Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

This is probably my favorite "Neo Zeong is Big" post.

In the the Transformers thread we joke about selling your house and living in Fortress Maximus

Well, I do, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Phy posted:

In the the Transformers thread we joke about selling your house and living in Fortress Maximus

Well, I do, anyway

drat, I thought my friend's Metroplex was big, but he's only about half as tall as that thing.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Transformers,

Moai Ou posted:

And painting up another 40-year old Kabaya Gum Transformers kit. the gum tastes like a basement

And after painting & widening every hole on this kit, it's done!

Using the Generation 2 version of Sideswipe as a guide,

this:

Becomes this:

With my G1 version for reference; basically an inversion of the color scheme.

Don't speak to me or my son ever again.

Gonna try to squeeze another one of these in for the month:

Gonna have to cut & sand a whole lightbar off the roof of the car for who I want to paint.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thank you everyone for the good/funny answers

love an always sunny reference

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

TaurusOxford posted:

Thor is complete.

Ok yeah time to stop procrastinating, for me. I've got that thing sitting in a box. Gonna practice more panel lining and get top coating experience through this Heavy Zowort and then more on to that beast. It must be built and be done justice.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I just want to pop in and say that my posts aren't backlogust entries, I can barely put those together anymore as is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cat Hatter posted:

drat, I thought my friend's Metroplex was big, but he's only about half as tall as that thing.

You don't live in Metroplex, you claim it as a dependent on your taxes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You don't live in Metroplex, you claim it as a dependent on your taxes.

"Don't talk to me or my walking city ever again"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Just because I have a never ending flow of questions: is there like, a substantial difference between the kits marketed as HGUC or whatever, and the ones that are just HG but are also kits from the UC series?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Just because I have a never ending flow of questions: is there like, a substantial difference between the kits marketed as HGUC or whatever, and the ones that are just HG but are also kits from the UC series?

Like the Origin and Thunderbolt lines, you mean?

The non HGUC tend to be a bit more detailed with more stickers, but they're basically similar.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Nuebot posted:

HGUC has been around so long, it doesn't really give a clue as to what's up. It could be as simple as the like the 14 part GM cold weather unit, all the way to the darn near real grade of the Moon gundam. Arms that are pegs on pegs, all the way to multi part shoulders and double acting elbows and triple jointed ankles. This kinda speaks to the whole HG line. Lots of HG kits aren't as good as say.. the EG RX-78-2. Many, are. It's a bit of a minefield.

Hopefully that link works... I got about 3/4 the way done with a MGSD Freedom tonight. I like it.. a lot.

Edit: Wow, what does my desk say. Gundam bits, 3d printed stuff, a laser pointer, digistump card, oshpark decal, a flower my kid made, and an esp32...

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

My first kit was a HGUC Guntank which is over 20 years old and is barely an improvement over really early kits and looks like a McDonalds toy out of the box. But that's because it's from 2001, not because it's HGUC. It might have put me off bothering with any more of the hobby if I hadn't also bought a modern HG kit (Beyond Global Grandpa), RG, and MG at the same time and hadn't been like 1250 yen or something.

Finished my Immediately Gets Stolen Twice Gundam last night. First time panel lining with pure black ink because god drat dark colours don't pop.

These might be the worst looking stickers I've seen, usually they're absolutely fine with enough care and pressure but the clear plastic on these is actually cloudy even with all the air bubbles removed. I'm not sure if it's the especially dark background, or just the age of the kit. Did they just print all of these for first production run in 2006 and have been keeping them in a warehouse to slap a batch into each reprint or what? I'd have thought if they use the same machines they're using for sticker sheets on modern kits then they might have benefitted from improvements in the plastic. Though it's entirely possible they're doing old patterns in aging machines. They're completely fine from shelf distance but, what's up with that?

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 24, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the bandai date on the front of the box the year the model was last messed with?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Went with a straight snap build with no extras. This was a really fun kit to build, lot's of nice engineering choices.

Next up: Not a Zaku.

The Gouf (still not a Zaku) is complete! This was a relatively quick build, had this waiting until I decided on my next kit. This kit also made me really think if I should start painting my kits, the colors are so-so by default. Panel lining this was fun.

Also note how much using a lightbox and decent lighting can make the kit pop vs just having it on my workspace lighted sloppily.

Decided that my next (probably final) backlogust project will be the Full Mechanics Aerial. I'd love to build more, but traveling for the next few days is cutting into building time. So Aerial it shall be.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is the bandai date on the front of the box the year the model was last messed with?

Front of the box is the year it was first released. They don't go back and revise old manuals with info like the Japan-only runner recycling scheme, and runners are stamped with the year they were first used (so for example the MG Titans Gundam Mk-II is mostly stamped 2005 because it's basically just the AEUG version from 2005 but in blue/black.) and the little circle dials tell you the month/year the individual runners were specifically manufactured. I'm not sure if they've ever gone back and revised a glaring error in a kit without it being a Version 2.0 or 1.5 years later?

Specific Design: 2006
Runner Design: 2005
Manufacture: December (Z) 00 (2002) + two triangles (10 each) = 2022.

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 24, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Pretty good sale going on now. Just got this text:

quote:

Mecha Warehouse: We need to reduce some of our inventory. Use INVRED30 for 30% off select items. Sale collection may change at any time.

https://pscrpt.io/6CRVWt

Also don't miss our latest pre-order and early-birds:

https://pscrpt.io/6CRVWz

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still a bit too rich for my current situation. One day...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

Still a bit too rich for my current situation. One day...

