Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://weather.com/en-IN/india/coronavirus/news/2023-08-25-new-omicron-sub-variants-ba286-and-eg51-pose-no-risk-to-indians posted:

Amid Fresh COVID-19 Concerns, New Omicron Sub-Variants BA.2.86 and EG.5.1 Pose No Risk to Indians: Experts
(..)
“BA.2.86 will not pose any danger to India, because India has been having Omicron since last almost 20 months,” added epidemiologist Dr Ishwar Gilada at the 55th Seminars on International Planetary Emergencies at Erice, Sicily, Italy, citing BA.2 and BA.4.

He noted that India has an edge over the two new variants, as the country has “since the beginning got good immunity so it will not affect India adversely”.
(..)
"It is indeed too early to draw sweeping conclusions about the BA 2.86 COVID-19 variant. While it has made its presence known, we do not have sufficient data to assert whether it is more infectious than its predecessors. According to the reported cases, most of its symptoms are that of the flu variant, just like the EG.5.1 variant, the symptoms of the COVID-19 variant BA 2.86 are similar to that of the flu-like cold, cough, lethargicness, myalgia, fever, etc,” Dr. Tribhuvan Gulati, Lead Consultant, Diabetes, Obesity & Internal Medicine at the CK Birla Hospital, told IANS.
(..)

:hmmrona:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao there won't be any danger from this variant because we're already maxed out on other dangerous variants already

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Harold Fjord posted:

Just like, this week

Still needs a date stamp.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

key public health reportage from Weather.com

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

hailthefish posted:

omw to check unread posts in this thread

yup that's posts

baggy blue ain't gonna save you from my diseased posts

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bastard Tetris posted:

I am honestly fascinated at how the US’ response to the pandemic echoed to places like South Korea, thanks for the insight.

The same is true for Europe. Relative to the ECDC, the US CDC is the de facto authority to defer to and not following their lead will get you immediately sidelined as a crank. It was different during the Trump years, partially due to anti-Trump sensibilities, partially due to the initial chaos.

At this point in time the ECDC seems to be pretty much in lockstep with the CDC, if usually with a slight time delay.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I thought the piece was pretty funny in an absurdist kinda way :shrug:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

COVID is weather just like earthquakes

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah even though my immediate supervisors are fine with it I got asked to go through HR / Accommodation process because of some VP of gently caress-all's push to get people back in the office. So I'm assuming that's their way of saying No but not having to do it themselves and/or covering their rear end.

There's literally nowhere in the building with anything resembling decent ventilation, so it'd mean wearing a respirator all day and going out to my car even to drink water.

I guess if anyone has actually had luck getting approval for remote work through a corporate HR process I'd be happy to hear any advice. (Yes I'm actually immunocompromised. I should be able to get documentation from my Doc, though I'm not sure I can get them to explicitly say 'Let him work remotely.')

Yeah I've had to go through Prudential the handful of times it's taken to stay remote for the last three years. Doctor has to be willing to fill out their form, it disappears for a few weeks, and then you get your final verdict. I have no idea who is involved with actually making the decision. I had to drop my cardiologist because he made some argument about the economy instead of weighing in on whether it's good for someone with congenital heart disease to get COVID. My GP is a bit of a nut, probably thought I was full of poo poo, but still filled it out last time.

I'm honestly fine with coming back a couple days a week and masking, but I'm afraid they're trying to catch me out as an excuse to fire me since I think they're planning layoffs anyway. I came in this morning for the first time in 3.5 years and there's like 3 people on this whole floor. Definitely worth driving in and paying for parking.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait they make you pay to park at your work?! That's some loving bullshit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

omw to check unread posts in this thread

yup that's posts

hey what’s with the surgical?

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
i dont know whats with the surgical with you?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mags posted:

i dont know whats with the surgical with you?

