Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This has nothing to do with Dak. I'm imagine it's very unlikely that the Cowboys think they are trading for a guy who is going to ever replace Dak. It's just an asset.

An asset who will, under the best circumstances, never, ever see the field? And then he leaves in FA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Eh, I think it's worth the gamble for the Cowboys. Put some pressure on Dak, and maybe they'll luck out on Lance being good.

I mean it's the Cowboys so this will somehow hilariously blow up in their face, but in a vacuum it seems fine to me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cavauro posted:

jerry jones just said this is the quarterback of the future on espn.

I’ve seen Get Out. I know exactly what Jerry Jones is thinking

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rogue Elephant posted:

An asset who will, under the best circumstances, never, ever see the field? And then he leaves in FA?

Or he plays in a game or 2 and plays decently and they can flip him for a pick. It's a bet. I don't really see much of a downside other than I think the 4 is a bit more than I would've given.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Niners are going to be very sorry when Brock and Darnold tear their ACLs on back to back plays in Week 2

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Any time you can get a fourth round pick for a player you traded three first rounders for you have to go for it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lance being called for after the first dogshit cowboys performance (week 1) it'll make for some fun hot takes though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I see this as also wanting to move on from Cooper Rush. Rush won em some games, his price is also going up

Not Dak money, but let someone else kick the tires on him

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Will Grier superfans everywhere are FURIOUS

midwat
May 6, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

The Niners are going to be very sorry when Brock and Darnold tear their ACLs on back to back plays in Week 2

Yeah, I don't think this trade makes sense for anybody. The Cowboys are overpaying for a guy who hasn't really shown anything, and the Niners are really betting they won't have the horrible QB injury luck they've had... checks notes... every year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

god drat what a massive bust

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Surprised the trade happened, for a lot of reasons, but glad they’re willing and able to move on from a bad draft pick.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The 49ers absolutely bungled the poo poo out of the last few years. They could have just signed Tom Brady and probably won three straight Super Bowls, definitely at least one, not completely torch a bunch of assets to trade up for Lance for zero return, and could have gotten their next post Brady guy either trading for a vet or drafting someone else

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

midwat posted:

Yeah, I don't think this trade makes sense for anybody. The Cowboys are overpaying for a guy who hasn't really shown anything, and the Niners are really betting they won't have the horrible QB injury luck they've had... checks notes... every year.

They're doing Lance a small favour and helping themselves out by not having a disgruntled former 1st round pick on the roster

midwat
May 6, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

They're doing Lance a small favour and helping themselves out by not having a disgruntled former 1st round pick on the roster

Yes, I guess the human factor makes it more sensible.

I'm just kind of sad. As someone who didn't believe in either Darnold or Lance, I found this preseason exciting in a perverse "stoppable force meets very movable object" way.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nodoze posted:

The 49ers absolutely bungled the poo poo out of the last few years. They could have just signed Tom Brady and probably won three straight Super Bowls, definitely at least one, not completely torch a bunch of assets to trade up for Lance for zero return, and could have gotten their next post Brady guy either trading for a vet or drafting someone else

This is true and disheartening, but also gently caress Tom Brady, I’m glad he never played in SF.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Rogue Elephant posted:

That's literally every backup QB. It's a valuable position. Cowboys have gotten burned by having poo poo backups before.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Coldforge posted:

This is true and disheartening, but also gently caress Tom Brady, I’m glad he never played in SF.

The icing on the cake would be looking at all the players who they could have picked with those picks had they kept them

Shanahan is probably one of only like five (?) coaches who could have not gotten fired over this turn of events

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Tom would probably have had a career ending injury during his first snap for the 49ers.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

For sure, but that wouldn’t be any different if we still had Trey Lance on the roster.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
When we do we start getting “Is Dak disgruntled?” chat?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/AnnieAgar/status/1695216768074006968

Mana Dragon
Nov 1, 2007

Ware Smash!
hey Dak has that rare skill of being able to miss multiple games in a year due to injury and then still lead the league in interceptions. A unique skill few can master. Trey Lance can learn much from Dak, and then do the opposite of that.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Matt Ryan is a terrible commentator.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dak is perfectly fine and a 4th rounder to take a flier on a high pick is an overpay but not a huge one. If nothing else Lance has a higher ceiling than Will Grier.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nodoze posted:

The 49ers absolutely bungled the poo poo out of the last few years. They could have just signed Tom Brady and probably won three straight Super Bowls,

*Imagining this world*

Mmm, so good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How much of this trade was Jerry and how much was Mike McCarthy?

Mana Dragon
Nov 1, 2007

Ware Smash!

SKULL.GIF posted:

How much of this trade was Jerry and how much was Mike McCarthy?

almost all Jerry I can assure you, considering Mike may not have a job if the Boys crap the bed again this year.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

After some debate I've decided I don't have an opinion on this

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

sharknado slashfic posted:

After some debate I've decided I don't have an opinion on this

My only thoughts on the matter are gently caress the Cowboys.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kyle really hosed up badly with that pick. If it wasnt for the playoff runs he probably would be run out of town. Just. yeah.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
This free up the money to pay Bosa?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I mean we already have proof that Brock Purdy is a better quarterback than Tom Brady, and that's with Brady's twenty years of experience versus Purdy's first start!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

:haibrow:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gaston Bachelard posted:

This free up the money to pay Bosa?

Frees up 5 million and change next year, less than a million this year. It could, depending how they structure things.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Always and forever

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nodoze posted:

The icing on the cake would be looking at all the players who they could have picked with those picks had they kept them

Shanahan is probably one of only like five (?) coaches who could have not gotten fired over this turn of events

it'd be extra funny if he'd been fired over Lance since he didn't want him in the first place

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
This wasn't a bad move for the Cowboys. Lance won't start unless Dak gets hurt (which he will) and the team is good enough to get him some experience. A 4th is whatever if you've got a solid backup you could possibly flip later on if he's good

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lance isn’t starting in relief of a hurt Dak either. He’s firmly behind Cooper Rush as a developmental lottery ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lance isn’t starting in relief of a hurt Dak either. He’s firmly behind Cooper Rush as a developmental lottery ticket.

Yeah, I don't really see how the Cowboys are a better opportunity for Lance, both teams are in a place where they aren't willing to risk their season on him. At least it's a fresh start for him.