Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My Bosch dishwasher is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

calbruc posted:

Any opinions on dishwashers?
I used to have a 2014 model Whirlpool and didn't like it very much. It didn't clean things well. Eventually it started growing some "harmless" pink mold that wouldn't go away. Eventually the motor gave out.

I replaced it with an LG in early 2022. That was the height of the chip shortage/supply chain issues so only the Korean brands (LG, Samsung) actually had units available for purchase. Bosch was a year out. As it turns out though it's a quite good unit and I'm rather happy with it.

Somewhat notably the LG does not have a heat element for drying (I don't know how common this is across brands) so it relies on using rinse aid. But a bottle of Jet Dry lasts like a year or something and only needs to be filled every couple of months. On the plus side, it's safe to put plastics anywhere in the dishwasher (not just top rack) and it fits a lot of stuff.

Later I also bought an LG refrigerator which I'm also very happy with.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigHead posted:

Wait, what? Vegan cabbage is just cabbage. More specifically, vegan fermented cabbage is just cabbage. Put whatever flavoring you want in with the fermented cabbage.

The question is whether there are any commercially available vegan fermented cabbages, which I guess might use fish sauce or shrimp paste or something, but that question broke my brain for a second. I have no idea the answer to your question it was just funny. Like asking if there are any vegan carrot sticks. Or gluten free steak.

Go find yourself some radish kimchi. I don't know if it's always and forever better than cabbage kimchi but sometimes it's the bomb dot com

i have a Bosch dishwasher and it's great. Any issues I have are undoubtedly user error.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
literally the two people above in this thread are the only times ive ever heard someone criticize bosch dishwashers :confused: i have a whirlpool and its fine idk its the first new one ive ever bought for myself i only have all the rental beaters i experienced over the years to compare it to

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I replaced it with an LG in early 2022. That was the height of the chip shortage/supply chain issues so only the Korean brands (LG, Samsung) actually had units available for purchase. Bosch was a year out. As it turns out though it's a quite good unit and I'm rather happy with it.

Somewhat notably the LG does not have a heat element for drying (I don't know how common this is across brands) so it relies on using rinse aid. But a bottle of Jet Dry lasts like a year or something and only needs to be filled every couple of months. On the plus side, it's safe to put plastics anywhere in the dishwasher (not just top rack) and it fits a lot of stuff.

I bought my LG earlier this year because of the combination of "it was on sale at church" and "Bosch still had ridiculous wait times" to replace the Kitchenaid the PO put in maybe three years earlier. The Kitchenaid was some super fancy model but it loving sucked at actually cleaning dishes.

The LG? Cleanest dishes I've ever seen. The ones at Costco all have heated dry as far as I can tell.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a camelcamelcamel but for Costco.com? I'm realizing some skin caviar product my wife wants was once $100 off and I'm curious how often that happens.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Hed posted:

Is there a camelcamelcamel but for Costco.com? I'm realizing some skin caviar product my wife wants was once $100 off and I'm curious how often that happens.

I mocked up this application in 2020, was going to name it skipthesamples.com tracking the seasonal/cyclical sales of Costco items. Was in the process of finding out how to crawl the costco site/if api's were available for price checks and found some other site that did exactly this and threw it in the garbage. Now I can't find which site did it!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

calbruc posted:

Any opinions on dishwashers? Our old and loud Frigidaire won't let me press start anymore, could possibly fix for under $200 or just finally buy a new one.

Got an eye on this Whirlpool one right now https://www.costco.com/whirlpool-to...ID=android7.5.3

We have the stainless steel Kitchenaid and it slaps pretty hard. It also seems to be $400 off right now:

https://www.costco.com/kitchenaid-hidden-control-dishwasher-with-freeflex-third-level-rack-and-led-interior-lighting.product.100573172.html

The controls are hidden on a panel on top of the front panel, and it slides into the top part, so you can't see the controls. That makes the look super clean, and it's really quiet. I'm also impressed with how clean it gets the dishes. Just feels premium too, especially the handle, which is a super heavy steel rod with cnc etching to make it grippy.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 25, 2023

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

(Looks at blue bag in freezer.) Is it? Really? Whyfore?

wild caught- much more tender and taste slightly less like a vietnamese cesspool

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I've heard Samsung appliances are absolute garbage now from friends, family, and I think this thread.

How is LG? We're starting to look for a new washer and dryer and wanted to take advantage of the Labor Day sales at Costco

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
we have a samdung washer and dryer. they stink !

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

My Bosch dishwasher is amazing

yeah I just got one and it's fuckin' sweet. makes zero noise, everything comes out cleaner than when I bought it from the store, and it even opens the loving door when it's done so the dishes get dry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thathonkey posted:

literally the two people above in this thread are the only times ive ever heard someone criticize bosch dishwashers :confused: i have a whirlpool and its fine idk its the first new one ive ever bought for myself i only have all the rental beaters i experienced over the years to compare it to

It washes poo poo fine I just can’t stand the placement of poo poo in there. I definitely cant load as much as the previous whirlpool one because of the layout.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jisforjosh posted:

I've heard Samsung appliances are absolute garbage now from friends, family, and I think this thread.

How is LG? We're starting to look for a new washer and dryer and wanted to take advantage of the Labor Day sales at Costco

IIRC Consumer Reports tell you to avoid both Samsung & LG because they tend to break a lot

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

schreibs posted:

I mocked up this application in 2020, was going to name it skipthesamples.com tracking the seasonal/cyclical sales of Costco items. Was in the process of finding out how to crawl the costco site/if api's were available for price checks and found some other site that did exactly this and threw it in the garbage. Now I can't find which site did it!

