Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i love cooking but i started doing cereal for dinner since my tech job offers a free lunch cooked by a real chef that's now become the main meal of the day

the one big problem with this setup is that im getting bad at doing grocery shopping, since i only need to do that for my weekend meals, so i put it off and in the middle of the week i'll end up missing something that i wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the only "viable" interplanetary mode of travel is the one from Altered Carbon imo: slow ships that dump a load of infrastructure and cloned bodies on a planet then you beam your brain over there (handwaving the speed of light in the process obviously)

so we could very well end up with a planet of Andreesens and thiels which is going to be somewhere between Coneheads and that Dracula in Space film I've forgotten the name of (Dracula X?)

e: use entangled particles to do it which raises the spectre of downloading your brain in serial over the equivalent of COM1

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the only "viable" interplanetary mode of travel is the one from Altered Carbon imo: slow ships that dump a load of infrastructure and cloned bodies on a planet then you beam your brain over there (handwaving the speed of light in the process obviously)

so we could very well end up with a planet of Andreesens and thiels which is going to be somewhere between Coneheads and that Dracula in Space film I've forgotten the name of (Dracula X?)

e: use entangled particles to do it which raises the spectre of downloading your brain in serial over the equivalent of COM1

I feel as though the "beam your brain" is a bigger thing to hand-wave away than the speed of light in that com channel. Like, even in Altered Carbon that was the one piece of tech considered so magical that it came from the remnants of an unknown hyper-advanced civilization

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

echinopsis posted:

we call grilling a barbie and heck it’s great poo poo

heaven would be drinking a beer while grilling some lamb chops and then eating them and then immediately you’re hungry again, your beer refills, and you’ve got more lamb chops to grill

Pining for Valhalla.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

in the Alastair Reynolds universe they tried sending zygotes in starwisps at near light speed to be born raised by robots and they all went crazy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

I feel as though the "beam your brain" is a bigger thing to hand-wave away than the speed of light in that com channel. Like, even in Altered Carbon that was the one piece of tech considered so magical that it came from the remnants of an unknown hyper-advanced civilization

it's one brain Lance, what can it possibly need, 640kb?

after all, bill gates said that should be enough for anyone

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

in the Alastair Reynolds universe they tried sending zygotes in starwisps at near light speed to be born raised by robots and they all went crazy

which book was that I don't remember it? or was it one of his shorts?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

posting for appreciation

Midjack posted:

still looking for that real tomato. :smith:

edit: rotor gets it too!

i knew that joke was gonna be for like 2, maybe 3 people lol

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

which book was that I don't remember it? or was it one of his shorts?

it’s background material in the prefect and some of the earlier books, not a story in itself. called the ‘amerikano’ era

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it’s background material in the prefect and some of the earlier books, not a story in itself. called the ‘amerikano’ era

oh yeah I think I remember now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goblin week posted:

this is like a tradcath version of denying reality

You can totally cook a meal for a family of 4 in twenty minutes if you're american and the recipe is "dump three cans of stuff in a pan and mix it all up."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

it starts off good with “the reactionary techno shitheads are trying to ensure they stay on top for all eternity with the government’s money spigot” and quickly veers off into “the metaverse is going to destroy humanity and Peter Thiel is going to have a robot body with the strength of 10 gorillas any day now”

even worse, it cites yudkowsky

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

even worse, it cites yudkowsky

lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was hoping the author's wikipedia page would be funnier but it's pretty dull, however he does look like a celebrity impersonator of Adam Savage

also "In December 2010, Annenberg Press published Taplin's breakthrough enhanced eBook, Outlaw Blues: Adventures in the Counter-Culture Wars. The Wall Street Journal noted, "What makes Outlaw Blues stand out from the similar cultural memoirs is that Taplin packaged it specifically for the iPad, which he embraced on day one. He lovingly embedded 105 videos into the book's pages."" lol

