Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crepeface posted:

being "aware" of other ships doesn't necessitate that they have full awareness of all aspects of the ship so it is actually impossible to discern if a random civilian sailboat being in an area slated for military exercises is carrying 100kgs of dynamite or not.

It is more the type of mission they were doing needed specialized equipment for explosives that large and heavy and it most likely was going to require a more specialized vessel which was going to be noticeable.

Also, I think even NATO would keep track of a random ship going straight through their exercise area, especially hovering right around several important pipeline. If anything NATO would be more vigilant than usual because the Russians are right there.

The actual nationality of the divers and their funding is less important than this was something that NATO was aware of, and therefore gave permission to even if it didn’t involve a NATO vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
HERSH!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Yep I definitely believe it was just Ukraine who bombed the pipelines, with no assistance whatsoever. Certainly not from any country across the Atlantic Ocean

every poster who insisted it was impossible for ukraine to do because they didn't have the proper equipment will now insist it could be nobody but Ukraine alone lol, more likely they'll just say its russian disinfo and block it out

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I think people are getting the respective theories mixed up. Seymour Hersh says that the US planted timed explosives in June 2022 (during BALTOPS), which blew up in September 2022. The German investigators say that the Ukranians were supposedly planning on doing something during BALTOPS (this information was not passed on by NATO intelligence to the actual German Navy/pipeline agency), but ultimately ended up planting explosives sometime after September 6th.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

every poster who insisted it was impossible for ukraine to do because they didn't have the proper equipment will now insist it could be nobody but Ukraine alone lol, more likely they'll just say its russian disinfo and block it out

If that's what it takes for Europe to get on an exit ramp, I have no problem with it.

Plus it allows Germany a small chance to repair the pipeline. If it was blown up by Biden's Ninja Team 6, then there is zero chance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

The front page of Der Spiegel's English edition.

All the Evidence Points to Kyiv.

Germany needs to invoke article 5 to attack the true co-ordinator of this assault: Britain.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The perfidious British have threatened Europe for long enough, I call on Gunther to call for the immediate dismantling of Great Britain

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Germany needs to invoke article 5 to attack the true co-ordinator of this assault: Britain.

I mean, they had a bunch of ships around BALTROPS.

Also, they have a shot of the sailboat, it seems like a generic small pleasurecraft. The story says a “specialized submarine” wasn’t necessary but they don’t explain how you coordinate operations from a small sailboat.

Any news about how the aid bill is doing in Congress.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Aug 26, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

quote:

The investigators are lucky. Mola didn't clean the boat before storing it for the winter, and the saboteurs were the last people to charter the vessel. A plastic bottle "with apparently Polish labeling" is found next to the sink. Beneath the map table is a single "barefoot shoe."
God drat Ukrainians always leaving a single shoe around.

quote:

One of the men paid for the fuel in cash, pulling a striking number of large-denomination euro bills out of his pocket to do so – but he didn't leave a tip.
Are you supposed to tip harbourmasters in Germany?

quote:

With the help of a meter, investigators have determined that the crew didn't sail the ship and used the motor instead.
Slackers

quote:

"the crew of the yacht was checked by Polish border control officials" because they had raised suspicions. Perhaps because of the falsified documents used by the crew? Whatever triggered their concerns, the border control officials made a note of the personal information they had presented
This would be after the boat was loaded with 100s of pounds of explosives. I want to see what kind of question the border control guys asked and what the commandos answered.
Border Control: Business or pleasure?
Commando: A little bit of both.

quote:

Indeed, Washington thought Nord Stream 2 was so dangerous that it warned Germany that its completion would significantly harm U.S.-German relations.
Biden did more than that, he said he would bring an end to Nordstream 2. The article brings up some other suspects (especially Russia) but never brings the US up as a suspect.

quote:

Investigators, though, think that a total of less than 100 kilograms of explosives
Nice to see a solid number of the amount of explosives used.

quote:

