Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

James Garfield posted:

That's the regular citizenship test, almost everyone who takes it passes.

The way you rig that kind of test (see: Jim Crow literacy tests) is by making it easy but ambiguous so the officials administering it can use discretion to decide who passes.

The goal isn't the same as the old way, where the official could "just tell" if the person was going to pass. The whole point is simply to make it a hassle for a demographic that isn't favorable to you to vote. It doesn't matter how easy or hard the test is, what matters is making people jump through extra hoops to be able to vote.

It's just another option in the arsenal of make voting annoying tactics. You need a photo ID, you have to register X amount of time before the election, curtailing early voting, curtailing mail voting, decreasing the number of polling places, etc. It's all to make voting a pain in the rear end, because older, wealthier, white people will crawl through broken glass to pull that Republican Lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

James Garfield posted:

That's the regular citizenship test, almost everyone who takes it passes.

The way you rig that kind of test (see: Jim Crow literacy tests) is by making it easy but ambiguous so the officials administering it can use discretion to decide who passes.

Currently, everyone who takes it are non-citizens who want to become US citizens.

I don't really expect born-and-raised Americans fresh out of high school to have the same level of civics knowledge or the same level of motivation to study and prepare for the test. It's not an insurmountable obstacle by any means, but it's not a trivial one either, especially for the age group that already has the lowest turnout.

Of course, the test could always get tougher. It's overseen by executive agencies that can change the contents and procedures of the test at any time without needing Congressional approval. For example, the Trump administration changed the test to make it significantly harder by adding new questions, replacing existing questions with more difficult versions, and doubling the number of questions applicants had to answer correctly. It's not very well-known because it only lasted a few months before the Biden administration scrapped that version of the test and returned to using the pre-Trump test. Gating voting rights behind a test that presidents can change at a whim is ripe for abuse.

Though in the end, none of this really matters because changing the voting age requires a constitutional amendment. Even if Vivek somehow wins the presidency, there's no way in hell he's passing an amendment like that. It's anyone's guess whether he realizes that, though. It could just be an appeal to the youth-hating sections of the GOP base, or he could be a true believer who really thinks he can do it. I don't dare to think I can tell the difference with him.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Right, the Vivek plan is obviously bad. But the test that was posted earlier is the citizenship test, not something Republicans wrote to prevent voting. It asks 10 questions drawn from a set of 100 because that lets it cover more material without making the test really long and even more stressful, not because it's a Jim Crow literacy test where the examiner decides who passes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It can still be both, the White Australia Policy comes to mind where it required a dictation test in 'a European language', chosen by the test administrator, that could be English or could be Scottish Gaelic.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Does Vivek plan on testing all of the retirement home boomers that the GOP busses to the polls? Because that could backfire. "Who is the current president?" "Definitely not that thief Joe Biden!"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ummel posted:

Does Vivek plan on testing all of the retirement home boomers that the GOP busses to the polls? Because that could backfire. "Who is the current president?" "Definitely not that thief Joe Biden!"

no. its specifically a gently caress the kids these days policy, 18-25.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Main Paineframe posted:

A lot of people could fail a lot of these questions if they don't go out of their way to study for it. Some of them are absolute softballs (like "What is the name of the President of the United States now?"), but questions like "How many amendments does the Constitution have?" or "What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?" would probably throw your average American for a loop. The difficulty can vary widely depending on which questions get asked.

Can confirm.

High school teacher here. I give students this test when we talk about immigration in class. Some chudling will bring up the idea of immigrants should know our country if they live here.

I have students shout out 10 random numbers and use those. In a class of 20 maybe 4 will pass with the minimum of 6 questions correct.

Agreed with the comment above though that someone wanting to be a US citizen will have studied these questions beforehand.

Students in high school just about to vote are woefully ignorant about pretty much everything about politics and the government. I was the same way when I was a teenager. Many of my students have strong opinions on Trump and Biden but cannot name a single policy or economic issue. “He made America great again!” “He sniffs children” is what I get unless their family discusses politics at home.

