Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Amused at somebody would buy a, quote, 'Adriana La F***ing Cerva' shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Third run through completed. I found myself counting down the minutes as the final episode progressed. I definitely enjoyed it the most this time around. I expected a sense of dread as the ending drew near but instead it was more like a sense of relief, and clarity.

The final season got off to a bit of a rocky start, but they definitely stuck the landing. For all the controversy over the ending, I think it would have been very difficult to improve upon it. The musical outros were such a big element of the show and its greatness, and in a way we sorta got that but I cant help but wonder what an alternate ending might look like, in the mold of the ones that came before it. But I mean what music do you pair with Tony slumped in the booth with his blood all over his family?

My only real gripe is Phil and Butch, I would have liked to see better villains (using that term very loosely of course). I find them more annoying than legit or intimidating. Especially seeing NY is supposed to be the real deal while Jersey just the glorified crew.

I dont understand how people watch reality TV where people are being awful, but its so fascinating watching fictional people be awful. AJs complete 180, and the way they pour it on with the M3, and his high school junior girlfriend. How old is he by the end of the show? He's gotta be old enough for it to be greasy for him to be seeing her.

Melfi's ending has been described as a wet fart but I dont see it. At long last she finally stops rationalizing and sees Tony for what he is. It took a long time but I'm proud of her for standing up and cutting him loose.

Its kind of unfortunate that Chase let that "death scene" remark slip, but especially now that its out there its hard to imagine any other outcome to that situation. One thing we still have left to debate, who ordered it?

We have a bunch of ducks that come right up to our house and we feed them through the kitchen window. They were here while I was watching the last episode but flew away partway through. Felt fitting.

Immediately after it was over I threw on the reunion interview that I'm sure you've all seen. Dominic's bit here always gets me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUFaSVPCRQ&t=2383s

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

codo27 posted:

Its kind of unfortunate that Chase let that "death scene" remark slip, but especially now that its out there its hard to imagine any other outcome to that situation. One thing we still have left to debate, who ordered it?

I think the funniest option is that there was a hit out on Tony from when Phil was still alive and through a combination of unfortunate coincidences and incompetence the hitman somehow never was informed that Phil was dead and the conflict was over.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still skeptical that he actually gets killed. I know that is the consensus, but everyone who would be a threat to Tony at that point is dead or in jail.

This is not to say that things are going to go well for Tony. The FBI is closing in on him as of the final episode and presumably sometime not long after the show ends he goes down like Johnny Sack did.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have always believed that he was shot in the head right at the cut to black. But yeah, if not, he faces huge legal jeopardy and likely finally goes down that way.

I think the most important idea of the ending is really that nobody has learned anything.

Carmela, even though nobody can say that she wasn’t told, is still the mob boss wife. The kids are either involved tangentially with mob-adjacent businesses, or sympathetic to Tony and what he does.

IMO Tony also has learned nothing from the experiences of the last eight years.

It may be reaching but I think this is in part the idea of the dialogue between AJ and Tony in the last scene. AJ references the final episode of season one, when they take refuge in Vesuvio during the storm and Tony tells them to “Always remember the good times.”

AJ reminds him of this, and Tony is like, “Did I say that?!”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: nm, awful idea

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 28, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He was very purposefully trying to build up that tension so that you think something is going to happen, but then nothing does.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the onion rings were disappointing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

I have always believed that he was shot in the head right at the cut to black. But yeah, if not, he faces huge legal jeopardy and likely finally goes down that way.

I think the most important idea of the ending is really that nobody has learned anything.

Carmela, even though nobody can say that she wasn’t told, is still the mob boss wife. The kids are either involved tangentially with mob-adjacent businesses, or sympathetic to Tony and what he does.

IMO Tony also has learned nothing from the experiences of the last eight years.

It may be reaching but I think this is in part the idea of the dialogue between AJ and Tony in the last scene. AJ references the final episode of season one, when they take refuge in Vesuvio during the storm and Tony tells them to “Always remember the good times.”

AJ reminds him of this, and Tony is like, “Did I say that?!”

I don't quite agree that nobody has learned anything. Tony and Carmela still suck, but Meadow and AJ are at least not going to be directly involved in mob life moving forward. Meadow may have a career and a bit of independence in a way that Carmela never did and AJ while being a huge gently caress up probably won't turn to organized crime to make a living.

It's incremental progress, but that's pretty realistic. We see it in real life all the time where a lot of kids end up becoming a little bit better people than their parents. But also flawed in their own ways.

<---- Charles Schwab ova here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I never got the impression that AJ would ever get into real crime. He's not built for that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never got the impression that AJ would ever get into real crime. He's not built for that.

What could he do? They had his DNA!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

What could he do? They had his DNA!
That whole scene was gold (as in pee)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Silvio reading "How to Clean Practically Anything: Third Edition (Featuring A Stain Removal Chart For All Fabrics)". :kiddo:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

codo27 posted:

Immediately after it was over I threw on the reunion interview that I'm sure you've all seen. Dominic's bit here always gets me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUFaSVPCRQ&t=2383s

It will never fail to weird me out how Edie Falco always looks so much younger to me than Carmela does.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Much is made about Jim's real accent compared to Tony's, but she sounds quite different as well irl

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

edit: wrong thread

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 29, 2023

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD6a6S81y10

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It will never fail to weird me out how Edie Falco always looks so much younger to me than Carmela does.

I feel like it's a mix of different hairstyle/clothing choices and the fact that she isn't embodying a character who's constantly disillusioned with life and instead... you know, just behaves like herself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The cut to Artie sobbing :discourse:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Finally finished the show. Hey....that was pretty good I'd say. Considering how long and how talked about the finale was....I did a pretty drat good job of insulating myself from spoilers. Huzzah to me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

this whole up in da club series is amazing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

this whole up in da club series is amazing

Artie's midlife crisis, much smaller and much less damaging overall than Tony's, was great.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a martina! it’s like a martini, but from albania. they go down really easy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Artie is kinda like what my uncle used to say, "thats another kind of sadness". With him being so pathetic but sometimes witty, he would almost have been in line to be the next Junior.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Artie is so lucky he didn’t get killed

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If he had his hair...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Artie is so lucky he didn’t get killed

Was Bennie made when Artie laid hands on him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Little Paulie? No.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that's why it started to get really out of control. If Artie wasn't Tony's best friend Benny could have done all the poo poo he was describing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think I’m confusing when Chris throws Little Paulie out of a window with Benny

But no I don’t think Benny was made

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm pretty sure Benny was made. Tony promises it to him when he's in the hospital after being beaten by Phil. And he has people working for him by season six.

EDIT: And Little Paulie wasn’t made, which is why everyone kept beating the poo poo out of him without consequence. It wasn’t until he was thrown out of a loving window that someone retaliated on his behalf.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 29, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well, you oughta know sweetie

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Why'd you try and top me? You took all the air out of my punchline, loving rear end in a top hat! :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

codo27 posted:

Artie is kinda like what my uncle used to say, "thats another kind of sadness". With him being so pathetic but sometimes witty, he would almost have been in line to be the next Junior.

dear god no

Artie had no sense of self-preservation and only got through the series alive by sheer luck

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And Charmaine

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had so many legit laugh out loud moments throughout this watch but Carmela's face after her conversation with Charmaine in the penultimate episode made me lose it

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 29, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

don't forget his warm and convivial personality

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You know better than New Jersey Zagat?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the one Bucco-esque hand gesture that really mystifies me, is the way he starts pretending to scribble with a pen above his head when Carmella brags about Meadow considering "constitutional law"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's his John Hancock impression.