Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

tokin opposition posted:

anyone with the right kind of personality to become a world leader is by definition a bad person hth

those who seek power are those who must never have it

Douglas Adams posted:

The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mostly because they’re intensely personal, especially my left sleeve. The name of my dead friend in church slavonic with a prayer isn’t really « cool » and that whole sleeve is almost entirely in script either hebrew or cyrillic so there’s always the followup of asking what it means. Tbf I brought this problem on myself but still
It may be intensely personal, but I agree that at this point you've kind of put it out there where people can see it, so it's going to be noticed.
Either way the original statement was just "I like your tattoo", not that it's « cool », which I still think is a fine thing to say in this context. It's prying deeper, asking about their history and meaning, or misinterpreting that seems like it's more the issue?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I went to a summer camp about the holocaust when I was about 13. A great portion of the lectures (all from history professors) about Hitler specifically were laboriously detailed about his confidence, charisma, ability to command loyalty, and all these other traits that are common to history's most famous leaders. It was really eye opening to understand that these are traits that great leaders from history shared. And the constant point was that none of those make a good person or good leader, it's just what effective leaders all have. Terrible people can be really effective leaders, and when terrible people have those traits they become the most dangerous people in the world. I wish people were not so stupid that they can't discern the difference there.

That's an... interesting way to put this. Hitler was kind of a joke, but a massively popular joke. Germany was really hurting from losing WW1, both economically and mentally and a lot of Germans were ready to follow just about anybody telling them they were actually the best people on earth. Hitler was the figurehead of that movement and had a strong cult following, which escalated to worship once he took over, but there's a reason nobody took the guy seriously until it was way too late. Hell, the reason he was originally elected was because the other parties at the time figured they could appease the masses and control that idiot.

There are certainly parallels to other powerful people to be found, Trump for instance, but I wouldn't call this charisma.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I went to a summer camp about the holocaust when I was about 13.

sorry what

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
All this talk about getting random comments and attempted conversation-starters from strangers all the time makes me think of the several times Korean people have asked me if it's true what they've heard about America, that random strangers will try to strike up a conversation with you. The concept is unimaginable* to them and I don't miss it at all.

* Well, some very old people will chat up strangers. It's more a dying custom here.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Belpit posted:

All this talk about getting random comments and attempted conversation-starters from strangers all the time makes me think of the several times Korean people have asked me if it's true what they've heard about America, that random strangers will try to strike up a conversation with you. The concept is unimaginable* to them and I don't miss it at all.

* Well, some very old people will chat up strangers. It's more a dying custom here.

I was at a trains station once, and some old guy commented on my hat (as he was wearing the same one). So I was like oh okay that seems friendly enough so started talking to him. Later on, on the train he propositioned me which was less welcome and I'm a beardy cis dude so I can imagine it happens way more often for femme presenting people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vib Rib posted:

Also I know this is the obvious internet poster thing to point out but with E=MC²+AI, the equation was already balanced, so the value of AI must be 0.

Only for a system at rest. :smuggo:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Aug 25, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

AI is only helpful if you're falling into a black hole gotcha

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t mind stranger compliments about my tattoos to a point:

- don’t ask for the story behind them
- don’t use this as a way to cat call (common)
- do NOT loving touch (common)

I’ve also had people try and touch my hair completely out of nowhere. Like I’ve had people come up to me, touch my hair without asking, sometimes in front of my partner, and it’s an immediate verbal confrontation.

Some people learn to not touch hot stoves when others tell them to, others, they need to learn the hard way. I don’t care how drunk someone is, their nationality or whatever. Time to burn.

My only exception to any of this are kids, and honestly, compliments from kids are the best.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have a tattoo and I love it as a conversation starter. What's wrong with asking the story behind it? Is it just an introvert extrovert thing? How is someone supposed to know whether it's ok to ask or not?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mantle posted:

I have a tattoo and I love it as a conversation starter. What's wrong with asking the story behind it? Is it just an introvert extrovert thing? How is someone supposed to know whether it's ok to ask or not?

