Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
PromotedTweet
https://twitter.com/Cap3Collective/status/1694731186461954193?t=Nb_7A9sm9ituAeMKKCDoGA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I don't understand how we can have someone who can't handle their own legal affairs but can somehow hold one of the highest offices in the land

It's either elder abuse or extreme narcissism on her part that she isn't out, maybe both

Who knows how long her staff have been leading her around behind the scenes before things became too bad to hide publicly

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's ok we could have voted for *check notes* Kevin de Leon :stonklol:

Great democracy

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

and elder being arrogant or conceited either in their past or in their present lucid moments doesn't make it not elder abuse, which it unquestionably is

even if she's coherent enough to actively want to hold onto power, it's the responsibility of her next of kin to prevent her continued abuse of herself

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Gorson posted:

"The continued strength of the economy"

:wtc:

Powell has been spouting this bullshit for YEARS now and it's only gotten worse since The Powers That Be have all collectively agreed to gaslight the American public into thinking Unemployment levels have gone down/Wages have been going up:v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

A group of unelected rich technocrats gather at a luxury resort every year to decide how to poke at the economy to make it shed workers and raise prices even more than usual.

:thunk: seems like an oligarchy

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There is so much money at the top and those people and companies are doing extremely well

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's cool to remember that Jay was appointed by Trump

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is 100% to weaken labor now, inflation is fine at the current level.

What inflation are you talking about

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

He is determined to make as many people possible unemployed

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

He is determined to make as many people possible unemployed

I’m doing my part to help the economy :patriot:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RandolphCarter posted:

I’m doing my part to help the economy :patriot:

Don't work too hard. We need you on your rear end in this trying time.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Karach posted:

This is extra dumb because most of the specialty breeds, while nice to look at, produce fewer eggs, sometimes 50% less than a regular white leghorn.

Chicken broker to computer-touching eugenicists. I missed my calling.

computer touchers are the worst loving people, pol pot had the right idea about professionals (stalin too). beep boop optimize computer, consume resource, more for me none for the non-optimals everybody who posts on hn should be in a database so we can put them in camps when the time comes.

gently caress LIBERALS

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Rexicon1 posted:

No matter the topic, there’s always some Filipino billionaire who thinks it’s ok to cane employees who don’t smile enough.

can somebody recommend some books on leftist asymmetric warfare (victories, best practices, head-from-body separation techniques, etc)?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

NGL it feels like the anti-union apparatus was not prepared for this massive wave of strikes and unionization.

it’s been getting stronger since covid hit . inflation has really ranked material conditions as well

people are not having a good time working

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Karach posted:

Because now we can close libraries, since Boston Pizza is fulfilling the exact same civic role.

im amazed liberals havent tried to get private contractors to take over library operations, seems like a very shitlib thing to do, lots of fees and corner-cutting to implement

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

There's a huge series of social history books about class in America, the title escapes me at the moment but I'll dig around. It goes into incredible detail about every element of daily life, so what different classes wore, how they spoke, what they ate, where they spent time, year by year. Really interesting stuff.

Something that always seemed really interesting to me is that in practical terms, America has as much class stratification as, say the UK. The difference is that African Americans as a perpetual racial Other and economic underclass eclipsed this in the public imagination. So, Americans think about segregation of public spaces in purely racial terms, but these class divisions among whites have always existed as well. The American working and middle class had, I don't want to say false solidarity with the upper class, but because they were still white, they did not really focus on their experience of class. The exception to this was the American Northeast before the Great Migration where American Americans were not there to idk if diffuse is the right word, sublimate this class conflict? Of course in the cities of the northeast, immigrants served the same purpose, with Irish, Italians and Jews excluded from public spaces, while the American working class, middle class and upper class still did not mix otherwise.

So, to bring this back to Applebees, the classes still aren't mixing there, they're dining in small groups. It's not like America has beer halls with benches or whatever, it's still an atomized consumer experience.

Idk, I suppose this was a lot of words to say that Americans belief that they live in a classless society seems mostly to be the result of living in a racist one, and in no way do chain restaurants resolve these contradictions.

title of these books MLORD?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Consolidated Ed posted:

can somebody recommend some books on leftist asymmetric warfare (victories, best practices, head-from-body separation techniques, etc)?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Please do not discuss how to actually kill people IRL here, thanks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Please do not discuss how to actually kill people IRL here, thanks.
i'm gunna discuss how to do it. just build this

simple as

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

We can put advertisements on the blade. Revolutionary struggle with American characteristics.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gonna be hard with no dimensions on that plan

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

i'm gunna discuss how to do it. just build this

simple as

That giant blade is gonna be cost prohibitive, the original is a classic for a reason