I, too, want gao gai gar. There's too much poo poo I want and not enough money to want it.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I was finally able to get that Crossbones Ver Ka, thanks for the heads up!

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Finished the Brady Hound. Love a grunt with a big shield

Next and maybe last is this lil guy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Kickstarter for the new Battlogue comic is live. No unique Gunpla, but you can get any of the regular Battlogue kits as addons for MSRP,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/gundam-battlogue

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

G-Witch kits build fast once again. I think I like the Pente more than the Michaelis, now I just need the Prologue one to get all three to compare. It's currently somewhere in shipping for me.

Another twin set coming up, HG F91 Vital Unit One and Two.

HG F91 Vital Unit set completed

You get a lot of weapons in this kit. The Beam Machine Gun in the right hand of Unit 1 is a special add-in and there's one for each. I don't think you can get the VSBRs positioned so you can have the hands hold them facing forward though. Nice engineering otherwise, the arm setup for the VSBRs is pretty cool.

Next Up is HG Lfrith Thorn.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Diet Poison posted:

Well I'm not starting this today but it's the last kit in my backlog.

#7: Heindree Sturm
Backlog finished!

Wouldn't mind seeing if I could power out a MG in the week we got left but the markup buying local is high enough that I ain't buying one unless I love it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

boz posted:

Oh hell yeah, gently caress em up Haro!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boz posted:

Finished the Brady Hound. Love a grunt with a big shield

I have that Haro! It is indeed a good Haro.

Yes; they're all good Haro's, but that one is particularly good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes; they're all good Haro's

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

Next up, the MG F91! This is the second to last kit in my backlog, and given my current employment status it's almost certainly the second to last kit I'll be working on this month

A pretty fun build, though I'm missing one of the v-fin halves and one of the yellow pieces on the side-skirt.

Next up, my final kit of Backlogust and the first HG I've built this month, though it's got the biggest box. Probably not saving the best for last here, but hopefully it'll be fun

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cerebulon posted:

Front of the box is the year it was first released. They don't go back and revise old manuals with info like the Japan-only runner recycling scheme, and runners are stamped with the year they were first used (so for example the MG Titans Gundam Mk-II is mostly stamped 2005 because it's basically just the AEUG version from 2005 but in blue/black.) and the little circle dials tell you the month/year the individual runners were specifically manufactured. I'm not sure if they've ever gone back and revised a glaring error in a kit without it being a Version 2.0 or 1.5 years later?

Specific Design: 2006
Runner Design: 2005
Manufacture: December (Z) 00 (2002) + two triangles (10 each) = 2022.

Thanks. Thats very informative! Looks all pretty clear now I know what to look for, except that manufacture date symbol cluster looks like a nightmare

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The Doan Island Guncannon is really neat, comes with both dual cannons and missile pods and poses really well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a good as hell guncannon

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats one hell of a knee joint

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Pierson posted:

The Doan Island Guncannon is really neat, comes with both dual cannons and missile pods and poses really well.
I saw a review of it after it came out and thought that this would be the first good guy suit I'll get. Very nice work on the paint btw!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

That looks tight as hell. Definitely need to get this one. Or maybe 3 and start actually working on that 16th Autonomous Corps squadron set I keep threatening to do. (G04, G05, and 3 Guncannons)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Cerebulon posted:

I'm not sure if they've ever gone back and revised a glaring error in a kit without it being a Version 2.0 or 1.5 years later?

Not a “glaring error” per se, but the MG Gelgoog tooling was revised after its initial pressing to add interior detail to the shoulder armor. I also seem to recall that the HGUC Zeta+ had some sort of major inaccuracy that was corrected after the first batch of kits.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tin Tim posted:

I saw a review of it after it came out and thought that this would be the first good guy suit I'll get. Very nice work on the paint btw!!
Haha thanks but it's almost completely unpainted! Just a few dabs of oil paint I put on with a toothpick and small brush to simulate wear and grease, and then a layer of matte topcoat over the whole thing. Nothing else. :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Pierson posted:

Haha thanks but it's almost completely unpainted! Just a few dabs of oil paint I put on with a toothpick and small brush to simulate wear and grease, and then a layer of matte topcoat over the whole thing. Nothing else. :)
Oh I assumed it was only weathering, lining and coating, but that still is painting :) I like the subtle and realistic look you achieved!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, seeing that I'm going to reserve one of my backlog kits to try a minimalist weathering job.

I'm guessing it's functionally dabbing and stippling the oil paints for the chipping, black, brown, and orange/rust washes for the grease/lining, then seal the whole bag?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I always thought that might be a good way to hide nub marks if you're not going for a full paint: conveniently located rust/oil spots. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of weathering but that Guncannon looks great; I think my problem is most people imo tend to overdo it. But that sort of restrained weathering looks great. Like it's been out in the field for a mission or two, not abandoned for a decade.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Is there a site that actually tracks what models Bandai has released over the years? I found a wiki, but it seems to be missing a lot, especially P-Bandai releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

Is there a site that actually tracks what models Bandai has released over the years? I found a wiki, but it seems to be missing a lot, especially P-Bandai releases.

Dalong (http://dalong.net/) may not have everything, but it's pretty close. P-Bandai stuff is under the "Club G" heading.