Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's a lot of DR that requires having been in combat and hit monsters a few times and Corpse Bows are really good at sniping out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’m 68 and have been basically doing nothing but T4 NMDs and maybe a helltide here and there. I don’t know how y’all can do this all the way 100.

I've gone thru with 2 characters and I pretty much stop playing a few hours after unlocking T4. I don't think I've level up past 70 cuz theres just not enough variety to keep me engaged past that point.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Am I the only one that never really had much trouble with corpse bows? Literally the only time I can remember them causing problems is when I did a tier 100 NMD and then I was getting one-shotted.

It's possible this is because I played ranged and thus prioritized distant DR, but I don't live in terror of them like most people seem to.

They are priority targets at range without a ground paint tell, that can hit you when you can't hit them. They are not difficult to deal with, just an interruption. I never had trouble with corpse bows as a barb or druid, it just felt like fun tax.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It is unlikely my Sorc survives a corpse bow that's 20 levels or more above me without being in a blizzard or with max stacks of disobedience and they snipe from outside your visible area

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Verviticus posted:

like when people say that being in town for 30 seconds is an arduous torture designed to separate them from more killing and looting

the thing you're experiencing here is time management, where many have none. for some people, going back to town means you sort inventory, check the top 2 or so of each item category + aspects, mark what you don't want as junk, sell and then pop the next map because you didn't find anything worth replacing another item in your tiny stash space. most people will be using that time to take out their dog, check on their kids, take a rip from a bong, tab out to check youtube for a new background video, not pemdas their items worth a poo poo, check literally every stat on an item before making a decision, go to a bad town, pick up even the white trash, etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tonetta posted:

go to a bad town, pick up even the white trash, etc.

Which reminds me, Happy Friday everyone!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BRB taking my dog on a 30 second walk.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

American McGay posted:

BRB taking my dog on a 30 second walk.

That's what I say to my discord buds every time we all port to town.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Port to town. Accept next NM. Sell all my poo poo as fast as I can. Sprint to the bathroom to piss, sprint to the kitchen to refill drink. Fast waddle back to the couch. Jump in buddy’s teleport and hope he’s not already at the boss yet.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Youve captured the bespoke d4 experience. Now go do the overworld.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Am I the only one that never really had much trouble with corpse bows? Literally the only time I can remember them causing problems is when I did a tier 100 NMD and then I was getting one-shotted.

It's possible this is because I played ranged and thus prioritized distant DR, but I don't live in terror of them like most people seem to.

I didn't have much trouble with anything at all as thorns barb, it was basically invulnerable with all the DR, 8K armor in town, and 20K+ health. I could even tank an Uber Lilith wave

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good level 50+ necromancer build that uses 2h scythes? I leveled up using the maxroll blight corpse explosion build and loved it. Now that I'm 50 I'm trying out the endgame version of the build (https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/blight-corpse-explosion-necromancer-guide) and I'm liking it okay but I'm sad it uses swords, plus I kinda wish I had a minion or two. I didn't get to play much endgame prior to the season and I'm not very good at math! If it matters, I did get my hands on a set of unique gloves, Howl From Below (but I'm guessing I'll replace this pretty quickly as I level?).

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Name Change posted:

that almost unavoidable ghost ray attack.

I’ve seen a few folks reference this in the past several pages. Y’all understand that attack is a 2 parter, and it is telegraphed for several seconds before the marker appears on the ground, right?

watchoutitsabear posted:

Can anyone recommend a good level 50+ necromancer build that uses 2h scythes? I leveled up using the maxroll blight corpse explosion build and loved it. Now that I'm 50 I'm trying out the endgame version of the build (https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/blight-corpse-explosion-necromancer-guide) and I'm liking it okay but I'm sad it uses swords, plus I kinda wish I had a minion or two. I didn't get to play much endgame prior to the season and I'm not very good at math! If it matters, I did get my hands on a set of unique gloves, Howl From Below (but I'm guessing I'll replace this pretty quickly as I level?).

You can just use scythes if you prefer them. It won’t make the difference between any build being viable or not. I think the only niche where they are “optimal” is a non mendeln pet heavy build (because pets inherit your base damage but have their own attack speed), but that kind of build is probably the worst necro option for high level content.

