Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my right and left triggers arent registering in ac6. work in other games. steam input doesn't make a difference.
sad.
wonder whats borked
mouse 1 and mouse 2 do what they are supposed to but i can't make the controller do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

wait... are people having issue with the literal first mission in the game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's a Fromsoft game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trying reverse joint legs, and they're kinda nice, though I feel like the normal bipedal legs were maybe better at ground-maneuvering? You can definitely stay in the air most of the time with them (the reverse-joint legs), but not sure how much I like that compared with other options.

Just for variety, I'm trying out a build with the reverse-joint legs + dual shotguns + the targeting chip that makes close-range guns target better. Can't really figure out what I want to do with the shoulder things; I'm just arbitrarily using two different types of missiles.

edit: Question - does weight affect anything other than "the limit of equipment you can equip"? Like does it change handling in any way?

Xaris posted:

same. i did discover the boost+swording things is really good really really early on.

i'm still getting used to controls though. i think my biggest problem is kinda going 'wtf do i do now' when my boost isn't working or using it too soon and falling off. feels like i'm a sitting duck just getting creamed when i'm no longer boosting. i'm also maybe not using ground boost as much as I should?

Yeah, I also have trouble managing boosts. For a while I was using the battery thing that recharges super fast, and that helped a lot with avoiding the "sitting duck" issue (since it basically comes back the instant my feet touch touch the ground), but that battery unfortunately has a low energy cap so I needed to change it out to experiment with some other gear.

Speaking of boosting, how do you stop one of those combat boost things (the L3 boost)? I can never get those to stop when I want them to, and it was a huge pain in the rear end during the big mining ship level, where I kept falling off and struggling to get back up because I couldn't stop exactly when I wanted to and would just sort of direct myself into the ground and mash the jump button.

Mean Baby posted:

wait... are people having issue with the literal first mission in the game?

To be fair, the first mission boss is way harder than anything I've encountered for the next 6 missions after it.

It's hard largely because the game doesn't make it clear how you need to deal with it (the advice it gives kinda sucks - it just tells you "go into the air to avoid the missiles," which doesn't exactly work). For a while I tried to take an approach of "watch for its attacks and avoid them," but this doesn't work because it fired missiles at these weird angles where they'll just come out of nowhere and hit you sometimes. And it has an insane amount of HP if you never stun it. And stunning it is extremely hard without mixing in melee attacks, and boosting into a helicopter and doing melee attacks to it isn't the most obvious option.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 08:05 on Aug 25, 2023

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I must be hallucinating. I just shot at it and whacked it a couple times up close.

It takes me like 1-4 hours on average to beat the first boss in soulsborne. I haven’t even been able to do it in DS3 the couple of times I’ve tried.

maybe after Covid I am now a God Gamer.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I know people that gave up on dark souls 1 and 3 and refunded because they couldn't beat the tutorial boss. To be fair they are a bit challenging but you can beat it with persistence. it would be cool if AC6 let you pick your starting class and origin story that defines your loadout though. deprived 621 loadout ftw

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm not experienced enough to know what the equivalent is. maybe you start the first mission with 4 mecha glocks or 1 single enormous fusion bomb that you slowly lob while riding on your broken tank treads that can't jump very high

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if its new can you warranty it? that sucks

Yeah, I shouldn't lose any money here, but it's a pain all around. Though I might replace my PSU too since that failure was so out of the blue. Wanted to fly some stompy robots instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mean Baby posted:

I must be hallucinating. I just shot at it and whacked it a couple times up close.

It takes me like 1-4 hours on average to beat the first boss in soulsborne. I haven’t even been able to do it in DS3 the couple of times I’ve tried.

maybe after Covid I am now a God Gamer.

The whacking it is the key. If you don't whack it, it's incredibly hard. You need the melee combined with gun/rockets to reasonably stun it, and stunning it is necessary to reasonably kill it (because it takes almost no damage until you stun it). And its ranged attacks are very difficult to avoid and can do a lot of damage.

But the time I finally beat him, it just took a few seconds and was probably similar to your run.

I also personally had a couple issues with the controls. I was under the mistaken impression that there was some reason/benefit to holding down R1 when using my rockets against a single target. On my successful run I realized I could just keep mashing R1 and using the rockets on cool down. And more embarrassingly, I missed the part where it explains repair kits, so I effectively had less than half the correct HP.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

drat that's rough on the data loss. I had a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro nVME that recently failed. I updated the firmware once about a year ago but turns out it had a critical issue and I should have kept more on top of things, whoops. PSA:

"if you have a 980 Pro running the 3B2QGXA7 firmware, you'll want to update to the newest firmware (5B2QGXA7) using the Samsung SSD Magician software ASAP"

Maybe someday I'll get a big storage thing, and I guess it'll have to be RAID5 or RAID6 for $$$

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of Heroes of Might and Magic, has anyone played Songs of Conquest? is it good? I know it's still in EA but it's been in EA for a while now.