Nash fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 25, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Shooting in California restaurant

A man walked into a Southern California bar and shot his soon-to-be ex-wife and several others, killing 3 and injuring 6, authorities say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/23/us/orange-county-california-bar-shooting/index.html

Curious how RWM is going to report on this since:

A: Shooter was a former cop
B. California
C. Good guy with a gun

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

California gun laws kept the other patrons from defending themselves.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

A man walked into a Southern California bar and shot his soon-to-be ex-wife and several others, killing 3 and injuring 6, authorities say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/23/us/orange-county-california-bar-shooting/index.html

B. California
C. Good guy with a gun

Reckon they'll find a way to blame the ex-wife.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the_steve posted:

Reckon they'll find a way to blame the ex-wife.

Should have had her own gun, obviously

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

California gun laws kept the other patrons from defending themselves.

Yet they never look into why California's gun laws came to be.

It's Ronald Reagan and racism.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Right, the Vivek plan is obviously bad. But the test that was posted earlier is the citizenship test, not something Republicans wrote to prevent voting. It asks 10 questions drawn from a set of 100 because that lets it cover more material without making the test really long and even more stressful, not because it's a Jim Crow literacy test where the examiner decides who passes.

Yes, but a president can change the citizenship test at any time. At the end of the Trump administration, the citizenship test was 20 questions drawn from a set of 128. It's 10 from 100 now because the Biden administration changed it back, saying that the Trump test was too difficult and likely to substantially reduce people's chances of becoming citizens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

B. California
C. Good guy with a gun

The conservative understanding of California has always seemed weird to me. There are probably more conservatives there than in most other states, and tons of cities that are as blood-red and insane as you’d find anywhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The conservative understanding of California has always seemed weird to me. There are probably more conservatives there than in most other states, and tons of cities that are as blood-red and insane as you’d find anywhere.

They consider honesty, consistency and due diligence to be traps for suckers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One thing that is legitimately surprising about this primary cycle so far is that none of the Republicans have released any major tax cut plan (generally the best polling economic policy they have), but most of them are pushing plans to cut Social Security and Medicare.

Even Trump and Haley, who have bounced around a lot on the issue and tried to be more moderate, are "against cuts" for Social Security, but in favor of raising the retirement age.

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1694785545887449201

Part of it is that many of the candidates aren't releasing much policy at all. Pence is the only candidate with a platform on his website.

DeSantis doesn't even have an issues page at all and his website is just a link to donate and a scroll of his Twitter embeds that looks like a free website made in 2008.

https://rondesantis.com/

Trump is supposed to release his full economic plan soon, so maybe there will be more information in there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm down for this but only if we tie it to life expectancy based on demographics and zip code. Poor black person in Alabama? Enjoy your early retirement. Rich white person? You can collect social security when you're 90.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump is supposed to release his full economic plan soon, so maybe there will be more information in there.

I'm sure Trump will get around to releasing his economic plan around the same time releases his Healthcare plan and taxes.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm down for this but only if we tie it to life expectancy based on demographics and zip code. Poor black person in Alabama? Enjoy your early retirement. Rich white person? You can collect social security when you're 90.

They want to return Social Security to it's roots and make it only for white women

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I AM GRANDO posted:

Pretty sure republicans literally get more votes in California than any other state, because well, biggest state. Most states are like 60/40 blue/red or vice versa at most with a few outliers.

They have no idea what living in a Democratic-controlled area is actually like. People maybe 20 minutes out of town or just in the richer neighbourhoods here seem genuinely baffled I haven’t been gunned down by radical BLM antifa gangs.

And we’ve got it good compared to places like Portland. Our nutjobs cower in their swamps and suburbs and hug their guns rather than their favourite pastime being to descend upon the city to hold Nazi rallies and harass locals

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy's out on the beat hunting for some 6'3 215lb guys

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1695052478264258707

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The gentlelady from Minnesota will kindly refrain from being horny on main.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Those guys can probably handle a stapler thrown at them better than a lanky intern, so you go hog wild lady!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've got it - we'll cut off Social Security to Republican olds since they don't want Big Government, and nobody over 45 is allowed to vote.

