Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bit of a long shot but is anyone in the CA Bay Area willing to let me mooch, purchase, or trade

Voidscarred Corsairs Arm C40 (hand with two extended fingers)
Chaos Legionaries Arms A84, A108 (arms that hold squad leader weapons)
Chaos Legionaries Backpack Things A136, A139 (backpack things for heavy gunner variants)
The antennae that go on the back of the AdMech crane in Kill Team: Nachmund, wherever that comes from
Primaris Marine weapons: hand flamer, thunder hammer, power fist, bolt rifle with auxiliary grenade launcher, 5x bolt rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I definitely fall into the "love assembly and will never make a kit as intended", but I do find the new kits a bit more stressful to put together. I don't mind though because they look so nice.

I'd love to get the thread's opinion on my current project, a Vostroyan Bombast for my combat patrol. I absolutely love the idea of this gun team, I've always thought the guard should have a field gun. However, the Cadian's increasingly Korean/Vietnam War aesthetic really doesn't mix with the Vostroyans, who are at best Tsarist Russians, and more honestly, Napoleonic in appearance. I decided to lean into the Tsarist army look, and have the following so far:

While making this I've been looking at the following gun, but I'm not attempting to replicate it. I just wanted something era appropriate to use as a guide.

There is still lots of clean up, and it isn't all glued together. I'm curious what people think? Is the gunshield too plain? I want ample room for a decal or two, but it seems plain.

I just got the wheels today, haven't touched them up at all. I know they look rough.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm so bad at videogames but am very hyped for Space Marine 2.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SuperKlaus posted:

Bit of a long shot but is anyone in the CA Bay Area willing to let me mooch, purchase, or trade

Voidscarred Corsairs Arm C40 (hand with two extended fingers)
Chaos Legionaries Arms A84, A108 (arms that hold squad leader weapons)
Chaos Legionaries Backpack Things A136, A139 (backpack things for heavy gunner variants)
The antennae that go on the back of the AdMech crane in Kill Team: Nachmund, wherever that comes from
Primaris Marine weapons: hand flamer, thunder hammer, power fist, bolt rifle with auxiliary grenade launcher, 5x bolt rifle

PM me. I've got Voidscarred Corsairs Arm C40 and can do the Primaris weapons too, though the 5x bolt rifles aren't all interchangable so we'd have to make sure the other arms match up and which poses you want. I play Space Wolves so I've got lots of extra standard Space Marine stuff from where I've bought wolfy bits and swapped them in.

Edit: maybe Chaos Arms A84 too, and/or extra Chaos chainsword arms that you can cut the hand off of and glue the other weapon in.

Muir fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 24, 2023

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm curious what people think? Is the gunshield too plain?

Just add a few bolts and maybe a smaller plate as greebling and it'll look great.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Bolts! Great idea, I have a silicone bolt maker so consider it done. It didn't cross my mind because it would be a solid piece of steel, but in 40k everything needs bolts/rivets.

edit:

Good call on the greebles, helped me fit an aquila on there.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 24, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The only part of assembling a genuinely hate is the superglue, having to hold the pieces together for a minute or two sucks. Thank goodness the termagaunts that came in the leviathan box were push fit i wouldve died by nowS

Also i really wish they would label the bases sizes, the difference between 25 and 28 is so miniscule ive had several times i accidentally mixed them up

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
superglue accelerator

just make sure you're getting the piece in the right spot the first time

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Alternatively, assemble your plastic models with plastic cement, not cyanoacrylate superglue.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Virtual Russian posted:

Bolts! Great idea, I have a silicone bolt maker so consider it done. It didn't cross my mind because it would be a solid piece of steel, but in 40k everything needs bolts/rivets.

edit:

I know it may be a bit late in the day for this suggestion but I wouldn't have put a shield on it at all. That way it just looks like a cannon.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Any kind of IG field gun looks so drat cool on the battlefield, but I agree with the other posters that this looks more 1st World War than Napoleonic (but I guess the Tsar was around for most of WW1 anyway). The wheels really do make it look a lot older than the normal field ordnance battery.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Virtual Russian posted:

edit:

That will look just great once you add the rivets!

I have a bunch of those same wheels and I really wish I'd considered using them for my field guns. They're almost painted now, so it would be too painful to start swapping cutting them apart. :(

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I know it may be a bit late in the day for this suggestion but I wouldn't have put a shield on it at all. That way it just looks like a cannon.

This was my initial plan, to go with more of a Napoleonic look, but the carriage is so much bulkier than the gun and it just looked off. I'm much happier leaning into the WW1 field gun look. The bolts cured overnight and I'll attach them tonight after work.

Thanks everyone, I'm super happy with it now. I might have to skip it forward in my painting queue.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 24, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

At my game last night we had a bunch of questions about the rules for ruins, first and foremost we were unclear about how, exactly, visibility works with ruins. The rules say that models wholly in the terrain can see out normally and that models outside of ruins can see models wholly within, does that mean that you still need LOS from windows or what have you? I would assume so but the phrasing is ambiguous enough that I wasn't sure.