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
why 15 people, that's such an odd number. why not ten? imagine trying to organize and track that.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
modular guillotines that combine into a bigger one if there is need to voltron any of these bitches

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

That giant blade is gonna be cost prohibitive, the original is a classic for a reason

The angle on the blade is also much shallower, meaning the people on the far end would suffer -- which goes against Dr. Guillotin's original design intent.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ken Starr's son ordered the attorneys for Southwest Air to take religious-sensitivity training led by a Christian advocacy group as part of judgment to force the airline to rehire a flight attendant who'd been fired for posting anti-abortion stuff on her personal facebook:

quote:

Southwest Airlines said it plans to appeal a federal judge’s order that requires “training on religious freedom” for three of its lawyers, according to a statement shared with The Hill.

U.S. District Judge Brantley Starr, a Trump appointee, on Monday ordered the Southwest attorneys to undergo training by the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), a Christian conservative legal advocacy group.

The judge wrote in a 29-page ruling that ADF “has conducted such training in the past, and the Court deems that appropriate here.”

ADF has argued numerous cases seeking to bolster religious protections across the country while also pushing back on LGBTQ and abortion rights. The group describes itself on its website as the world’s largest organization dedicated to protecting religious freedom.

The sanctions order follows a previous ruling in which Starr ordered Southwest to reinstate Charlene Carter, a flight attendant fired in 2017 for posting on social media about abortion. A jury issued a verdict against the airline and her union last year, finding it discriminated against her over her anti-abortion stance.

The judge wrote Monday that the airline was ordered “to inform Southwest flight attendants that, under Title VII, [Southwest] may not discriminate against Southwest flight attendants for their religious practices and beliefs.’ Instead, Southwest’s notice said, ‘[t]he court … ordered us to inform you that Southwest does not discriminate against our Employees for their religious practices and beliefs.'”

“Southwest’s notice failed to mention Title VII, that the federal law known as Title VII contains a prohibition, and that that prohibition forbids Southwest from discriminating against flight attendants for their religious beliefs. Instead, Southwest’s notice communicated that there’s nothing to see here—aside from the Court’s bequeathing Southwest a badge of honor for not discriminating (which the Court did not do),” he added.

The judge ordered the training to be completed by Aug. 28, and he told Southwest to reissue language “verbatim” about the decision to its flight attendants and pay Carter’s legal fees.

“We plan to appeal the recent court order and are in the process of appealing the underlying judgment to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals,” Southwest said in a statement Wednesday.

The jury awarded Carter $5.1 million last year, but Starr in 2022 had cut the award to about $800,000 while ordering the airline to rehire the woman.

This is a good example of why censoring or criminalizing speech is a bad thing, even when ostensibly done for the right reasons, and can come back to bite butts.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah this is obviously making the engineering problem harder. we should take cues from Tesla here. instead of making one huge guillotine blade, just make 15 normal guillotine sized blades and assemble them together in parallel. much better economies of scale and yield this way

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
can’t we do bunk bed guillotine? one heavy rear end blade that goes through 20 necks in succession?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Gorson posted:

Statistically he won't survive the day.

that is not how life expectancy works, it doesn’t just drop to zero when you surpass the average life expectancy at birth

statistically biden could lose in 2024 and live long enough to run again in 2028, dying just before the 2032 election

hell, even kissinger still has 2 remaining years of life expectancy

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's either elder abuse or extreme narcissism on her part that she isn't out, maybe both

Who knows how long her staff have been leading her around behind the scenes before things became too bad to hide publicly

If she resigns, the Republicans have promised to refuse to approve any replacements on the Judiciary Committee, which means no more lib judges get appointed at all because the committee deadlocks.

They are gonna Weekend at Bernie’s her as long as they need to.

If you can think of a solution that doesn’t involve 1) voting or 2) electing more Democrat senators, feel free to post it ITT.

Explaining “why” something is happening is not the same as “endorsing” that thing happening.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
just hose off the guillotine between users it'll be fine

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What a blow! Kleenex pulling out of Canadian consumer market because of "unique complexities" such as people buying cheaper no-name poo poo.

*sniff*

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

eXXon posted:

What a blow! Kleenex pulling out of Canadian consumer market because of "unique complexities" such as people buying cheaper no-name poo poo.

*sniff*

ummmm maybe they could lower price instead...?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

If she resigns, the Republicans have promised to refuse to approve any replacements on the Judiciary Committee, which means no more lib judges get appointed at all because the committee deadlocks.

They are gonna Weekend at Bernie’s her as long as they need to.