That being said if you’re rolling a seasonal character and using the barber heart basically any build can clear all the content in the game.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
So what happens to all my loot when the season ends? I understand that things just merge with Eternal, but that leaves me with pages of gear that won't fit in my Eternal chest unless I purge a lot of stuff.

e: Are any of the goon clans still particularly active? ABEL seems to only have 2-3 other people on during the times I'm playing. I understand that BG3 gutted the Diablo community, and rightly so, but it would be nice to run Nightmares with others for a change.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 26, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Scoss posted:

I don't think shoving a bunch of FOMO disposable weekly event "content" into the game in order to desperately cling to player mindshare is a good strategy for tackling an anemic endgame that is in need of actual new systems and durable content additions, no. Maybe you think it would be great to have to log in and do daily quests or something?

very blizz brain to not even consider the possibility that they could actually add, like, fun and interesting events and not strictly 'FOMO disposable weekly event "content" into the game in order to desperately cling to player mindshare.' no, the game does not need more of that crap; yes the game absolutely would benefit from any kind of cool, fun, or interesting events

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Pixelante posted:

So what happens to all my loot when the season ends? I understand that things just merge with Eternal, but that leaves me with pages of gear that won't fit in my Eternal chest unless I purge a lot of stuff.

the way D3 did it was you would be "mailed" all of your seasonal stash once the season ended, and you had 30 days to clean out your mail before it was deleted. yet to be seen if D4 will do the same thing

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
I’ve encountered the Butcher exactly once in two playthroughs. What gives? I pillar and ladder-gamed him the one time I met him and he got frustrated and left. Did I get blacklisted?

Posting about it here so he sees it.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Foulbrood posted:

I’ve encountered the Butcher exactly once in two playthroughs. What gives? I pillar and ladder-gamed him the one time I met him and he got frustrated and left. Did I get blacklisted?

I swear he pops up every single time I run a 25+ nm with monster ias or lifeleech.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Herstory Begins Now posted:

very blizz brain to not even consider the possibility that they could actually add, like, fun and interesting events and not strictly 'FOMO disposable weekly event "content" into the game in order to desperately cling to player mindshare.' no, the game does not need more of that crap; yes the game absolutely would benefit from any kind of cool, fun, or interesting events

Virtually all live service games that run events do so as a means of driving FOMO or pushing premium purchases. They are a tool to hook players by the jaw and get them to log in or else miss out permanently on something. If it wasn’t a FOMO driver, then it would just be permanent content.

Very blizz brain of me indeed to observe this basic truth, and not trust that D4’s version of events would magically be better than the entire rest of the industry’s standard practice. The OP I responded to originally cited FarmVille as an example to follow, so please forgive me for not envisioning the “cool, fun, interesting” ideas you apparently have in mind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uniques in a nutshell

I am a fireball sorcerer. Why would I ever equip this?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Scoss posted:

Virtually all live service games that run events do so as a means of driving FOMO or pushing premium purchases. They are a tool to hook players by the jaw and get them to log in or else miss out permanently on something. If it wasn’t a FOMO driver, then it would just be permanent content.

Very blizz brain of me indeed to observe this basic truth, and not trust that D4’s version of events would magically be better than the entire rest of the industry’s standard practice. The OP I responded to originally cited FarmVille as an example to follow, so please forgive me for not envisioning the “cool, fun, interesting” ideas you apparently have in mind.

that's fair

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Foulbrood posted:

I just did a 1-50 hc leveling run and got butcher 7 times

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Name Change posted:

Uniques in a nutshell

I am a fireball sorcerer. Why would I ever equip this?

Sorc uniques have all these maluses on them that don't exist for other classes. It's weird.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaytan posted:

I’ve seen a few folks reference this in the past several pages. Y’all understand that attack is a 2 parter, and it is telegraphed for several seconds before the marker appears on the ground, right?
Depends how it's telegraphed - if I'm supposed to be keeping my eyes on the boss for a unique animation, then I'm not watching my resources or cooldowns, or the floor for markers, or the periphery for mobs.

D4 is really bad at informational spacing, especially on console - there are multiple elements you're supposed to be keeping your eye on or you die fast, especially at higher tier play; and they're all spaced just far enough apart you can't easily track them peripherally.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Sorc uniques have all these maluses on them that don't exist for other classes. It's weird.

