Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lyran Commonwealth
House Command: Fairly risky, it just depends on who's in control of the local theater and whether or not they're competent.
Liason Command: Usually pretty safe, you'll get a junior officer who may not have Social General poisoning yet... provided they're a Captain or below. Pray you don't get a Major, that's the buy-in rank for most wealthy idiot failchildren. If your liaison is a Major you'll be babysitting them rather than the other way around.
Independent Command: Usually very safe, it means they trust you and want to build better relations with you.

For reference for the thread, Contract C is with the Federation of Skye, which is part of the Lyran Commonwealth but has a history of getting antsy about wanting independence at inopportune moments. Given the time period and that it's a contract to raid the Combine, this contract is probably on the up and up, but it would behoove potential goon votes to bear in mind that the company's employers may not be in complete accord with the mothership.

Also potentially concerning given that this company is mainly Lyran in origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SIGSEGV posted:

I suppose that's the sort of thing you can GM edit?

Technically you don't even need to, all AtB says is "Second Battalion, First Company, Alpha Lance" is assigned, nothing stops you from changing the mechs in that lance around

Or just making Steiner scout lances in the first place so it doesn't matter what they choose

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

For reference for the thread, Contract C is with the Federation of Skye, which is part of the Lyran Commonwealth but has a history of getting antsy about wanting independence at inopportune moments. Given the time period and that it's a contract to raid the Combine, this contract is probably on the up and up, but it would behoove potential goon votes to bear in mind that the company's employers may not be in complete accord with the mothership.

The current leader of Skye is Duke Aldo Lestrade IV, a rapist and kinslayer respected noble, who suffered a case of acute karmic justice for murdering his father during a Draconis Combine raid by way of an injury suffered during that same raid that prevents him from having any (more) children.

He hates the Draconis Combine more than he loves power; but he loves power a whole lot. While Skye vs. DC contracts are probably on the up-and-up, Duke Lestrade would have absolutely no qualms about suiciding you into the Combine if he thought your deaths would hurt the combine more than they'd hurt his power base.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Contract D both for the Aurigans and the Special Surprise Inside!

I hope its a pair of 3D glasses.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd like to see our HBS Aurigan friends again, so voting D

I'd be just as happy with C, too, never a bad time to go beat the stuffing out of some snakes.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm gonna bet that the surprise in D is multiple Taurian nukes on population centers, it's about the only one they know.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

He hates the Draconis Combine more than he loves power; but he loves power a whole lot. While Skye vs. DC contracts are probably on the up-and-up, Duke Lestrade would have absolutely no qualms about suiciding you into the Combine if he thought your deaths would hurt the combine more than they'd hurt his power base.

Given that C is a liaison, personally I'd make a priority of finding out how much Lestrade likes the liaison officer (or the officer's parents). :v:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So, not the Kuritans as a mercenary. No way, no how.

Eesh. I think I'd vote C as the best of a bad bunch. Let's not run out to the Periphery just yet. I don't think we're that hard up on cash (or reputation).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the clarifications. Throwing in a vote for C then.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The current leader of Skye is Duke Aldo Lestrade IV, a rapist and kinslayer respected noble, who suffered a case of acute karmic justice for murdering his father during a Draconis Combine raid by way of an injury suffered during that same raid that prevents him from having any (more) children.

Aldo is also very mad that his cousin Grethar Lestrade, who is the current Duke of Skye, adopted a child to succeed him rather than name Aldo his heir. Grethar's still alive at this time so Aldo is a little less secure in his position than he is after 3022, when Grethar dies in a car crash and suddenly there's nobody to oppose Aldo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

D

The Aurigancrats!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like the aurigan reach but B sounds like some wild fun.

Be champions

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i dont think we really need to be worried about how the houses are going to treat us just yet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

i dont think we really need to be worried about how the houses are going to treat us just yet

-merc about to get trashed by the combine

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The big downside to C that I'm seeing is it's a planetary raid. Means you're going to have minimal support and your techs are going to be tossing ropes over tree branches to hoist your mechs up for repair

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Voting for C because it sounds like a fun place to get stuck in; and the pay isn't so bad, the risk sounds like it should be manageable. A sounds like a disaster, B sounds like a fun disaster, and D sounds great but also involves babysitting.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

-merc about to get trashed by the combine

surely the gm isnt going to screw us over like that in the second contract... right...?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Second contract is the second most common place for a merc company to end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Space Kablooey posted:

Mercs in BattleTech live and die by their reputations. The Great Houses do take notice of random companies of BattleMechs wandering around the galaxy, and tend to determine whether they're an asset or a threat. Most mercenary companies go under in five years or less, either by going broke or by getting permanently hired by a House or other power group.