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Shame Boy posted:

he does look like a celebrity impersonator of Adam Savage

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
like holy poo poo he really does

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

i was hoping the author's wikipedia page would be funnier but it's pretty dull, however he does look like a celebrity impersonator of Adam Savage

also "In December 2010, Annenberg Press published Taplin's breakthrough enhanced eBook, Outlaw Blues: Adventures in the Counter-Culture Wars. The Wall Street Journal noted, "What makes Outlaw Blues stand out from the similar cultural memoirs is that Taplin packaged it specifically for the iPad, which he embraced on day one. He lovingly embedded 105 videos into the book's pages."" lol

this guy is more like adam sadbitch

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AlbertFlasher posted:

like holy poo poo he really does

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

afraid no one around you understands your potato

I'm just a spudboy

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

not everyone can handle wire mother

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I wonder if any of those “loving embeds” are even still viewable 13 years later (though this must be a bit of an “if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?” situations because I can’t imagine anyone reading that book)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shame Boy posted:

afraid no one around you understands your potato

every day I open palm slam a vhs into the slot. it’s the truth about de-evolution and

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Killing Jelq posted:

I wonder if any of those “loving embeds” are even still viewable 13 years later (though this must be a bit of an “if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?” situations because I can’t imagine anyone reading that book)

some ephemera are too shameful for future digital archaeologists to uncover

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Killing Jelq posted:

It doesn't look like you can get the ebook anywhere now, so unless you have a downloaded copy saved somewhere there's probably no way we'll ever find out. The fact that it is no longer available anywhere does make it seem to me like he probably did actually include the videos themselves in the epub file for the book. I'm sure that was absolutely murder on the storage space of any device that downloaded it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

the 105 videos were lovingly embedded so if your device has a storage problem with that then you can go straight to hell t:mad:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Grace Baiting posted:

the 105 videos were lovingly embedded so if your device has a storage problem with that then you can go straight to hell t:mad:

I'm sure a 15gb ebook is exactly what people were clamoring for in 2010 when an iPad's storage capacity was either 16, 32, or 64gb.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i think you’re overestimating the size of realmedia 160px vids

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in a well actually posted:

i think you’re overestimating the size of realmedia 160px vids

thats more 2000 than 2010

im thinking quicktime 640x480, roughly 128kbps with massive artifacts

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 25, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Carthag Tuek posted:

thats more 2000 than 2010

im thinking quicktime 640x480, roughly 128kbps with massive artifacts

I'm interpreting "lovingly embedded" as "used barely-compressed 800x600 mov files". After all, it's an iPad so it will be able to play it perfectly!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
When the iPad was brand new I had a friend, a Flash website designer, who bought two of them day 1. Lined up in front of the Apple store and everything. His plan was to use them as his portfolio -- he was going to mail them overnight with a prepaid return envelope to wherever he was applying. He said it would be the best way to show off his work, on a device he could control rather than some random computer, and that the interviewer would be impressed by how much effort he put into applying and all that hustle culture poo poo.

I said "doesn't flash not work on iPhones? It probably won't run on this iPad either."

He said "yeah, that's true right now, but everything uses Flash. They're going to make a version for iPhones any day now."

Lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty much every ipo is a failure now

quote:

Investors are making their feelings about digital mortgage lender Better.com crystal clear as the company begins trading on Wall Street: They’re not a fan.

Shares of the Softbank-backed company plunged 93% as it began trading as BETR on the Nasdaq Thursday, falling more than $16 per share to $1.19 by mid-day. (Better went public via a merger with special purpose acquisition company [SPAC] Aurora Acquisition Corp.)

Aurora, before its merger with Better, had a 52-week high of $62.91.

The disastrous public launch comes two years after the company initially filed to go public, but it (and the real estate market) has faced a number of challenges in the time since.

The outlook for homebuying is bleak, to put it mildly, for the near- to mid-term future. Mortgage rates are at their highest point since 2000—hitting 7.31% last week—and showing no signs of a turnaround. Because the majority of American homeowners have mortgages at or well below 5%, they’re reticent to put their homes on the market, which creates a supply shortage, even for those who are willing to accept the high rates.

