Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The office apps have pretty decent “work hours” settings where Outlook and Teams stop notifications at 5pm or whenever and pick up again in the morning. It’s a decent option if you do have to carry a single phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FCKGW posted:

The office apps have pretty decent “work hours” settings where Outlook and Teams stop notifications at 5pm or whenever and pick up again in the morning. It’s a decent option if you do have to carry a single phone.

While this is true, it doesn't stop you from impulsively tapping the Outlook icon at 8pm anyways.

I actually don't have an iphone and haven't since 2009, but am planning to switch when the new one comes out. I'm guessing by now they have some sort of mode where you can lock out certain apps after a timeframe, which would be nice.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I have multiple users who switch around multiple iPhones and some genius tried using random iCloud accounts to manage it before which has been problematic. If I get them all in school manager and added to jamf, can’t they just use text messaging instead rather than trying to keep track of unique iCloud accounts for each phone?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Budget Dracula posted:

I have multiple users who switch around multiple iPhones and some genius tried using random iCloud accounts to manage it before which has been problematic. If I get them all in school manager and added to jamf, can’t they just use text messaging instead rather than trying to keep track of unique iCloud accounts for each phone?

You will still have iCloud accounts, just the managed variant, which is under your control rather than theirs. It's advisable to federate school manager with your google or microsoft IdP to avoid password complications.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also I don't know what your scenario is, but you may not even want them to use SMS or Messages at all since there's no way to manage them in MDM. If you have something that you manage (Teams for example) just have them use that and disable the messages app.

edit: In my scenario I work in a place that requires HIPAA compliance. We had doctors and poo poo sending PHI via sms and Messages on their personal devices. A huge no-no. On our managed iPads and iPhones, I straight up disable that poo poo unless they have a really loving good reason.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

If you use federated accounts does it work like a PC joined to the domain where multiple people can sign in and out of the device in a reasonable manner like I sign out of the phone at the end of my shift and you sign into the same phone at the beginning of your shift?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Budget Dracula posted:

If you use federated accounts does it work like a PC joined to the domain where multiple people can sign in and out of the device in a reasonable manner like I sign out of the phone at the end of my shift and you sign into the same phone at the beginning of your shift?

Only iPads support any sort of device sharing and it’s mainly designed for education use

edit:

I'm not sure what the big benefits are to federated logins with iPhones. I know that can be used during the onboarding to make sure that only authorized users can enroll/use the device and it links the user with the device in the MDM.

MacOS and MDM support that stuff now which is huge. That makes MacOS clients more like windows workstations. Any authorized users can log into devices and they have to use their work credentials.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 23, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not sure what the big benefits are to federated logins with iPhones. I know that can be used during the onboarding to make sure that only authorized users can enroll/use the device and it links the user with the device in the MDM.

Federated login with iOS and iPadOS uses the same password as the google/microsoft account if you do it correctly(enabling SAML/SCIF) and auto provision the users so you don't need to create them by hand. God willing, federated login on MacOS should finally also update the local password on supervised machines if microsoft gets off their asses(the required add on still haven't been published to the general public).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The problem with mixing work and personal on the same phone for me, other than the whole “don’t do it” thing, is that I don’t trust myself not to accidentally text/message/email personal stuff to work contacts. Especially with the way contact suggestions pop up in the share sheet.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That many dick pics huh?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Inner Light posted:

That many dick pics huh?

Look I spent $1000 for this phone with 4k 60-240fps caneras you bet I’m going to use it on my dick

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

Look I spent $1000 for this phone with 4k 60-240fps caneras you bet I’m going to use it on my dick
I wonder if this would fit as the thread title lmao

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t forget the macro mode.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

wooger posted:

Don’t forget the macro mode.

I can finally focus on my microdinck with the iPhone 14 Pro. Thanks, Tim Apple

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If my 13 mini had Macro mode I’d have so many pictures of bugs. Its the one reason I would buy a pro phone

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Back in the olden days when the front element on camera phones was 5mm across you could stick a drop of water on it and get instant macro mode. It doesn't work as well now because putting enough water on to cover the glass falls off once you move the phone.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

One thing that drives me crazy is the enormous inconsistency in how iOS handles the swiping left and right from the bottom of the screen to swap between recent apps. Some apps it instantly puts them in the swipe left realm, but others hang out as swipe right for 30 seconds+

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rafikki posted:

One thing that drives me crazy is the enormous inconsistency in how iOS handles the swiping left and right from the bottom of the screen to swap between recent apps. Some apps it instantly puts them in the swipe left realm, but others hang out as swipe right for 30 seconds+

if you interact with the app at all while it's foregrounded it gets moved into the left zone. if you just look at it and then switch away again it doesn't move

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

if you interact with the app at all while it's foregrounded it gets moved into the left zone. if you just look at it and then switch away again it doesn't move

Holy poo poo it all makes sense now

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Work OK'd a new iPhone to replace my aging 11 with a cracked screen.

I should wait a month for the 15, shouldn't I? If nothing else, for the price drops on the 14.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bolind posted:

Work OK'd a new iPhone to replace my aging 11 with a cracked screen.

