Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think the alliance raid story is decent but it's not being told well. I do also think this would be more interesting if it was a normal 8 man raid story so that everyone can get a moment in the spotlight but alas.

The fights are fine, though? Like, they're not hard, no, but they look cool. Normal alliance raid stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like there needs to be a better system for casual tomestone upgrade than "run all 3 raids for a single upgrade" at the final tier.

I'm not sure how many people run alliance roulette at max level. Most people I know at least use it for the Exp bonus. I think the coin in the main incentive to get the lower tier raids filled currently.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I usually hit alliance roulette for capped tomes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Antivehicular posted:

With all due respect, Cleretic, it sounds like you're kind of just bored of normal-difficulty content at this point. Have you considered taking a break from the game? Or, I dunno, getting really into PotD or something?

I've been getting big into fishing lately.

I'm torn between being excited to see what kind of horrible horseshit they'll throw at us for the EW legendary fish, and dreading them because I know Stethacanthus is still drat near impossible. You want content that retains its challenge even after we've overgeared it and know all the steps? That's legendary fish.

(Also I have gotten really into PotD and HoH solo, it's fun but it's very much a different thing and I'm not always in the mood. EO has more interesting enemies but they're all loving mountains of HP, so soloing it's pretty unfun.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 25, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The fights are fine, the plot feels toothless. It's interesting implications, figuring out that Althyk and Nymeia were in Elpis without the game actively spelling it out was really cool, but there's no stakes. We're fighting them for reasons we actively aren't being told in places removed from the real world that explicitly exist just as arenas. All the other alliance raids have you exploring a space; sure it's just a tube as far as your actual movement is concerned, but it's a tube through a tower, a ruined city, another ruined city, a ruined bunker...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the ew ars for me are actually the first time I've ever had any real contact with the pantheon of the setting

sure, i picked a god's sign to be born under at character creation but until i got to aglaia, i had no idea what they looked like or what their attitude was or anything like that

the gods occasionally get mentioned, or invoked in dialogue, and sometimes you learn something about a particular god if it's thematically appropriate, but for me and probably a number of other people, this is the first real, extended chance you get to learn anything about the vast majority of them without having to dig into, like, the encyclopedia eorzea

so i rather like them

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

We just did the biggest stakes thing with Endsinger so I'm happy to savor the fluffy nothing of the Twelve. Just horsing around with some fun god beings and maybe Lore happens but it's nbd if it's light on that too. Also, it looks cool and has good music

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'll definitely be curious what the third act of the raids ends up being, as yeah right now there's not a whole lot to it, and the stakes feel like a bit of a cop out in the first wing.

It feels a bit like the "back to adventuring" treasure hunt stuff they've done before with some of the dungeons and stuff, but stretched out over a raid tier, so hopefully there'll be some payoff there.

Edit: the other alliance raids tend to start out low stakes exploring and ramp up, but this one is backwards because it starts out with the 12 threatening you and then it turns out they were just joshing but they'd still like to test your mettle with some promise of reward.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 25, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly I'm enjoying a depiction of Gods and the spiritual world of Etheirys' culture being both real and benevolent, it's the same reason I enjoyed the Auspices questline. The gods themselves are charming and endearing, the fights are fun, what more can be asked for?

It's just... Nice. It feels nice, celebratory.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I mean, it’s also act 2 of 3. We’ve explicitly connected the Watcher to the 12, and they’re still being cagey about what this whole rigmarole is about.

And then it was also an abject examination of religion in FFXIV and how it changes, and then changes the gods themselves. Menphina’s dog is Dalamud! That’s weird!

And yes, the lore heads knew about that for a very long time, and the resulting question of if the 12 were primals, legends, heroes, whatever. I don’t think that it’s terrible to get those questions answered, even if they were largely the answers we could have expected from this games themes and patterns. Guessing they were allies of Venat because of previous hints is a sign of good writing!