Since infantry can move through ruins as if the ruin was not there, does that mean that infantry can charge though ruins? It would seem like they can though the logistics are--and were--kind of a nightmare. Semi-related, can a model, infantry or otherwise that is b2b with the ruin wall attack a model that is also b2b with that wall? We debated it though it didn't actually come up.

Finally, the rules say that infantry models can be set on any level of a ruin, but does that cost any movement and does it cost any movement for them to drop levels?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

At my game last night we had a bunch of questions about the rules for ruins

Yes you do need LOS to shoot.

Yes you can run through walls, and yes it is a logistic nightmare. Base to base through a wall isn't a thing but being in melee only requires being within engagement range, which is 1" horizontally and 5" vertically.

Movement is just measured vertically. Moving down from a 3" high platform to the ground costs 3" plus whatever horizontal difference. You can set models up on a high platform basically for free during deployment, deep strike, etc. though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rantmo posted:

At my game last night we had a bunch of questions about the rules for ruins, first and foremost we were unclear about how, exactly, visibility works with ruins. The rules say that models wholly in the terrain can see out normally and that models outside of ruins can see models wholly within, does that mean that you still need LOS from windows or what have you? I would assume so but the phrasing is ambiguous enough that I wasn't sure.

Since infantry can move through ruins as if the ruin was not there, does that mean that infantry can charge though ruins? It would seem like they can though the logistics are--and were--kind of a nightmare. Semi-related, can a model, infantry or otherwise that is b2b with the ruin wall attack a model that is also b2b with that wall? We debated it though it didn't actually come up.

Finally, the rules say that infantry models can be set on any level of a ruin, but does that cost any movement and does it cost any movement for them to drop levels?

Yes, once in terrain you still need true LOS. There's a good breakdown in one of the supplements they released that I will go find now. Edit: page 12 https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/KBvH5h3oY5QREpmG.pdf

Infantry can charge through ruins, and engagement range is measured through the wall. This is why if the defender places models close enough to the physical wall such that the charger can not physically place a model within an inch of the defender without clipping through the wall, the defender is effectively unchargable. Generally you do this by placing defending models exactly 24mm away from the wall that has a thickness larger than 2mm. But if the defender was right up against the wall then the attacker can melee through the wall, which is dumb but RAW. Welcome to rules lawyering.

Vertical movement counts as total movement. If infantry need to go 3" horizontally then 5" vertically (up or down) that's a total of 8" required. However, a new and dumb thing is that fliers use direct lines for moving instead of just magically ignoring all terrain and just zooming across the board with impunity. So if the model in the previous scenario can fly, that's only a total of 4" required instead of 8".

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Thanks all, looks like we did everything right other than fudging LOS and I think I measured dropping levels just a little bit wrong but that didn't have a major impact on the game.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What is a "Slant List"?

oh is it a version of:

quote:

Skew List

Creating an army that has a heavily favored match-up into a certain meta.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 25, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think we do do better than "skew list" anyway.

From now on I'm going to call it a "wonk list"

Or an "askew list" or maybe even a "skew-whiff list".

Edit: Looking up synonyms just taught me the word "Thrawn" means "crooked or twisted". I wonder if that's where Admiral Thrawn's name comes from.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 25, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Kaskirn for WH+

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And a vampire as some people theorised. Could probably make for a good Dark Eldar Archon conversion.

But yeah that's definitely based on the 3.5 ed Kasrkin art, as previously discussed.

Kitchner posted:

Edit: Looking up synonyms just taught me the word "Thrawn" means "crooked or twisted". I wonder if that's where Admiral Thrawn's name comes from.

"Thrawn lists" sounds like a term someone needs to introduce to shatterpoint and other Star Wars miniature games.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Winklebottom posted:

Kaskirn for WH+

Whoever mentioned it earlier from the silhouettes was bang on. That is one hell of a dark eldar waiting to happen on the left.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/25/new-warhammer-miniatures-subscribe-to-take-your-pick-from-two-exclusive-models/

WarCom article up.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Athas posted:

loving hell, I have assembled a single Sister of Silence from the Adeptus Custodes boxed set, and I feel exhausted. This reinforces why I decided to go for a low model count army. Am I the only one who finds assembly much more tiresome than painting? Especially with the extremely small parts that GW has become so fond of using.

I hate assembling models. It’s my least favorite part of the experience

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Same, I just want to get to painting

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
btw i fuckin called it on the promo minis

Cooked Auto posted:

"Thrawn lists" sounds like a term someone needs to introduce to shatterpoint and other Star Wars miniature games.

already a thing in star wars armada. he's mid, used to be good but overtaken by more-specialized commanders in a faction that kinda can't avoid skewing. there's some galaxy-brain play if you can figure out how to get enough value from his versatility to make up the difference, and some people use him as a comfort pick since he's not exactly bad.

armada's kinda in a holding pattern though.

