Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I haven’t played a wrestling game in forever. Have they not just established a simple season mode where you can just play through and get random title shots and pass the events each year or something? That feels like it was there like a decade ago and the simplest way sports games are enjoyable long term. No?

No there’s a weird branching thing with 4 individual blocks pulled from a pool of like 12-16 possible paths that basically have absolutely nothing to do with eachother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Road to the Elite is fun for about one playthrough unless you really want to see all the branches but for every fun quirky thing like going to sightsee stretched out .jpgs of famous landmarks with Chuck Taylor, every other thing is so unbelievably repetitive it's just not really worth it.

The actual fighting is very fun so online matches are something you could conceivably replay a bunch but they allow custom fighters in ranked online so everyone makes incredibly overpowered CAWs with unbelievably cheap movesets and dominated online to the point that everybody got chased away from it. Even if they took CAWs out there's still so many ways to cheese matches and of course people quitting the moment they're starting to lose. It's just a loving cesspool with who is left playing online.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

katatonic posted:

Tried booting up Stadium Stampede on the Steam Deck, game ended twice in a row instantly due to an “Easy Anti-Cheat error”.

This poo poo is cooked.

The two matches I tried to get into both worked on Switch. That's how I learned they changed the grapple button and replaced it with a jump button!

But otherwise it worked.

STAC Goat posted:

I haven’t played a wrestling game in forever. Have they not just established a simple season mode where you can just play through and get random title shots and pass the events each year or something? That feels like it was there like a decade ago and the simplest way sports games are enjoyable long term. No?

No. There's nothing like that or even a basic arcade mode to fight through a bunch of random matches. And if you don't win the Battle Royale at the start of RTE mode you always start in the same story so it's just kind of lame to slog through.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really don't know how to feel about Stadium Stampede. It's buggy, janky, and the netcode is a nightmare and a half, and yet i'm having fun with it.

...and i guess anything that actually gets more people playing on PC is good :shrugs:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It is incredibly bizarre to me that fighting game fanatic Kenny Omega allowed a game with his name on it to ship without an Arcade Mode.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

It is incredibly bizarre to me that fighting game fanatic Kenny Omega allowed a game with his name on it to ship without an Arcade Mode.

Look he got himself to be the most broken, OP character, he's satisfied :v:

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

What determines if a wrestler has the shiny gold outfit or not?

Also it's way more fun and has more players than I expected.

Lol nevermind. They're mostly ai characters.

Lucifunk fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 24, 2023

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Starting to think YUKES might not be cut out for this work

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stadium Stampede is glitchy as poo poo and not very fun. If I start anywhere but the field it spawns me as an all-grey putty figure who can't run or attack or do anything but jump.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
They should have just used all the Stadium Stampede assets for the main game so that we can go backstage and actually wrestle.

Long-Time Lurker fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 25, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Stadium Stampede is glitchy as poo poo and not very fun. If I start anywhere but the field it spawns me as an all-grey putty figure who can't run or attack or do anything but jump.

are you seeing things like 40/30 players in the pre-load lobby when this happens or is it actually numerically correct? Just asking since nL encountered that on stream but it happened when there were like 42 players out of 30 lobbied up

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

are you seeing things like 40/30 players in the pre-load lobby when this happens or is it actually numerically correct? Just asking since nL encountered that on stream but it happened when there were like 42 players out of 30 lobbied up

Yes! I had no idea if it was meant to be that way or not but every game I played ranged from 37-42/30. I don't know if there were actually that many though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yes! I had no idea if it was meant to be that way or not but every game I played ranged from 37-42/30. I don't know if there were actually that many though.

From what they experienced it looks like everyone "extra" became the grey jobber dudes that die in one hit.

