Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's honestly very telling that some of my favorite lines from 03 come from the dynamic between Splinter as the father of four teenagers and April as their new semi-mom/older sister.

Off the top of my head there's like three:

(Boys are eating very messily)
April: So... one would think that table manners would be on the training regiment?
Splinter: (tone of "believe me, I tried") One would think.

(Mikey just let out a mondo burp)
April: EUGH!
Splinter: This is what I live with all the time.

April: (good naturedly but still pointedly) I feel like I just went from 'happily single' to 'mother of four' overnight.
Splinter: Tell me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot I never thought about that dynamic, but it makes sense. Especially with the 80s Turtles being more of a comedy troupe- the show is remembered for its goofiness in comparison to later versions, but it figures that it was actually pretty good at it.

Also interesting that things like April being more of a peer and a potential love interest, and Splinter being an outright adoptive father, are later additions. The found family dynamic is a lot more interesting from a lot of angles, and can see why they wanted to play down the only initial female character being immediately assigned to a den mother role. That said, having a generation gap between them is an interesting angle I feel like they could do more with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd forgotten TMNT 2003 just kind of goes for it. Just opens up with the Mousers tearing up their hideout and it almost feels like it expects you to sort of know about the Turtles beforehand?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot I never thought about that dynamic, but it makes sense. Especially with the 80s Turtles being more of a comedy troupe- the show is remembered for its goofiness in comparison to later versions, but it figures that it was actually pretty good at it.

Also interesting that things like April being more of a peer and a potential love interest, and Splinter being an outright adoptive father, are later additions. The found family dynamic is a lot more interesting from a lot of angles, and can see why they wanted to play down the only initial female character being immediately assigned to a den mother role. That said, having a generation gap between them is an interesting angle I feel like they could do more with.

All the same though, the 80’s Turtles weren’t total idiots (something Turtles Forever and to an extent, the 2012 crossover kind of unfairly portrayed them as). Also despite the show’s weird obsession with damseling her April still was pretty competent a lot of the time.

Having rewatched it recently (also the first two seasons were recently added to Paramount+) some aspects of the OG show still hold up surprisingly well

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

I'd forgotten TMNT 2003 just kind of goes for it. Just opens up with the Mousers tearing up their hideout and it almost feels like it expects you to sort of know about the Turtles beforehand?

Look, that's what they have an expository theme song for.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think we had this discussion before. Teen Titans was the same way, it might have been the style at the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A bit of hte style at the time and a bit of "you probably know the baseline pitch for the TMNT" since the latest show (the awful live action one) was only like five years ago and I assume the toys kept going.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The baseline pitch is right in the title. They are teenage, mutant, ninjas and turtles. Where you go with that is up to you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

The baseline pitch is right in the title. They are teenage, mutant, ninjas and turtles. Where you go with that is up to you.
A group of teenage ninjas with superpowers who are heavily focused on defense in rts games

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh man, Episode 9 of MAWS was that good Studio MIR poo poo. Beautiful.

It'd be cool if Kryptonians were like straight up Saiyans and part of Clark arc is saying gently caress you to his biological dad, which I keep wanting because they're shifting Goku to having an appreciation to Bardock which sucks, but I think We're heading into Braniac having taken over Krypton's tech, the destruction of the planet maybe being something done by Clark's dad to prevent an universal invasion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Which is probably why the concept is so robust and enduring.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

All the same though, the 80’s Turtles weren’t total idiots (something Turtles Forever and to an extent, the 2012 crossover kind of unfairly portrayed them as). Also despite the show’s weird obsession with damseling her April still was pretty competent a lot of the time.

Having rewatched it recently (also the first two seasons were recently added to Paramount+) some aspects of the OG show still hold up surprisingly well

Yeah I think what really struck me is that even though they’re partly vehicles for comedy, it’s not the same comedy all the time. They have different dynamics and quirks to play off of. Turtles Forever really doesn’t understand that nuance.

Reached the first appearance of Casey Jones, who I didn’t expect to be so completely unhinged. Raph still has some fondness for the guy, but there’s a real sense that Casey has to be kept on a short leash to keep him from completely ruining their lives. It’s still nice to see the Turtles have outside friends in newer versions, but the early wild card aspect of his character is really appreciated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If I remember right I believe '87 is also the only show where April and Casey never meet (in fact I think the latter is only in about 2-3 episodes total), aside from Next Mutation where they just don't exist despite it allegedly taking place in the OG live action movie universe

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how I've only just now heard the news about this whole classic Cartoon Network block being at 5 now, but like... has CN just given the gently caress up now or what? I know cable in general is dying and of course the new management hates you and everything you stand for isn't really big on animation but like, drat. I remember hearing about the initial announcement but I figured Adult Swim would just like, cut out a couple of their Fox reruns, not gut the channel.