Its good but its super hard in the campaign mode. Like if you slack even a little bit you are punished severely and a lot of the maps might require several tries to beat. Which is fine in a way because not all the campaigns are finished yet so it will make the game last longer. The graphics are kinda amazing and the gameplay is fun and smooth, though they're still trying to iron out things that are either way too strong or weak. Which is both good and bad because obviously you want a game that isn't broken but some of the broken stuff is really fun so it feels weird when they take it out.

Its one of the better Heroes games, certainly better than anything Ubisoft ever helped put out.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I swear to loving god if this mindflayer starts hitting on my main character I am not speaking to another NPC for the rest of this game.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

never really thought of illithids being very big on conversations or doing anything but murdering you on sight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Its good but its super hard in the campaign mode. Like if you slack even a little bit you are punished severely and a lot of the maps might require several tries to beat. Which is fine in a way because not all the campaigns are finished yet so it will make the game last longer. The graphics are kinda amazing and the gameplay is fun and smooth, though they're still trying to iron out things that are either way too strong or weak. Which is both good and bad because obviously you want a game that isn't broken but some of the broken stuff is really fun so it feels weird when they take it out.

Its one of the better Heroes games, certainly better than anything Ubisoft ever helped put out.

thanks for the down-low

and yeah, Ubisoft couldn't even get the HOMM 3 HD remake right - the Russian mods are still better

it'd be nice if someone made a proper contemporary update for the first two HOMMs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

0 rows returned posted:

never really thought of illithids being very big on conversations or doing anything but murdering you on sight

Illithids are big into himbos and bimbos, because anyone with a better brain gets slurped.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

blasphemous 2 is fun but also i feel like it's going to be somewhat shorter than 1

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

HoMM5 is Ubisoft and it's the best entry in the series.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

0 rows returned posted:

fun thing: you can directly talk to him about this

spoiler: he is his own therapist (also the human he was before was p special)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Emperor sucks, Omeluum is my homie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Fortnite map has had some significant changes with this update.

3 pretty big new PoIs spread across the map.

Lots of new weapons and consumables.

New augments

Lots of returning mythics

Normal unvaults:
Remote explosive
Suppressed sniper rifle
Suppressed pistol

Some top tier sweat poo poo was added

This season is shortened. It is set to end November 3rd.

The vampire boss NPC Renfelded the OG loopers. :stare:

AND JONESY IS BACK

AND THE LIVE EVENT

I will post my favorite of the new skins. A loy of them are cool though.

Rumor/leak:
More my hero collab coming
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1694890508986818600?t=-4uCywTYYpfBLBJziuWYvw&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm hype

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I called in to work. 😁 time for some new season.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is a queue! I haven't seen this since before no-build. LET'S GO

Edit:
Gameplay trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZC4gXVuKc

I'm vibrating

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Aug 25, 2023

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

shut the gently caress up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

R. Mute posted:

No.

Edit: this is the last bit I found that is interesting anyway until the servers are fixed. They seemed to be borked.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Aug 25, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

R. Mute posted:

It's okay for someone to like a different toy than you

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Whirling posted:

blasphemous 2 is fun but also i feel like it's going to be somewhat shorter than 1

I still need to play the DLC of the first game (and also play it in Spanish). I really loved Blasphemous, insta-kill spikes and all. But for now I'm playing Aria of Sorrow so I can finish off the GBA Castlevanias.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SirSamVimes posted:

HoMM4 most underrated in the series. HoMM3 most overrated. Come at me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of boosting, how do you stop one of those combat boost things (the L3 boost)? I can never get those to stop when I want them to, and it was a huge pain in the rear end during the big mining ship level, where I kept falling off and struggling to get back up because I couldn't stop exactly when I wanted to and would just sort of direct myself into the ground and mash the jump button.

jump

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

nobody on this forum is interesting enough to warrant a post that requires two or more scrolls to get through

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

R. Mute posted:

nobody on this forum is interesting enough to warrant a post that requires two or more scrolls to get through

Luckily scrolling is very easy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a Fromsoft game.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i have ac6 installed and rdy to go but ive been playing hardcore world of warcraft for 12hrs instead

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Seek help

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Popy posted:

i have ac6 installed and rdy to go but ive been playing hardcore world of warcraft for 12hrs instead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fromsoft has really learned a lot about gamefeel from their soulsborne games, it just feels incredible to glide around in my mech in AC6

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Popy posted:

insanely hosed up priorities, seek help

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of boosting, how do you stop one of those combat boost things (the L3 boost)?

pull back on the left stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SirSamVimes posted:

100% agree, and I played 3 and 5 a lot

4 I bounced hard. Never tried 6 and above