Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

hailthefish posted:

omw to check unread posts in this thread

yup that's posts

I appreciate that you are taking my posts seriously and masking up to avoid infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I think there was a bit of the exaggeration, given that genocide is literally not possible, and she was trying to express that the impact is disproportionately ablist, obviously.

Seems to be taken as "manipulation towards getting someone else banned"

I fear that my previous post is going to read as too insincere or jokey now, so I'll just be blunt about it. It's not legal to say a post is genocide because it's critical of this thread, or for most other reasons, even if you think it's an exaggeration.

Saying "free <poster>" is fine for rich historic reasons, but anything that sincerely reads as calling a post genocide or defending that take is going to get probated.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Harold Fjord posted:

No that was on purpose

ohh god drat she literally did post her own information in an avatar she bought herself and the mods had to scrub it

holy lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Harold Fjord posted:

Overall the thread is in a good place right now tho

the kiss of death

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's a hidden bout because the case of covid he had was only disclosed after he died, and months after he caught it.

"The five palm exploding heart technique ain't poo poo. Wow I can't believe I dropped dead in the middle of a light jog"

you're right, i misremembered what the tweet said

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Aug 25, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SardonicTyrant posted:

We are like the shitposter who shits and then lives in our own poo poo.

The second arrow of shitposting

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I take refuge in the lols
I take refuge in the lmaos
I take refuge in the memes

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
in 2020 you had athletes and celebs getting covid and people being concerned for their life. now they just get covid and disappear for a while.

in Bray's case, he has been fired by Vince over creative differences/cost cutting, came back for one very stupid match, and then disappeared again. there were rumors there was a health problem but nothing confirmed until now.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mekchu posted:

you're right, i misremembered what the tweet said
Hey, it's all good. No harm done. Sorry I made that joke about it.

SardonicTyrant has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Aug 25, 2023

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

speng31b posted:

I fear that my previous post is going to read as too insincere or jokey now, so I'll just be blunt about it. It's not legal to say a post is genocide because it's critical of this thread, or for most other reasons, even if you think it's an exaggeration.

Saying "free <poster>" is fine for rich historic reasons, but anything that sincerely reads as calling a post genocide or defending that take is going to get probated.

Well, in CSPAM this is true (and under the eye of vyelkin), and I am glad of it - even if I generally like Silicon Thrills as a poster and their contributions to threads.

Probably can't expand it forums wide while the war is on, though, unfortunately. (and no I have not been keeping lists of offenses and posters to point to specific examples)

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Mekchu posted:

you're right, i misread/misremembered what the tweet said. i thought it was just 1 case of covid he had, which lead to the heart problems then heart attack.

i think your chronology is right, but apparently it was not public knowledge that he had in fact had covid and then infection-related-or-magnified heart problems and then heart attack. this is specifically because admitting to being sick with covid is a no-no for many performers either because of insurance contract structures or because it will have other spillover effects on their ability to earn a living. someone earlier mentioned wrestlers needing to do a lot of high-fan-contact gladhandling/PR/con booth type poo poo, etc. now the guy's family want people to know that's what happened, per that xeet and the next xeet in the xead

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I might not have to booster bandit for the updated xbb shot! Earlier this week got an company wide email about the upcoming health fair we'll have in the third week of September. Just ignored that because we always have that every year and it's honestly just boring. But my direct boss just contacted me this morning telling me that I'll get some time off so I can attend and if needed we could work a schedule so my entire group can go and check it out and get our shots. Asked her what shots were we gonna get and she didn't know, just that her own boss emphasized it was important.

We don't do that for the flu shots and I really doubt we're getting the RSV shots so hoping it's the xbb shot 🙏

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

ohh god drat she literally did post her own information in an avatar she bought herself and the mods had to scrub it

holy lol

No way was it her real address.

It was a random house.

Right?