Also I know now in the age of DVRs actual schedules mean nothing but I also saw that the new Tiny Toons show is coming out at 9 AM which means that literally no actual child will see it unless they're out of school sick or something lol.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TwoPair posted:

I don't know how I've only just now heard the news about this whole classic Cartoon Network block being at 5 now, but like... has CN just given the gently caress up now or what? I know cable in general is dying and of course the new management hates you and everything you stand for isn't really big on animation but like, drat. I remember hearing about the initial announcement but I figured Adult Swim would just like, cut out a couple of their Fox reruns, not gut the channel.

Also I know now in the age of DVRs actual schedules mean nothing but I also saw that the new Tiny Toons show is coming out at 9 AM which means that literally no actual child will see it unless they're out of school sick or something lol.

The new management seems to believe that animation is either ADULT COMEDY or BABY SHOWS. My guess here is that anything that would have otherwise been all-ages is most likely going to be shoved into the BABY SHOWS time slots when older kids are at school and when adults at home need something to distract the baby while doing other stuff, whether it makes demographic sense or not.
CN is now folded into Warner Animation completely, with Adult Swim being given a 2nd chance of being somewhat separate as an identity.

come to think of it, the new Tiny Toons was likely commissioned and approved by the old regime, so Zaslav and co likely don't have much love or attachment to it, and would be willing to just burn off the episodes in that time slot to fulfill some kind of contractural obligation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Warner, is that new Batman cartoon they mentioned a little while back still happening?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also good Superman this week, seems like so fair they’re painting the Kryptonians as the baddies in this series which makes me curious how they’re ultimately going to handle Brainiac.

Nice to see Lois’s dad isn’t a total rear end in a top hat and I hope he gets to interact with his daughter at some point

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also good Superman this week, seems like so fair they’re painting the Kryptonians as the baddies in this series which makes me curious how they’re ultimately going to handle Brainiac.

Nice to see Lois’s dad isn’t a total rear end in a top hat and I hope he gets to interact with his daughter at some point

Brainiac is gonna be the Frieza to the Kryptonian Saiyans

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Makes sense

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

You see Brainiac, you're not dealing with the average Kryptonian...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Warner, is that new Batman cartoon they mentioned a little while back still happening?

Prime picked it up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Prime picked it up.

Ah, right. Seems we still don’t have a release date for Caped Crusader yet though aside from “end of 2023”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 26, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I'm assuming that they'll go with the STAS version of Brainiac who's an evil Kryptonian supercomputer that hijacked and destroyed their civilisation. He killed Clark's old family, and now he's coming for his new one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm assuming that they'll go with the STAS version of Brainiac who's an evil Kryptonian supercomputer that hijacked and destroyed their civilisation. He killed Clark's old family, and now he's coming for his new one.

Oh yeah, I forgot Brainiac being created on Krypton was purely an invention of the Bruce Timm show (though I also wouldn’t be surprised if they went with a similar origin here)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 26, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Larryb posted:

Yeah General Lane, while a dude carrying a lot of baggage, can see around that baggage. He probably wishes he couldn’t though.

Waller is…well. She’s Waller. :shepface:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MorningMoon posted:

Oh man, Episode 9 of MAWS was that good Studio MIR poo poo. Beautiful.

It'd be cool if Kryptonians were like straight up Saiyans and part of Clark arc is saying gently caress you to his biological dad, which I keep wanting because they're shifting Goku to having an appreciation to Bardock which sucks, but I think We're heading into Braniac having taken over Krypton's tech, the destruction of the planet maybe being something done by Clark's dad to prevent an universal invasion.

Seems like they might be setting up Brainiac as the BBEG (at least for now), so that looks cool. Seriously, I'm really happy that they're going this route instead of having Lex Luthor be the 24/7 archnemesis of Superman. I admit, I'd have much preferred General Zod as the main nemesis, but eh, that's just me.

Larryb posted:

Same here! I do hope he meets Clark as an in-law :unsmigghh: Nice to see Waller being Waller as well- despite my earlier opinion on Lex being a tired archnemesis, I do like Amanda Waller doing CADMUS stuff. I also hope we get to see more of Livewire- I found her meh at best in the original Superman animated series, but this incarnation kicks all kinds of rear end, and basically started off this whole mess, after all. It'd be a waste if she didn't become more of a major character.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

related to the current turtles discussion:

have you guys ever come across a show that definitely existed around the time you were a kid but somehow missed it? i used to be an extremely religious T.V. watcher as a kid and i was confident that i came across pretty much anything that was remotely animated that existed on network T.V. in the 90s and yet...somehow, i didn't know about the existence of the Red Sky TMNT episodes until several years after they came out. i'm not saying i discovered them at some point into adulthood or something (like that weird Avengers cartoon from the 90s). no i was still a kid but i somehow missed the initial run. i watched a handful of episodes back in the day but i didn't discover them until like 97/98. that's around the time i thought they were released(specifically because it was after the first power rangers movie). but no! apparently they were aired as far back as 1994! it's made all the weirder considering it being TMNT they didn't put it in some lovely, pre-5 AM time slot or anything like that either.