So far, Sterling and Sable have done good work for the Free Worlds League in an independent command.

Pros and Cons for each contract in this goon's armchair analysis:

Contract A - Undermined

Draconis Combine, Planetary Defense, Liaison, fighting Federated Suns and Combine rebels

Pros: Best pay and if you want to get in Kurita's good books, this is probably the best possible scenario for mercenaries. Good chance at getting good salvage, the AFFS tend to be well equipped.

Cons: Kurita's generally not a great House to butter up for mercenaries (this is the land of the moustache helicopters), they will likely make the company earn prizes the hard way, and this will be a black mark in Davion's books (which may transfer to Steiner's if this campaign lasts long enough).

Contract B - Blood and Circuses

Illyrian Palatinate, Tournament, Independent, fighting ???

Pros: A mystery box in both prizes and opponents. Anyone could turn up and be impressed.

Cons: A mystery box in both prizes and opponents. Anyone could turn up and be pissed off.

Contract C - Cold Reception

Federation of Skye, Planetary Raid, Liaison, fighting Draconis Combine

Pros: Impresses a part of the wealthiest Successor State, which may or may not transfer to the Commonwealth at large, good mix of rewards, theoretically likely the most impressive if goons pull it off.

Cons: Higher than normal chance of the client pulling a fast one, will anger the Combine, probably the lowest odds of getting quality salvage

Contract D - Boot Camp

Aurigan Coalition, Training, House command, ?non-lethal exercises?

Pros: Good chance of being the safest option, strong possibility of good salvage that might even be LosTech

Cons: Highly subject to the whims and fuckery of a minor Periphery state, might not get any good salvage, has 'trap' written all over it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The real pro to working for Kurita is getting all of Steiner's sweet sweet Flashmans

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I mean I get it, but I'm just not that convinced that, at this point, it would be worth it for the bigger powers to gently caress us over for no reason (other than using us as fodder, which contract A is all about). I think for now we're just too unknown to have someone higher up to gun for us.

.Maybe I'm mixing up my settings, but isn't there a merc board that oversees merc contracts so either party doesn't get screwed over?

I'll defer to you guys, but i think for now it's a little too much 5D chess to worry too much about those things

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Mercenary Review Board. It's basically just a ComStar run binding arbitration committee that rules against the big houses about as often as the real world versions rule against their controlling corporations.

It's biggest benefit is the prisoner exchange and bonding services so a properly registered company can get pows back.

And obviously if you get your mrb rating up you can get juicier contracts, but don't expect it to save you if Davion decides that sacrificing your company is in it's best interest

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy
The choices here all look pretty interesting!

I'm going to throw a vote to A though. It has the highest pay, it's likely to have a decent selection of salvage, good chance of support likely to have better facilities for repairs than C.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Azhais posted:

Flashmans

:getin:

Love me some Flashmans

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'm torn between C and D for all the reasons everyone has already posted.

I want to go D because of the HBS connection, but it's obviously a trap and "House" command means the trap could really backfire. Scintilla, does house command extends to the unit's BattleMechs even if this is an entirely virtual training contract?

C sounds like the financially best choice of not too audacious. However, do we own our own DS? Like, if we're raiding behind the lines, what's the extraction plan?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

surely the gm isnt going to screw us over like that in the second contract... right...?

Honestly, we're still at the stage where the company can collapse pretty quickly without me pulling any shenanigans. Once the company gets properly established, though...

Amechwarrior posted:

I want to go D because of the HBS connection, but it's obviously a trap and "House" command means the trap could really backfire. Scintilla, does house command extends to the unit's BattleMechs even if this is an entirely virtual training contract?

Yes, but the only reason that would matter is if something happened that required the company to physically deploy its mechs...

Amechwarrior posted:

C sounds like the financially best choice of not too audacious. However, do we own our own DS? Like, if we're raiding behind the lines, what's the extraction plan?

The Lyrans will provide a DropShip. The plan is to land in a concealed location and use the ship as the company's base of operations. The liaison will also be on-world with you.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 25, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I would have mad respect for the twist on the training mission being that everything goes right for once and no real assets ever need to get deployed.