I sometimes think that most of the grousing stems from the longer patch cycle.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

M.c.P posted:

I mean, it’s also act 2 of 3. We’ve explicitly connected the Watcher to the 12, and they’re still being cagey about what this whole rigmarole is about.

And then it was also an abject examination of religion in FFXIV and how it changes, and then changes the gods themselves. Menphina’s dog is Dalamud! That’s weird!

And yes, the lore heads knew about that for a very long time, and the resulting question of if the 12 were primals, legends, heroes, whatever. I don’t think that it’s terrible to get those questions answered, even if they were largely the answers we could have expected from this games themes and patterns. Guessing they were allies of Venat because of previous hints is a sign of good writing!

I sometimes think that most of the grousing stems from the longer patch cycle.

Yeah I don't think it's bad by any means, at least not particularly worse than the others. It'll never be the Ivalice raids but that's asking for quite a lot.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah I'm loving the 24 man story personally. I adored the last mission set

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think it's fascinating how the gods' forms have changed over time to match the beliefs of the people worshiping them. They're very strong but they have no power over others, in fact the opposite is true. It's a neat twist on religion that fits with what we've already seen of a world where peoples' hopes and beliefs interact with magic to make reality.

As for what's going on, I figure either they were being sustained by Hydaelyn somehow and are going to fade away without her, and they want you, her chosen champion, to remember that they once lived. Or it's a job interview

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah I'm really liking the current alliance story as I like the commentary on faith and how that has changed the twelve and how they interact with their followers.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

I think it's fascinating how the gods' forms have changed over time to match the beliefs of the people worshiping them.

The most crushing part of this is Menphina will lose Dalamud eventually. But I def agree, I love that spin on the gods

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The main thing I'm wondering is who we're going to be facing in the final wing of the Alliance raid besides Thaliak, Llymlaen and Oschon. Is the Watcher going to come down from the moon to spar with us, or is there an as yet unknown threat we'll have to face?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hydaelyn Prime

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

W.T. Fits posted:

The main thing I'm wondering is who we're going to be facing in the final wing of the Alliance raid besides Thaliak, Llymlaen and Oschon. Is the Watcher going to come down from the moon to spar with us, or is there an as yet unknown threat we'll have to face?

The final unknown threat is the power above the twelve: Naoki Yoshida

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Fight 1: Thaliak
Fight 2: Llymlaen
Fight 3: Oschon (Deryk)
Fight 4: The Thing Beneath Silvertear Lake (Deryk's Opo-opo)

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.
Fourth boss is a 24-person version of the music rhythm mini game to represent a feast with the gods.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Valentin posted:

Fight 3: Oschon (Deryk)
Fight 4: The Thing Beneath Silvertear Lake (Deryk's Opo-opo)
My general thought has been that Oschon is the opo-opo, as we've seen the other gods take animal forms already so that seems like the easy connection to make. Not sure what Deryk's deal will be; maybe he's an evil thing of some sort that Oschon has been guiding so that WoL + the rest of the Twelve can take care of the issue, or he's going to be possessed by an evil spirit and we have to beat the spirit to save Deryk.

W.T. Fits posted:

Is the Watcher going to come down from the moon to spar with us
My assumption had been that one of the Twelve is based on The Watcher and we'll finally get to ask which one is him but maybe I'm forgetting the details of how that conversation went

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It feels like Deryk is the Watcher. The Opo-opo might be Oschon or whatever but Deryk repeatedly makes cryptic mentions in his own way.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

iPodschun posted:

My assumption had been that one of the Twelve is based on The Watcher and we'll finally get to ask which one is him but maybe I'm forgetting the details of how that conversation went

The last line of the epigraph in the Omphalos states

quote:

He who is unnamed shall watch unflinching. His duty: to stand guard over his charge, always and unto the end.

G'raha speculated that there might be some kind of connection to the Watcher, but they don't outright state that the two are the same being.

