very much debunks the Western assumption that Banpresto dumped Winkysoft after F/Final. It was in fact Winkysoft who parted ways due to their inability to keep up with Banpresto's increasingly unreasonable crunch demands, and Terada always wanted to work with them again if a Masoukishin sequel ever panned out (and it did!).

Terada's quote at the end of the F/Final discussion is extremely relevant to all SRW discussions on both sides of the Pacific:

quote:

I see some people in the replies to my F/Final story thread claiming that the Sega-Bandai merger had to have some bearing on what was happening, but it didn't. You're all free to come up with whatever personal theories you like, but as someone who studied PR sociology back in college, I find it fascinating the way speculation by third parties morphs into the gospel truth as it spreads. (Fun fact: My graduation thesis was about gossip and the way it spreads.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for translating these, they're really interesting. Though they're also pretty rough dev stories.

As a more recent srw fan, i'm not super familiar with how things were going with Banpresto until like the VXT series so I hope after Alpha things got a bit better for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thank you for translating!