The lead takes us to a large city in central Ukraine, to an abominable Soviet-era prefab residential building on the outskirts of Dnipro. The structure has eight, not entirely rosy-smelling entrances, a bar and a minimarket called Stella on the ground floor.
Liberals hate both cheap housing and the homeless so much.

quote:

But the perception among investigators is that the will to solve the case is not particularly pronounced in the capital. Politically, it is easier to live with what happened if it remains unclear who is behind the attacks. The process is not being hindered, but neither is there much support from the overarching government ministries. Meanwhile, it is clear to career-oriented ministry officials that there is no glory to be had with this case.
This has been quoted before but it needs to be quoted again. Zero interest in finding out who did a state-sponsored terror attack against critical infrastructure.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you dont think nato ships are aware of other ships in the area?

I think it’s funny to imagine that NATO is so would even bother to send warships out to investigate every single sailboat, even if that were possible (it’s not really, there are so many little boats all over the place). It’s a funny thing to imagine, but there are so many loving boats out on the water.

And sometimes sailboats and other boats just do not to broadcast their own position. This can be “sneaky” or it can just be any recreational boat that literally cannot broadcast its own position and is not required to have AIS.

Not every podunk fishing or recreational boat is rolling with radar and AIS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Realistically, little recreational boats, small yachts, sailboats, etc probably pass over gas lines, internet lines, power cables, etc thousands of times per day worldwide innocuously and with little real tracking.

If this was some 300+ ton diving support vessel camped out for a week with its AIS turned off, sure, that would be more noteworthy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tatankatonk posted:

not even saying that I don't think the US had a part in it but lol that the reaction to confirmation of ukraine attacking germany and the german government conspiring to cover it up is "ok but its not the specific events and timeline that I believe in. what are they hiding"

because if (just) Ukraine did it Germany wouldn’t cover it up. The cover up is for the courtesy of the red, white and blue, which means US involvement. You can hem, haw and hedge about it mlmpishly, but that’s bottom line.

What the gently caress is the Ukraine? Outside of Canada’s Deputy PM, none of the leadership actually cares about it, so them slipping the chain and causing damage - at the level of national strategy - to Germany, without American protection, sponsorship, facilitation, would not provoke a coverup but a response. An unimportant, unallied, country caused God knows how much damage to the nation?

For the leadership of any country, particularly one overwhelmingly more powerful than Ukraine like Germany, nobody’s going to slava for those motherfuckers and they’re not getting free tanks. The story as-written is that Ukraine declared war on Germany and Germany… sat on their hands… why?

Nothing Russia has done to Germany, or threatened to do to Germany, has been anywhere near that damaging. We’re talking about having to reshape national energy policy and industry, the foundation of the German economy, suffering as a result. The worst case result of Russia winning, either in Kiev those two weeks in February or a Hundred Days now, would not harm Germany to that degree. In fact, other than sanctions backfiring, Russia winning the war outright would cost Germany nothing.

So, this is not a worthwhile sacrifice to prevent… what?

The best possible result for Ukraine winning/”winning” this war does not come anywhere close to undoing or offsetting the damage. If attacked by Ukraine, without the Yanks, explain the strategic calculus and why Tornadoes weren’t going to Downtown Lwow and Kiev like it’s 1999.

(because the Yanks did it)

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Vivek... Nord... the time of the Fifth Era is at hand

But who recovered Prigozhin's Elder Scroll from the wreck of his plane?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Even if it was just the Ukrainians it wasn’t “just” the Ukrainians. No way do you pull shenanigans that big without your American handlers knowing and at minimum tacitly approving it. Imma go with Hersh on this one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can't SMERSH the Hersh!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
isnt zaluzhny the one being groomed to replace zelensky? wonder how much of a wrench this article throws into those plans lol

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

If attacked by Ukraine, without the Yanks, explain the strategic calculus and why Tornadoes weren’t going to Downtown Lwow and Kiev like it’s 1999.