So that raises the questions, "Is the Watcher actually the unnamed thirteenth god of the pantheon, or is it someone else? And if it is someone else, what could they be watching over that would necessitate such unceasing vigilance?"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It kind of reminds me of Urianger's comments about Azem's title being similar to the names Azim and Azeyma and how there may be a connection there, but now that's ultimately been proven to be false for at least one of them.

I'm really curious if it is the Watcher. Whether it's the one we know, a different instance of the original person we haven't met or it's a red herring.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I also feel like the raid questline isn't answering the questions I actually have about The Twelve.

Why are they so Eorzea-focused?
Why doesn't the rest of the world worship them?
Why aren't they present on the Reflections?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I have a feeling that at least the last one, if not more, will be answered in the conclusion.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mordiceius posted:

Why are they so Eorzea-focused?
Why doesn't the rest of the world worship them?

These two were part of why I was hoping they were just really old Auspices

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Euphro was super boring visually but I loved Aglaia. The story is sort of interesting and it’s not about an impending worldwide disaster and imo that’s fine. Not everything has to be so serious

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It would be better if done in the style of Disney's Hercules.

That's right, I want more musicals in my 14. Good King not Danny Elfman can't be the only one we get

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

Euphro was super boring visually but I loved Aglaia. The story is sort of interesting and it’s not about an impending worldwide disaster and imo that’s fine. Not everything has to be so serious

Whaaa I loved Eurphro's aesthetics! Aglaia was wonderful too though

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It's frustrating because the visuals are good but there's still no sense of place. It feels like each deity is just loading up their holodeck simulation and that's not what I come to 24mans for.

I think the Stormblood 24mans are the best for creating that sense of place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

It's frustrating because the visuals are good but there's still no sense of place. It feels like each deity is just loading up their holodeck simulation and that's not what I come to 24mans for.

I think the Stormblood 24mans are the best for creating that sense of place.

I mean that is the point. They are literally taking you to their deity realm. They don't have a place in the world any more than Olympus or Valhalla does.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

iPodschun posted:

My general thought has been that Oschon is the opo-opo, as we've seen the other gods take animal forms already so that seems like the easy connection to make. Not sure what Deryk's deal will be; maybe he's an evil thing of some sort that Oschon has been guiding so that WoL + the rest of the Twelve can take care of the issue, or he's going to be possessed by an evil spirit and we have to beat the spirit to save Deryk.

in all honesty I think it's most likely that deryk and the opo-opo are oschon, split into human and divine aspects, wandering the earth to share in mankind's solitude and judge its worthiness to inherit the star, and the fact he has brought us back here is a sign that he has made his determination and needs the rest to sign off. the thirteenth is the watcher so he can explain the plot to us, it'd be too crowded to introduce another long-lost caged horror and its guardian now.

then for the final boss fight we don't need a new enemy because they're finally going to give us a council fight against every member of the twelve at once

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that is the point. They are literally taking you to their deity realm. They don't have a place in the world any more than Olympus or Valhalla does.

And that's loving boring.

I feel like there is a way they could have done it that doesn't make each combat arena so incredibly disconnected from the each other. Hell, the EW 8man raids did better to make everything feel connected than the 24mans - and you queue for those individually!

I should probably just stop bitching because it just seems like this set of raids was designed in a way completely antithetical to what I want/enjoy in 24mans.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think the last wing are the last 3 of the twelve we haven't fought yet plus Deryk, who is the second member of the twelve not mentioned and the Azem of the bunch, which brings their number to 14. The Twelve are Hydaelyn's recreated Convocation to counter the ascians and keep the world in order.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This has to be a troll. There is no story in the ShB alliance raid.

Nier fans man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i find some of the dialogue in the nier raids pretty amusing but yeah the story feels like one beat stretched out over 7 hours

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

the story feels like one beat stretched out over 7 hours

Ah, so the EW alliance raids

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the Nier raid's plot but the trick is that the actual Nier stuff is the least interesting part, it's mostly window dressing for the dwarf plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but am the only one that finds the EW 24man storyline tremendously loving boring?

Mordiceius posted:

Ah, so the EW alliance raids
So this was a lie