Right?!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Buffer posted:

Well, in CSPAM this is true (and under the eye of vyelkin), and I am glad of it - even if I generally like Silicon Thrills as a poster and their contributions to threads.

Probably can't expand it forums wide while the war is on, though, unfortunately. (and no I have not been keeping lists of offenses and posters to point to specific examples)

banning hyperbolic accusations of genocide would be nice as a tool against sinophobia on SA but alas

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

It was a random house.

Right?

Right?!

I honestly hope we never find out

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Someone please tell me it wasn't a posting enemy of hers!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It was a random house.

Right?

Right?!

Let's not expand on this line of thought

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
In the SAD posting thread a mod/admin mentioned that like half of all reports are worthless or slapfights, so I can't wait for the deluge of LC probes for erroneous or lovely reports.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

speng31b posted:

I expect that would be a challenging argument to make in forums court.

reboot SAD as Nite Crew Court

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
lol at the genocide report and the spanish manlove post

the only thing i actually remember about his tenure as a gbs mod was him and his sister getting doxxed by mod-obsessed offsite weirdos so

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

captainbananas posted:

i think your chronology is right, but apparently it was not public knowledge that he had in fact had covid and then infection-related-or-magnified heart problems and then heart attack. this is specifically because admitting to being sick with covid is a no-no for many performers either because of insurance contract structures or because it will have other spillover effects on their ability to earn a living. someone earlier mentioned wrestlers needing to do a lot of high-fan-contact gladhandling/PR/con booth type poo poo, etc. now the guy's family want people to know that's what happened, per that xeet and the next xeet in the xead

also because vince mcmahon/wwe has a horrible mindset about how to treat their performers which is replicated in the ufc now they're owned by the same company now

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 13:56 on Aug 25, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

the thing about celebrity illness and death etc is really i might question internally or even make a joke here or there but overall the "cover up" of covid when it comes to someone's personal health doesn't really bother me that much? but maybe im just conditioned like most to respect families and people in a time of loss or whatever, and covid consciousness aside people have always tended to be pretty tight-lipped about health specifics when a loved one is ill or dies. we know covid is everywhere and that it is still killing and doing other horrible things, so it doesn't bother me when they "cover it up" idk. that's just me

e: the performer issue is an aside thing, but from an exploited worker concern, as performers have to tour to keep being in music etc, unless you are an ultra celebrity, and then you have a performance to maintain to keep the industry looking like everything is fine.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

banning hyperbolic accusations of genocide would be nice as a tool against sinophobia on SA but alas

I think it gets complicated when the US state department is like wow this Adrian guy sure is the bees knees

I don't know why it gets complicated, but it seems to.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Mekchu posted:

also because vince mcmahon/wwe has a horrible mindset about how to treat their performers which is replicated in the ufc now they're owned by the same company now

no fuckin doubt.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Buffer posted:

What war?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Even outside of cspam it should technically be against the rules now but due to the widespread scale of politics drama it's pretty tough to enforce for a variety of reasons.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Not sure if this is just a "special operation" joke or if this is just a Covid brain fog joke that folks forgot about the Ukraine

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I don't like "covering up" covid because it normalizes that it's over for the sake of returning to business

early 2020 had one wrestler (adam page) with a storyline of being concerned with covid. now he wrestles in crowd soup every week.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Buffer posted:

Nothing against Silicon, but a report is effectively a post in the mod forum and going in that hot is a "flying to moscow on a small plane" level idea.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

mags posted:

the thing about celebrity illness and death etc is really i might question internally or even make a joke here or there but overall the "cover up" of covid when it comes to someone's personal health doesn't really bother me that much? but maybe im just conditioned like most to respect families and people in a time of loss or whatever, and covid consciousness aside people have always tended to be pretty tight-lipped about health specifics when a loved one is ill or dies. we know covid is everywhere and that it is still killing and doing other horrible things, so it doesn't bother me when they "cover it up" idk. that's just me

e: the performer issue is an aside thing, but from an exploited worker concern, as performers have to tour to keep being in music etc, unless you are an ultra celebrity, and then you have a performance to maintain to keep the industry looking like everything is fine.