just wanted to rant on that a bit

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mr Interweb posted:

have you guys ever come across a show that definitely existed around the time you were a kid but somehow missed it? i used to be an extremely religious T.V. watcher as a kid and i was confident that i came across pretty much anything that was remotely animated that existed on network T.V. in the 90s and yet...somehow, i didn't know about the existence of the Red Sky TMNT episodes until several years after they came out. i'm not saying i discovered them at some point into adulthood or something (like that weird Avengers cartoon from the 90s). no i was still a kid but i somehow missed the initial run. i watched a handful of episodes back in the day but i didn't discover them until like 97/98. that's around the time i thought they were released(specifically because it was after the first power rangers movie). but no! apparently they were aired as far back as 1994! it's made all the weirder considering it being TMNT they didn't put it in some lovely, pre-5 AM time slot or anything like that either.

Back in the OL' DAYS syndication and broadcast was much more at the discretion of local channels, so there are tons of cartoons that were just shuffled around and flat-out unseen by pockets of the country.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah when seasonal changes like the Red Sky Turtles you mention are accompanied by station and/or timeslot changes then it's easy to lose track of things. These weren't even cable shows, they were on whatever your local channels were. The last episode of Roughnecks The Starship Troopers Chronicles that millions of kids watched was the end of the jungle planet arc where the main character appears to die because that's when the BKN syndication package lost half of the channels carrying it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Later seasons of cartoons are also very often barely aired and dumped forgotten while earlier seasons get rerun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the evil Kryptonian idea, let me just place this here: "Jor-El was an average warrior, but a BRILLIANT scientist!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Assepoester posted:

Yeah when seasonal changes like the Red Sky Turtles you mention are accompanied by station and/or timeslot changes then it's easy to lose track of things. These weren't even cable shows, they were on whatever your local channels were. The last episode of Roughnecks The Starship Troopers Chronicles that millions of kids watched was the end of the jungle planet arc where the main character appears to die because that's when the BKN syndication package lost half of the channels carrying it.

Yeah, I'm not sure the Red Sky stuff was ever broadcast around here. I didn't find out about it until much later and thought the 2003 TMNT special was completely in the right to make such fun of the original cartoon because I wasn't even aware the Red Sky stuff existed which, amusingly, is itself closer in tone to the 2003 series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure the Red Sky stuff was ever broadcast around here. I didn't find out about it until much later and thought the 2003 TMNT special was completely in the right to make such fun of the original cartoon because I wasn't even aware the Red Sky stuff existed which, amusingly, is itself closer in tone to the 2003 series.
Well sorta, there's more continuity and the new main villain is an alien

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

On the evil Kryptonian idea, let me just place this here: "Jor-El was an average scientist, but a BRILLIANT warrior!"

Fixed that for you

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In MAWS, I assume that was General Zod? I got the impression that the hardware was all powered from Krypton, and the planet exploded at the moment Earth was about to be invaded, so it all just died. I’d love to know more about the arrival of the, uh, Arrival-esque obelisks, that was truly alien and a great visual. Did they travel all the way to Earth through space, a necessary end point for the portal? Maybe it was a different multiverse version of Kal-El? How much did it match up with Lois’s sphere hologram? Was Earth about to be invaded by Krypton from another dimension?? Tune in next time, flamers! :tinfoil:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assepoester posted:

Well sorta, there's more continuity and the new main villain is an alien

Also April finally ditched the yellow jumpsuit for something more sensible for a reporter to wear. It even gave the show an ending (of sorts anyway)

Speaking of, it’s kind of a pity Renae Jacobs didn’t really seem to do a whole lot of note career wise other than TMNT and a guest appearance in the 2012 series (her last role appears to be a documentary from 2020)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 26, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm like that with TMNT in general. I don't know how I missed them because I was certainly aware of who the Turtles were, hell I even had a toy of some old vehicle of theirs that shot pizzas, but the only episodes I ever watched were a collection of 2 or 3 that my cousin had on VHS. After that the most interaction I had was the episode of Power Rangers In Space where they showed up where again, I thought they were neat, but not enough to sell me on actually watching their show (which I hear was ultimately a dodged bullet as no one likes talking about the Next Mutation).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Next Mutation had a few fun villains but that’s about the best I can say regarding that show

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, poking around a little, it sounds like the later seasons were on a separate syndication deal from the rest of the show, so whether or not you saw them would be entirely dependent on your local stations.

Later on, a lot of shows would be more closely tied to a specific network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Larryb posted:

Next Mutation had a few fun villains but that’s about the best I can say regarding that show

Yeah, I have a friend who watched it (they are braver than I ever could be) and the one thing they remembered liking is a bit where Splinter has a friendship with a blind guy who he plays chess with, which I thought was a neat idea (and someone else probably did because I'm 85% sure that was the inspiration behind Murakami, the blind chef from the CGI show).