Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

eSports Chaebol posted:

Augbesians need to be an HSA-eligible expense imho

if you're going to need an entirely different scale of living accommodations built for you, you might as well get a bidet installed :shrug:

e: great page snipe. have a poster

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

actionjackson posted:

the problem with [...] biking [...] is then cars try to kill you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

horse parts get old like 10 times faster than human parts.

you want a centaur now sure, but are you prepared for racing stallions with the minds of toddlers and young men with the bodies of glue mares?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Maroon Hawk posted:

in my industry, I’m doing pretty good if sweat is all I smell of at work

…but I’m not sweaty because I ride an e-bike to work, suck it acousticailures :smug:

going for analogue and punching it up to acoustc, nicely done

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was thinking about giant horse diapers but it's been years since I've even been around them and I guess they'd probably fill that in a single dook or less.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

all animals on trails should be subject to the same rules IMHO, make the horsefreaks scoop it, bag it, and carry it to a suitable disposal site

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have no empathy for horseback riders... hell I don't even really know any aside from acquaintances I keep at arm's length. EZ just to say ban that poo poo

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

hailthefish posted:

all animals on trails should be subject to the same rules IMHO, make the horsefreaks scoop it, bag it, and carry it to a suitable disposal site

Good luck enforcing that! I saw a turtle the other day and he didn't even have a bag with him.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
time to start shoveling horse poo poo and putting it in the tow-rig

not the trailer where the horse rides

in the cab

I never saw a mountain biker drop 50 pounds of poo poo in the middle of the trail

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

on a run last month, this horse had a diarrhea and it was unending on the trail. maybe they should have turned around and called it a day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can already taste the tears of the "Keep Toronto Moving!!" fucks:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/08/toronto-new-intersection-never-seen-before/

mystes
May 31, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

finally somewhere in north america is actually trying to do a protected intersection

I really hope it's successful

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

teethgrinder posted:

I'm looking forward to cars getting stuck on the dividers while trying to turn through the bike lane.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Philadelphia has solved the problem of not having enough bus drivers because they aren't paying enough, and you'll be very happy to know that the solution is in fact to pay people!

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-school-bus-driver-shortage-parent-flate-rate-program/

Lol they're paying parents to drive their own kids

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

Philadelphia has solved the problem of not having enough bus drivers because they aren't paying enough, and you'll be very happy to know that the solution is in fact to pay people!

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-school-bus-driver-shortage-parent-flate-rate-program/

Lol they're paying parents to drive their own kids

people always tell me i need to go to philly and it feels like a curse?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

people always tell me i need to go to philly and it feels like a curse?
It's worse than being told to go to hell but not as bad as being told to go to pittsburgh

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

It's worse than being told to go to hell but not as bad as being told to go to pittsburgh

lmao ive been to hell, MI and all i got was a t shirt that said ‘id rather drink a beer in hell than the water in flint’

so philly is kinda the rockford of the east

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

philly owns and it's mostly because they know they're terrible unlike new york who pretend to be good

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

hailthefish posted:

having horse specific trails would be a solution if riders respected the "no horse riding allowed" signs but they are very bad at that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQi2-_E4IiE

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Megamissen posted:

having horse specific trails would be a solution if riders respected the "no horse riding allowed" signs but they are very bad at that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQi2-_E4IiE

lmao i hadnt seen it yet

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Grassy Knowles posted:

lmao i hadnt seen it yet

just got done with it so it would have been strange if you had

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Megamissen posted:

just got done with it so it would have been strange if you had

it’s perfect tysm

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Megamissen posted:

simply put a single ant at the beginning of every trail. instant horse repellent

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

teethgrinder posted:

Love that the last line is about apprehension of this logical, human-based design and they compare it to this: https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/09/ontario-opens-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-people-expecting-worst/

One of those is stupid, and one of those is not!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lmao it's literally nothing like a DDI, if you're driving a car literally all you have to do is stop at the stop line on a red light and proceed on a green light like you would through any other 4 way intersection you've ever driven through

it just has a traffic circle for bikes superimposed on top of it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

imo they coulda painted the bike lanes in the Dutch style to make it stand out a little more (and also make it more obvious that it's just a four way intersection)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the ONE TIME where Magic Bike Paint might have helped!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

lmao it's literally nothing like a DDI, if you're driving a car literally all you have to do is stop at the stop line on a red light and proceed on a green light like you would through any other 4 way intersection you've ever driven through

Many drivers have problems with these concepts though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

concepts in general, really

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

Look, the concept of "don't drive on the sidewalk" is just far too complicated for their tiny driver brains to comprehend.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's at least a dozen different kinds of painted signals in that intersection. It does seem a little overwhelming, and we're definitely not teaching people what any of it means.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

This would have been great to have 25 years ago, but better late than never.

I don't have an opinion on DDIs but I find it curious that the government's own instructional video on it shows two cars clipping through each other at the lower intersection like 10 seconds in:

(there's a white car hiding under the e in Ave at the bottom)

https://twitter.com/ONtransport/status/1573339017000755202

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

hailthefish posted:

the ONE TIME where Magic Bike Paint might have helped!

hey, magic bike paint helps make the road more slippery when it really counts

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Fitzy Fitz posted:

we're definitely not teaching people what any of it means.

Agreed, let's take away everyone's driving licenses and once they can prove they've learned the new (and existing) concepts they can have a new one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SimonSays posted:

let's take away everyone's driving licenses

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

You're right I wasn't thinking straight

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

My city cut down a rather high traffic exit street to one lane with a protected bike lane finally linking up that part of town with the main corridor making it permanent. There was some pathetic protest during the week at City Hall about bike lanes in general, but I wasn't able to go ride my bike down and heckle them because I was working.

Saw a reddit post about someone who was happy that traffic is slow now in front of their house, but deeply negative towards bike lanes and the reduced parking spaces, so lol

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Was waiting at a set of pedestrian and bicycle traffic lights yesterday waiting to cross a busy road so I could get onto a cycleway on my way to work, and just as the lights turned green for me to cross a car blasted straight through the red lights in front of me, only to stop 50m down the road at the next set of red lights...

Also I've been thinking about how the ANCAP car safety rating system works these days, and specifically how 'driver assistance' features are now factored into the rating. I've always been used to the idea that the car safety rating was a measure of how safe the car was if you actually crashed into something, I get the reasoning behind factoring in systems that should reduce the probability of crashing into something in the first place as they would also reduce the probability of injury in the same way that a stronger body would, but I have no faith that the effectiveness of those systems is actually evaluated in any kind of accurate way in real-world conditions.

Also if you're going to start factoring in features that should make an accident less likely to occur into the safety rating then IMO you should also start factoring in features that make an accident MORE likely to happen, I'm thinking specifically of putting all vehicle controls into touchscreen/non-physical interfaces and giving the car lovely external visibility due to high belt lines and thick pillars.

If the aim is to encourage manufacturers to make cars safer by rewarding positive active safety features then surely punishing unsafe design trends would also be logical??

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
height and mass are bad enough on their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Lmao the biggest boulevard downtown got cut in half for a concert this weekend and traffic was not moving. I even saw a pickup that had been sitting in traffic rear end a car while nobody was moving and the guy very much hosed up his truck despite the real lack of room for acceleration.