it's fine if families don't want to discuss it. this family does, according to the social media account of a guy who reports on wrestling professionally as far as I can tell. not everyone is in fact tight-lipped, though, particularly when the cause of death is seen as part of a broader, bigger, structural problem. like former NFLer and NHLer TBIs, for example

for me the whole "can't say it's covid" phenomenon with performers problem is more about the structural incentives. specifically, though not exclusively, the voiding of insurance coverage for cancelling work due to illness if and only if the illness is covid. and the downstream effects those incentives have, ranging from public perceptions of the material reality as it relates to ongoing harms to a very large number of people, to raging internet slapfights that are boring as poo poo, to me

Buffer
May 6, 2007

genericnick posted:

Nothing against Silicon, but a report is effectively a post in the mod forum and going in that hot is a "flying to moscow on a small plane" level idea.

Well yea. I suspect Vyelkin is just as annoyed by spurious genocide / nazi / etc. poo poo as everyone is and was like OH gently caress THIS poo poo

which was... forseeable.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol I ordered both flo and betadine nasal sprays from Amazon (usa #1) and both showed up open box no seals lmao I'm sposeda squirt this in my nose??

wish there was a reputable importer available

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some news on the updated vaccine rollout, brought here in full due to the subject matter.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/25/health/covid-vaccine-release/index.html posted:

Updated Covid-19 vaccines are coming mid-September, officials say

Covid-19 vaccines that have been tweaked to teach the body how to fend off the current crop of circulating variants are now expected to land in drugstores and clinics in mid-September, CDC and FDA officials said.

The officials spoke Thursday about the US government’s preparations for the fall and winter respiratory virus season on the condition that they not be named.

The US Food and Drug Administration is expected to give its nod to the updated vaccines in a few weeks. Then the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, a group of independent experts that advises the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on its vaccination decisions, will weigh the safety and effectiveness of the new shots and make recommendations for their use. After the CDC director signs off on those recommendations, the vaccines can be administered.

Officials said ACIP will meet quickly after the FDA decision in order to expedite the regulatory steps and get the vaccines to market. The advisory group is scheduled to meet to discuss Covid-19 vaccines on September 12, meaning the vaccines could become available soon after.

The announcement comes amid a late summer uptick in Covid-19. The CDC tracks the disease through hospitalizations and emergency room visits, as well as wastewater monitoring and testing of travelers at some airports. More than 12,600 Americans are hospitalized with Covid-19, and that number is rising, jumping 22% in the most recent week.

Still, the officials said, those are levels that are about one-third of where they were a year ago, largely thanks to immunity from vaccinations and prior infections.

But antibodies against Covid-19 wane over time, and many Americans are due for a tuneup. Only about 17% of those eligible got the bivalent vaccines last fall, the last time the immunizations were updated. Three vaccines are expected to be available this year. Two are mRNA vaccines, from Pfizer and Moderna, and a third protein subunit vaccine from Novavax. The Novavax vaccine uses an older type of technology that contains the spike protein of the virus that causes Covid-19, plus an ingredient that revs up the immune system to crank out antibodies against it.

Both vaccine technologies are well-understood and safe, and they have been proven in the real world and in clinical studies to reduce the risk of hospitalization and deaths from Covid-19, the officials said.

The FDA plans to grant full licensure for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for people 12 and older. Vaccines for children 11 and under, as well as the Novavax vaccine, will be available under an emergency use authorization, the officials said.

The vaccines have been updated to teach the body to fight the XBB.1.5 coronavirus subvariant. They are also expected to retain potency against closely related strains. All three vaccine manufacturers say testing shows that their vaccines are effective against EG.5, the currently dominant strain in the US.

While vaccines were previously provided for free by the government, this is the first time vaccines will be provided through the commercial market. Under the Affordable Care Act, most insurance plans are required to cover the full cost of vaccines, without co-pays.