I have…a lot, and one leads to so many more questions and I just want to shop for too small clothing in peace. It’s never asked at a normal loving time.

I don’t mind if it’s a friend or someone I know at like a bar and we’re all hanging and it just comes up, but out of loving nowhere? No.

And I’m a fairly shy extrovert!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The name of my dead friend in church slavonic with a prayer isn’t really « cool » and that whole sleeve is almost entirely in script either hebrew or cyrillic

Sounds pretty loving cool to me

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I have a sizable moustache and it's turned into a fairly common occurrence that small kids come up to me and go "ere mister is your moustache real" or "I like your moustache" like some kind of Dickensian urchin. I get comments from blokes too but kids seem to love it. If I was a pedo I'd be doing really well for myself.

Also lol at being incredulous that women get told to smile. My other half has severe resting bitch face and gets it constantly. It's absolutely grim.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I must admit I initially read that post as people came up to them while they were wearing the mask to tell them to smile.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Roblo posted:

Also lol at being incredulous that women get told to smile. My other half has severe resting bitch face and gets it constantly. It's absolutely grim.

I've heard this thing about men telling women to smile; most of my female friends have experienced it. But I've never seen it, and to be honest I don't really understand what it is. Do guys just come up to women and say, "You'd be pretty if you smiled" ? That's so creepy, and I know creepy things happen all the time but it's hard to imagine. Especially hard to imagine it's so common that almost everyone I know has experienced it.

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

credburn posted:

I've heard this thing about men telling women to smile; most of my female friends have experienced it. But I've never seen it, and to be honest I don't really understand what it is. Do guys just come up to women and say, "You'd be pretty if you smiled" ?

Yes, though a simple "smile!" tends to be more common, and it's almost always from middle-aged white men at least in my experience

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a bus driver round my area who has an exquisitely waxed moustache, like the full Poirot. It would be rude not to compliment him on it imo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

We are talking about Deloitte, did they fire him for being too reserved in his praise of Hitler?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Belpit posted:

Picturing this as random Korean people on the street running up to you to breathlessly demand you tell them whether Americans will try to start conversations with strangers.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mostly because they’re intensely personal, especially my left sleeve.
[...]
Tbf I brought this problem on myself but still
Yeah I remember a coworker that had a neck tattoo but when I asked her about it, it was "oh it's personal". Maybe get it somewhere that strangers can't see then??

All of my tattoos are like "yeah this Simpsons episode was pretty funny" or "King Gizzard is my fave band"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Philippe posted:

It feels weird to still see people upset about masks.
I'm upset about masks.

Upset that I'm apparently the only person still wearing one. Even to the doctor's. Like, how did you not realise when it was mandatory that it's actually a super good idea to protect yourself and others when you're deliberately going to be hanging around an enclosed space with sick people? Although, tbh, that's just the most extreme example because it's also obviously a good idea on trains, in supermarkets, anywhere you're coming into close proximity with a whole lot of strangers who may be sick - as anyone might. I don't want to get covid, but I also don't want to get a cold. Why not wear a mask? Seriously, why not? What possible reason?

woke kaczynski posted:

...yes, sometimes? Like I dunno how that's the part of my post that stood out to you, but I apparently have resting bitch face and since I started wearing a mask out and about I haven't had randos telling me to cheer up or give them a smile. I'd venture to say that this is in fact a fairly common experience for people who aren't perceived as cis men!
Even as a man, one of the great side effects of wearing a mask in public, for me, is that I get way fewer people asking me what's wrong or if I'm ok. I'm fine, my face just looks like this. Sometimes even when I think I'm smiling I'm actually not. I'm not sad or angry, this is just what I look like and there's no need to comment on it, thanks.

Prism posted:

Dill pickles are vile
True. Sweet spiced gherkins are delicious though.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Roblo posted:

If I was a pedo I'd be doing really well for myself.

