Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So it looks like the big holdouts are Netflix and Disney. Amazon and Apple probably feel the same way because they’re tech, but they have so much other revenue streams they probably don’t care either way.

The remaining studios associated with AMPTP probably have way more to lose than Netflix and Disney. If I were WGA/SAG I’d try to score interim agreements with them. The AMPTP is trying to get infighting to happen on WGA/SAG side, so they may as well try the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I know for sure it was reported that Netflix were big holdouts, at least when it came to SAG.

Like the AMPTP's entire purpose seems to be to prevent studios from striking separate deals. Does it do anything when the guilds aren't negotiating?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know for sure it was reported that Netflix were big holdouts, at least when it came to SAG.

Like the AMPTP's entire purpose seems to be to prevent studios from striking separate deals. Does it do anything when the guilds aren't negotiating?

If I recall correctly the last WGA strike ended when studios broke away to do interim deals and they all fell like dominoes not long after.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1694755160650629459

I didn't know he was also good at delivering speeches.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/elainelow/status/1694798320160702815

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

fart blood posted:

I’m starting to think the people that run the studios are incredibly stupid.

Funny you should say that...

quote:

In a 2017 interview, Zaslav told a story of staying at the office late one night to wait for a call from Malone. When Bob Wright arrived the next morning and found him still there, Zaslav explained why he hadn’t left his post: “You said I should wait for John Malone to call, so I did.” Wright, he said, “got Jack [Welch] on the phone and goes, ‘This guy stayed all night. Can you believe this guy?’ Years later, Bob said to me, ‘That was it. We said, you’re our guy.’ ”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was this story at least in an era before cell phones because it's stupid either way but double lol if not

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Khanstant posted:

Was this story at least in an era before cell phones because it's stupid either way but double lol if not

Sounds like it was late Eighties/early Nineties, so you'd think they'd have cell phones, but I guess not for important business?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
The idea that they can’t get proper residuals for streaming now seems insane because I swear I remember in 2008 that was a sticking point that the wga caved in because streaming was so new and was worth nothing - at the time. I remember South Park guys making fun of them for blocking a deal over such small potatoes.

Fast forward to now and streaming ate the world and this was SUPPOSED to be the true-up contract, where we saw how streaming shook out and paid out accordingly.

The optics on this are clear enough that most Americans are on board and the fact that despite that the studios still won’t deal, because they both want to crush unions and also desperately, howlingly need the stock price to go up (oh, and streaming may be a scam!), is a leading indicator of how the us is near crumbling. I don’t want to get too doomy, but between climate change surging and the almighty stock market forcing exponential gains, something has to break. The copper is almost completely ripped out of the walls at this point.

edit: like they just got movies back on track after a pandemic and now they’re blowing up the pipeline? Something is seriously wrong here and they may have finally untethered enough from the rest of us that they can’t even see it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Enderzero posted:

The idea that they can’t get proper residuals for streaming now seems insane because I swear I remember in 2008 that was a sticking point that the wga caved in because streaming was so new and was worth nothing - at the time. I remember South Park guys making fun of them for blocking a deal over such small potatoes.

Fast forward to now and streaming ate the world and this was SUPPOSED to be the true-up contract, where we saw how streaming shook out and paid out accordingly.

The optics on this are clear enough that most Americans are on board and the fact that despite that the studios still won’t deal, because they both want to crush unions and also desperately, howlingly need the stock price to go up (oh, and streaming may be a scam!), is a leading indicator of how the us is near crumbling. I don’t want to get too doomy, but between climate change surging and the almighty stock market forcing exponential gains, something has to break. The copper is almost completely ripped out of the walls at this point.

edit: like they just got movies back on track after a pandemic and now they’re blowing up the pipeline? Something is seriously wrong here and they may have finally untethered enough from the rest of us that they can’t even see it.

The studios — Netflix especially — are terrified of streaming numbers becoming public. They’ll proudly tout big numbers if it’s a gigantic smash hit like Wednesday, Squid Game, or Stranger Things, but beyond that they won’t. There’s only two possible reasons:

1) so many people are watching streaming that they’ll go broke paying actors residuals, and no-name actors become millionaires almost overnight, or

2) nobody is watching this poo poo and it’s all a house of cards, and investors are going to be extremely unhappy that they invested all this time and money to produce content no one is watching, and they bail.