well, respectfully, its probably that an entire government that is 1) personally, deeply psychologically invested in the narrative that Ukraine are the good guys 2) publicly staked to the position that Ukraine are the good guys worthy of political and military support is not going to spin on a dime and say Ukraine should be punished let alone attacked? I feel like the past couple years have totally exposed the idea of Europe as an independent foreign policy pole as a myth, and shown that European leaders are completely willing to suborn themselves to American interests even at the expense of their own people and sovereignty. The Germans sitting on this is protecting the US interest in the sense that they are willing to absorb damages to themselves in the name of the "Western" project

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

isnt zaluzhny the one being groomed to replace zelensky? wonder how much of a wrench this article throws into those plans lol

no one can replace zelenskyy, hes a real life superhero

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tatankatonk posted:

that an entire government that is personally, deeply psychologically invested in the narrative that Ukraine are the good guys

That's at odds with "damaged the nation on a massive scale through direct military action".

Like, I get it, there are a lot of ways to think of "good" in politics, particularly for liberals. If you want to simplify, under all of the narratives, there is "acts in the national interest" and "acts against the national interest". Today, of course, you can supersede that with borderless flows of capital and our mercenary ruling class, fine.

In both cases, people who attack the German nation directly - in ways that have been enumerated throughout this thread and remember last winter wasn't even that cold - and cause severe economic damage can't really be framed as the good guys, right? Good how? In realpolitik terms, they hurt the nation for no offset benefit. In idealist terms, they attacked the nation for no cause.

Now, you could say "Politicians in Berlin work for DC and finance in New York and London", and you'd be right, and that's a problem all countries are going to have to confront, but when you operate under that set of rules, you still aren't thinking about the Ukrainians as good guys in this situation, just a necessary proxy to break Russia and weaken China. If you support the bombing to that degree, you may as well save yourself the trouble and have Bundesmarine divers do it.

Which brings me back to, we'd be talking about Bush Did 9/11 levels of (charitably) willful blindness, without any of the upsides (for them, finance or the nation, I suppose in that order).

e: Which isn't to dismiss it out of hand,

but RAND writes from an American perspective, where extending Russia and forcing imports of American LNG suits the American national interest. No German policy writer would endorse the same thing - economically, domestically, internationally, it's all cons and no pros. So we would be talking about an honest to God dolchstoß AfD win majorities off of until Barbarossa wakes up from under the mountain. If people found out their politicians destroyed the German economy on purpose, and in a visceral way, not like finance guys destroying New York through a bond auction in the 70's, those Junkers trying to restore the Kaiser will be the least of their problems.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Aug 26, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ardennes posted:

It is more the type of mission they were doing needed specialized equipment for explosives that large and heavy and it most likely was going to require a more specialized vessel which was going to be noticeable.

Also, I think even NATO would keep track of a random ship going straight through their exercise area, especially hovering right around several important pipeline. If anything NATO would be more vigilant than usual because the Russians are right there.

The actual nationality of the divers and their funding is less important than this was something that NATO was aware of, and therefore gave permission to even if it didn’t involve a NATO vessel.

i was TRYING to post mlmp-ishly but he's here now so my labour is complete

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The rumours of a fall russian offensive after the Ukranian counter-offensive could be true. Better to do it before the additional western jets/tanks/equipments come in 2024 and Ukraine has probably taken around 75k--100k casualties during this offensive, considering how hard they are pushing this week.

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1695155317510730193

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That's at odds with "damaged the nation on a massive scale through direct military action".

I mean, it's at odds to you and me, but there's no actual rule that people have to regard the world through some kind of coherent heuristic, even if their actions add up to being part of a coherent sytem. people have enough room in their head to hold contradictory ideas and there's no reason to think they ever have to resolve them. People like Baerbock aren't going to go oh my god what have I done, and people like scholz aren't going to be like oh my god I need to change everything about my politics, they'll just adjust the facts of the situation in their head until it can be accomodated. of course, they can always be actually punished for this by losing to AfD, just like how liberal MIC bureaucrats run into the brick wall of not being able to make enough artillery shells for a war. but until the next election it'll be The Ukranians didn't do this, and if they did do it you can't prove it, and if you can prove it we can't do anything about it because of our strategic commitments, and if you say our strategic commitments are wrong it's because you love putler, etc.

quote:

Which brings me back to, we'd be talking about Bush Did 9/11 levels of (charitably) willful blindness, without any of the upsides (for them, finance or the nation, I suppose in that order).

