Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Carbs robbed again.

That train is horrendous. This BL stuff is very full of garbo.

Would be better either without the wooden bridge or with hillsides to cap it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like the brick cross train station

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Junkenstein posted:

Bought a relatively new set, Central Perk, for cheap off Vinted and the clutch power (I believe that's the term) is about 75-80% for everything. Just wondering what can make that happen. I doubt it's something that's been played with a lot or rebuilt loads of times. Displayed right above a radiator or something?

I had the bonsai right in the window in sunlight for a while and while I suppose the windows have a UV filter it still got pretty warm and the pieces started to feel very loose. They did tighten back up though when I moved it elsewhere, or at least I think they did.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

yeah Brick Cross is pretty great

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It’s really nice, but I’m thinking $400 easily.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The mushroom house is rad. The others are pretty cool but not my cup of tea.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Jonas Kramm's mushroom house is amazing and some version of it is long overdue for production. It's adorable and full of super charming details. The build itself is very simple, so I hope nobody's holding out for any revolutionary tech, but the result is great. Some of the larger plant details look a bit fragile.

Logging Railway is a choice. Honestly, this build looks awful. Aside from the fact that you're doing the same thing 15x, look at this:

The SNOT bricks holding that black flex hose are only attached from the top? Why? Aligning the track looks annoying, too. I have other concerns, too, like what is stopping the logs from sliding forward and backward on their car? How is the train going to roll if the track is slightly misaligned, given how it's attached? Will that technique stand up to the weight of the train? I worry that this one may suffer a lot from a lack of IRL testing. We'll see!

I don't like the Ocean House at all. I think the colors are awful and muddled, the building is way too big for what it is, and the techniques used are really basic. That boat is straight out of the 90's. Everything except the windows is just stacked bricks, plates, and slopes. The watery base is extremely plain and just a massive stretch of nothing. This thing has an astounding 14x22 interior space and it's used for a small strip of kitchen, a table and 2 chairs, a chest, and a 2 x 4 bookshelf. Wild.

Brick Cross owns. I've spoken about this one before but I have little bad to say. A section that opens from the side is iffy for a modular building that connects from the side and it's quite parts hungry. The rest of it rocks. Much more sophisticated than Studgate. Another super worthy choice.

Ominous Isle? What the hell? I've looked thoroughly through every single submission to both series so far and I don't even remember seeing this one. More Pirate nostalgia bait. The build looks fine. Some proper SNOT rockwork is always nice to see, the foliage density is nice and I like the tree design, and there's a fun smattering of details. I like the care put into making sure everything can be traversed. Pretty efficient use of pieces, for the most part. I don't think the bridges and railings look good at all, and the big focal point is... okay. Bit of a mixed bag here. It's fine.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
It sucks that ideas that use fancy renderers and stuff usually win. I just hate that there's been an influx of CAD models that have made it through and the designers have not taken into account how it would actually build and if it would hold up if it was produced in the real world.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, but, Mushroom House.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

w00tazn posted:

It sucks that ideas that use fancy renderers and stuff usually win. I just hate that there's been an influx of CAD models that have made it through and the designers have not taken into account how it would actually build and if it would hold up if it was produced in the real world.
To be clear, this specific contest - the BDP - is designed around Studio. All submitted entries have to be in Studio. Jonas Kramm's entry, the physically brick built mushroom house, still had to be submitted as a Studio file. He just built his as well because he has a huge parts collection and could do so on short notice. Not being able to physically test build models will continue to be an issue in preliminary designs. More experienced builders can usually identify these issues before they're a problem, though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I love that the pun-packed departure board in Brick Cross has cancelled and late trains, very true to life of the British rail system

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Silly quick sketch because I'm just kinda in love with this game right now and I needed to get this out of my head:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
This Insider thing has been prety dissapointing. I don't care about the name rebrand, that's just marketing BS. The point system is a bit of a kick in the dick. I know I probably shouldn't complain about "free" points, but making a $10 set be worth the same as a $400 set is awful. You could at least have a sliding scale of 10-100 or something. And the number of sets that don't have a barcode is astounding. No polybags (which I have a lot of), no gwp, no holiday/theme sets, no brickheads (although I had one that worked), no sets seemingly under $10-15 have a qr code on them.

I'll take the free points for not much effort, but I guess it stands out when the company usually has an amazing reputation for thinking about their customers and going way above and beyond.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Pulled the trigger on Rivendell, got wonders of the world and houses of the world 3 as GWP

Now to contain my excitement because I know it won't be here until mid next week due to the UK bank holiday

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If anyone is looking to buy a Tallneck, I have one for sale... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040424

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which reminds me, the park meadows lego store (south side of Denver) had three tallnecks sitting on the shelf the other day.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If the Lego McLaren F1 wasn't your thing, you can get a worse brick set from a worse F1 team and pick up the offically-licensed CaDA Alfa Romeo F1
https://decadastore.com/products/cada-alfa-romeo-f1-team-orlen-c42-c64005w

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Boco_T posted:

If the Lego McLaren F1 wasn't your thing, you can get a worse brick set from a worse F1 team and pick up the offically-licensed CaDA Alfa Romeo F1
https://decadastore.com/products/cada-alfa-romeo-f1-team-orlen-c42-c64005w

This actually looks kinda good? at least it seems more accurate and has the right livery. Shame that it's like more of a hybrid model instead of a fully technic model tho.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ChesterJT posted:

This Insider thing has been prety dissapointing. I don't care about the name rebrand, that's just marketing BS. The point system is a bit of a kick in the dick. I know I probably shouldn't complain about "free" points, but making a $10 set be worth the same as a $400 set is awful.

