Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
What's worse is the habit the designers had of placing like 19 traps in an area when only 2 would have done. I'm assuming you don't NEED to disable all of them, but since you have no real way of telling which ones you need to remove to make the room safe, you sort of have to anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Splicer posted:

Passive checks don't have rolls. Your passive score is 10 + the appropriate ability score + proficiency (if applicable) + modifiers. If your passive score makes or exceeds the check then you Just Succeed, no rolls required. It only existed for a few things like perception and insight at release (same ones as 4E) but passive everything was a common houserule and I think became standard in... I want to say tashas?

In BG3, there are absolutely passive checks: if you walk near a trap there will be a die roll, a PERCEPTION: SUCCESS popup, the character will say "careful, this place is trapped", then Shadowheart will walk forward and explode

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In my case I get 4 fails and then have to decide if I'm going to move ahead anyways, go to camp and rotate out party members to see if their one time checks succeed or reload so I can try again. This isn't just a traps thing though, it sucks when no one passes any of the 6 different skills like arcana or religion and I just... don't get whatever tidbit or lore or whatever that game.

Actually there was a quest where you had to find an item that was in a pile of hay. We talked to a dead person who hid an item there and she said "My dowry is in the barn". My brother and I stood around the very obvious hay while our characters noted "Weird that the hay didn't burn, unlike everything else". We couldn't search it, attacking it did nothing. We looked up online and a guide said that we could ask the dead person where exactly it was hidden, but we didn't get that option at all. Thankfully after we rotated party members around one of them succeeded, but I'm guessing that if every party member failed the check we just... couldn't finish that quest.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

In my case I get 4 fails and then have to decide if I'm going to move ahead anyways, go to camp and rotate out party members to see if their one time checks succeed or reload so I can try again. This isn't just a traps thing though, it sucks when no one passes any of the 6 different skills like arcana or religion and I just... don't get whatever tidbit or lore or whatever that game.

Actually there was a quest where you had to find an item that was in a pile of hay. We talked to a dead person who hid an item there and she said "My dowry is in the barn". My brother and I stood around the very obvious hay while our characters noted "Weird that the hay didn't burn, unlike everything else". We couldn't search it, attacking it did nothing. We looked up online and a guide said that we could ask the dead person where exactly it was hidden, but we didn't get that option at all. Thankfully after we rotated party members around one of them succeeded, but I'm guessing that if every party member failed the check we just... couldn't finish that quest.

Sometimes with talk to the dead you have to ask them 2-3 followup questions and you might run out of questions before you finish.

Edit: further, I've had a few quest interactables be very hard to find even when using Alt to highlight them, sometimes you have to wander around to the area so you get line of sight on the interaction point

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Aug 25, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BG3 is a game where you just have to accept that you're not gonna see everything in a single playthrough. Sometimes you just fail that skill check and them's the breaks, either savescum relentessly or enjoy the ride.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evilreaver posted:

Sometimes with talk to the dead you have to ask them 2-3 followup questions and you might run out of questions before you finish.

Is this an Honor Along Thieves reference or an actual thing in the game? (Or both since the movie was good about using real D&D stuff)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lobok posted:

Is this an Honor Along Thieves reference or an actual thing in the game? (Or both since the movie was good about using real D&D stuff)

My understanding is that it is a canon dungeons & dragons thing

Edit: I do like how this somewhat punishes people who just go from the top of the list down asking dumb questions like who are you, how did you die, what's your occupation etc (when the answers are typically John Idiot, village idiot, and died when player character exploded them, respectively)

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Aug 25, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Pathfinder has 'taking 20' which is the one where if you have no penalty for failure, and therefore if you retry eventually someone will roll a 20, you shortcut to saying it takes 20x as long and skip the misery of rolling it all out (useful for searching etc).

Taking 10 is the one where you aren't threatened and can just do something by rote, and skip rolling to get an average job guaranteed in a normal timeframe.

Ahhh, okay. So Taking 20 would be going around the room to check/gather everything, while Take 10 is for the stuff that could fail if rolled low, so rather than risking failure you just aim for average. I'm guessing if used in the way I was describing, you could theoretically pass a DC 15 check on a Take 10 but if there was something gated behind a DC 20 breakpoint, you'd miss out on it while also not having to worry about penalties if you rolled a 3 or something. Thanks!

Splicer posted:

Also neither of these are "from" Pathfinder, they're from D&D 3e

I knew it was going to end up being something from D&D first, but I really don't have much experience with D&D outside of a very small amount of 3.5e early on and then 5e. So the only time it's ever really come up was Pathfinder. Makes sense though! Isn't Pathfinder 1e built on the framework of 3e or 3.5e?

Gerblyn posted:

If you're a Rogue, then you can take 10 whenever you roll less than 10 on a proficient skill. This unlocks at level 11 so I guess giving that to other classes by default in some way would screw rogues over quite a bit!

:psyduck: they made it Rogue thing? For 11th level? What?

I would've never seen it, either, because I'm just getting to Level 6 now but my Rogue is doing a 3 level dip into Ranger like a ton of other people.

Surely there must be some extra nuance to it or something

Reliable Talent posted:

When you make an Ability Check with a Skill you are Proficient with it, the lowest result you can roll on the die is 10.

Huh. I guess the idea is you can put this on and never fail a lower level lockpick/disarm trap/pickpocket Sleight of Hand check?

bawk has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Aug 25, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

Huh. I guess the idea is you can put this on and never fail a lower level lockpick/disarm trap/pickpocket Sleight of Hand check?

Pretty much! It does really cut down on save scumming and such, especially for speech checks which are harder yo retry without burning inspiration.

But yeah, I recently respecced to Assassin 7/Gloomstalker 5 and I don’t miss it much.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

Evilreaver posted:

My understanding is that it is a canon dungeons & dragons thing

Edit: I do like how this somewhat punishes people who just go from the top of the list down asking dumb questions like who are you, how did you die, what's your occupation etc (when the answers are typically John Idiot, village idiot, and died when player character exploded them, respectively)

It's the basis of the spell itself from D&D:

"You grant the semblance of life and intelligence to a corpse of your choice within range, allowing it to answer the questions you pose. The corpse must still have a mouth and can’t be undead. The spell fails if the corpse was the target of this spell within the last 10 days.
Until the spell ends, you can ask the corpse up to five questions. The corpse knows only what it knew in life, including the languages it knew. Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive, and the corpse is under no compulsion to offer a truthful answer if you are hostile to it or it recognizes you as an enemy. This spell doesn’t return the creature’s soul to its body, only its animating spirit. Thus, the corpse can’t learn new information, doesn’t comprehend anything that has happened since it died, and can’t speculate about future events."

Edit: Honor Among Thieves was clearly written by people who have played a lot of D&D with parties that have done a lot of dumb poo poo that made their DM groan, and it shows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love the way random stuff in D&D just casually implies e.g. that there's a difference between "soul" and "animating spirit" in the metaphysics of the universe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Honor Among Thieves was clearly written by people who have played a lot of D&D with parties that have done a lot of dumb poo poo that made their DM groan, and it shows.

The scene with the bridge "puzzle" proves that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I love the way random stuff in D&D just casually implies e.g. that there's a difference between "soul" and "animating spirit" in the metaphysics of the universe.
It's stuff like this that lets me know if I ever wake up to find out D&D's magic system existed IRL I would be one of those random skeletons you find in a study/library surrounded by the notes/scrawls/maddening scratchings of a man slowly going insane over how the Grease spell works, let alone what happens between when Revivify stops working and Speak With Dead starts. IRL me vs. That one book from one of the cellars in BG3? I'm hosed, fully dead/enthralled/etc.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Real talk, as an amateur game designer, world building like that is extremely fun. Finding different edge cases and weaving together systems of magic that work coherently and fluidly is extremely my poo poo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bawk posted:

It's stuff like this that lets me know if I ever wake up to find out D&D's magic system existed IRL I would be one of those random skeletons you find in a study/library surrounded by the notes/scrawls/maddening scratchings of a man slowly going insane over how the Grease spell works, let alone what happens between when Revivify stops working and Speak With Dead starts. IRL me vs. That one book from one of the cellars in BG3? I'm hosed, fully dead/enthralled/etc.

Why, specifically, the Grease spell?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evilreaver posted:

systems of magic that work coherently and fluidly
Sorry, what? We're talking about Dungeons and Dragons.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Edit: further, I've had a few quest interactables be very hard to find even when using Alt to highlight them, sometimes you have to wander around to the area so you get line of sight on the interaction point

Just click the nameplate that shows up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's one of the strongest first level spells and to master it will make you one of the Lards of Fat

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RandolphCarter posted:

Just click the nameplate that shows up.

Sometimes you have to wander around the area to get the name plate to show up is what I'm saying

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

Sorry, what? We're talking about Dungeons and Dragons.

I'm talking about my various lovely homebrews :argh:

Ask me about my "double pendulum theory" of time travel if you have an afternoon to waste

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Sometimes you have to wander around the area to get the name plate to show up is what I'm saying

Oh, yeah that’s pretty annoying. I think stuff only shows up if one of your characters is facing it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean I don't, but I can always read it later. Does it look like this?

Evilreaver posted:

Ask me about my "double pendulum theory" of time travel if you have an afternoon to waste

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

You get it at first level, it's liable to make you slip and fall, it can be exploded into a sizeable patch of burning flames, it's an intersection of utility and damage that does exactly what it says on the tin, and conjuring this patch of grease takes more mental/physical effort (using a spell slot) than tossing a bolt of fire.

It's fascinating. There's something under the hood of this spell that makes it different, and I'd be the stupid bastard trying to reverse engineer why the rules work the way they do instead of going to wizard school

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Opening a portal to the elemental plane of grease is hard.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I was going to make a joke about taking a level dip into Wizard for access to the Grease spell so that a Monk can just post up in close quarters and punch the poo poo out of prone characters who slipped and fell, like that one goons friend who went to prison and would oil up the cell floor before taunting people in to fight them. But! That totally worked out for him, and it would totally work in-game :negative:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean I don't, but I can always read it later. Does it look like this?

Not really, my double-pendulum theory addresses time loops: the short thread-friendly explanation is that if you go back in time and make a loop, for example giving yourself the answers to a test question, then your future self goes back in time to give a second-order-future self the test answers it can seem as though the answers appeared from nowhere. This loop can appear stable for a handful of iterations, but your Nth-order future self is under no obligation to exactly repeat actions, thus time loops have a unstable nature and can spin off, eventually closing the loop.

This theory works to make some time travel shenanigans like the Terminator franchise consistent. The John Connor that we know this "time" is (potentially) not the same as the John Connor who sent Kyle Reese back in time; they have different fathers (we don't know who the previous father was since sending Arnold back in time precluded him meeting Sarah Connor-- furthermore since John Connor is under the assumption that Kyle Reese is his original father, we know for certain that the John Connor from Terminator 1 who sent Kyle Reese back is not the first order John Connor). As the two parties sending agents back in time continue to mess with the timeline this could spin off a quote "finalized" timeline at some point wherein no Johns Connor exist at all

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Aug 25, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bawk posted:

I knew it was going to end up being something from D&D first, but I really don't have much experience with D&D outside of a very small amount of 3.5e early on and then 5e. So the only time it's ever really come up was Pathfinder. Makes sense though! Isn't Pathfinder 1e built on the framework of 3e or 3.5e?
In the same way that image searching for "original character do not steal" will get you a number of items built on the sonic framework yes.

e: also to fully complete this analogy assume that the only sonic game released was sonic 06

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TL;DR, when WotC made third edition thry had a permissive license to allow third party people to make content for it legally. When they rolled out 4th edition they put together a different very restrictive license, and told publishers that they could either sell 4e content or 3e content but not both.

These publishers would have to stop selling their entire catalogs of 3e stuff, which was basically financial suicide. Instead, 3e was forked with some updates into 'pathfinder' (lead by the publisher WotC previously had handling the official Dungeon and Dragon magazines). Pathfinder was compatible with all the old backcatalog, so the third party people could keep selling their stuff. Virtually all of them jumped ship.

And, not-incidentally, since 4e's success was now an existential threat to all the major third party publishers, there was a huge edition war.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

DrBouvenstein posted:

This just made me think of the Junji Ito short story with the zits. :stare:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

grittyreboot posted:

I believe your pet in Torchlight would collect loot for you. Those games also had a nice feature where you could load up your pet with sellable junk and it'd run back to town and sell it for you so you didn't have to stop exploring the dungeon.

You had to actively tell it to pick stuff up/manually dump items into its inventory, though either way it only sounds good on paper. In practice, it couldn't keep up with the pace of loot (with a return timer that lengthened the farther from town you were), you were potentially removing a useful combat aid since you could load your pet up with spells, and town portal scrolls were common anyway. Or you could spend a spell slot on a town portal spell and completely skip the fuss.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Story notes:

Some fast food outlet in Neverwinter hires a bunch of apprentice wizards to keep casting Grease on the deep fryer over and over. Then corporate throws a tizzy when Volo's dictionary includes an entry on "McSpellcasting", claims it is demeaning to their employees. Huge PR blunder when said employees disagree, refuse to sign petition.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I know this is a basic rear end question but

Why is it called Neverwinter if it's always goddamn Winter?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's ironic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

It’s not always winter there though?

Anyway, it’s because of the river - the river Never which runs through the city never freezes because of the fire primordial (fuckoff big elemental) under the nearby Mount Hotenow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Rebracketing, the same linguistic shift that turned 'an apkin' into 'a napkin'.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tunicate posted:

Rebracketing, the same linguistic shift that turned 'an apkin' into 'a napkin'.

WHAT

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Arivia posted:

It’s not always winter there though?

Anyway, it’s because of the river - the river Never which runs through the city never freezes because of the fire primordial (fuckoff big elemental) under the nearby Mount Hotenow.

I read it wasn't certain, unless that's changed. I think there was an elf named Never that nearly perished in a huge battle (Never's Winter) but was saved, also because of the harbor that doesn't freeze

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I read it wasn't certain, unless that's changed. I think there was an elf named Never that nearly perished in a huge battle (Never's Winter) but was saved, also because of the harbor that doesn't freeze

The elf Lord Halueth Never is considered the founder. The bit about “Never’s Winter” is considered ambiguously canon - it’s from the Neverwinter Nights 2 video game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

there's a bunch of them. see also "an ewt" and "an ekename". some of them go the other way, like "a nadder", "a norange," and "a napron".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

this gave me whiplash in the same way that finding out "pineapple" in every other language is "ananas" did

"naranja" makes so much more sense now to my English speaking brain, god dammit