I should wait a month for the 15, shouldn't I? If nothing else, for the price drops on the 14.

I would suggest waiting a little bit, usual launch windows are not that far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, likely preorder date of Sept 8, launch date of Sept 15. Not official yet, but I’d bet money on it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gurmam had dates that were about a week later than that.

Regardless they should announce the event date next week.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, likely preorder date of Sept 8, launch date of Sept 15. Not official yet, but I’d bet money on it.

Yeah, I'll take that bet. It'll be 15th, 22nd

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

Yeah, I'll take that bet. It'll be 15th, 22nd

You could be right !

I’m sticking with mine, and I’ll be curious to see who is correct.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
For my impatience’s sake I’m rooting for Duckman’s dates.

Not that I am like, itching to upgrade from the 14 pro max yet

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Blue Pro colourway has me hyped.

For bolind; the iPhone 14 Vanilla has the A15 CPU so presumably the iPhone 15 will finally upgrade that.
(whether it be to A16 or A17 we don't know, but at least it will be a generation ahead this time Steve willing)

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Are we likely to see the 13 Mini price drop? Or are they going to axe it altogether?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Blurb3947 posted:

Are we likely to see the 13 Mini price drop? Or are they going to axe it altogether?

Honestly all details can't be confirmed until the announcement/keynote. Even the things that get leaked that everyone feels good about, like USB-C, just is never a sure bet until you hear the words come from Tim.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blurb3947 posted:

I assume if they keep it, it'll get a price drop. If they're dropping it entirely, third-party retailers will probably start having sales in the next couple weeks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blurb3947 posted:

My darkest future prediction:

- All the current prices stay the same.
- non-14 skus get usb-c updates.
- 14 line disappears entirely, and it's replaced by the 15.
- same with 14 pro, but 15 pro/max/ultra, at higher prices.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What can I do with an Apple locked iPhone 14 Pro Max? I lost my phone and used Apple Care to get a replacement. Then someone found my phone and returned it to me, but its locked. AIG, Apple's insurer for Apple Care, told me that I don't need to return it and that it's unusable anyways so I can bring it to an electronics recycling facility. I imagine there's no way to jailbreak it so my kids can play with it, or to open it and use it for spare parts. Should I just take it to the recycling facilty?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Animal posted:

What can I do with an Apple locked iPhone 14 Pro Max? I lost my phone and used Apple Care to get a replacement. Then someone found my phone and returned it to me, but its locked. AIG, Apple's insurer for Apple Care, told me that I don't need to return it and that it's unusable anyways so I can bring it to an electronics recycling facility. I imagine there's no way to jailbreak it so my kids can play with it, or to open it and use it for spare parts. Should I just take it to the recycling facilty?

Like it's fully activation locked and you can't even sign in with your ID to unlock it? People don't usually find their own phones back so I don't even know what this looks like.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrBond posted:

Like it's fully activation locked and you can't even sign in with your ID to unlock it? People don't usually find their own phones back so I don't even know what this looks like.

Yeah its fully activation locked. All you can do is start it, choose a language, and be told that its locked. And yeah I was surprised too, the phone fell off while I was biking. A good samaritan found it but they were android users so couldn't charge it until they procured an iPhone cable later and figured out how to contact me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Animal posted:

Yeah its fully activation locked. All you can do is start it, choose a language, and be told that its locked.

Take it to an Apple Store and explain that it’s yours. If they can’t/won’t unlock it, then tell them to recycle it. Not anything else you can do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

My darkest future prediction:

- All the current prices stay the same.
- non-14 skus get usb-c updates.
- 14 line disappears entirely, and it's replaced by the 15.
- same with 14 pro, but 15 pro/max/ultra, at higher prices.

They're not updating older phones with USB-C. The EU directive is only for devices launching after it was implemented.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arivia posted:

Take it to an Apple Store and explain that it’s yours. If they can’t/won’t unlock it, then tell them to recycle it. Not anything else you can do.

I'll do that. Hopefully they can refurbish and resell it. Not because I want them to profit, but because I hate ewaste.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Animal posted:

I'll do that. Hopefully they can refurbish and resell it. Not because I want them to profit, but because I hate ewaste.

At a minimum apple's the best shot for getting it most efficiently recycled. There's a custom disassembly machine and everything.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

BTW, not to rail on Apple Maps but the thing that makes me still use Google Maps is that Apple Maps works like poo poo in my city/country. I’m sure they have good navigation in the US but here it can’t even find many addresses. I wish it worked better for me because Google Maps has had some regression in the last year where it’s been drawing about 200MB of data in ten minutes of navigation.

Hey, so I want to backpedal on this... 2 years after I last I tried Apple Maps for navigation, I tried it again this week, prompted by this discussion. Turns out to work pretty OK now, even here. It's able to find local addresses, and makes reasonable routes to them for driving as well as pedestrian.

More importantly, it used maybe a dozen MB of data for 10 minutes of navigation, as opposed to Google Maps' 100-200 MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

They're not updating older phones with USB-C. The EU directive is only for devices launching after it was implemented.

So, even worse than i thought