Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just got a new game last week, and no one bothered to congratulate me :smith:

congrats. whats their name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Y’all I cannot wait to get stalked in the woods again by shadowy figures reciting facts about manual labor and nutrition

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Little Nightmares 3 was just announced at Gamescom, it has coop

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The real horror was the friends we made along the way

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Morpheus posted:

Little Nightmares 3 was just announced at Gamescom, it has coop

Also Killing Floor 3!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

And here I thought they would be making Maneater 2, the sequel to a game that somehow made being a shark boring.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nuebot posted:

I don't know much about xbox emulation but PS2 emulation has been fine for years. If you're using the actual hardware, the xbox version has some largely negligible extra content. I've never actually played the xbox version though.

Fatal Frame 2 builds on and improves from 1 mechanically but, as you said, is extremely narratively predictable if you've played the first one because it's very similar, just bigger. 3 introduces a bunch of new mechanics that 4 and especially its sequel, 5, would draw on heavily such as giving you a "safe" base of operations and multiple characters you switch between playing which really dilutes the experience in my book while the combat moves away from being slow and clunky and more into being fast and almost actiony. 3's atmosphere is also really hard to really engross myself into, personally, because of how it takes place entirely in a dreamscape. A lethal dreamscape, certainly, but still. Dream ghosts just don't have the same pull as haunted house ghosts.

My biggest issue with 3, however, is how deeply entwined with 1 and 2 both to it and their detriment. For a start: like half of its plot won't matter to you at all if you didn't play either of those games because your other two characters are A. the protagonist of the first game, and B. the newly introduced uncle of the protagonists of the second and their reasons for being involved are important to the game. But more than that, it absolutely like savages those game's stories and characters. Mostly by introducing a plot element that would become increasingly egregious going on to 4 and especially 5: the incest. Despite having ended the first game with her brother willingly sacrificing himself to unlive forever with his new ghost wife and a sort of confidence about moving forward with her life: Miku's entire personality is now largely a one note obsession with her dead brother that makes it sound like his death wasn't willing, and conveniently just leaves Kirie out of the whole picture. She spends most of the game crying out for him and actively lusting over his ghost before accepting death so she can gently caress his ghost and get ghost married to him, ultimately giving birth to the protagonist of 5 who is half ghost. Similarly the surviving twin of 2, Mio, is now absolutely and utterly obsessed with her sister. In Fatal Frame 2 we see that she's guilty over her sister's injury; but her sister was always the one creepily clinging to her and that while she cared for her sister and didn't want her to go missing, get possessed or die: she was the more independent of the two. But nope, now she too wants to die to go spend forever with her ghost sister. Then 4 makes one of the antagonists an evil incest child, and 5 has the aforementioned lovechild of Miku and her brother.

Also the ghosts increasingly get like, more hornily designed the deeper into the series you get.

Huh, didn't expect the spooky ghost camera game to do that

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

CuddleCryptid posted:

And here I thought they would be making Maneater 2, the sequel to a game that somehow made being a shark boring.

That game really ended up being disappointing. Jaws Unleashed was way better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just picked up World of Horror and it's very quickly becoming my new favorite roguelike/roguelite.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Picked up some games on sale on Xbox: The Letter, Bloodwash, Arkham horror mothers embrace. Like 20 bucks for all three.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I played Yuppie Psycho and found it to be quite delightful. It's a strange hybrid between corporate office satire and occult horror. Player character Brian gets a job offer out of the blue from a huge megacorp which he feels completely unqualified to work for, and upon arrival, is told that his job is to "Kill The Witch".

The game takes place entirely inside the ten-story office building and the goals range from "attend mandatory motivational meeting" to "figure out how to summon the Forest Goblin". You craft healing items (coffee) by finding some water and some ground coffee and running them through a coffee maker. You save by sticking your face in a photocopier and making a copy onto a piece of haunted paper.

It isn't always that interested in explaining itself, so if you want everything to click together into a satisfying whole, you'll be left disappointed, but I thought the vibes were stellar. Plus it has a fun alternate story route that got patched in as part of a content update, which completely replaces the 2nd half of the game if you do a bunch of optional stuff.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Yuppie Psycho is one of my favorite games in the last decade, and weird in that the alternate route is 150% better than the standard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I loved the visual and story design of Yuppie Psycho a lot, the one downside is that it's one of those gamemaker games that requires some precise, quick movement at times and that is always a clusterfuck. I ran into a lot of mines while trying to disarm them just because how far you move in a key press can vary a lot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Theres an alternate route in YP???

