Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Senso (1954 Italian)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!
Aguirre the Wrath of God
The Leopard
The Favourite
Zama
The Draughtman's Contract
Let Joy Reign Supreme

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

Ran, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Polanski's Macbeth, The Prisoner of Zenda, Babylon, Abel Gance's Napoleon (it ends on a high point, but you know Napoleon didn't go out the way he would've preferred. It's also absolutely incredible what it was doing back in 27).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

Sergei Bondarchuk's War & Peace (all four parts)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Thanks y'all appreciate so many recommendations

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bald Stalin posted:

Heaven's Gate fits this perfectly if you will accept an 1890s Western as a period piece.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O then Slow West might be good for you too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bald Stalin posted:

The Proposition.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Timby posted:

The Proposition.

Oh yeah this is one of my favorites. Both beautiful then horribly ugly. A film you can physically touch and Feel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bald Stalin posted:

Oh yeah this is one of my favorites. Both beautiful then horribly ugly. A film you can physically touch and Feel.

I mean, the Godfather trilogy counts if you haven't watched the movies in a while. No one ends up happy in those and the production values are beyond spectacular.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is right up your alley, and also happens to be the best film of the 21st century thus far

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is right up your alley, and also happens to be the best film of the 21st century thus far

Does it have someone saying “DRAINAGE!” Very aggressively? No, didn’t think so. Not best film.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Bald Stalin posted:

Bugsy Malone. :haw:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I watched John Wick: Chapter 4, thought Donnie Yen was an obvious standout, and realized I'd only ever seen him in American movies (Wick, Rogue One, Blade II, etc.) where he's in a supporting role. What would be the best movies that really showcase his talent? I was particularly taken with how playful his fighting style was and would love to see more like that, but not asking for only that in the recommendations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I watched John Wick: Chapter 4, thought Donnie Yen was an obvious standout, and realized I'd only ever seen him in American movies (Wick, Rogue One, Blade II, etc.) where he's in a supporting role. What would be the best movies that really showcase his talent? I was particularly taken with how playful his fighting style was and would love to see more like that, but not asking for only that in the recommendations.

Yip Man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Flashpoint is a frequently boring HK cop movie with a Demon Yen minute beatdown in the middle and an absolutely incredible, best in class martial arts slugfest at the end that feels like a continuous highlight reel.

SPL is my favorite work and the last of the truly great HK heroic bloodshed movies.

Special ID and Kung Fu Killer are both pretty good, there is some quality Yen in there.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Donnie has a brief but memorable role in the historical epic/Jet Li vehicles HERO and Once Upon A Time In China. As a lead, the best ones have been covered here already: IP Man, Sakra, Flash Point, etc but he also shines in the comedy Enter The Fat Dragon where he dons a fat suit for the whole movie

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just saw Wild Tales, an Argentinien/Spanish movie. Amazing. Anything else worth watching from Argentina? I have already seen a fair few Spanish thrillers + tv shows.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ulio posted:

Just saw Wild Tales, an Argentinien/Spanish movie. Amazing. Anything else worth watching from Argentina? I have already seen a fair few Spanish thrillers + tv shows.

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) is the big one. I liked the The Swamp AKA La Ciénaga (2001) too but that's not a thriller.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zogo posted:

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) is the big one. I liked the The Swamp AKA La Ciénaga (2001) too but that's not a thriller.

Ya The Secret In Their Eyes is in my list, have you seen Amores Perros? That's the other one that keeps popping up in lists.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ulio posted:

Ya The Secret In Their Eyes is in my list, have you seen Amores Perros? That's the other one that keeps popping up in lists.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest to come out of Mexico.

A few more from Spain that you might like:

-The Invisible Guest (2016)
-Timecrimes (2007)
-Open Your Eyes (1997)

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years as far as movies go. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Dark Knight. I went back and saw it 3 times. And ever since then I started to lose touch with cinema. Recommend me notable movies since 2008.

I prefer great story over great execution. A movie can have some crustiness to it as long as the story holds up and the characters are strong. I abhore cliche, tropey, or predictable plots, I lose interest very quickly. I have a lot of fun with stories that surprise or manipulate the viewer. I generally love Tarantino movies with the exception of Kill Bill, I hate more mainstream PG superhero movies, or any action movie where the protagonist has excessive plot armor. I don't enjoy horror, but tragedies intrigue me. As far as comedy, the toilet scene in Dumb and Dumber made me laugh hysterically to the point of tears, to give you an idea. I have a soft spot for sci-fi and historical stories.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Biggest problem I have here is that you're using a bunch of terms that don't mean anything. Not enough information given.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mad Max: Fury Road.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
If you love Tarrentino and looking for films post 2008, Inglorious Basterds and Django are a good place to start.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

whiskas posted:

I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years as far as movies go....

I'm in almost the same boat since I acquired a weird conditional eye pain disability in 2008. Still I have some:

Moonlight
Joker (on the off chance you haven't seen it, since you watched The Dark Knight 3 times)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I mean one no-brainer would be to go watch everything else Nolan has made.

Fury Road is spot on, absolutely.

What's a "smart" action movie that's come out in theatres recently. Have you seen Dune? Oh, the animated Spiderman movies are very good, the characters are well developed. Also the D&D movie, it's an excellent example of a movie that's better written than it "needed" to be.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Bonus : watch this while really, really high then rewatch it the next day.

It's like having 2 different movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

whiskas posted:

I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years as far as movies go. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Dark Knight. I went back and saw it 3 times. And ever since then I started to lose touch with cinema. Recommend me notable movies since 2008.

I prefer great story over great execution. A movie can have some crustiness to it as long as the story holds up and the characters are strong. I abhore cliche, tropey, or predictable plots, I lose interest very quickly. I have a lot of fun with stories that surprise or manipulate the viewer. I generally love Tarantino movies with the exception of Kill Bill, I hate more mainstream PG superhero movies, or any action movie where the protagonist has excessive plot armor. I don't enjoy horror, but tragedies intrigue me. As far as comedy, the toilet scene in Dumb and Dumber made me laugh hysterically to the point of tears, to give you an idea. I have a soft spot for sci-fi and historical stories.

Dredd.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bonus : watch this while really, really high then rewatch it the next day.

It's like having 2 different movies.

Can concur.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I mean one no-brainer would be to go watch everything else Nolan has made.

:hmmyes:

whiskas posted:

You've left lots of room open for interpretation but I thought about it for a while and here are some not already mentioned that you might like:

-Alita: Battle Angel
-Brawl in Cell Block 99
-Dinner for Schmucks
-Dogtooth
-Dragged Across Concrete
-Edge of Tomorrow
-Ender's Game
-Gone Girl
-Good Time
-Kick-rear end
-Manchester by the Sea
-The Other Guys
-Sicario
-Toni Erdmann
-Wild Tales

I'll stop at fifteen. That's one film per year since 2008.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Was just coming to post Edge of Tomorrow

but now that I think about it maybe start with Top Gun Maverick and go backwards

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not sure enders game qualifies as having either good story or good execution

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It should have been two movies

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

whiskas posted:

- Blade Runner 2049
- Looper
- Ex Machina
- Moon
- The Arrival
- Pineapple Express
- Tree of Life

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Heck, the latest Dune film is worth a watch, and then if OP enjoys it they're primed for to catch part 2 on the big screen soon*

*Heard it's delayed?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

March 1, 2024

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drive.
Knives Out.
Arrival.
The Raid.
Only God Forgives.
The Guest. (This borders horror)
The Power of the Dog.