Baggy.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the surgical is for keeping droplets of peoplesoup from going in my faceholes

i just decided to take a selfie before going into the dirty area to make a fun joke about ppe in the covid thread

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

You know, if you want n95s the thread will give you a whole case, on us.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

i just decided to take a selfie before going into the dirty area to make a fun joke about ppe in the covid thread

that’s probably a good use for them

not really gonna protect you from covid, though. and personally I’d be more concerned about a covid getting in my face hole than a peoplesoup

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

What are the disposable waterproof n95s anyway? Those would probably do a better job on people soup then surgicals as well as for covid.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tuyop posted:

hey what’s with the surgical?

surgical masks are often worn during surgery :eng101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

StratGoatCom posted:

You know, if you want n95s the thread will give you a whole case, on us.

yeah I’ll personally send you like 50 or whatever. pm me your address or I’m discyop on discord.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DickParasite posted:

For anyone not following the SAD thread about Boba Pearl's avatar doxing:

It turns out Boba Pearl was previously permabanned user Turtlicious.

:lmao:

loving lol, I just found out about SPR through this too. this is incredible, what a gift, my cup runneth over

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

What are the disposable waterproof n95s anyway? Those would probably do a better job on people soup then surgicals as well as for covid.

This is the difference between an ordinary occupational N95 and a true medical N95: medical ones are fluid resistant (3rd page)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

loving lol, I just found out about SPR through this too. this is incredible, what a gift, my cup runneth over

absolute incredible week for posting tbh

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
surgical n95s are 3M 1860s :eng101:

goons being weird about selfies... loving universal

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

surgical n95s are 3M 1860s :eng101:

goons being weird about selfies... loving universal

Just got some of these. Comfy but hard to seal on my tiny mandible.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

Just got some of these. Comfy but hard to seal on my tiny mandible.

Cup n95s suck rear end. There's a surgical/splash rated Aura which has red headbands. I've actually seen them in the wild around here a couple times which I assume is from surgeons raiding the supply closet at work.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

The Oldest Man posted:

Cup n95s suck rear end. There's a surgical/splash rated Aura which has red headbands. I've actually seen them in the wild around here a couple times which I assume is from surgeons raiding the supply closet at work.

I think those are model 1870s

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

tuyop posted:

that’s probably a good use for them

not really gonna protect you from covid, though. and personally I’d be more concerned about a covid getting in my face hole than a peoplesoup

10 air changes per hour in a room with me and one, maybe two other people in it, covid is literally the least of my concerns when i'm trying to scrub viscera off of surgical instruments with a soft nylon brush

StratGoatCom posted:

the 3m Aura 1870+ is rated for surgical use but we don't stock them downstairs in decontam :shrug: risk is pretty low though so it doesn't bother me

The Oldest Man posted:

they're the red headband ones, yeah

hailthefish has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Aug 25, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Oldest Man posted:

they shouldn't do that. we have to save n95s for surgeons

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

hailthefish posted:

Yeah when I used to do MLT work that's basically exactly what I'd wear, but this was in the early 00's. Faceshield, surgical, coat and gloves was plenty enough to deal with regular hospital lab samples. It just really blows that everyone is having to navigate a perpetual level 3 biohazard zone that is now society lmao.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Are swollen gums a symptom of COVID too? I’ve never had this before but I woke up with my gums inflamed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Are swollen gums a symptom of COVID too? I’ve never had this before but I woke up with my gums inflamed.

Generally it seems like Covid can cause inflammation anywhere it ends up.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Harold Fjord posted:

Generally it seems like Covid can cause inflammation anywhere it ends up.

yeah it's this

was it calibanibal who was the tooth loss goon? I think he was trolling at first and then people started reporting tooth loss lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I missed the new thread opening but I'd just like to come in and say I do not have Covid

:covidtree:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Oh and thanks for the new op, very informative

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

*cough*

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
wtf is SPR?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah it's this

was it calibanibal who was the tooth loss goon? I think he was trolling at first and then people started reporting tooth loss lol

Pretty sure that was a shovelbums rereg

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

they shouldn't do that. we have to save n95s for surgeons

don't you mean from surgeons :v:

Glumwheels posted:

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah it's this

It's not a common symptom but COVID can do a bunch of hosed up stuff to your mouth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8762203/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Forseti posted:

wtf is SPR?

PYF IK who bought herself transphobic avs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Harold Fjord posted:

PYF IK who bought herself transphobic avs

Thanks, I'm satisfied to leave it at that. That's more or less what I figured from context