Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Odddzy posted:

Howard would ban guests that did O&A from his show I believe. I kinda wonder sometimes if that's why Gilbert couldn't get on the air anymore.

I remember Jay Mohr was banned because he appeared on O&A. But I think Gilbert just wasn't invited back because Howard was moving away from those types of guests. He had that one appearance where he kept making racist jokes and it seemed to genuinely upset Robyn.

smarxist posted:

@murderbryan on twitter (Streetfight Radio) has done a bunch of shock jock podcast stuff, i'm sure this thread is probably aware, but just throwing it out there

Yeah, if anyone wants a really good deep dive into shock jocks, I highly recommend the Shockjock episodes by Murder Bryan. I think you can only get them on his Patreon, but there's like 40 hours of them talking about O&A, Stern, Mancow, Greaseman, Lykas, Bubba, etc. He has good guests on too for them (Felix Biederman appears in a lot). Anyway, the Mancow episodes are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I was blocked!

I! WAS! BLOCKED!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Remember when Anthony called up Mancow to prank him and just ended up asking a legitimate question before Mancow dumped his call?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, it just got moved way up the dial. And it's joined by the Beatles radio, Tom Petty radio, Phish radio, Pearl Jam radio, Springsteen radio, Grateful Dead radio, Jimmy Buffett radio, Dave Matthews Band Radio, U2 Radio, and Bob Marley Radio (which replaced the actually somewhat good The Joint). 11 goddamn channels that are worse than hitting shuffle on an artist page on Spotify, because lol at them ever playing deep tracks.

The Dead channel rules, actually.

TL posted:

I was blocked!

I! WAS! BLOCKED!

That was a gently caress of a thing to listen to live. The best sound my radio has ever made is, after Bobo asks if she was real, Colin's annoyed as gently caress little "nnnO!"

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The Dead channel rules, actually.

Tom petty one is pretty great too

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
my stomach hurts

i think the real Anthony is the guy who would get really quiet whenever other people in the studio would start fighting, you could hear him off mic going “ahhh gently caress” like he was in pain

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

John Romero posted:

my stomach hurts

i think the real Anthony is the guy who would get really quiet whenever other people in the studio would start fighting, you could hear him off mic going “ahhh gently caress” like he was in pain

Not sure about Ant but the one instance of this I distinctly remember was when Opie and Ant got into a really heated argument on air (early 2010s, I want to say?) that went on for like 45 minutes. Then, during a rare pause in the arguing, Jimmy went “my tummy hurts” and it was like the first thing he’d said since the argument began.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Darkwave is one of the last reasons I have my Sirius sub.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Not sure about Ant but the one instance of this I distinctly remember was when Opie and Ant got into a really heated argument on air (early 2010s, I want to say?) that went on for like 45 minutes. Then, during a rare pause in the arguing, Jimmy went “my tummy hurts” and it was like the first thing he’d said since the argument began.

you could usually hear small sad Anthony after Dadproxy Opie did something extremely aggressive and antisocial

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I believe that was the grape incident, moments later Jim says that line was fed to him but since it bombed he mentioned someone said it in his ear.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

I believe that was the grape incident, moments later Jim says that line was fed to him but since it bombed he mentioned someone said it in his ear.

Lie?? Jim would never!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jim has his moral ups and downs, but it evens out. You could say Jimmy tied.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
yeemee

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
All the Ron and Fez talk got me to upload a couple years worth of episodes from the beginning of the XM run to my Overcast podcast app... I miss listening to the buddays daily. Fez had so much energy in those early weeks too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I discovered R+F way after Fez had gone downhill, I think around 2012 when I got a new car with satellite radio.

Was there a triggering thing that started Fez’s spiral?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AndrewP posted:

Fez was a character who took over its host. It was the weirdest thing ever. Fez lost track of what was a shoot and what was a work and eventually it literally killed him.

A similar thing happened to Peter Sellers as I understand. The nervousness of losing track of reality ruined their hearts

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
This is a Jim Norton character for half a bit

https://twitter.com/blagojevism/status/1695266754220441801

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AndrewP posted:

One time he farted so hard it woke him up.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Ant doing his mother inlaws “I wanngo home” has been an intrusive thought for two decades, listening to the clip again I forgot that poor Ope lived with her for a year lol

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

AndrewP posted:

One day his cat said "cookie" and no one ever believed him

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
You know what really gets me about O&A is they were apparently the only people on earth that could get a bunch of funny people in a room together. Seriously, why is that so hard to do? They effortlessly got the likes of Ricky Gervais, Patrice ONeil, Colin Quinn, etc, all in a room together at once. Every comedy show/podcast since then simply cannot pull it off, without there being an awkward chemistry, or without the comedians all shouting and stepping all over each other. Maybe something about them being locked in the studio 5 days a week.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Imo, those comedians all knew each other and had chemistry together before ever going on radio

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think the platform was better for their business as a comic as well, being heard being funny in an atmosphere like that and getting your plugs in, whereas today there's more incentive to be the sole owner/operator posting your own clips and podcast/audio poo poo (its cheaper, more control, chance to go "viral" or some poo poo)

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Odddzy posted:

Imo, those comedians all knew each other and had chemistry together before ever going on radio

yeah and it was broadcast for entertainment purposes

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I listen to a lot of old R&F stuff on YouTube and looking back it's astounding how much content they mined from dingdongs arguing on message boards. Like, it's almost embarrassing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
a little gossip
a little chat

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mob posted:

I listen to a lot of old R&F stuff on YouTube and looking back it's astounding how much content they mined from dingdongs arguing on message boards. Like, it's almost embarrassing.

I’m still not sure I understand what Pal Talk was

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

AndrewP posted:

I’ll tell you all about it in the aftershow meeting.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AndrewP posted:

it was kinda like a precursor to twitch, you'd log on and there was a list of chat rooms, you'd join it and you could tune in people's webcams if they were streaming. aside from the day the baby bird went down, i don't think there was any decent reason to be on there unless you really needed to see some random chicks pixellated 220x180 30kbps bitrate tits

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

smarxist posted:

i don't think there was any decent reason to be on there unless you really needed to see some random chicks pixellated 220x180 30kbps bitrate tits

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I discovered R+F way after Fez had gone downhill, I think around 2012 when I got a new car with satellite radio.

"You never cut me any slack!" was the beginning, as far as I know. That and the heart attack.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Good morning, Julia!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Rory didn't move to DC

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

was expecting this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwZ6eGCQdFM

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

not gonna lie it's been in my head since i posted

:negative:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

He was peepin...

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

jesus. 6 guys doing a "show" for 11 watchers

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

smarxist posted:

I pay for his patreon for the satellite stories but the production is real, real terrible and I can't force myself to watch.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

smarxist posted:

Even the Opester puts up better numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

That's some Scorch-level stuff