Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's some bollocks about there being no distinction between an electric bicycle and like, a milkfloat or something. They're all "personal light electric vehicles" the laws are stupid and out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was more like there's no distinction being made between an e-bike and a Triumph Bonneville for riding on the pavement because they're both powered bikes, despite one being able to do 130mph and weighing 220kg and the other being capable of 20mph on a good day with a tailwind.

You could lump them in with electric mobility vehicles and say "5mph limit in pedestrian areas and don't be a dick"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The ones you don’t have to pedal and can instead just twist the handlebar like on a motorcycle are meant to be classified the same as mopeds and require insurance and registration and crash helmets etc, I think is the thing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This prick is getting absolutely roasted in the comments for his pro “cops harassing zero hours workers on bikes” stance

https://twitter.com/jasonregreen/status/1694854778625351771?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Standard bluecheck mentality on display

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

“Funny Money” by Keith

Don't know what local newspaper it was originally posted in (ed: Derby Telegraph) but there's a group on facebook called Angry People in Local Newspapers and it's on there.

https://www.facebook.com/angrypeopleinlocalnewspapers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is virgin internet having problems? Mine's shat the bed and I have no idea if those outage graph sites are real.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

This prick is getting absolutely roasted in the comments for his pro “cops harassing zero hours workers on bikes” stance

https://twitter.com/jasonregreen/status/1694854778625351771?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

"The developing understanding that one event brings about another. At around eight months of age, children perform simple actions to make things happen, notice the relationships between events, and notice the effects of others on the immediate environment."

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

The ones you don’t have to pedal and can instead just twist the handlebar like on a motorcycle are meant to be classified the same as mopeds and require insurance and registration and crash helmets etc, I think is the thing.

Yeah, it's this. In the UK you're only allowed pedal assist, no throttles and a max speed of 15mph, and a max power output of 250 Watts. Anything over that and it's an electric moped essentially.

The laws are archaic, and really there should be an update to allow people to exceed that, maybe with very cheap insurance, but I doubt that's gonna happen

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Is virgin internet having problems? Mine's shat the bed and I have no idea if those outage graph sites are real.

I think they are real though you have to look at the scale. Certainly, if I have trouble with Three it usually shows up on the graph.

I just looked at Virgin Media and there's a huge spike (437 reports) just now.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

But then Sadiq Khan will see that I've bought a beer. And they don't drink beer you know. So I assume his crack team of turban wearing assassins will see the report and then say something unpleasant about me.

Ah, so he's a Sikh-ret Muslim

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think they are real though you have to look at the scale. Certainly, if I have trouble with Three it usually shows up on the graph.

I just looked at Virgin Media and there's a huge spike (437 reports) just now.

It does for me too, but as I only look at them when I have problems I have no idea if they just always say there are problems when you look :v:

Cheers anyway.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/ksej/status/1695049363410579630?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Please don't feel you have to be a free RSS feed for the Boering Company

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

OwlFancier posted:

Mine was alright this morning, quite some time ago though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Uber Eats get food to my house in like ~20 minutes, I doubt the police would be there as quick even if I told them I’d just killed someone.

Advantage Uber Eats.

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)

OwlFancier posted:

It's some bollocks about there being no distinction between an electric bicycle and like, a milkfloat or something. They're all "personal light electric vehicles" the laws are stupid and out of date.

I agree there should be some change in the law to make these in some way legal with restrictions (insurance, no shared pedestrian space usage) but the idea that these low paid workers don’t know the law is pretty patronising.

Deliveroo riders know full well what the law is and which bike shops to go to get the illegal equipment installed. Unless you’re hanging round in a big group of deliveroo riders you’re not going to get pulled by the police. That’s why it’s always that same spot in Stratford where they get pulled - it’s big groups knowingly breaking the law in a really obvious way in an area full of pedestrians. Easy target for the police and they are often dangerous round there.

I’ve got a friend who rides an illegal e-bike without helmet at 40mph and he has zero concerns about being stopped.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright now make that same point again but without sounding like a cop shagger

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My internet on vodaphone keeps dropping but interestinly only on my work laptop and not on my personal one. So I'm guessing that they just cheaped out on the wifi card.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

Where do those mobility scooters fall on that then?

I'm always torn on them, they do give people a lease of life they would not have otherwise.
On the other hand, the number of times I've nearly been run over/into by some sixty year old going at what seems like 50 along the pavements/middle of the road with a drink in one hand and ciggy in the other makes me question their safety.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm always torn on them, they do give people a lease of life they would not have otherwise.
On the other hand, the number of times I've nearly been run over/into by some sixty year old going at what seems like 50 along the pavements/middle of the road with a drink in one hand and ciggy in the other makes me question their safety.

I think it's based on like, wattage and speed or something. I think fuctifino knows more about the specifics of scooters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

Class 2 is pavements only 4mph limit.

Class 3 is pavements 4mph/roads 8mph.

People ride them on the pavements in road mode though and they shouldn't.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Everyone should unite against the real menace that is those loving escooters anyway.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is very funny for late stage capitalism enjoyers. The best footballer on the planet outbid for his talents by vast Saudi oil money just clowning around like he’s playing against a jumpers for goal posts kids football team

https://twitter.com/trollfootball/status/1695009263016411521?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Some class 3 mobility scooters also have an 'off-road' 12mph setting, which some people also use on pavements and in supermarkets

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

People also love to mod them to go way faster than they should for people who don't have the reaction time or strength to not crash 300lbs of metal into other people's shins. Briefly worked for a wheelchair service and had so many users injuring other people and themselves because some dickhead customised the chair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of "off roading" in a 12mph mobility scooter is harrowing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

This is very funny for late stage capitalism enjoyers. The best footballer on the planet outbid for his talents by vast Saudi oil money just clowning around like he’s playing against a jumpers for goal posts kids football team

https://twitter.com/trollfootball/status/1695009263016411521?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg
Comments say this was a charity match years ago

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

smellmycheese posted:

The best footballer on the planet

let's not go crazy here

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ah. I’ve been led astray by Elon Musks X

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People also love to mod them to go way faster than they should for people who don't have the reaction time or strength to not crash 300lbs of metal into other people's shins. Briefly worked for a wheelchair service and had so many users injuring other people and themselves because some dickhead customised the chair.
Perhaps the Met should go after dangerous powered mobility users instead of Deliveroo workers who got a throttle instead of a peddle sensor because they're on their bikes for hours a day.

(Perhaps they should go after criminals, but one step at a time. Give them some rascal scooters with flashing lights.)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

You just need the right mobility scooter

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

fuctifino posted:

You just need the right mobility scooter

That thing's gonna be a real bastard to navigate round Tesco

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if you could get a kettenkrad classified as a mobility scooter.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

I had a weird dream once of a bunch of retired london mobsters based out of a speakeasy at the back of a bingo hall.
once "scene" involved a mobility scooter drive by.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New favourite conspiracy theory.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It would make sense though because it’s loving shite

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can't believe TrollFootball would mislead us like that

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Troll Football sounds like a budget Amiga title you'd find in the big bin in Woolworths.

Amiga Power - 72% in huge letters on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

New favourite conspiracy theory.

is there nothing the majestic 12 won't stoop to