Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Saraiguma posted:

the problem with 60% free crit is how are you going to gear and not massively overcap

I'm already not capped out running berserker armor and diviner trinkets. Both my crit chance and boon duration are in the mid 90%s. I'm trying out grieving armor to bring my precision even lower while hopefully gaining way more condition damage than I lose in power/crit.

Honestly think grieving is the way to go. On top of all the incidental condition damage from hammer, it turns defensive stuff like Cleansing Fire and Evasive Arcana into additional damage sources. Also lets me pack Primordial Stance.

Truga posted:

you drop some precision for toughness on your gear

what, you don't have a full legendary set?

Haven't felt the need for toughness with perma -15% strike damage AND 100% protection uptime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah that's fair, protection owns and is really simple to maintain on weaver

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Saraiguma posted:

the problem with 60% free crit is how are you going to gear and not massively overcap

Dragon’s, Viper’s, Grieving, Celestial, hell even Carrion or Valkyrie.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zojja owns

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What? Are people saying they like the story and that Zojja is actually cool now? That's extremely unexpected after the clunky way they put everything that ever happened previously on a bus and then had a sudden demonic invasion.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Zojia's alright. (Story spoilers) She doesn't really do much in the story but her character's nice enough and relatable. Hopefully gets more agency/things to do next map.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Heard about the new expansion and decided to come back and check the game out again - it's been a good while since I've played and I still have End of Dragons to get through lol.

Couple questions for stuff I forgot / only vaguely remember:

1) I know there are a few "free" legendary trinkets from doing PvE content - have they added any new ones with recent content that I should be keeping an eye on?

2) How hard is it to get into raiding nowadays as a newbie? I never got into it before I quit but working towards legendary armor seems like a fun project and I definitely don't want to go the PvP route for that.

3) Is there any downside to switching between characters for story content? I forgot why I did this, but apparently I split up story progress across a couple different characters so that I've got HoT complete on one and PoF on another. Is there any reason to go back and get full campaign completions consolidated on one character?

4) Should I be prioritizing getting my Skyscale mount? I remember starting that process and seem to recall it being a huge grind with a lot of time-gated stuff, but honestly there's so much poo poo to do that it's a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure where to start / what to make a priority.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
I’d do the skyscale in the new zone line. It’s a bit easier.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

boho posted:

That’s downright generous compared to nine months of sPvP or an indefinite amount of WvW.

ive done 3/5 weekly rift hunting maps and I have 28 of the rarest resource

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I would wait to fully despair until the higher tier rifts (with the instanced bosses).
I'm sure I'll eat my hat in a few months but we're measuring progress with the least rewarding, lowest effort version of the things right now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How longs the expansion content in Soto anyway?

human of smells
Aug 25, 2023
The worst part of the expansion so far is zojja not having any special dialogue for asura players.
i was the snaff savant dammit!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is the relic system just outright worse than the old one? Both my power warrior and condi virtuoso have like, no good options from condi/power relics. Should I just put some all around support option in there?

I've done a few dailies and the weekly, but looks like there's a hard cap on astral thingie of 1300 and there's not really point to do more until I can buy the expansion (which I cannot right now) and can spend it on the legendary kit and/or griffon skin.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
HVe you already bought out all the gold, coins, clovers?

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I wouldn't be sad if Zojja got Trahearne'd.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am trying my best at roaming as Mesmer please don't kill me I have no health and keep breaking my own invis please stop shooting me in just a little plant person you wouldn't hit a plant on its birthday

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What's the best bang for my buck on gem store purchases? I don't have any unlimited mining tools, but it sounds like I'm better off waiting for Volatile / Unbound ones to come back on sale. There's also stuff like the Account Jumpstart / Secrets of the Obscure Preparation Pack, but I can't tell if those are actually a good deal or not. The only cash shop item I have right now is the copper Salvage-o-Matic and an extra bank tab, so more storage space would definitely be nice too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

equipment templates can be worth it on a case by case basis if you have a character you want to run more than 2 specs/builds on that need different gear stats. having gear in your inventory slots and having to manually equip it is a pain.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm a hoarder, so bank slots and material storage expansions were the best purchases for me. Shared slots are nice if you don't have any of those.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TeaJay posted:

Is the relic system just outright worse than the old one? Both my power warrior and condi virtuoso have like, no good options from condi/power relics. Should I just put some all around support option in there?

I've done a few dailies and the weekly, but looks like there's a hard cap on astral thingie of 1300 and there's not really point to do more until I can buy the expansion (which I cannot right now) and can spend it on the legendary kit and/or griffon skin.

I'm not a theorycrafter but I just went with the thief relic for power builds since 5% damage appeared to be the most straightforward and attainable boost. Not very exciting, though.