Yeah, pretty much. What was the upside of 9/11, or Brexit, or the Vietnam War

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Yeah, pretty much. What was the upside of 9/11, or Brexit, or the Vietnam War

9/11 and Vietnam bought a lot of people really nice suburban houses. I assume Brexit was to further loot the country don't know how effective that was

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Should the West Fear Putin’s Fall?

quote:

Since the June 24 mutiny by the Wagner paramilitary group, which revealed so plainly the brittleness of the Russian regime, the possibility of a revolution, coup or other forced end of Putin’s 23-year reign has appeared more likely.

The war that Putin has unleashed on Ukraine continues to go badly. Russia’s generals and troops are now grumbling more openly about losses and failures as they fight to stop a Ukrainian offensive. The Russian president’s onetime aura of strength is steadily dissipating. Wagner’s uprising has “exposed the inexorable decay of the unstable autocracy over which Putin presides,” said Richard Moore, the head of the British Secret Intelligence Service, in a recent speech.

On all sides of the conflict, minds are increasingly focused on what a post-Putin Russia might look like. Would his successor be better or worse for Ukraine, the outside world, and Russians themselves? And what policy changes today could produce a desirable outcome?

Planning is difficult given the uncertainties of Russian politics and the West’s limited ability to exert influence there. And for all his current troubles, Putin, who turns 71 in October, could still be around for years to come. “You have to be very careful about making assumptions about what may happen,” said Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, a New Hampshire Democrat, who is a senior member of the Committee on Foreign Relations. “It may be a greater risk, and it may be a greater opportunity. We don’t have an answer to that yet.”

In the debate now taking place, Russian opposition groups, Ukraine and some of Russia’s immediate neighbors highlight the potential upside of Putin’s fall. Virtually anyone would be better than Putin, they say, for the simple reason that a successor wouldn’t own the war and would find it easier—and perhaps politically expedient—to extricate Russia from what is by far its deadliest conflict since World War II.

“As long as Putin is in place, the war will go on,” said Russian chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov, one of the leading personalities of the anti-Putin opposition in exile. “The one thing that we know with certainty is that Putin will continue the war until the very end, until the last dollar, until the last soldier. For him, war is the only way to maintain power.”

In Washington and some other Western capitals, however, the dominant mood is caution. To many officials, the Wagner revolt underscored the risks of a takeover by a more radical and less predictable Russian nationalist, who could unleash much deadlier repression to shore up the regime.

Despite making the catastrophic mistake of invading Ukraine, they say, Putin so far has refrained from executing enemies at home and has remained a calculating, rational actor when it comes to nuclear escalation. That may not be the case with a more impulsive and less experienced successor.

The ease with which Wagner mutineers advanced on Moscow before aborting their June uprising also conjured the possibility of a full collapse of the Russian state and its breakup into rival nuclear-armed fragments. Some Western officials who previously feared a strong Russia now dread the prospect of a Russia that’s too weak and unstable—a concern that has affected discussions of what sort of military aid to provide Kyiv.

“It’s hard to think that a successor to Putin is going to be any better,” Sen. Shaheen said. “The fact is that we’ve got an autocratic, dictatorial society where civil society groups have not been allowed to operate, where non-government organizations have been thrown out and where the media has been silenced.”

The one event most likely to trigger a regime change in Moscow in the foreseeable future would be a comprehensive Russian military defeat in Ukraine. But the war is nowhere near that point. The situation on the front lines has not been catastrophic for Russia so far this year. Ukraine’s long-anticipated offensive, launched in June, has made only limited gains, encountering stiff Russian resistance as Washington withheld long-range missiles requested by Kyiv and slow-rolled permissions to supply F-16 jet fighters owned by European allies.

Regardless of front-line developments, limiting military assistance to Ukraine over concerns about Russia’s domestic situation would be a strategic mistake, many Western officials argue.