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

The game takes place entirely inside the ten-story office building and the goals range from "attend mandatory motivational meeting" to "figure out how to summon the Forest Goblin". You craft healing items (coffee) by finding some water and some ground coffee and running them through a coffee maker.

That reminds me of Mundaun - for some reason, making taking a break from navigating a devil-perverted town by chilling out and going through the steps to make some coffee was one of my favourite parts of that game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1694410391441613297?s=20

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Well that's a pleasant and entirely unexpected surprise!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Felt like the first one was pretty good on the "RE spirit" front, these days I'm cautious about waiting for reviews but it's definitely on my watchlist.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Felt like the first one was pretty good on the "RE spirit" front, these days I'm cautious about waiting for reviews but it's definitely on my watchlist.

I still haven't finished it because the limited saves was killing me, but I just saw that there's a debug menu that lets you save anywhere so I might have to go back to it and utilize that. :D

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Medullah posted:

I still haven't finished it because the limited saves was killing me, but I just saw that there's a debug menu that lets you save anywhere so I might have to go back to it and utilize that. :D

The limited saves really aren't a problem unless you do your gaming in 15-minute intervals or have some sort of compulsion that requires you to save after every single enemy you kill. They're a bit sparse in the beginning, but you very quickly start getting more of them than you could ever reasonably spend.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

The limited saves really aren't a problem unless you do your gaming in 15-minute intervals or have some sort of compulsion that requires you to save after every single enemy you kill. They're a bit sparse in the beginning, but you very quickly start getting more of them than you could ever reasonably spend.

Yeah, I unfortunately have times where my playtime is limited. I lost 1.5 hours worth a while back because I didn't have any ribbons and the power went out. :(

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
As a person gets older, the appeal of limited saves and never being able to pause wanes as the amount of important things to do waxes. The stress of limited save systems is fine and can lead to some memorable moments, but it's not worth the accessibility annoyances.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 23, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I unfortunately have times where my playtime is limited. I lost 1.5 hours worth a while back because I didn't have any ribbons and the power went out. :(

That sucks, but thankfully it's the kind of game where you can very quickly get back to where you were as long as you remember what you were doing. Figuring out where to go and messing with the puzzles is the part that takes time, so I'll bet those 1.5 hours wouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to catch up to if you were to try again.

If you're playing on PC and you really want to not have to worry about it though, the save files are just plain JSON. It's really straightforward to open them up and just change your inventory to have 50 tape reels if you want.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If I turn off a game and come back to it and I’ve lost more than like 5 minutes of play time, there’s a very real possibility I’ll never play it again. My time is just too valuable to me. I will simply start another game.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
That's why I stopped Yuppie Psycho after losing an hour to a boss battle with unclear instructions. I'm sure it's got good spooky stuff in it, but gently caress, man. Give me a checkpoint.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

That sucks, but thankfully it's the kind of game where you can very quickly get back to where you were as long as you remember what you were doing. Figuring out where to go and messing with the puzzles is the part that takes time, so I'll bet those 1.5 hours wouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to catch up to if you were to try again.

If you're playing on PC and you really want to not have to worry about it though, the save files are just plain JSON. It's really straightforward to open them up and just change your inventory to have 50 tape reels if you want.

Yeah, but it's even easier to hit END to open the debug menu and save where you're at. :)

oldpainless posted:

If I turn off a game and come back to it and I’ve lost more than like 5 minutes of play time, there’s a very real possibility I’ll never play it again. My time is just too valuable to me. I will simply start another game.

Yep exactly. I have hundreds of untouched games, if I'm pounding my head on one it goes on the backburner.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I think the resident evil approach is mostly fine, savepoints are still relatively plentiful and deaths are sparse and usually heavily telegraphed. with how short those oldschool horror games tend to be overall you're likely not going to be spending any more time on them than any other single player campaign out there. games being as efficient and painless as possible is a good general rule but there's some novelty to be had outside of that, looking at sections more comprehensively and having to consider risk. Should there be a tempsave feature that separates the in game logic of ribbon checkpoints and the program being turned off to attend to real life poo poo? yes, absolutely.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 25, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Losing progress is the only real threat developers can impose on the people playing their games. How that is used varies wildly and I have deleted games because I lost 5 minutes of progress and have become much more immersed in games due to the lingering threat of losing far more than that. I don't love having my time wasted, but games usually having checkpoints every 2 minutes isn't very interesting either. It all depends on the game, but I honestly really like the manual saves of yesteryear. Checkpoints might be sparse but I am in control of it. It's up to me but it isn't being handed to me either. Tbh I think RE should stop doing regular checkpoints unless it's at a boss maybe.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ink ribbons in classic REs are fine because as long as you are making some meaningful progress, you can save very often or you can try being daring and see how far you get.