Kalli posted:

Amy's out on the beat hunting for some 6'3 215lb guys

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1695052478264258707

The swoletariat

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Byzantine posted:

I've got it - we'll cut off Social Security to Republican olds since they don't want Big Government, and nobody over 45 is allowed to vote.

Republican olds like social security and vote.

The plan from DeSantis, Trump, and Haley (and previous Republican politicians) is to phase in the new retirement age for everyone under 50. It wouldn't change for anyone 51 or up. Every Republican politician is on board with that.

Their Medicare plans are all over the place and not nearly universal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Who is lying about not eating Arby's? It's not me, but somebody has to be, because they have almost $10 billion to buy out Subway.

Hopefully, we can finally end the senseless loss of life that the sandwich wars have taken from us over the last few decades.

Who could have predicted that Arby's would stand over the corpses of Subway, Quizno's, Blimpies, Le Pain Quotidien, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, and Firehouse Subs to be the last remaining national sandwich chain?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1694687282710585420

quote:

Private equity firm Roark Capital agreed on Thursday to buy Subway, in a deal that people familiar with the matter said values the U.S. sandwich chain at up to $9.55 billion, including debt, subject to targets in its financial performance.

The deal marks the conclusion of a drawn-out auction that started in February and attracted interest from several private equity firms. Reuters reported on Tuesday on a so-called earn-out agreement that was key to Roark clinching a deal for Subway.

For the full deal price to be paid, Subway's cash flow would need to reach certain milestones over a period spanning two or more years after the deal closes, according to the sources. Without the earn-out, the deal is worth $8.95 billion, the sources said.

Earn-out structures, while uncommon in the consumer and retail sector, are increasing in frequency in a challenging market for mergers and acquisitions as a way to reconcile price differences.

The sources said the arrangement helped bridge a gap in the valuation expectations between Roark and the DeLuca and Buck families that own Subway, which started up nearly 60 years ago in Connecticut.

The families were hoping to fetch more than $10 billion for Subway based on its strong brand and international growth, but the private equity firms countered it was worth less because they deemed its U.S. business saturated.

Roark prevailed over a rival bidding group led by buyout firms TDR Capital and Sycamore Partners, whose final offer was for $8.75 billion including an earn-out, and $8.25 billion without, the sources said.

Roark, which owns other restaurant operators and franchises, including rival sandwich chain Jimmy John's, will pay Subway's owners a break-up fee equivalent to 4% of the deal's value should antitrust regulators thwart the deal, one of the sources said.

The deal contact allows for 12 months for the transaction to be completed, according to the sources.

Roark took the view that the restaurant market is too fragmented for the deal to raise competition concerns, the sources added.

Jimmy John’s has more than 2,600 restaurants in 43 U.S. states. Subway has more than 37,000 restaurants in over 100 countries.

Roark and Subway, which announced the deal on Thursday, declined to comment on the terms.

Roark currently controls Inspire Brands, the owner of restaurant chains including Jimmy John's, Arby's, Baskin-Robbins and Buffalo Wild Wings.

Its experience of helping restaurant brands grow will be helpful, "especially in the U.S. market where it remains well below the peak it hit a few years ago", said Neil Saunders, managing director of market research firm GlobalData.

REVAMPING OPERATIONS

Tax considerations were part of the calculus to sell Subway. This is because the estate of co-founder Peter Buck, who passed away in 2021, donated his 50% stake in the privately-held company to his philanthropic foundation under the terms of his will. This offers a shield from taxes on the sale of the stake.

Founded in 1965 by 17-year-old Fred DeLuca and his family friend Buck, Subway has been owned by the founding families since its first restaurant opened as "Pete's Super Submarines" in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

The Milford, Connecticut-based company has been revamping its operations to deal with outdated decor and $5 deals on foot-long sandwiches that eroded franchisees' profits. In 2021, the chain launched a menu overhaul and splashy marketing campaign as it embarked on a turnaround plan that has helped sales grow.

Subway, which has closed thousands of U.S. locations since 2016, said a year ago that it wants to shift away from its current base of small franchisees that own just one or two shops, which tend to be family-run and sometimes barely scrape by.

