Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

StratGoatCom posted:

An appropriate one, and we should be trying to gather data on rates of event cancellation and matching them to waves.

that sounds interesting, if someone wants to put all that together

excess concert cancelations

cum cancelations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salient
Jan 2, 2021

quote:

https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/catalent-accused-of-using-shortcuts-in-covid-vaccine-production.php

Catalent accused of using shortcuts in COVID vaccine production

Current and former Catalent board members have been accused of short-handing production regulations and providing inaccurate information about the company’s business and financial status in a shareholder derivative lawsuit. The suit, Husky v. Catalent Inc., was filed in the US District Court for the District of Delaware on Aug. 11. It focuses on COVID-19 related products the drug manufacturing company pushed out between August 30, 2021 and October 31, 2022.

Catalent experienced rapid growth at the beginning of the pandemic, working on over 100 COVID-related products for customers at key facilities in Bloomington and Brussels, Belgium. In an effort to keep up with this increasing demand, the company was accused of “cutting corners on safety and control procedures at its key production facilities,” drawing the FDA’s attention. The FDA cited the company for “bacterial growth, faulty air filtration systems, subpar equipment maintenance, and control procedure problems.” Because of these contaminations, millions of COVID vaccine booster shots filled by Catalent were delayed. During this time, the company was also making false public statements about its adherence to regulatory rules. Production issues are on-going. Bloomington’s Catalent location was reinspected this April and May, resulting in a Form FDA 483, meaning violations were found.

As vaccine demand began to decrease, Catalent’s senior management kept reporting revenues with constant inflation. However, it sold more vaccines to direct buyers like Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson than they could provide to end consumers, according to shareholders. Once the company announced that the vaccine demand was falling, a 7.4% stock decrease immediately followed. Despite this, the lawsuit documents that defendants continued to release misleading statements about Catalent’s revenue and product demand and the company has been charged.

The company has not responded at this time.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

that sounds interesting, if someone wants to put all that together

excess concert cancelations

cum cancelations

Concert postponements are up, but where are the cancellations??

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

She drinks Coke Zero? Well I have nothing to add lol.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The story was sad enough already. He'd been away with health issues for a while. The running assumption was it was mental health related after a friend recently died. Bray was young, and pretty well liked by most people he worked with.

I hope this isn't a sign of more of this coming with wrestlers, they all have such ridiculously punishing lifestyles that it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What's the thread thought on when booster shots will actually be available this fall? I think I heard end of Sept?

I'm going to be doing masked travelling for a dead (mid 90s) relative's memorial service early Oct and hoping I can get some juice before for extra protection.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Performers of any kind are just getting used up. In a normal world the audience would simply wear a drat mask but you know, liberals and their treats

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tangy yet delightful posted:

What's the thread thought on when booster shots will actually be available this fall? I think I heard end of Sept?

I'm going to be doing masked travelling for a dead (mid 90s) relative's memorial service early Oct and hoping I can get some juice before for extra protection.

This is a wild guess on my part but I would imagine they'll want to have them alongside the flu vaccine.

I've heard no word on it from my healthcare employer.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

So uhh... is this a different one from the J&J producing facility that had a comically long list of similar stuff?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Coolness Averted posted:

The story was sad enough already. He'd been away with health issues for a while. The running assumption was it was mental health related after a friend recently died. Bray was young, and pretty well liked by most people he worked with.

I hope this isn't a sign of more of this coming with wrestlers, they all have such ridiculously punishing lifestyles that it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

A friend of mine already died between discord posts last year.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

SardonicTyrant posted:

A friend of mine already died between discord posts last year.

Oh, I am so sorry. :sympathy:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Supposedly 3rd or 4th week of September.

https://www.webmd.com/covid/news/20230814/new-covid-shots-will-available-september posted:

New COVID Shots Will Be Available in September

Aug. 14, 2023 – The newest version of the COVID-19 vaccine will be available by the end of September, according to the CDC.

The updated vaccine still needs final sign-offs from the FDA and the CDC.

“We anticipate that they are going to be available for most folks by the third or fourth week of September,” Director Mandy Cohen, MD, MPH, said
(..)

I am reluctant to accept that date with certainty, as the rollout is kinda looking like a clusterfuck so far. They still haven't done the sign-off and nominally eligibility hasn't been defined yet (thought the indication is that it will be available to most, possibly even children as someone had mentioned their pediatrician could order iirc).