Not sure exactly how the liaisons operate, but in menu item C the liaison is going to be Lyran, which might mean a better chance of him or her having some real hardware and being an asset instead of just an rear end.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
D

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

aniviron posted:

Not sure exactly how the liaisons operate, but in menu item C the liaison is going to be Lyran, which might mean a better chance of him or her having some real hardware and being an asset instead of just an rear end.

Using the 2028 Steiner list from my copy of the Random Assignment and Rarity Tables, the most likely medium Mech picks would be:
  • VL-2T Vulcan
  • BJ-1 Blackjack
  • PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk (statistically most likely model)
  • HBK-4G/4H/4N/4P/4J Hunchback
  • SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
  • WVR-6R Wolverine
  • DV-6M Dervish
  • TBT-5S/5N Trebuchet
  • GRF-1S/N Griffin (statistically most likely chassis)

I doubt we're getting a light or heavy Mech assignment with the liaison officer.

I'd be fine with any of the assignments above aside from the Vulcan and Blackjack.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta go with C. The Lyrans have their issues, but they're by far the least likely to screw us over. Though once we're done I'd advise against accepting any suspiciously enticing contracts from the Dracs.

I'm no expert on mercenary relations in Battletech, but isn't it generally a good idea to not poo poo where you eat? i.e. don't take contracts that will pit you against your most recent employer, and avoid job offers from the people you were just shooting at.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

From what I remember of the fluff, it isn't unheard of for some of the factions to be perfectly happy to hire "enemy" mercenaries once a contract's up. If you fought well enough against them to notice, surely you'll be an asset! More importantly, the enemy won't have your services now.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gnoman posted:

From what I remember of the fluff, it isn't unheard of for some of the factions to be perfectly happy to hire "enemy" mercenaries once a contract's up. If you fought well enough against them to notice, surely you'll be an asset! More importantly, the enemy won't have your services now.

This exact thing happens in Mech Commander 2. You spend the first third of the game smashing the Capellans and their various cats-paws, leaving them so depleted the Mandrissa is forced to hire you once your contract with House Steiner runs out. The first mission briefing is pretty funny, with the Mandrissa wryly noting that she doesn't need to see your resume since she's witnessed your competence firsthand.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
D. We are well equipped and prepared to run a training programme. Should be a nice breather after the Prowlers.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

C is the financially sound choice. So my vote is for D because I want to see where this goes. 50% BLC and it's the perfect place to let the new pilots integrate in a low intensity environment. Than and a mystery box prize at the end intrigues me. It could be anything, even a boat!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

C is the financially sound choice. So my vote is for D because I want to see where this goes. 50% BLC and it's the perfect place to let the new pilots integrate in a low intensity environment. Than and a mystery box prize at the end intrigues me. It could be anything, even a boat!

I'll agree with this. I approve of contract d!

Why play optimal when you can play fun?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright, so it looks like Cold Reception and Boot Camp have opened up a pretty decisive lead, so I'll say a little bit more about them.

Contract C, aka Cold Reception, is a planetary raid. The pay and salvage rights are pretty generous, but there are caveats. The company will be cut off from external supply lines once the DropShip lands, and will have to conduct repairs in the vessel's transport bays rather than a proper repair facility. This will negatively impact repair rolls, and means that replacement parts cannot be shipped in easily. I may allow a single resupply run halfway through the contract, but don't take that as a given. On the flipside, the Lyran liaison is a hands-on kind of gentleman who is perfectly willing to suit up and join the fray directly if the need arises.

Contract D, aka Boot Camp, is a training / garrison mission. This is a fairly safe contract; battles will be simulated and/or conducted so that no actual battle damage or pilot injuries are sustained for the most part. The OpFor will be the same for each mission, but will gain skills and special abilities as the battles progress (ie a 5/6 pilot becoming a 4/5 pilot). Maquis Decimis's expedition is targeting the El Empecinado, a derelict SLDF Overlord-class DropShip that was crippled over Panzyr II during the Reunification War. The debris surrounding the vessel has now thinned enough to make a salvage run possible, and the excursion will take place roughly halfway through the contract.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

On the flipside, the Lyran liaison is a hands-on kind of gentleman who is perfectly willing to suit up and join the fray directly if the need arises.

But what's the Liaison officer's rank?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

D

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

But what's the Liaison officer's rank?

He is Hauptmann Heinrich Stanier of the Fourth Skye Rangers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i can imagine the "contract" for mission B is a pamphlet/tv ad that one of the Yeoung twins stumbled upon one day and told Jenna :v:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 25, 2023