Nice and good name. I'll keep looking. If you find out what it is please post.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

david_a posted:

IIRC Consumer Reports tell you to avoid both Samsung & LG because they tend to break a lot

I started digging during one of the appliance sales, the consensus was to stick with the traditional brands for appliances, maytag, GE, whirlpool etc.

Samsung seems to suck across the board, especially the fridges, LG seemed hit or miss depending on the model but I don't need loving wifi on my dryer or a camera in the fridge

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
We had a Samsung dishwasher that we got for $100 brand new (only perk of working at Lowe's) it wasn't even worth that, absolute trash. Never buy Samsung appliances. Also Samsung by far had the most returns/claims of all brands of appliances just terrible all around.

Bought a Bosch dishwasher and I'll never buy a different brand dishwasher again.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I love my Fisher and Paykel dishwasher, but I get that the drawer style doesn't work for everyone. And you can't get it at Costco, so maybe I should just not mention it...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone see these in their warehouse? Im tempted...

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

they have the taste and texture of dock scrapings i like the brand that comes in the little paper boat

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

they have the taste and texture of dock scrapings

So you're saying I'll like them

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Got the Fly By Jing crisp and it's pretty underwhelming. I added an entire spoon of crisp and oil to my bibigo instant rice mixed with the Sukhi cococut chicken curry and there was barely any noticeable spice. Zindrews was like 10x stronger.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I like the tiny crunchy fish as a sometimes treat, dipped in a tiny bit of hot sauce. I got those tiny crunchy crabs once and they were practically candied, with a sweet coating that held some sesame seeds to the carapace. Did not enjoy them.

My wife calls the tiny crunchy fish "cat treats."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i like my cat treats mixed in with other snacks like this bad boy

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Oh god, you guys were right, these crabs are awful lol. Instant regret

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh god, you guys were right, these crabs are awful lol. Instant regret

Thanks, I'll try them out

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

dont do it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Its pretty rare for me to just straight up hate a food. I was okay with those old airplane meals they used to give out back in the day. I'll order uni at a sushi place and enjoy it. I like durian.

I hate these crabs.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its pretty rare for me to just straight up hate a food. I was okay with those old airplane meals they used to give out back in the day. I'll order uni at a sushi place and enjoy it. I like durian.

I hate these crabs.

The crabs hate you.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do it. My husband loves those. They're crunchy and seafoody, which if that's your jam and you can get through the squeamishness of eating a whole crab, they're delicious.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

strawberry soft serve is good but it's made ordering very confusing. you have the vanilla cup, vanilla chocolate sundae, vanilla strawberry sundae, strawberry cup, strawberry sundae with strawberry, strawberry twist, and strawberry twist with strawberry. Not advertised because we don't have space for it but we will do it if you ask are strawberry sundae with chocolate, and strawberry twist with chocolate. it's a lot and we have to make bulk batches of it by mixing vanilla ice cream with strawberry concentrate, but i like strawberry stuff so it's worth it imo

also lmao at there being christmas stuff on the floor already. it's too hot out for me to even think about such things!!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shredder posted:

yeah I just got one and it's fuckin' sweet. makes zero noise, everything comes out cleaner than when I bought it from the store, and it even opens the loving door when it's done so the dishes get dry.

I legit thought ours was broken it was so silent

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

BigHead posted:

Do it. My husband loves those. They're crunchy and seafoody, which if that's your jam and you can get through the squeamishness of eating a whole crab, they're delicious.

i love all things seafood these crabs and opihi are the only things off the top of my head i hate

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

david_a posted:

Shredder posted:

I started digging during one of the appliance sales, the consensus was to stick with the traditional brands for appliances, maytag, GE, whirlpool etc.

Samsung seems to suck across the board, especially the fridges, LG seemed hit or miss depending on the model but I don't need loving wifi on my dryer or a camera in the fridge

Looks like Consumer Reports rates the LG Washer/Dryer that Costco has on sale relatively highly for it's price range (looking to spent below $1500 for the pair)

https://www.costco.com/lg-4.5-cu.-f...4000151166.html

Edit: nvm Costco's terrible website strikes again. On the search results listing the washer/dryer pair shows in stock and available for delivery for my zip code but going to the actual product page shows it Out of Stock

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 25, 2023

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

wild caught- much more tender and taste slightly less like a vietnamese cesspool

Ahh, good to know. Thanks. I ain't cracked this bag open yet. I s'pose I could return and exchange for the red bag.
Then again, I just finished a previous blue bag and didn't notice... cesspool... flavors, and I'm lazy so maybe I'll just get it next time.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ahh, good to know. Thanks. I ain't cracked this bag open yet. I s'pose I could return and exchange for the red bag.
Then again, I just finished a previous blue bag and didn't notice... cesspool... flavors, and I'm lazy so maybe I'll just get it next time.

They are fine. That particular parishioner claimed earlier in the thread that all things at Costco suck so your mileage may vary.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Oh, hahah, that was them.
I just don't track who is saying what these days. Just taking folks at their word, trusting that we are all equal in the eyes of the 'co.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i didnt say the blue bag was bad. blue bag is farm raised (in cesspools). ive been eating frozen shrimp and salmon from costco every week for years. most things at costco suck confirmed for pariah.

The Saucer Hovers fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 25, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Save the ocean eat sustainably farmed shramps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

This is my favorite thread. I like food a lot and I like good deals. The pontification on potential purchases, the hand-rubbing over good buys, the food court, the neat blue icon/handle on the thread, the steaks on pg170 - keeps me coming back

edit: those crab snacks at least gotta have a lot of calcium. Prob would be good ground up and fed as nutrient for crops. Next grow I do I'm grinding crab carapace for amendment

My Dad Nintendo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 26, 2023