I don’t mind the negatives that come with the sorc class. It makes the choice to use the item dramatically change the way it’s played, as opposed to just damage numbers go up. The problem is for almost all of them the gain is about equal to the negative, kinda making them feel just weak. The only one I used was the frost nova one, because the versatility the second charge gave was well worth the longer cool-down -few fights ever last long enough to need a third.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

watchoutitsabear posted:

You can swap out a 2H sword for a 2H scythe but it isn’t optimal because of the inherent crit chance on swords. You can still get the same base stats but you lose 14% crit for I think life gain on kill which isn’t great. If it makes it any better there’s a few cool necro style sword transmogs.

If you want skelly friends you could start looking for gear to put together the Mendeln Summoner build but you have to use a wand and focus. It’s insanely good though. https://youtu.be/GIM1fFfbv9Y?si=9ADiEIYx4M7kndvv

I’ve used the above build to run a nm100 with a full party of level 75-85 folks and killed Lilith several times with it.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
The scythe life on kill is pretty useful if you run it with temerity (even though 2h sword is probably more optimal)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Pixelante posted:

e: Are any of the goon clans still particularly active? ABEL seems to only have 2-3 other people on during the times I'm playing. I understand that BG3 gutted the Diablo community, and rightly so, but it would be nice to run Nightmares with others for a change.

I'm also in ABEL, I just kinda assumed all goon guilds would be that dead. I'll try to holler out and invite everyone to nmd more often when I'm running them. I do either t100s with my necro for loot or t40-60 with my barb to level

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I don't post in guild chat because it's so annoying to do on console

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
The tilesets with the clunky sliding vertical doors. Opened one got detonated by a corpse bow far off screen.

Ok then. Scoot back, opened it from the side this time and it opened and the corpse bow had waddled its way over to the perfect angle to be there waiting for me as the elite instead teleported and froze me so I could eat the arrow lol.

Dickheads.

The second one was funny, but i don't think you should be able to get killed by anything you aren't aware exists yet. Fine. Thwack me for a lump of damage or whatever so now I'm extremely aware it's there, but instakill is just dickish and punishing players for the crime of not being able to see mobs that aren't on the screen.

Now ofc I'm evading into rooms spamming basic to just keep up might before I can proc disobedience and I'll still occasionally get thwapped by one of those boney rear end pricks.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pixelante posted:

I was going to direct you to WAFL, since they were recruiting people in the Discord and were full up (I was waiting on the next open space), but the person who was doing the inviting has apparently quit playing so I don’t know if anyone else there can help at this point.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So for a sorc(ice based if that matters), should I be/have been investing in Staves, or just sticking with Wands and Focuses?
Or does it not really matter?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So for a sorc(ice based if that matters), should I be/have been investing in Staves, or just sticking with Wands and Focuses?
Or does it not really matter?
I think sorcs pretty much always want a wand and focus. Their implicit stats are better, the focus in particular can get resource rolls which are very helpful, and two multiplicative aspects are stronger than one doubled aspect.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hardcore peeps, do you even attempt the butcher? Or do you just GTFO as fast as you can?

I was playing a hardcore character to get the trophy for getting level 50 in hardcore, and I didn't see him at all until level 48, at which point he showed up twice within 5 minutes of each other. Each time I noooooope'd the hell out of there. Wondering if there are people braver than I.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
a nm90 butcher was a little scary but i killed him, but at some point you gotta be able to take him down

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can’t keep living like you’re afraid of the Butcher

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not so sure I'd want to keep living if I couldn't defeat the Butcher

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Honestly the butcher is great and they should put in more surprise bosses like that.

That zixxarth thing is obnoxious but NMDs could have 3 affixes replaced with a nigh unkillable low damage obnoxious thing like that. If Zixx followed you through a nmd and his damage and HP went down as you killed and achieved objectives that would be neat.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Depends how it's telegraphed - if I'm supposed to be keeping my eyes on the boss for a unique animation, then I'm not watching my resources or cooldowns, or the floor for markers, or the periphery for mobs.

D4 is really bad at informational spacing, especially on console - there are multiple elements you're supposed to be keeping your eye on or you die fast, especially at higher tier play; and they're all spaced just far enough apart you can't easily track them peripherally.

What does that have to do with anything? The attack doesn't stop being telegraphed because you're not paying attention.

It's weird because there's an easy way to criticize that particular attack and it's that mobs can charge it up in the next room over and the final attack can be aimed through a wall and hit you. So the charge happens while mobs aren't actually visible and you can't see it. If you're going to let them shoot me through a wall at least have the decency to turn on sight for the mobs doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Foulbrood posted:

So after posting this I encountered him almost back-to-back in a couple of NMD runs. It werks! :v: