Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Ruggan posted:

can you just link the thread? thanks

SAD thread got goldmined, twist starts here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4040032&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post534109738

quick summary post here if you're not a covid thread sicko and you don't want to piece everything together:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039477&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=77#post534111968

tldr: poster who got perma'd four years ago from a previous climate thread, for building a pipebomb and posting about doing an imminent ecoterrorism, turned out to be an e-buddy of the owner of this website, was let back on, and just pulled some different but equally hosed up poo poo in an attempt to get the covid thread shut down. cherry on top is that poster referenced their previous climate thread persona (as though it was a separate person) as an example of how doomthreads can turn people crazy.

i actually feel like the last few iterations of this thread have been pretty good about not having outright psychoposting (anime villain monologue posting is another story). but it's nice to have confirmation that "the goon who wanted to pipebomb cows" from thread lore was possibly (likely) completely astroturfed in an attempt to get the thread shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hosed up snipe if you ask me. no derail! no derail!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm not supporting murdering cows by any means, but I can't get over how dumb it is that despite all the weapons out there that can kill ungulates from a safe distance, she somehow fixated on the idea of pipe bombs. I guess it's following the footsteps of the goon who tried to blow up a Gamecube by rupturing a propane tank and posted "AT HOSTPITAL LOST FINGAT POST MOTE LATER"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
l4d pipebomb and all the cows rush towards it and explode in a ragdoll gore explosion

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What kind of dumbass "ecoterrorist" focuses on killing a cow and not an oil ceo?

That's some plainclothes cop howdoyoudofellowterrorists.jpeg type of bullshit.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah this thread got way better when it got an IK, that guy really cleaned the place up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Xaris posted:

i say: consume it all.

no drop left unconsumed

Working on it boss!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Homeless Friend posted:

l4d pipebomb and all the cows rush towards it and explode in a ragdoll gore explosion
no it’s a dodongo situation, you just place a pipebomb in the cow’s path and it’ll gobble it right up

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

The Demilich posted:

What kind of dumbass "ecoterrorist" focuses on killing a cow and not an oil ceo?

That's some plainclothes cop howdoyoudofellowterrorists.jpeg type of bullshit.

one that builds a pipe bomb for "cows" i guess

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

pretty cool that they could come back on this website

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mola Yam posted:

ok, 1,000 won't do it. how about 5,000? what if they're whiter?? don't tell me it's gonna take 10,000 before someone does something.

Well basically the world cares about addressing climate change like the US cares about addressing mass shootings.
So like, probably it's gonna take a lot :shrug:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

uh oh!

Tropical rainforests could get too hot for photosynthesis and die if climate crisis continues, scientists warn

quote:

The average critical temperature beyond which photosynthetic machinery in tropical trees begins to fail is 116 degrees Fahrenheit (46.7 degrees Celsius). Currently, only 0.01 % of all leaves surpass this critical temperature every year. But scientists warn that air temperature rises of 7.2 F (4 C) could push trees in tropical forests beyond a tipping point and into mass death.

"It's concerning from our perspective that you see nonlinear trends. So you heat the air by, let's say, 2, 3 degrees Celsius [3.6 to 5.4 F], and the actual upper temperature of these leaves goes up by 8 degrees [Celsius; 14.4 F],"

Plugging these peak temperatures into a mathematical model, the scientists found that an average 7 F (3.9 C) increase in the air temperature surrounding the leaves caused those most exposed to the heat to have their water-carrying stomata closed off by the tree, leading to their deaths. This triggered a cascade effect, increasing the temperature around the remaining leaves and potentially killing them, their branches and the trees in turn.

"If you have 10% of the leaves dying, the whole branch is going to be warmer because a critical part of that branch can no longer cool the broader branch. Likewise you can make that assumption across the whole forest when a tree dies," Doughty said.

Yet in spite of their findings, the scientists are optimistic that humanity has enough time to curb emissions and avoid potential tipping points in tropical forests.

"This is a glimpse into a potential tipping point. It is not saying that the tropical forests are now going to be savannas tomorrow," Fisher said. "If you think about human health, you want to know if you're sick or have cancer so you can deal with it before it takes over."