I know we just got a new thread title but

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that was a hell of a line I wasn't sure if we were all gonna just slide by

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vapor Moon posted:

I know we just got a new thread title but

I wanted to pretend that it didn't happen

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Some men are just born to have a look

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1694925605928865920?s=46
https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1694926214644019628?s=46
https://twitter.com/cj_sheu/status/1694926420764696840?s=46

fellas is it transphobic to put baby killers on trial

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Wait are they trying to paint the literal baby killer as a victim?????

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even putting aside the fact that she was already convicted and sentenced, the evidence is so shockingly, nakedly against her that it verges on making the entire senior leadership at the hospital culpable for not going "holy gently caress, we have to stop this maniac" within a month of her starting.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I have no idea what they’re trying to say or what it has to do with trans people

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

teen witch posted:

Wait are they trying to paint the literal baby killer as a victim?????

She's a victim of the state, or something. Wokeism much???

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, I'm sure it's a confidence that a trail of mysteriously dead babies followed this woman around like she's the pied piper.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Scratch Monkey posted:

I have no idea what they’re trying to say or what it has to do with trans people

I think they're alleging that she was blamed because she is a woman and the British government hates women as evidenced by them supporting trans women (citation needed).

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Apparently a bunch of her friends are sticking by her "it's not what she's like" which I kinda guess I get but they found notes in her room that literally said "I did this I am evil" so...err, maybe it is who she is. They found a stash of information about all the dead babies in her room.

Edit: also, no, it has nothing to do with transphobia.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Even putting aside the fact that she was already convicted and sentenced, the evidence is so shockingly, nakedly against her that it verges on making the entire senior leadership at the hospital culpable for not going "holy gently caress, we have to stop this maniac" within a month of her starting.

I'm not British, but uh, is there not a huge investigation when someone under the age of 12 dies? Like autopsies at least.

I'm sorry, but I'm hearing about this for the first time and this is insane.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm not British, but uh, is there not a huge investigation when someone under the age of 12 dies? Like autopsies at least.

Unless it would inconvenience the hospital administration. The UK is like ground zero for decorum poisoning.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Two replies without quotes:

1: yeah old men will literally come up to you as a teen-twenties woman and say things like “smile love, it’s not that bad” or “give us a smile dahlin’” or worse, if you happen to be having a nice day and have a bit of a grin on, they’ll leer at you and go “nice smile, love” or “whaddaya smilin’ at sweetheart”. Just being a young woman, or a young looking woman seems to be an invitation for some crusty ol larry to comment.

2: I’m not a young woman any more, and I have always appreciated genuine compliments on my hair or my outfit or my great big boots. I haven’t had a genuine, unsolicited compliment in ages and I think it would be quite nice to get one from someone who just likes my thing that I’m wearing or dumb joke that I made or whatever. I’m very conscious of the way I’m fading into older woman invisibility and I’m not at all ready for it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

GreenMetalSun posted:

imagine the most incompetent middle managers and bureaucrats you've ever dealt with, times that by several thousand and throw in a HR system as useless as they come. welcome to the NHS

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Shithouse Dave posted:

2: I’m not a young woman any more, and I have always appreciated genuine compliments on my hair or my outfit or my great big boots.

was about to ask why you would ever want that until I re-read the last word

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Baby death content warning:
There was also some stuff where these were NICU babies and it's not insane for one to die suddenly (however the numbers are shocking, it went from one or two a year to like 7 in a few months immediately after this lady joined and stopped immediately after she was pulled) and autopsies were inconclusive. I think in one case a doctor investigating her was looking at one of the babies' records and it showed that they had an insulin spike, which can happen normally, but other labs that tend to spike with insulin when the body produces it were not elevated. I think it was largely the sort of thing that could get missed if you don't suspect foul play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Several doctors also reported her, she was investigated and they were made to apologise to her by management. poo poo was pretty seriously hosed, and there will 100% be a big investigation into it.