Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've had plenty of colonies where I have enough organs in storage to Ship of Theseus all my colonists five times over. But I also run "harvest organs post mortem."

But also lol at throwing away good money like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Drugs are extremely powerful in the short term, especially in the period before you get nice bonuses set up like dope bedrooms and red centers and heated baths

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a run where I used Questionable Ethics Enhanced to develop organs out of copious amounts of corn. It took a ton of labour to make the organic slurry and then like a quadrum for them to finish growing, but we sold only the finest vegan organs on the market. It's a touch ironic that the mod called "Questionable Ethics" was what let me run a cruelty free organ farm

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
When did drugs > illness get removed anyway? Before 1.0?

Dejawesp posted:

Okay I had 44 colonists. They weren't happy but they were all obedient.
I introduced them to social drugs which for a while kept them happy and obedient. Except the diseases just ravaged the whole place. liver, lung, cancers. Everyone was sick all the time.
So I decided to wane my whole colony off the drugs. I first waned them off beer because smokeleaf helps them cope with that.
Before drugs I had 44 obedient colonists.
I started waning 44 sick colonists.
After everyone was clean of alcohol dependence I had 28 colonists left.
I then treated everyone to get rid of all forms of cancer. After that I had 27 colonists.
I then started waning them off smokeleaf. When they were all clean I had 17 colonists left.
Drugs are bad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm pretty sure smokeleaf still causes cancer and yayo will definitely gently caress up your kidneys and brain after enough use, and it becomes very easy to wind up in that state once a pawn gets addicted. I don't know about beer, it's easy enough to avoid that addiction

Addicted pawns do become ill, sometimes super ill, if their addiction meter gets low.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember pawns would have their lungs and livers loving explode after a few days of social drugs, so I'm glad that got rebalanced.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
NB you can now totally reverse all that poo poo with vanilla cybernetics, except brain frying

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

NB you can now totally reverse all that poo poo with vanilla cybernetics, except brain frying

You can solve that too with some genes, very expensive drugs, or a vacation in the biosculptor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ugh, not sure what happened but now my level 16 crafter is exclusively churning out poor quality items on the hand tailor bench and I have no idea why. When he's using a crafting spot he was able to make stuff of the appropriate quality but since I built the tailor its been all in on 22 poor toques in a row.

anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? I think it might be a mod conflict but I haven't really added or changed anything recently and it seems to be exclusively affecting the tailoring bench.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zore posted:

Ugh, not sure what happened but now my level 16 crafter is exclusively churning out poor quality items on the hand tailor bench and I have no idea why. When he's using a crafting spot he was able to make stuff of the appropriate quality but since I built the tailor its been all in on 22 poor toques in a row.

anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? I think it might be a mod conflict but I haven't really added or changed anything recently and it seems to be exclusively affecting the tailoring bench.

iirc crafting quality is based solely on skill in the vanilla game. Are you running any mods that mess with crafting at all?

e: This youtuber used statistical analysis to observe that crafting quality only depends on skill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMOACTJtyrc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

QuarkJets posted:

iirc crafting quality is based solely on skill in the vanilla game. Are you running any mods that mess with crafting at all?

e: This youtuber used statistical analysis to observe that crafting quality only depends on skill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMOACTJtyrc

Not deliberately? And testing some more it is exclusive to the hand tailoring bench so clearly I have something loving with that.

I just have no idea what could be doing it. None of the mods I have should be touching it at all :psyduck:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zore posted:

What's their health tab look like? Did they get some brain scars in a fight or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

isndl posted:

What's their health tab look like? Did they get some brain scars in a fight or something?

Perfectly healthy and manipulation is at 100%.

Tailor bench is also inside in a room thats at 70 degrees and in a lit area.

EDIT:

I'm dumb and figured it out.