The company saw a 9.85% increase in same-store sales in the first half of 2023. Its 12-month earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization are around $800 million, according to the sources.

JPMorgan Chase (JPM.N) and law firm Sullivan & Cromwell LLP advised Subway. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP advised Roark Capital, while Morgan Stanley led the acquisition financing.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Finally, I can get my meat mountain on a footlong instead of a hamburger bun.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

nerox posted:

Finally, I can get my meat mountain on a footlong instead of a hamburger bun.

Finally curly fries instead of a bag of chips.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Who is lying about not eating Arby's? It's not me, but somebody has to be, because they have almost $10 billion to buy out Subway.

Hopefully, we can finally end the senseless loss of life that the sandwich wars have taken from us over the last few decades.

Who could have predicted that Arby's would stand over the corpses of Subway, Quizno's, Blimpies, Le Pain Quotidien, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, and Firehouse Subs to be the last remaining national sandwich chain?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1694687282710585420

Without doing any study, most of the competing sandwich chains you mention are in business and some are doing well- Firehouse has more than a thousand outlets.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Without doing any study, most of the competing sandwich chains you mention are in business and some are doing well- Firehouse has more than a thousand outlets.

They are still in business, but they aren't a major player. Arby's has conquered all of their competitors.

- Potbelly's is regional in the U.S. now. They were looking for someone to buy them out a few years ago.

- Quizno's still exists, but 92% of the stores have closed.

- Subway just got bought out.

- Blimpies is down to less than 150 stores nationwide.

- Le Pain Quotidien just declared bankruptcy last month.

Arby's is the only major national fast food sandwich chain left.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 25, 2023

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Le Pain Quotidien sounds like a JRPG boss name.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arby's wont stop until they have all the meats.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

They are still in business, but they aren't a major player. Arby's has conquered all of their competitors.

- Potbelly's is regional in the U.S. now. They were looking for someone to buy them out a few years ago.

- Quizno's still exists, but 92% of the stores have closed.

- Subway just got bought out.

- Blimpies is down to less than 150 stores nationwide.

- Le Pain Quotidien just declared bankruptcy last month.

Arby's is the only major national fast food sandwich chain left.

It wasn’t Taco Bell that won the wars, it was friggin’ ARBY’S?????

God the future is bleak.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Silly Burrito posted:

It wasn’t Taco Bell that won the wars, it was friggin’ ARBY’S?????

God the future is bleak.

Demolition Man hosed up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roark Capital owns all these fast food joints which is like 1/3 of the fast food landscape
https://www.roarkcapital.com/portfolio

I also find it funny they own both fast food restaurant and fitness centers. Give you the poison to sell your the cure...

edit: they also already own schlotzsky's, jimmy johns, arby's and now subway. Truly the new sandwich mafia

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 25, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Demolition Man hosed up.

This is just the sandwich campaign, the Mexican front is quiet… for now

also who won the franchise wars depends on which theatrical region you saw the movie in

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FCKGW posted:

Roark Capital owns all these fast food joints which is like 1/3 of the fast food landscape
https://www.roarkcapital.com/portfolio

I also find it funny they own both fast food restaurant and fitness centers. Give you the poison to sell your the cure...

edit: they also already own schlotzsky's, jimmy johns, arby's and now subway. Truly the new sandwich mafia
Yum Brands owns a lot of the rest with KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

This is just the sandwich campaign, the Mexican front is quiet… for now

also who won the franchise wars depends on which theatrical region you saw the movie in

Whoa seriously? Pretty cool.gimmick.tbh

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whoa seriously? Pretty cool.gimmick.tbh

Burger King and McDonalds turned down the deal because R rated movie, but the only regional change I know of is in Europe it's Pizza Hut (also owned by the same company), though in the UK it's still Taco Bell. The TV cut of the movie ripped out all references to Taco Bell for no discernable reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Did they change all the food in the fancy restaurant to be pizza hut themed instead of Taco Bell? I'm now going to go down this rabbit hole.