It’s fun guessing which.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's probably both in different piles plus a lot of them making bizarre choices regardless of the data involved.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm going to guess it's just weird, like the Cocomelon/Blippi crew is about to be Bezos rich because of kids parked in front of streaming.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Enderzero posted:

I don’t want to get too doomy, but between climate change surging and the almighty stock market forcing exponential gains, something has to break. The copper is almost completely ripped out of the walls at this point.

We've been through worse and have come back from it. But then again, past performance is no guarantee of future success. Everyone predicts that the world will end and it never does. But empires - empires do fall.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
If there was no money from streaming, wouldn't they be crying about that since day one?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Cheesus posted:

If there was no money from streaming, wouldn't they be crying about that since day one?

No, because the way you get rich is stock market pumping. The problem is that the stock market is predicated on exponential growth - not even big exponential! If you make x^1.01 the stock market will love you. But the second you drop below that, even if you’re still growing at 2% or whatever, you’re not worth investing in. So I suspect growing via debt Netflix WAS profitable, but the second they say that they are mature and growth will be slow and hard won, the stock will crater and then, only then, does streaming become unprofitable.

And this strike is their attempt to remain in the first regime, and not get diverted to the second.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Enderzero posted:

The optics on this are clear enough that most Americans are on board and the fact that despite that the studios still won’t deal...

Most Americans have insanely short memories. The strikes matter now, because nothing else has grabbed national attention. With the first RNC debate last night, and the primaries coming, I'd expect the average attention to change. The billionaires who control the media will be cramming the election down our throats. The biggest issue that Americans on both sides of the aisle agree on the most is that China is a threat, so both sides will be pushing that in the coming months.

I know nobody that is specifically impacted by this labor dispute personally, though I always side with labor. My point is not to dishearten anyone, or encourage y'all to take a lovely deal. I'm just giving my opinion on how much focus the strike is likely to keep receiving going forward. Push hard, and make lots of noise. Social media is still effective at spreading an even and honest message. But the upcoming election has the potential to completely dominate the news cycle.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Hollywood union contracts are staggered, so there’s almost always a negotiation to prepare for or finalize. DGA/SAG/WGA negotiate this year, I believe IATSE and Teamsters are next year. There’s also Animation Guild, and LIUNA (laborers union) has a small Hollywood local that has to get in there too at some point. There’s enough work to keep some lawyers and negotiators busy throughout the contract cycles.

But yeah it’s a peculiar enterprise because its members are competitors who only come together with the collective goal of loving over their employees.

G-Spot Run posted:

I'm going to guess it's just weird, like the Cocomelon/Blippi crew is about to be Bezos rich because of kids parked in front of streaming.

Unfortunately most childrens’ animation is covered by The Animation Guild, not WGA, and the writers are paid way less and get pretty much zero residuals. But they will definitely be paying attention to how the WGA contract shapes up on the residuals side so they can hopefully get some leverage for their own negotiation.

Bizarrely, it’s the studios who get to decide whether or not an animated show is covered by WGA or TAG.

On the SAG-AFTRA side, the SAG contract that covers animation is separate from the TV/film theatrical contract, so I don’t know if the VO residuals schedule will be affected by the current negotiations.

Having done a tiny bit of voice acting myself, I assure you the streaming residuals for animation are just as terrible as the live-action residuals.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

That is literally their reason for existing. As I understand it the strikes in the 60s were a nightmare for the studios because the unions were able to negotiate with them individually and chip away, so the AMPTP was formed to prevent that from happening again.

SpaceParrot
Jul 18, 2006

In 2024 all movies come from A24…coincidence???

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

fart blood posted:

The studios — Netflix especially — are terrified of streaming numbers becoming public. They’ll proudly tout big numbers if it’s a gigantic smash hit like Wednesday, Squid Game, or Stranger Things, but beyond that they won’t. There’s only two possible reasons:

1) so many people are watching streaming that they’ll go broke paying actors residuals, and no-name actors become millionaires almost overnight, or

2) nobody is watching this poo poo and it’s all a house of cards, and investors are going to be extremely unhappy that they invested all this time and money to produce content no one is watching, and they bail.

It’s fun guessing which.

I mean. - there are only so many hours in a day. 20 years ago we had network and cable and premium but still a minuscule amount of decent programming.

Now we have so much content out there - I’ve got such a backlog.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1695111644974862523

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh noes, did the big bad WGA huwt poor Bob's feewings?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This will all be fixed with the new one world government, fair rights for everyone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

That is literally their reason for existing. As I understand it the strikes in the 60s were a nightmare for the studios because the unions were able to negotiate with them individually and chip away, so the AMPTP was formed to prevent that from happening again.