Verisimilidude posted:

assemble them wrong. embrace the xacto knife and craft saw.

metaphorically, i mean.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm the complete inverse, I love assembling and seeing My Dude come to life, and painting is miserable especially cos I picked the box colour scheme for my Tau.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Assembly can be nice, but can also be frustrating. It's a world of contrasts.

Cease to Hope posted:

already a thing in star wars armada. he's mid, used to be good but overtaken by more-specialized commanders in a faction that kinda can't avoid skewing. there's some galaxy-brain play if you can figure out how to get enough value from his versatility to make up the difference, and some people use him as a comfort pick since he's not exactly bad.

Was more thinking more for wonky lists, rather than lists actually featuring the Grand Admiral. :v:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I wonder if there's money in offering services as a pro-assembler like there seems to be in pro-painter?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I wonder if there's money in offering services as a pro-assembler like there seems to be in pro-painter?

no. it's not laborious and skill-intensive enough to justify it, outside of heavy-duty conversion. it's more of an addon to painting services.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cease to Hope posted:

no. it's not laborious and skill-intensive enough to justify it, outside of heavy-duty conversion. it's more of an addon to painting services.

Well i think the actual question is how much are people willing to pay for such services.

If I ask someone to paint 50 Guardsmen to a high quality that takes loving ages, even for an experienced painter.

If I can't be arsed to stick 50 guardsmen together and I pay someone else to do it, they can probably do it way faster than painting them. So the real question is what's the £ per hour you get for it.

I've spent the better half of a day sticking together 50 guardsmen together, let's say 4 hours. If you charged £80 to do that (or £16 a box) it's £20 per hour. Not sure how that compares to most commission painting. I always think it's way too expensive for me yo ever be interested in paying someone else anyway.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I love kludging dudes together and seeing how I can swap things around to make it interesting, but doing the cleanup and assembly (mostly cleanup) on the gallowdark terrain was utterly mind-numbing.

Ultimately I'm happy with how it came out, but I sure wouldn't do another set.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kitchner posted:

If I can't be arsed to stick 50 guardsmen together and I pay someone else to do it, they can probably do it way faster than painting them. So the real question is what's the £ per hour you get for it.

every job you take has a fixed overhead of friction too, so smaller tasks are worth even less. also a lot of commission painting just involves assembly anyhow.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If someone buys 50 guardsmen and has a breakdown looking at all the plastic they were never going to be a successful guardsman player. When their painting output is one model a month they should just play knights or something.

A successful IG player loves painting all the men and revels in it. They probably also have 10 leman russ tanks in a box somewhere waiting for the right moment.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Whoever mentioned it earlier from the silhouettes was bang on. That is one hell of a dark eldar waiting to happen on the left.

maybe its just because I'm on the tail end of making 10 karskin but the vampire looks like a much cooler model.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I love kludging dudes together and seeing how I can swap things around to make it interesting, but doing the cleanup and assembly (mostly cleanup) on the gallowdark terrain was utterly mind-numbing.

Ultimately I'm happy with how it came out, but I sure wouldn't do another set.

Looks great! I think I did similar, base coat and slop on an oil wash. Its such a slog and really put me off buying more than the two boxes I went in for. I still have one set unpainted.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Paragon8 posted:

maybe its just because I'm on the tail end of making 10 karskin but the vampire looks like a much cooler model.

Looks great! I think I did similar, base coat and slop on an oil wash. Its such a slog and really put me off buying more than the two boxes I went in for. I still have one set unpainted.

I actually had a lot of fun with the painting! Spray primer, kinda zenithal white spray, sponge rhinox and then slop on the oils. It was all the dremeling to get all those tabs to fit right that was the real drag.

That and realizing I still have 2 sprues of scatter terrain to do.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I've done that for my brother a couple of times.
Although the first time went from "You think you can magnetise these KT Guard Vets?" to just assemble them because it turns out you probably could do it, but it won't be easy.
That time I got paid in a pair of recast Kriegers. :v:

Then I kitbashed a Necromunda enforcer for him, to which my payment was a bunch of SoB bits, with enough bodies to make four of them. Just need some more weapons.
Final results were pretty good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Got another game in! We're just playing stupid lists right now to learn the game. my army was:
2 Cerastus Knight Lancers
3 Warglaives
Eversor assassin

And my opponent fielded:
Tank commander
Shadowsword
3 basilisks
3 more leman Russes

It was awesome. I got tabled. It turns out you do actually need something to do in the shooting phase, and I never pulled off a triple tank shock turn. But it was pretty close on points and the eversor almost punched a basilisk to death. And after one lancer died, everything on the board was painted.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Playing is best, then building. Painting can choke on a dick. It's so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Building/converting has always been my favourite, coming up with character ideas and cobbling them together out of spare bits is the good poo poo when you can see your idea come together.

I used to not enjoy painting because I'd go too had on it and burn myself out leading to unpainted armies but now that I've figured out a more sustainable pace I find it pretty relaxing.