But Better’s own history could be working against it, as well.

The company came under fire in December 2021 for laying off 900 employees via Zoom. (Some didn’t know they’d been affected until they learned they were locked out of company accounts.) A few months later, it cut another 3,000 workers. One month after, that it slashed another 1,000 jobs.

Eventually, the company cut 91% of its workforce over an 18-month period. That wasn’t the end of the problems, though. In a leaked video of a town hall meeting following the first round of layoffs, CEO Vishal Garg was shown vacillating on the reasons, blaming everything from marketplace forces to the recently-canned employees’ performance.

What really stood out, though, was his comment about his own overspending.

“I was not disciplined over the past 18 months,” he said. “We made $250 million last year, and you know what? We probably pissed away $200 million. We probably could have made more money last year.”

In many ways, this was a terrible time for Better to go public, given the market, the lingering concerns about management, and its decision to use an out of favor method to make its public debut. (Some 115 SPACs valued at $31.5 billion withdrew IPO paperwork in 2022, according to Dealogic.)

To leave some of that baggage in the past, the company has changed its name to the Better Home & Finance Holding Company. And it announced Wednesday that the combination with Aurora would unlock roughly $565 million of fresh capital, including a $528 million convertible note from affiliates of SoftBank.

The details of that arrangement have not yet been made public, but if that funding still comes through, it would certainly be welcome, given the company posted a net loss of nearly $90 million in its first fiscal quarter this year.

Garg also said he had gone through “a lot of leadership training” to rebuild trust both within the company and with investors.

“I’ve worked really, really hard to change the way that I show up to the team every day, and to be more empathetic and to treat them with the same level of kindness that I showed our customers,” he told TechCrunch recently.

He is also personally guaranteeing any losses SoftBank may suffer if it chooses to sell the debt, reports the Financial Times.

While investors, so far, haven’t shown any interest in the company’s stock, Garg called it a “momentous occasion,” late Wednesday.

“Better’s best days still lie ahead,” he said in a statement. “Going public positions us well to build a business that will thrive through cycles and we look forward to being good custodians of shareholder capital.”
gee why aren't people lining up to invest in this guy's vision

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
flash died when adobe bought it, steve just shoveled the dirt onto the coffin

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Also it’s a mortgage company at a time when it’s not very good to be one of those.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qirex posted:

pretty much every ipo is a failure now

that's not even an ipo, that's a spac, aka "we'd like to ipo but it requires a bunch of disclosures we don't want to do"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Also it’s a mortgage company at a time when it’s not very good to be one of those.

puttin the mort back in mortgage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flash died when adobe bought it but not because adobe bought it. they'd completely ignored search indexing, accessibility and mobile for a full decade aside for some hacked on after the fact features like making an xml tree for google and a mobile renderer that would frequently hardlock phones or make them overheat

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

flash died when adobe bought it, steve just shoveled the dirt onto the coffin

yeah, it is actually a blessing in disguise how badly adobe bungled flash, because someone competent would have preempted the modern web and app (and notoriously electron) starting from where flash was

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

flash died when adobe bought it but not because adobe bought it. they'd completely ignored search indexing, accessibility and mobile for a full decade aside for some hacked on after the fact features like making an xml tree for google and a mobile renderer that would frequently hardlock phones or make them overheat

and adobe chose to spend all their time (5 years? 8) tying the player to acrobat to introduce massive amounts of bugs and security holes, getting the Unreal engine embedded inside the player (!!) and all kinds of ridiculous poo poo instead of fixing those problems.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, it is actually a blessing in disguise how badly adobe bungled flash, because someone competent would have preempted the modern web

you make this sound like it would be a bad thing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Grace Baiting posted:

I hate the way Apple fanboys use their products. I don’t hate apple products either.