But the part where you earn points based on how expensive the set is already exists. It's when you buy it, from Lego.com

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Updated my Bomb Rush Cyberfunk thing with some more stuff from the game:

Y'all, this game owns so hard. If you enjoyed Jet Set Radio / Future even a little bit, check it out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if anyone knows. I tried to go to the Lego store at Disney Springs a couple of weeks ago, and the line outside was huge. This seemed to be because they were only letting about 20 people inside at a time. It was roasting at the time, even in the evening (100°!) so I wasn’t going to stand waiting to get in and find out why they were limiting numbers so much. Any clues?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if anyone knows. I tried to go to the Lego store at Disney Springs a couple of weeks ago, and the line outside was huge. This seemed to be because they were only letting about 20 people inside at a time. It was roasting at the time, even in the evening (100°!) so I wasn’t going to stand waiting to get in and find out why they were limiting numbers so much. Any clues?

The Springs website has a warning at the top that indicates that the entire place has a capacity limit, and the recent Google reviews of the store confirm through text ("Try and get there early to avoid standing in line (especially in the heat)") and exhaustive pictures of the outside sculptures just absolutely mobbed with people in something like a line that the line thing has been happening since at least 2 months ago.

As a long-time local, Disney Springs shops have always had posted capacities but I've never seen them acknowledged. I used to see the big World of Disney store next door pack people in like they were the last lifeboat on the Titanic every summer for decades. Now that our absentee governor has declared war on the Mouse and taken over emergency services for the area it seems that doesn't happen anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was told to stay a healthy margin below the letter of the law to minimize chances of collateral damage.

I hate to say it and I hate even more that it might be the best viable path forward for the state, but Disney will almost certainly ensure that they own the next Governor so it's unlikely to continue past that point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Covid is spiking hardcore right now, so I'd expect to see more sporadic stuff like that. The Lego store in the mall by my house has always randomly had a line outside since everything reopened.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

The Springs website has a warning at the top that indicates that the entire place has a capacity limit, and the recent Google reviews of the store confirm through text ("Try and get there early to avoid standing in line (especially in the heat)") and exhaustive pictures of the outside sculptures just absolutely mobbed with people in something like a line that the line thing has been happening since at least 2 months ago.

As a long-time local, Disney Springs shops have always had posted capacities but I've never seen them acknowledged. I used to see the big World of Disney store next door pack people in like they were the last lifeboat on the Titanic every summer for decades..

Yeah, when I went back in May, it was business as usual with about ~200 people rammed in there like normal. I did wonder if they’d had people just walking out with things (something I could absolutely see happening there with the huge amount of people - walk in, take something off the shelf, put it in a Lego bag, calmly walk out again, smile at the staff member at the exit door)

Conversely, the WoD was busy-busy like I’d never seen. I think everyone was packed in there because it had AC and wasn’t outside, which I completely understand.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

And so it begins. So many 2x1 trans blue plates. Five bags in, we already have the first 'Roofing made from parts not normally meant for roofs' moment - The little ridge on the right side of the bakery is made of half books.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

City Markets? Looks great

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yup. There was one cool bit of modularity that wasn't used for the Ninjago City Gardens - you can actually lift the interiors of the buildings out for more playability.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I finished up bags 1 and 2 of the used PoBB that I got and drat, I'm already loving this set and I know there is so much left too! I'm building the wreck/island first.

Also, massive props to the seller for dismantling it and bagging it up step by step.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I highly recommend looking at that pirate port of Nassau MoC on rebrickable once you're done with the island build, you get a big port AND the complete ship alongside it, for the cost of PoBB and the modular bookstore

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Beasteh posted:

I highly recommend looking at that pirate port of Nassau MoC on rebrickable once you're done with the island build, you get a big port AND the complete ship alongside it, for the cost of PoBB and the modular bookstore

Going to buy the instructions for this once I finish the Police Station and turn it into a bookstore :twisted:

My Lego city already has a police station (60141) and the building is too good not to repurpose imo

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Beasteh posted:

Wow that's a freaking incredible MoC. I'll definitely keep this one in mind for the future!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Carbohydrates posted:

Updated my Bomb Rush Cyberfunk thing with some more stuff from the game:

Y'all, this game owns so hard. If you enjoyed Jet Set Radio / Future even a little bit, check it out.
As expected this is a cool and good build and i can only assume nobody is comenting on it because they followed your advice and are too busy ging all city rn.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Himeji Castle set was surprisingly enjoyable to build all the way through. I’ve gotten used to a certain amount of tedium in architecture sets but probably the worst part is putting the trees together in the final bag, which really wasn’t too bad. Also the end result is suitably impressive.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dogen posted:

The Himeji Castle set was surprisingly enjoyable to build all the way through. I’ve gotten used to a certain amount of tedium in architecture sets but probably the worst part is putting the trees together in the final bag, which really wasn’t too bad. Also the end result is suitably impressive.

How's the cladding color on yours? I've seen a bunch of reports on the dark tan being wildly different from brick to brick.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Personally it doesn’t bug me but it is noticeable

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dogen posted:

Personally it doesn’t bug me but it is noticeable

Oh, that's "whatever" territory. Thanks!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I know it's actually a manufacturing issue and all but I honestly think it makes it look better, lol. A great big hunk of monocolor can be a bit plain.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

I know it's actually a manufacturing issue and all but I honestly think it makes it look better, lol. A great big hunk of monocolor can be a bit plain.

i really wish it was a cobblestone print or something on the block

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Mr Phillby posted:

As expected this is a cool and good build and i can only assume nobody is comenting on it because they followed your advice and are too busy ging all city rn.
I'm sure you're right, and they just Can't Get Enuf of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like the new Winter Village comes out in Oct and is a Lodge. Looks like a return to the original ones.