Its Research Reinvented, I technically don't have Complex Clothing yet so they're 'prototypes' which is locking them at poor quality

need to finish the research :negative:

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 24, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
drugs still do everything they did when deja was posting. the illnesses they inflict got nerfed quite a bit, though - it used to be that any visible tolerance (which started at 20%), would put you at risk for all of the drug's deleterious effects. nowadays that is more scaled, though the specifics depend on the drug. for smokeleaf, you can't get a carcinoma at all until 40% tolerance, and when you hit that, it starts out at 180 days MTTH. it maxes out at 135 days MTTH at 100% tolerance. asthma has similar MTTHs on it, but you need 50% tolerance to be at risk.

to compare, in 2017, any visible tolerance was 180 days MTTH for both. flat. so really, deja's old approach has gotten worse, not better, simply because extremely high tolerances like he cultivated routinely are punished further now.

part of the context that's also worth pointing out between then and now is just the average length of a game. i completed multiple games in about 5 years playing back in those early alphas - and the storytellers were very much getting big-feelings mad with you at around that time. nowadays, 5 years is mid-game.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty sure smokeleaf still causes cancer and yayo will definitely gently caress up your kidneys and brain after enough use, and it becomes very easy to wind up in that state once a pawn gets addicted. I don't know about beer, it's easy enough to avoid that addiction

Addicted pawns do become ill, sometimes super ill, if their addiction meter gets low.

alcohol eventually causes liver cirrhosis

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lmao @ losing 30 lives to the DTs and associated tantrums

Nowadays the way out of that scenario is to set up an ideo where pawns love filth and creulty, because the best drug is snniffff ideology

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LonsomeSon posted:

lmao @ losing 30 lives to the DTs and associated tantrums

Nowadays the way out of that scenario is to set up an ideo where pawns love filth and creulty, because the best drug is snniffff ideology

yeah i think im on page 6 of that saga so far. Anyway idk if im as brutal as this dude but I put the colony's kids in the VFE Vehicle framework tanks. I know i'm playing a mercenary faction but lmfao

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 24, 2023

CheaperThanTwitter
Jul 3, 2023

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

alcohol eventually causes liver cirrhosis

Instantly if a puppy gets some beer. Also lots of liver cancer.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dejawesp posted:

Okay I need to change gameplay. Having 20 skilled workers and then 60 conscripts just isn't stable in this game even if it is a very efficient way to do it.

I'm going to try and purge the force down to 16-ish workers and then 30 elite soldiers

I'm aim to purge

chem addicts
lazy/slothful (slow movers and slow workers)
brawlers
All soldiers with no passion for ranged weapons
All the old and injured colonists.

Then I'm going to train up medics. Instead of 4 very skilled doctors I'm going for 10 or so just decent medics. Their training will be just putting on and taking off peglegs on all the people I'm purging until the surgery kills them. That way I can purge them with a minimal mood penalty while also training doctors.

Wish me luck.

hahahah yesss hahahahahah

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dejawesp posted:

No no no that's a waste of good surgery practice and useful dead bodies.

I rebuilt my prison for the purpose.

If the green light is on then the resident gets to live for now.

And check out this guy:

He took a hit during a prison break and became a savant. I have spent several in game years trying to recruit him as my special project.

color coded death panels in space jail

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dejawesp posted:

When you incapacitate the last enemy the map becomes yours. Claim their houses, turn a bedroom into a prison. Bind their wounds until they stop bleeding and then move out. They even help you carry loot. I cut down a few trees and build a butchers bench to harvest the dead while my soldiers rest a bit after the raid.

Edit: Visual aid.

Time to leave.

Everyone accounted for.

And the harvest.

soylent green is people

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Maybe it's a good thing Dejawesp hasn't stopped by to see how Rimworld looks lately because he did seem excited by the idea of human children.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

:psyduck: That's like the most nihlistic run of rimworld ive seen. At least runs where you set out to be a horrible colony have intent behind them. That's like, callous indifference taken to its ultimate expression.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Drone_Fragger posted:

:psyduck: That's like, callous indifference taken to its ultimate expression.

I feel incredibly called out right now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

:psyduck: That's like the most nihlistic run of rimworld ive seen. At least runs where you set out to be a horrible colony have intent behind them. That's like, callous indifference taken to its ultimate expression.