From the Vault, I dunno why you would sit at cap for any reason. If you're looking for pure gold value, it's the cheap bag of coins > mystic coins > cheap crafting bags > laurels. And then the legendary kit is an insane value, but obviously only if you actually make the thing.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

The cap is on how much astral acclaim you can hold at once, not how much you can earn per shop refresh. so no reason not to buy out all the good stuff each store refresh.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I assume the answer is "no" but if you buy a legendary starter kit can you sell the resultant legendary? The precursor is bound so I assume the end result will be too but also maybe not?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Humerus posted:

I assume the answer is "no" but if you buy a legendary starter kit can you sell the resultant legendary? The precursor is bound so I assume the end result will be too but also maybe not?

You absolutely can, yeah. The account bound status of the precursor has no bearing on the resulting legendary, as they're separate items.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Gen1 Legendaries can all be sold on the TP

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Do it now before the price crashes…

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Furiously posted:

I’d do the skyscale in the new zone line. It’s a bit easier.

I came here to ask about this. I expected the skyscale to be unlocked after the tutorial questline, but that does not seem to be the case and now I've got two questions.

I tried reading up on it before work and the only tidbit I found said you had to complete the entire flight mastery line. is that legit?

Second related question, is it a bad idea to just rush that to completion? I'm worried there's going to be some other mastery node on the other trees that is secretly essential to unlocking everything the expansion does, because I'm blinded by flight lust right now.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

3) Is there any downside to switching between characters for story content? I forgot why I did this, but apparently I split up story progress across a couple different characters so that I've got HoT complete on one and PoF on another. Is there any reason to go back and get full campaign completions consolidated on one character?

No downside really, though you won't have the waypoints into those areas with the other character. POF flows pretty directly into LWS4 so I liked doing the later living worlds with the character I completed POF on. You might want to do it eventually anyway since the legendary amulet side stories require you to complete every map pretty much.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

brainSnakes posted:

I came here to ask about this. I expected the skyscale to be unlocked after the tutorial questline, but that does not seem to be the case and now I've got two questions.

I tried reading up on it before work and the only tidbit I found said you had to complete the entire flight mastery line. is that legit?

Second related question, is it a bad idea to just rush that to completion? I'm worried there's going to be some other mastery node on the other trees that is secretly essential to unlocking everything the expansion does, because I'm blinded by flight lust right now.

I'm not very far myself but very soon after the tutorial you need to have the first mastery in the first line trained, which I wish I knew because I already trained the first and got XP for like 2/3 of the second mastery in the skyscale one. I just really want the combat mounting.

And as to your question about unlocking the skyscale, I got a mail about starting that line as soon as the first mastery was trained. Then you need to find an egg in an abandoned nest, which I haven't found yet though I've only checked like 3 nests. There's somewhere around 20 nests to check, people on reddit are leaning it towards a pretty rare drop with most people saying they had to check almost all of them before they found one.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 25, 2023

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
You need to unlock all the flight masteries as the final step.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Legendary weapon starter kit is 1,000 wizard bux and shortcuts A LOT of work.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Weapon_Starter_Kit

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah that is a great value box indeed. Shame I've no gifts of exploration left.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A greater shame is that 2 out of the 4 legendary precursors it offers I already had sitting in my bank and their value tanked.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
EoD was already pretty bad enough in certain places (New Kaineng, Dragon's End) but this is a new record.

I'm starting to believe the middleware they use for occlusion culling simply stopped behaving properly ages ago and they haven't had the resources to spare to fix it...

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

The Legendary weapon starter kit is 1,000 wizard bux and shortcuts A LOT of work.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Weapon_Starter_Kit

I was excited for this until I realized it was literally just those four choices. Give me Moot you cowards!!! :argh:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

SlothBear posted:

I was excited for this until I realized it was literally just those four choices. Give me Moot you cowards!!! :argh:

I believe the selection is supposed to rotate periodically.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

I believe the selection is supposed to rotate periodically.

Yeah, MightyTeapot mentioned this in one of his videos. Every quarter, along with refresh of rest of wizards vault (cheap gold bags, mystic coins, etc)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if they'll get to gen 2 weapons, I would love to do that for the great sword even though I don't have a character that really uses it (yet???).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I might finally make Quip. Holy poo poo...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I have 15 points from logging in 3 times so it's not something I'm going to get any time soon, but if you do get one of those legendary jump start boxes, what else do you need to then make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have an alt core-only account I'd like to use to make a legendary for my main but am not really looking forward to gifts of battle and exploration. Are there enough others like that out there who'd be interested in setting up a group to chip away at it?