The move to a private market model is also extremely poorly defined. If pharmacies are paying out of pocket, it could be a complete poo poo show.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

StratGoatCom posted:

Oh, I am so sorry. :sympathy:
Thank you <3, but what I meant was, those sorts of stories are going keep happening, sadly.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Poppers posted:

Can we at least acknowledge that wearing a mask is less comfortable than not wearing a mask

wearing pants is less comfortable than freeballing but i somehow manage in public

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp, had another friend get long covided. brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. went in for some bloodwork today and their doctor said that it's probably just bad vibes due to society collapsing and work stress, naturally. nurse there made a point of mentioning to them that she was completely unconcerned about covid because of course.

Pingui posted:

I am reluctant to accept that date with certainty, as the rollout is kinda looking like a clusterfuck so far. They still haven't done the sign-off and nominally eligibility hasn't been defined yet (thought the indication is that it will be available to most, possibly even children as someone had mentioned their pediatrician could order iirc).

iirc, the updated shots are going to be pretty meh against ba.2.86 if that ends up being a big thing, right?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Aug 25, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:nurgle:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/24/us/kentucky-schools-covid-19-strep-outbreaks/index.html posted:

Kentucky school districts cancel classes less than 2 weeks into school year due to Covid-19, viruses and strep outbreaks

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Between covid, bullets and state mandated perverts, the threshold for homeschooling or correspondence education being a better option gets ever lower in the states.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

iirc, the updated shots are going to be pretty meh against ba.2.86 if that ends up being a big thing, right?

Well, uhh... here is the CDC risk assessment

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/covid-19-variant.html posted:

Viral Genomics: BA.2.86 is a newly designated variant of SARS-CoV-2 that has a number of additional mutations compared with previously detected Omicron variants. Specifically, the genetic sequence of BA.2.86 has changes that represent over 30 amino acid differences compared with BA.2, which was the dominant Omicron lineage in early 2022. BA.2.86 also has >35 amino acid changes compared with the more recently circulating XBB.1.5, which was dominant through most of 2023. This number of genetic differences is roughly of the same magnitude as seen between the initial Omicron variant (BA.1) and previous variants, such as Delta (B.1.617.2).

Immune Impacts: The large number of mutations in this variant raises concerns of greater escape from existing immunity from vaccines and previous infections compared with other recent variants. For example, one analysis of mutations suggests the difference may be as large as or greater than that between BA.2 and XBB.1.5, which circulated nearly a year apart. However, virus samples are not yet broadly available for more reliable laboratory testing of antibodies, and it is too soon to know the real-world impacts on immunity. Nearly all the U.S. population has antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 from vaccination, previous infection, or both, and it is likely that these antibodies will continue to provide some protection against severe disease from this variant. This is an area of ongoing scientific investigation.

How that interacts with the updated shots (which are targeting XBB.1.5) is a bit of a shrug and a wave.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Aug 25, 2023

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

free silicone thrills.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
a good friend of my gf's got covid for the second time. that is not a surprise. however, she (the friend)

a) has at least 3-4 qualifying comorbidities that i know about as a casual friend-of-friend
b) her doctor told her "just ride it out" and not take pax because "it's day 3 and that means you can only take it 2 more days anyway" (??)
c) i sent her the google doc / NIH guidelines, but she is just deciding to follow her doctor's advice even though it's not consistent with the NIH clinical guidelines and "feels way sicker this time"

this is all in a major urban area with some of the supposed best health care systems in the country. not great!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

He was off TV and live events since February of this year with a "strange illness".

Minimizers already blaming the death on the vaccines on Twitter. Animals.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Petey posted:

a good friend of my gf's got covid for the second time. that is not a surprise. however, she (the friend)

a) has at least 3-4 qualifying comorbidities that i know about as a casual friend-of-friend
b) her doctor told her "just ride it out" and not take pax because "it's day 3 and that means you can only take it 2 more days anyway" (??)
c) i sent her the google doc / NIH guidelines, but she is just deciding to follow her doctor's advice even though it's not consistent with the NIH clinical guidelines and "feels way sicker this time"

this is all in a major urban area with some of the supposed best health care systems in the country. not great!

we have the tools

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

the only similarity is keith lee who is also a big guy who also got covid and had some heart related issue following it. however i think keith lee took less time off than bray.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

How that interacts with the updated shots (which are targeting XBB.1.5) is a bit of a shrug and a wave.

this seems fine, as we are now able to adjust our vaccines over a long weekend to meet the challenges of the day.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

It's only day two of the school year and people are already calling off sick with the vid. The principal is telling teachers to not to report positive tests because "we cannot give into the fear".