I’m optimistic too, I’m confident we’ll chop down all the rainforest before this becomes an issue :waycool:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The 3D printer post was funny and in retrospect an op

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4040032&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post534109738

quick summary post here if you're not a covid thread sicko and you don't want to piece everything together:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039477&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=77#post534111968

tldr: poster who got perma'd four years ago from a previous climate thread, for building a pipebomb and posting about doing an imminent ecoterrorism, turned out to be an e-buddy of the owner of this website, was let back on, and just pulled some different but equally hosed up poo poo in an attempt to get the covid thread shut down. cherry on top is that poster referenced their previous climate thread persona (as though it was a separate person) as an example of how doomthreads can turn people crazy.

i actually feel like the last few iterations of this thread have been pretty good about not having outright psychoposting (anime villain monologue posting is another story). but it's nice to have confirmation that "the goon who wanted to pipebomb cows" from thread lore was possibly (likely) completely astroturfed in an attempt to get the thread shut down.

lol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I want to clear up one thing that sounds wrong just so everyone knows and then I'm going to let this lie. Jeff said he liked boba but also that boba got in on the general amnesty and the Jeff wasn't specifically aware of false flag stuff.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

starkebn posted:

The great work continues, if boiling the ocean doesn't work...

They're called BlackRock because that's their end goal for the Earth.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
My policy is to assume Jeff isn't specifically aware of anything and that the psycho who has been permabanned twice was posting in bad faith

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

cool thanks for the policy update

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Stereotype posted:

so they just released the list of missing people and it's only 388, so if none are ever found that would mean only 500 died in the fires.
so it was just a bunch of doomers saying thousand were dead

see?????

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
exactly. when the mass heat deaths really ramp up it'll probably only be hundreds of millions dead not billions. checkmate, doomers

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dokapon Findom posted:

My policy is to assume Jeff isn't specifically aware of anything and that the psycho who has been permabanned twice was posting in bad faith

My policy is to assume people who try to ingratiate themselves with mods and admins on forums/discords/etc and then turn around and go on internet crusades are doing it solely for the clout.

I don’t even know where one would go to even encounter Jeff, but if you go to that effort you’re probably not just looking for posting pals.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

exactly. when the mass heat deaths really ramp up it'll probably only be hundreds of millions dead not billions. checkmate, doomers

Humanity will survive doomer :smug:
A million or so huddled around the arctic circle in 2100 is >0 so it has survived.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

skooma512 posted:

My policy is to assume people who try to ingratiate themselves with mods and admins on forums/discords/etc and then turn around and go on internet crusades are doing it solely for the clout.

I don’t even know where one would go to even encounter Jeff, but if you go to that effort you’re probably not just looking for posting pals.
:hai:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

have we tried solving the climate crisis by teaching economists to look two quarters into the future instead of one?

It does rock that a fundamental rule of economics is that the future matters less than the present. It will never make economic sense to save the future at the cost of present day profits.

Sorry the time value of money says that it’s better to destroy the world now for profits than to save it, numbers don’t lie!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
plus i'll be dead by then so who cares

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/insanerealvideo/status/1691460737393459200?s=20

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1691627120466804960?s=20

Come on people. Now is the time for healing.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1695109925461008426?s=20

Healing over. Now is the time to save number.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

won't somebody think of all those small international resorts

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

we wouldn't want to have to financially support disaster victims. think of the precedent

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I need to pay $5,000 to a mega resort corporation real quick so that the $5 in taxes goes to the relief effort

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
the current incarnation of helldump is boring but the pageantry of the regular posters there is funny in small doses. only the most normal of posters obsessively hound the mods about their posting enemies you see. the helldump 1.0 crew would have eaten these guys alive.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Exactly. The objective is to escalate the process to a point such that we go straight from living in our hydrocarbon fuelled hedonistic Utopia to dying in a hydrocarbon fuelled wildfire without any gap in between to lament our hubris. No need to feel uncomfortable or culpable.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this kind of platform will get you elected to any public office

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

Jesus christ lmao

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Looking back at the 2019 thread, it's impressive how many Permabanned users posted in there :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Just a Moron posted:

Looking back at the 2019 thread, it's impressive how many Permabanned users posted in there :allears:

this is true for any cspam thread

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
was turt really 4 years ago?
feels like a whole different epoch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Just a Moron posted:

turt being like if you really believe what this thread believes you gotta throw bombs. as every regular from that era sits on their asses making indecipherable memes about bdell and graphs or whatever lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

OIL PANIC posted:

was turt really 4 years ago?
feels like a whole different epoch

In 2019, we weren't sure whether or not humanity could solve a collective action problem with an extremely easy solution. Now we know, and we're still facing a collective action problem in the form of climate change where all the solutions are difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

turt being like if you really believe what this thread believes you gotta throw bombs. as every regular from that era sits on their asses making indecipherable memes about bdell and graphs or whatever lol

Survivorship bias. You would perma anybody who did or suggested anything more cool than that. :v: