Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

zone posted:

So this is what glorious Puccia got reduced to.

is that rust just billowing about the treads like a cloud of pigpen stank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Dick Bastardly posted:

russian patina, very valuable on these antiques

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/BlackRedGuard1/status/1694792051982745632

tankies: "Culture War Bad"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

probably Khrushchev drawing on his stuff to make him look bad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
he pounded it with his shoe

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Word had different meanings back then idiots. Like how all fancy dresses used to be called toilets. He was giving him resounding comradic praise.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't sign other people's posts lmao

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

zone posted:

Sure, it would be foolhardy to employ them offensively, but as self-propelled artillery in defensive placements augmenting behind the trenches I'm sure they can be used effectively? Especially in numbers? Wouldn't want to crew one though. But even defensively, barrel fatigue is going to soon render them inaccurate but still able to gently caress up an infantry assault from a distance. I would imagine that's how Ukraine is using poo poo Soviet armor and they probably would want as many as they could get for their own defensive lines.

On artillery, there was some sort of mention somewhere that Ukraine is beginning to feel that they have balanced the artillery ratio with Russia, or are getting more comfortable with the ratio, so that's one good thing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

the popes toes posted:

Sure, it would be foolhardy to employ them offensively, but as self-propelled artillery in defensive placements augmenting behind the trenches I'm sure they can be used effectively? Especially in numbers? Wouldn't want to crew one though. But even defensively, barrel fatigue is going to soon render them inaccurate but still able to gently caress up an infantry assault from a distance. I would imagine that's how Ukraine is using poo poo Soviet armor and they probably would want as many as they could get for their own defensive lines.

On artillery, there was some sort of mention somewhere that Ukraine is beginning to feel that they have balanced the artillery ratio with Russia, or are getting more comfortable with the ratio, so that's one good thing.

Yeah, like every death bucket T-10 is very good at being self-propelled artillery supporting infantry and it takes an antitank weapon to die. Its not useless as it is impervious to small arms fire and carries a big gun, but like all other Soviet scrapyard finds, its dead when actual modern tank, or IFV with DU ammo, sees it.

EDIT: If it is real or not, the above is still true and covers basically all tanks that USSR ever had after the WW2.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 25, 2023

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

zone posted:

That looks like CGI to me.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
How reliable would the engine and drivetrain on something that old be? I'd be worried about a modern tank showing up and then the reverse gear fails...

I can't imagine some of these mothballed tanks are gonna be reliable now, especially if they were kinda questionable back in the day. I suppose it's possible to restore one to brand new condition but I think we can probably agree that's not happening lol

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
having lots of bad shells deployed is also good cuz that way you sort out all the bad ones

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Budzilla posted:

Sanctions are hitting Russia so hard they're living in PS3 quality conditions.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

the popes toes posted:

It has dogshit optics so it'll get blown up by a ukrainian tank before it can ever see them. If its a western tank were talking literally over 100% effective range difference.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

weg posted:

How reliable would the engine and drivetrain on something that old be? I'd be worried about a modern tank showing up and then the reverse gear fails...

I can't imagine some of these mothballed tanks are gonna be reliable now, especially if they were kinda questionable back in the day. I suppose it's possible to restore one to brand new condition but I think we can probably agree that's not happening lol

it being questionable is really a matter of what you ask of it. a lot of the reason these older engines get deprecated is less that they are hard to maintain or make reliable and more that they can't perform at the level you need them to perform. used as self-propelled infantry support that doesn't really need to move much, especially in a defensive line situation, there's likely going to be less difference between something from 1960 and 2000 than you might think.

now that said, gfl using that sort of stuff offensively. part of the point behind the counterattack is calling into serious question whether or not russia's going to be able to resume an offensive posture after the shellacking they're taking ukranian forces. and in THAT context, these old engines are not going to be reliable at all because trying to go forward at any kind of speed, for any length of time, is functionally redlining the drat thing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

it being questionable is really a matter of what you ask of it. a lot of the reason these older engines get deprecated is less that they are hard to maintain or make reliable and more that they can't perform at the level you need them to perform. used as self-propelled infantry support that doesn't really need to move much, especially in a defensive line situation, there's likely going to be less difference between something from 1960 and 2000 than you might think.

now that said, gfl using that sort of stuff offensively. part of the point behind the counterattack is calling into serious question whether or not russia's going to be able to resume an offensive posture after the shellacking they're taking ukranian forces. and in THAT context, these old engines are not going to be reliable at all because trying to go forward at any kind of speed, for any length of time, is functionally redlining the drat thing.

I think that if these are used, they are driven into pre-made dug in positions and used there as artillery, or direct fire bunkers. They need to drive that one time from the drop-off point to their positions, or dragged if necessary, so the engine or especially drivetrain reliability isn't an issue. They basically make an extra hurdle the UAF needs to take care of when breaking the defense lines.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After we plow though the 50’s junk where do we go? Are we going to get to like WW1 era kitbash stuff? Was Russia in WW1 long enough to get to the tank parts?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

After we plow though the 50’s junk where do we go? Are we going to get to like WW1 era kitbash stuff? Was Russia in WW1 long enough to get to the tank parts?

Yeah, and it was a game changer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

EDIT: So no, but they did have a number of pre-WW2 designs but those you can kill with basically any modern high-power rifle such as .50 cal Barrett.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 25, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
looking forward to the lada technical being the new official main battle tank of the russian army

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:frogout: and stay out.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, and it was a game changer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

EDIT: So no, but they did have a number of pre-WW2 designs but those you can kill with basically any modern high-power rifle such as .50 cal Barrett.
I wonder how well they would do in that dugout bunker if a quadcopter with some RPG rounds goes overhead and sees a target of opportunity.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CannonFodder posted:

I wonder how well they would do in that dugout bunker if a quadcopter with some RPG rounds goes overhead and sees a target of opportunity.

Those mortar drones they have will be enough to open them up like tin cans if they see them.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

We'd truly be living in the dumbest timeline if footage emerged of an FT-17 being used in combat during this war.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

:frogout: and stay out.
Haven't herd of these nazis in a while, what's the story here? What "extradition" are they talking about?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't herd of these nazis in a while, what's the story here? What "extradition" are they talking about?

The Nazis are in Ukraine, while Russia is totes cool with gay and trans people and having pride parades in Moscow.

Wait they WHAT??

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Dick Bastardly posted:

Hey, buddy, watch your words there

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

He’s just asking a question and looking at Rust, here

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

One of their number got recently arrested in Finland or Sweden. They're appealing to monke to get him extradited back home after Ukraine asked for him to be sent to them instead. If monke doesn't save him, they promised to quit fighting.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rust Martialis posted:

you've been billowing about too long, time to pay

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Budzilla posted:

It's a screenshot from a video of it backing off the trailer.

I am fairly sure I saw this exact video many years ago and this tank was being unloaded at a museum that was going to be restoring it for display. I could be mistaken and it was another IS series tank.

While I guess it's possible that they would scrounge up some of these and try to deploy them in Ukraine, I have my doubts if for no other reason than they changed the main gun caliber when the T-54 was introduced so there probably isn't a whole lot of 122mm ammunition laying around to use in these things.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Should do a :toxx: on when we’ll see multiple instances of Hilux’s with rocket pods.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I doubt the T-10 is real. I'm pretty sure they'd dig up T-55s and more T-62s before we saw one of those on the frontline. But if it was real? No, it wouldn't be useful in any role. Modern FCS/rangefinders/optics are to tank cannons as the stirrup was to cavalry. A highly trained crew can work those pre-70s systems to get 1km hits pretty reliably, but not conscripts, even in (and especially as) an indirect fire role. As for engine/powertrain, also no. Heavy tanks and the heavier Medium/MBTs of the post-WW2 era had drive/power train issues and were expected to get pretty hefty refits on an operational basis. The IS-2 was the only tank in that series that didn't have some severe mechanical problems.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

One of their number got recently arrested in Finland or Sweden. They're appealing to monke to get him extradited back home after Ukraine asked for him to be sent to them instead. If monke doesn't save him, they promised to quit fighting.

Wow, this gives Finland all the incentives to acquiesce and send him to Russia!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Russian tank crew training material, circa early 2024 CE (colourised)...

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Prig getting cold feet while barreling down on Moscow is still the most unrealistic part of this novel.

It just makes no sense, who would do that? When success is almost in your hands you make a deal and just trust them?

It gets even worse as they just kill him at the end of the next chapter, like wouldn't he at least be afraid for his life traveling in Russia? I know they haven't actually said it was Putin who ordered it, but come on, who else would it be.

2/5 plot and whoever is ghostwriting this for Clancy should move on.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bondematt posted:

Prig getting cold feet while barreling down on Moscow is still the most unrealistic part of this novel.

It just makes no sense, who would do that? When success is almost in your hands you make a deal and just trust them?

It gets even worse as they just kill him at the end of the next chapter, like wouldn't he at least be afraid for his life traveling in Russia? I know they haven't actually said it was Putin who ordered it, but come on, who else would it be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwieiakHiaM&t=13s

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bondematt posted:

I mean if you told a patriot that the country would fall apart if they took the country over, what would you do? I mean if you asked the man if you wanted to see Russia fall apart and collapse what do you think his answer would be?

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Budzilla posted:

This looks like a screenshot from world of tanks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Locator posted:

While I guess it's possible that they would scrounge up some of these and try to deploy them in Ukraine, I have my doubts if for no other reason than they changed the main gun caliber when the T-54 was introduced so there probably isn't a whole lot of 122mm ammunition laying around to use in these things.

picturing some Russian soldiers being sent to a long abandoned storage facility with a metal detector to try and find ammo for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Budzilla posted:

The clip in question

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1694904449649844474?s=20