As if a pathogen is a terrorist cell or something.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Petey posted:

my "friend told by doc that their long covid is just world weariness w/nurse stating covid isn't even really a thing" post does carry a fancy boston pedigree

i sent them some long covid clinic and clinical trial links, which i guess means that i could be probed for big dogging medical professionals, but that's a risk i'm willing to take

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Okuteru posted:

It's only day two of the school year and people are already calling off sick with the vid. The principal is telling teachers to not to report positive tests because "we cannot give into the fear".

giving into the fear isn't really the complete thought
it's more like

"don't give into the fear that you, a being gifted with sentience rightfully have, because it would make things inconvenient for people who rely on the status quo for their comfort"

we need shorthand tho due to covid causing memory loss

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StratGoatCom posted:

It's literally the same poo poo that KM pulled with FYAD.

for so many reasons, no this is not like what koala's march did.

edit - also i meant to respond to this earlier

Pingui posted:

Japan did the same thing a bit back, so South Korea have had a good opportunity to see the consequences well in advance. The public health economists smartly concluded that it would be a net good for the economy.

When you or I look at this graph, we will of course only think of the human consequences. A pervasive and wrong-headed way to think. So let me lay out the lie. This is the graph:

BUT THIS DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE ECONOMY! Like complete sociopaths you and I are not considering the long-term consequences of a continued lockdown!

What the graph doesn't even consider is that most of the people hospitalized are old and/or frail and hardly contribute to the economy.

So maybe we should all be a bit better.

korea is probably not going to try and take too many queues from japan for a whole host of reasons that are far too complicated to get into.

i don't doubt they'd potentially benefit from it but in general my experience is 'why should we care what japan does (except for when its something bad like the fukushima water situation right now)?'

especially under a right wing government that promised to, iirc, stop the needless measures moon had been holding onto and only started to loosen up when the elections were happening in 2022. like there was a lot of 'ok sure these restrictions are fine' at the start and then after a good while and a lot of 'no we changed it to this, oops its now this' sort of policy making people just started to get really frustrated.

once the vaccinations rolled out for everyone in late 2021 and the boosters, which happened just before the election stuff started for 2022, people were pretty much fed up with being dogmatic with the restrictions. especially since those restrictions drove a lot of people out of business (which is a whole different thing to discuss given how flimsily most businesses will open and close at the drop of a hat there). sucks but that's just how it happened to play out.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Aug 25, 2023

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Okuteru posted:

a second spike protein has hit the ace2 receptor

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
These numbers do not look good, except.... Alaska?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Mekchu posted:

the only similarity is keith lee who is also a big guy who also got covid and had some heart related issue following it. however i think keith lee took less time off than bray.

There are plenty of wrestlers who had to slow down in the ring because of COVID. Keith Lee is a lot slower than he used to be. There is a wrestler named Kalisto who almost died because of the disease.

Then you have athletes like Lamar Jackson who have had COVID 2 - 3 times and are still performing well.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Okuteru posted:

There are plenty of wrestlers who had to slow down in the ring because of COVID. Keith Lee is a lot slower than he used to be. There is a wrestler named Kalisto who almost died because of the disease.

Then you have athletes like Lamar Jackson who have had COVID 2 - 3 times and are still performing well.

moneyball, but it's just finding decent options w/type O blood

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pillowpants posted:

These numbers do not look good, except.... Alaska?

hell yea Arizona least lovely at something

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Insanite posted:

moneyball, but it's just finding decent options w/type O blood

Japanese vg character profiles were prophetic

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okuteru posted:

i had no idea about the other people as i'm not a big pro wrestling person and only heard about keith lee and bray in respect to covid/each other a few times.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

StratGoatCom posted:

Between covid, bullets and state mandated perverts, the threshold for homeschooling or correspondence education being a better option gets ever lower in the states.

"state mandated perverts" ?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
reference to school genital inspectors?

please tell me it's a reference to that and not some other thing

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

aw frig aw dang it posted:

"state mandated perverts" ?

https://thehill.com/news/wire/3519065-ohio-bill-would-require-genital-exams-for-student-athletes-if-sex-is-questioned/

barmy poo poo like this.

BOGO LOAD posted:

reference to school genital inspectors?

please tell me it's a reference to that and not some other thing

got it in one.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

oh god gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012