I didn't like no checkpoints in RE4make Pro mode because every death meant you had to do several long combat encounters again and avoiding combat is not an option.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah RE4 is probably better with them since it's so linear. I think if a game pushes forward constantly like that, frequent checkpoints make the most sense because replaying sections is like being forced to rewind a movie. Checkpoint scarcity makes more sense in a game world that you sort of just exist in and tackle things at your own pace.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Then again, Dead Space is pretty RE4-like and honestly I'd ditch the basic bitch checkpoints from the remake tbh. The save computers should be the only way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It should also take you 30 seconds to save in real time even while you're getting chased

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It should also take you 30 seconds to save in real time even while you're getting chased

My friends and I were playing Alien Isolation and at one point we thought we had lost the alien, got to a save point, saved in tense fear, then immediately after the save had finished, turned around just in time to get speared.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Quicksaves ftw

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm fine with limited save locations (Save rooms in RE) I just don't like limited saves, even if the save item becomes plentiful. Sometimes I'm paranoid as hell and want to save all the time. :D

My Nightmare difficulty RE7 run I think I have like 40 ink ribbons in my vault because I was SUPER stingy with saves there.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
On the topic of RE4-likes with frequent checkpointing: Just beat Alan Wake! Hilarious how shoehorned in those vehicle segments were. Gonna play through Control because I heard it was relevant to AW2's plot, but not looking forward to it - I got it back when the EGS was giving it away for free, and bounced off hard. Open world games with sidequests and percentage-based upgradable loadouts aren't for me. Is American Nightmare worth checking out? Heard very mixed opinions on it elsewhere but gamers are often stupid

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mutantIke posted:

On the topic of RE4-likes with frequent checkpointing: Just beat Alan Wake! Hilarious how shoehorned in those vehicle segments were. Gonna play through Control because I heard it was relevant to AW2's plot, but not looking forward to it - I got it back when the EGS was giving it away for free, and bounced off hard. Open world games with sidequests and percentage-based upgradable loadouts aren't for me. Is American Nightmare worth checking out? Heard very mixed opinions on it elsewhere but gamers are often stupid

American Nightmare was essentially a tech demo for the improvements Remedy was making to their combat system back for their original version of Alan Wake 2 back in the day. Its a neat little game, but entirely skippable. I also wouldn't stress too much about playing Control for story stuff related to AW2. There will probably be some connections and easter eggs references, but I doubt Jesse is going to come crashing through a wall and talk to Alan about the Control Initiative.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the Control AW2 DLC was basically the worst addition to the game and kind of ruins Control's story itself tbh.

You're missing nothing by not seeing it, it's basically an extended interactive trailer to advertise AW2 and watching some live action shots of Alan Wake monologuing. The most interesting set piece in the DLC isn't even directly related to AW2.

Also if you have issues with Control's gameplay just slap on all the gameplay accessibility features and cruise through the game enjoying the story. It's def worth a play.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wow i cant believe Alan Wake 2 is actually coming out in like a month or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Evil Kit posted:

the Control AW2 DLC was basically the worst addition to the game and kind of ruins Control's story itself tbh.

You're missing nothing by not seeing it, it's basically an extended interactive trailer to advertise AW2 and watching some live action shots of Alan Wake monologuing. The most interesting set piece in the DLC isn't even directly related to AW2.

Also if you have issues with Control's gameplay just slap on all the gameplay accessibility features and cruise through the game enjoying the story. It's def worth a play.

I enjoyed Control a lot, but I haven’t played any of the Alan Wake games, so that DLC is very weird. The whole Wake stuff just Kramers into the game and if you’ve never played them, boy howdy, is it going to suck for you! Meaningless monologuing from Wake (I assume? They never actually make it clear) over his typewriter as Jesse has to deal with things that maybe are meant to be familiar? I got the impression I’m supposed to recognise lots of these things, but obviously I don’t, and it’s a bad feeling that I’m not getting 100% of the story here.