Studios: Hmmm, apart we're weaker but together we're stronger? Let's unite together so together we are united and can present a united front that makes us strong through our united status. Then we can defeat the evil that is a Union forever!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember the idea that Bob Iger coming back would be an improvement? Good times.

(This was, admittedly, a view held primarily by Disney Park Habitués - like the ones who go every day - who felt his predecessor neglected them or something.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean Iger was never praised for being good to labor. He was just more competent than Bob Chapek who seemed to have no idea what he was doing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dawgstar posted:

Remember the idea that Bob Iger coming back would be an improvement? Good times.

(This was, admittedly, a view held primarily by Disney Park Habitués - like the ones who go every day - who felt his predecessor neglected them or something.)

Iger, much like most famous CEOs, benefitted from multiple strokes of luck and left before all the rot started to become noticeable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I started reading DisneyWar after an earlier discussion and that does ring true: Did you know Eisner and Katzenberg wanted to shut down the animation studio?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

Chapek really did make the parks worse and charged considerably more for services at every level so it's a valid criticism, Iger just sucks in a lot of different ways.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
“Good as a human being” is not necessarily the same as “good as a CEO of a billion-dollar company”, yes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Enderzero posted:

For what it's worth though, South Park made fun of WGA wanting streaming residuals... after Matt & Trey (mostly Matt) had negotiated their own contract which included digital streaming. Arguably a lot of their ongoing success is from holding out for that... They get 50% of all ad revenue & syndication from South Park.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

That kind of Disney fan is exactly the kind of person Disney would've wanted for his company town

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean Iger was never praised for being good to labor. He was just more competent than Bob Chapek who seemed to have no idea what he was doing.

Scarlett Johansson sure liked Iger better!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1695192050482958688

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair Bob Chapek was openly starting to court chuds and was no friendlier to labor

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Crackbone posted:

Iger, much like most famous CEOs, benefitted from multiple strokes of luck and left before all the rot started to become noticeable.

That really is the story of all CEOs, the company I work has gone through 3 CEO since the start of pandemic and the guy we currently have is basically having the company deal with all the tech debt in our software the two preview guys ran up.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

For what it's worth though, South Park made fun of WGA wanting streaming residuals... after Matt & Trey (mostly Matt) had negotiated their own contract which included digital streaming. Arguably a lot of their ongoing success is from holding out for that... They get 50% of all ad revenue & syndication from South Park.

What pieces of poo poo.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So. I have a question. Did Zack Snyder get a pass or something to advertise Rebel Moon? I'm surprised there's been no visible blowback for that. He's part of the WGA right? He's not just the director, he's a writer on it too.

He was in Germany at gamescom advertising it and has been interviewed in several articles written about it in the past few days due to the new trailer.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MagusDraco posted:

So. I have a question. Did Zack Snyder get a pass or something to advertise Rebel Moon? I'm surprised there's been no visible blowback for that. He's part of the WGA right? He's not just the director, he's a writer on it too.

He was in Germany at gamescom advertising it and has been interviewed in several articles written about it in the past few days due to the new trailer.

The DGA has a contract, and that contract states that DGA members are not allowed to assist any strike against the employer. This isn't unique to the DGA, all the guilds have that clause in their contract, it just happens that the DGA's clause is relevant right now. Publicity is part of Snyder's duties as a director, so studios can ask him to do it regardless of the "writer" side of him being on strike.

(He still isn't allowed to perform duties as a writer, though there are some grey areas that the DGA considers directorial and the WGA considers writing.)

He also has the right to refuse to cross a picket line if there's one present.

quote:

17-101 No Strike, No Lockout Provisions

a)The Guild agrees that during the term hereof it will not call or engage in or assist any strike, slow-down or stoppage of work affecting motion picture production against the Employer and, in return, the Employer agrees during the term hereof not to lock out Employees covered by the BA. The Guild agrees that it will use its best efforts in good faith to require its members to perform their services for the Employer, even though other persons or groups of persons may be on strike.[...]

(b) Notwithstanding the foregoing provision, it shall constitute a material violation of the BA for the Employer to attempt to impose discipline as the result of the refusal of any Employee to cross any primary picket line duly authorized by the Guild. Nothing in this subparagraph (b) shall prevent Employer from replacing any Employee who fails to cross the Guild primary picket line.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yep, that was the real twist of the knife.