People who don’t have insurance, or who don’t have enough insurance, can still get vaccines for free through a government bridge program.

“That bridge program will exist through a few channels,” CDC Director Dr. Mandy Cohen said in an interview with CNN last week. “Folks can go to a federally qualified health center or they can go to their public health department. … And then the third option is, we are working with pharmacy partners such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and others to have it available in the pharmacies as well.”

The details of the pharmacy program are still being worked out, and there may be a slight lag in getting free vaccines at some stores. But health departments and federally qualified health centers should have them right away, Cohen said.

People will only need to tell their vaccine provider that they don’t have insurance to qualify for the benefit, she said.

Cohen also said unless a person has never been vaccinated and never been infected, it’s probably better to wait until the new vaccines come out in September, rather than opting to get one of the older bivalent vaccines now. Getting a bivalent vaccine now might delay a person’s ability to get the new shot within the next few weeks, she cautioned. In a video Q&A posted online, she advised anyone in this circumstance to talk with their doctor or nurse practitioner about their individual risk.

In addition, there are still a significant number of Covid-19 tests in the Strategic National Stockpile. The government has been sending those free tests to nursing homes and assisted living facilities, federally qualified health centers, school, libraries and a number of other places that serve the public. That program will continue, officials said. There’s also the option to bring back Covidtest.gov, the website where people can order free tests.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol I ordered both flo and betadine nasal sprays from Amazon (usa #1) and both showed up open box no seals lmao I'm sposeda squirt this in my nose??

wish there was a reputable importer available

the flos coming with no seal seems pretty common, you can tell if it has been used by seeing if you need to PRIME THE PUMP (a term my president invented)

mags
May 30, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I don't like "covering up" covid because it normalizes that it's over for the sake of returning to business

early 2020 had one wrestler (adam page) with a storyline of being concerned with covid. now he wrestles in crowd soup every week.

captainbananas posted:

it's fine if families don't want to discuss it. this family does, according to the social media account of a guy who reports on wrestling professionally as far as I can tell. not everyone is in fact tight-lipped, though, particularly when the cause of death is seen as part of a broader, bigger, structural problem. like former NFLer and NHLer TBIs, for example

for me the whole "can't say it's covid" phenomenon with performers problem is more about the structural incentives. specifically, though not exclusively, the voiding of insurance coverage for cancelling work due to illness if and only if the illness is covid. and the downstream effects those incentives have, ranging from public perceptions of the material reality as it relates to ongoing harms to a very large number of people, to raging internet slapfights that are boring as poo poo, to me

yeah i mean specifically regarding families releasing details

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I don't think I've reported posts in over a decade because I constantly come under the posting equivalent of the bystander effect, I see something gross or bad and say "that's too terrible to ignore, someone probably already sent a report about it"

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

NeonPunk posted:

Not sure if this is just a "special operation" joke or if this is just a Covid brain fog joke that folks forgot about the Ukraine

reported for using 'the', which is a holodomor

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

text editor posted:

I don't think I've reported posts in over a decade because I constantly come under the posting equivalent of the bystander effect, I see something gross or bad and say "that's too terrible to ignore, someone probably already sent a report about it"

Now if you click report it'll tell you immediately if someone already did instead of you composing a detailed, carefully written so as not to be punished, report only to find out someone got in ahead of you with a "WTC??!?!! FFF ZZZZ MODS?" So no worries.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Harold Fjord posted:

Now if you click report it'll tell you immediately if someone already did instead of you composing a detailed, carefully written so as not to be punished, report only to find out someone got in ahead of you with a "WTC??!?!! FFF ZZZZ MODS?" So no worries.

:aaaaa: you can instantly check whether any post has been reported, consequence-free? how long has that been around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

:aaaaa: you can instantly check whether any post has been reported, consequence-free? how long has that been around

Just like, this week