Yeah who mods in figs as a food type? The gently caress

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
We've had the "war crimes" question a few times now. So how about the opposite. What are some of the nice things you do? Stuff like planting fruit trees along the paths in your base, so your pawns can have fresh fruit as part of their meals, as well as the sweet smell of fruit blossoms outdoors. Tell me about small things you do that make their lives better in little ways.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Everybody gets a 5x5 bedroom at minimum, upgrading to 7x7 with a 3x3 personal bathroom once we have the time and resources. Also every long term crafting station gets a comfy chair to sit on, you might be stuck inside making components day in and day out but at least you're not standing for it

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

We've had the "war crimes" question a few times now. So how about the opposite. What are some of the nice things you do? Stuff like planting fruit trees along the paths in your base, so your pawns can have fresh fruit as part of their meals, as well as the sweet smell of fruit blossoms outdoors. Tell me about small things you do that make their lives better in little ways.

I actually think someone in this thread had a screenshot that included a lovely little park. I've been including parks in all my builds lately, with picnic tables and bbqs and what not. It as a knock on affect of making me gentrify the neighboring areas so they look nice too, which generally leads to a midgame base spruce up. Those nice hedges from LTS Buildings, stone paths, tree planters and growing moss on walls. I even put down a marriage spot on a particularly lovely bit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

corn rain

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

like that seems like a flippant response but i genuinely mark my game calendar based on pre-corn rain and post-corn rain. there's a night and day difference between having 5 enemies and 2 neutrals vs 2 enemies and 5 full on allies. life is much more peaceful. the conflict that does come our way is more manageable. trade thrives, and we can get anything we want for crap that just grows up out of the ground. we can stop working so hard and rushing to every goddamn thing. there's time to take a three-hour lunch, talk, flirt, shoot a game of pool, and watch TV. we don't have to worry about sourcing something that takes a lot of time. we can just trade for it. just grow more or cotton and let the soil do the work. we can go churn out a dozen bad sculptures just to get one we're proud of, for no more reason than we have a flame in art, and it seems like a waste to not be at least skill 10. there's TIME after corn rain. and we don't have to hurt anyone to get it. quite the opposite, in fact.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Danaru posted:

Everybody gets a 5x5 bedroom at minimum, upgrading to 7x7 with a 3x3 personal bathroom once we have the time and resources. Also every long term crafting station gets a comfy chair to sit on, you might be stuck inside making components day in and day out but at least you're not standing for it

As a bonus, comfy chairs for your crafters is also mechanically optimal, so you get rewarded for being nice!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

corn rain

Question about this, does turning hostile factions into allies and trade partners increase the chance of mech/bug raids, seeing as you take potential faction raids off the event table?

On randy, of course.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Krowley posted:

Question about this, does turning hostile factions into allies and trade partners increase the chance of mech/bug raids, seeing as you take potential faction raids off the event table?

On randy, of course.

yes but it reduces the number of raids overall. randy actually takes this into account.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh poo poo, I've been avoiding peace talks because I thought raids would default to mechs if I made too many friends :shepface:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am unironically pretty hyped about bringing out space guillotines.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That looks sick as gently caress as long as it doesn't slaughter my framerate like Ancients did

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

Oh poo poo, I've been avoiding peace talks because I thought raids would default to mechs if I made too many friends :shepface:

i mean they do, but in Randy's case a raid is literally less likely with fewer enemies in play. he is more likely to choose a toxic fallout, volcanic winter, or other "bad thing" instead.

do note this is all to my understanding, of course, based on the limited code dives i've done and relating to experiences i've worked through with people over the years i've played this game. if someone has data to the contrary please for the love of god share it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have plenty of humans who hate me but I only get mech raids now. The only chance I have of getting human bodies for anything is raiding those various sites that have 30+ people in them cause thats what a site is and not what one would just call a settlement.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been disabling Mechs/Insects completely for my last few runs. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kris xK posted:

I've been disabling Mechs/Insects completely for my last few runs. :ssh:

that's what i'm doing the next game i start up. mechs at least. insects are controllable and can make for an interesting challenge and quirk depending on the situation. i literally cannot remember the last time i thought a mechanoid raid was interesting. they are just outlander unions with cheat codes.

it's a pity because full mechanoid clusters are actually kinda cool! but the raids themselves are just dumb.