If you can think of a solution that doesn’t involve 1) voting or 2) electing more Democrat senators, feel free to post it ITT.

Explaining “why” something is happening is not the same as “endorsing” that thing happening.

Source your quotes.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1695158799290585220?t=lqF1eF4SDIWTT9rtDlBgNA&s=19

2007 a regular year with nothing important happening afterwards

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Ken Starr's son ordered the attorneys for Southwest Air to take religious-sensitivity training led by a Christian advocacy group as part of judgment to force the airline to rehire a flight attendant who'd been fired for posting anti-abortion stuff on her personal facebook:

This is a good example of why censoring or criminalizing speech is a bad thing, even when ostensibly done for the right reasons, and can come back to bite butts.

She didn't get fired for stating her opinion on her own page, she got fired for sending multiple messages to coworkers and the Facebook page for the union (which she was not a member of, for 4 years she refused to pay dues) harassing other workers

quote:

On February 14, 2017, Plaintiff sent five private Facebook messages to Stone's "Audrey Stone Twu" account. Id. ¶ 46. First, at 11:22 a.m., she sent a message containing a video of an aborted fetus.Plaintiff wrote,

This is what you supported during your Paid Leave with others at the Women's MARCH in DC....You truly are Despicable in so many ways...by the way the RECALL is going to Happen and you are limited in the days you will be living off of all the [Southwest Airlines Flight Attendants]..cant wait to see you back on line. [sic]

quote:

Id. About an hour later, at 12:33 p.m., she sent another video of an aborted fetus and a message stating, "TWU-AFL-CIO and 556 are supporting this Murder ... [sic]." Id. At 1:00 p.m., Plaintiff then sent a third Facebook message containing a photo of women wearing hats depicting female genitalia. Id. Plaintiff's message stated,

Did you all dress up like this ...Wonder how this will be coded in the LM2 Financials...cause I know we paid for this along with your Despicable Party you hosted for signing the Contract....The RECALL [of the Local 556 Executive Board] is going to Happen we are even getting more signatures due to other [flight attendants] finding out what you guys do with our MONEY!!! Can't wait for you to have to be just a regular flight attendant again and not stealing from our DUES for things like this! [sic].

edit:drat phoneposting lol

text editor has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Aug 25, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

text editor posted:

She didn't get fired for stating her opinion on her own page, she got fired for sending multiple messages to coworkers and the Facebook page for the union (which she was not a member of, for 4 years she refused to pay dues) harassing other workers

sorry, this is incredibly important religious speech now

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, that does alter the spin. Still, lol at the lawyers who issued the nebulous statement.

In other news:

quote:

The owner of UK-based adult-content site OnlyFans reportedly paid himself $1.3 million in bonus money for every working day in 2022.

Leonid Radvinsky, the 41-year-old Ukrainian American owner and sole shareholder of the company, raked in roughly $336 million in dividends last year, according to financial statements filed by OnlyFans parent company Fenix International Limited.

The filing Thursday with the Companies House — which functions similarly to the US Securities Exchange Commission — shows Radvinsky’s nine-figure bonus equates to about $1.3 million for each of the 260 work days in 2022.

Radvinsky’s salary was not listed in the filing.

But the eye-watering payouts have brought Radvinsky’s net worth up to $2.1 billion, according to Forbes.

OnlyFans recorded $1.1 billion in revenue and $525 million in pre-tax profits last year as payments made through the platform hit $5.6 billion, marking gains across the board from earnings in 2021.

Its user base also more than doubled in the last year to 188 million.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

sorry, this is incredibly important religious speech now

It doesn't matter if it's important; it does matter if she had been fired for privately expressing her religious beliefs (she wasn't fired for that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Fired religious attendant posted:

]
Did you know this....Hmmmm seems a little counter productive don't you think....you are nothing but a SHEEP in Wolves Clothing or you are just so uneducated that you have not clue who or what you were marching for! Either way you should not be using our DUES to have Marched in this despicable show of TRASH! [sic]

lol given this context

quote:

While at Southwest, Plaintiff was represented exclusively by Local 556 for purposes of collective bargaining. Id. ¶ 12. However, Plaintiff resigned from membership in Local 556 on or about September 29, 2013, and exercised her RLA and First Amendment rights to object to paying the Union's compelled fees because of its political, ideological, and other non-bargaining spending. Id. ¶ 13. From September 29, 2013, until her termination, Plaintiff remained a nonmember objector. Id.

It's my god-given right to deluge members of a group I'm not supposed to be in and anything short of that is censorship!

poo poo, right-to-work laws should probably have worked for Southwest since she wasn't even union

https://casetext.com/case/carter-v-transp-workers-union-of-am-local