Which leads to the question of how Yukes can't figure out how to cap a lobby.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Basic Chunnel posted:

Starting to think YUKES might not be cut out for this work

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
There was a certain narrative that Yuke's was a good dev being held down by the restrictions associated with having to make yearly WWE releases. I think that's shattered now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the core gameplay is better than the 2k series by far

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Played a few rounds of Stampede and it's good if messy. Like I dunno if any of these battle royal-type games are particularly tightly balanced, but this definitely seems like it's most fun if everyone is just wildly loving around. I do see an emerging meta problem where a few victories are based on having a few energy drinks to pop when the safety circle disappears entirely. (I'm not sure that's the best way to go, honestly, just keep it in a small circle so everyone has to beat each other to death at the end. The whole "zone" mechanic is in these games to force people to run into each other, once you've gotten them all within a small space they should do the rest of the work.)

Time to get into a match was never longer than 2 minutes but it's day 1 so who knows how long that'll last.

Did experience one major bug with loading into one of the grey guys, but that only happened once.

I do appreciate that you don't have to work too hard to get the goofy poo poo going, it's tricky if you spawn near to someone and they decide they wanna fight right away though I was able to win those exchanges more often than not.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

flashy_mcflash posted:

Almost as if the EVPs have as much influence on AEW's business as me, the non-AEW watcher...

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

God I'm so happy they patched the tag finishers. It's still a little finnicky to pull off with AI but I've done a few pretty consistently now so I'm feeling good about it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

El Generico posted:

There was a certain narrative that Yuke's was a good dev being held down by the restrictions associated with having to make yearly WWE releases. I think that's shattered now.
I will never not post this screenshot of their old website.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Why does Yuke’s have an apostrophe?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because the dude who founded it was called Yuke by his friends or something, so it’s just a regular possessive apostrophe

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, it's named for their founder, president and CEO, Yukinori Taniguchi.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The final circle in Stadium Stampede shrinking until it literally disappears is real weird. Feels like because of how much you can heal using the ability and other food lying around that there's always 10 or so players left when the circle is closing but it always ends up as everyone stumbling around while their health ticks down and people spamming finishers and it's just not a fun way to end a BR.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 25, 2023

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Are the people seeing blob people and such on consoles? I didn't have any issues on Steam surprisingly. I thought it was really fun myself with the chaos. Riho crashed a golf cart into me (Shida), CM Punk, and the goalpost and it caught on fire and exploded while we fought. I want to find this so called Carrot Coin though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If it's true that the putties are when there's over 30 people in the game, maybe you're not seeing that on Steam because there's never more than 30 people playing at once

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I got a free code for Wrestle Quest on steam dm if you want it

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I was actually wondering that. I'm pretty sure 20 or more people are bots in these matches I'm in. I'd buy it for PS5 again to have quick matches with it if they do a half price or lower sale for the ppv. Curious what it's like to play with other humans.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I only played the mode twice on Switch but I'm pretty sure the majority of the people I went up against were bots. Most had generic names and used the AEW logo as their avatar.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lucifunk posted:

Are the people seeing blob people and such on consoles?
i did but then i turned my TV on

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Where's the breakdown of what I should be doing in Stadium Stampede? I don't quite understand all the weapons and how the gameplay is different without making a fool of myself and losing very quickly

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the core gameplay is better than the 2k series by far

That's the thing, playing the game, the thing I buy games for, is really fun. There's just a lot of stuff missing and weird decisions around it.

If you're buying it for your e-fed or whatever yeah you're hosed. And I have NO idea who this Stadium Stampede mode is for.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its for drawing the entire fortnite market to fight forever

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sure but they're busy playing Fortnite

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I think Stadium Stampede would have been a nice little "hey, that's neat" feature that kept people logging in for a while if it had been there since launch, but as the only game update two months after launch it's pretty frustrating when there's so many other core game things that should have been getting addressed by now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The game should have stayed in development and released around November. At the very earliest. I have no idea why AEW pressured them to release it when they did. It's not like it was released during prime video game purchasing time

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

The game should have stayed in development and released around November. At the very earliest. I have no idea why AEW pressured them to release it when they did. It's not like it was released during prime video game purchasing time

Even holding it until around now and piggybacking on All In/Out would've made a lot of sense.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
How many more years of development time do they need to add match sliders or health recovery so matches don’t end so quickly

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Tato posted:

How many more years of development time do they need to add match sliders or health recovery so matches don’t end so quickly

17.3. game development is very difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Tato posted:

infinity hopefully