In Ukraine, hopes run high that internal tensions in Russia would make it impossible for Moscow to continue prosecuting the war. Kyiv’s HUR military intelligence service is sponsoring Russian exile military formations that occasionally make cross-border raids into Russia’s Belgorod region and proclaim their desire to seize Moscow. Militarily useless but politically symbolic Ukrainian drone attacks on Moscow aim to embarrass Putin and make it harder for him to retain the support of Russian elites. HUR chief Maj. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov has even displayed in his office a map of Russia dismembered into several independent statelets.

“Anyone else coming to power after Putin will have the ability to be more flexible and more moderate, not because he is a better person but because doing so would be more advantageous to him,” said Andriy Zagorodnyuk, Ukraine’s former minister of defense. “These are intelligent people, and they understand perfectly well what they are doing. When the day comes, they will be running one after another, shouting that they were the first who had tried to do something to stop this.”

The trajectory of Wagner owner Yevgeny Prigozhin, who remains a political force in Russia after striking a deal with Putin to abort the June rebellion, appears to validate such hopes. Initially one of the most ferocious advocates of the war in Ukraine, Prigozhin declared in June that it had been based on false premises and could have been avoided if Putin had shown enough flexibility, though he stopped short of calling for a withdrawal. Many Russian liberal opposition leaders, and even some of the Ukrainian-backed Russian insurgents, voiced their support for his march on Moscow.

“Prigozhin was clearly part of a group that sought to end a war that is impossible to win,” Kasparov said. “He is a scoundrel and a war criminal, but he looks at things differently. The fact that Prigozhin would send Putin to The Hague should he find it to be expedient one day is beyond doubt.”

Much will depend on how any future change in the Kremlin occurs. The best hope for peace may lie in a choreographed succession that happens with the agreement of the main factions of Russia’s elites, said Samuel Greene, a professor of Russian politics at King’s College London.

A regime that retains unity and control over the state propaganda machine could “explain to people that Putin was a war criminal and that he lied to people and there was no reason to go to war,” he said. A return to competitive politics, by contrast, could complicate that task: “It becomes very difficult to see an elected leader winning votes by explaining to people that they were being lied to and that they were wrong.”

Elites who disagree over Putin’s succession could also fight it out in the streets rather than at the ballot box, said Marat Gelman, a former Putin adviser and one-time senior state TV executive who has now embraced the anti-regime opposition. “The threat of a civil war is evident,” he said. “Putin has destroyed all the institutions. If he leaves power, the regions will no longer submit to the center the way they do now.”

In any case, given the tensions bubbling up within Russia, the country’s next leader would likely have to focus first on consolidating power at home and fending off rivals. “Anybody after Putin could be worse than Putin,” said Reinhard Bütikofer, a German member of the European Parliament. “But he would certainly be weaker than Putin.”

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm curious if the Americans had the forethought to have Ukrainian Naval Commandos covertly charter a boat out to BALTOPS, because they were training with the Brits during that whole period, told them it was preparation for a strike on Crimea or something, maybe did some bullshit training and sent them home. In which case, if I was one of those guys I would try to disappear as quickly as possible before something bad happens to me.

Well as Hersh said, they used a timer, which was why there were faults and not all explosives detonated. Which reminds me, we still haven't heard a peep about the explosives that were recovered later by whichever Nordic country. I imagine that will be the next piece of evidence uncovered stitching Ukraine up?

Now, for my first point, it would be comically easy to have wannabe HSLD guys do something for training/selection that can be disavowed as illegal after the fact. The Close Protection course and one other that I know about requires you to gain access to a civilian building without being caught as part of a skill check. When it was in Edmonton, you had to get up to the rooftop of an office building.

Now, if you got caught, DND would take care of it, I'm assuming they had made arrangements with the owners and the local police, worst case someone could explain the pressing national security need, but you'd be sent home. I don't think you were allowed to cause property damage, like breaking a window, to force access, but it could all be called criminal trespassing if you were caught.

So telling these frogmen they need to covertly charter or steal a boat, just to go on a training exercise would be entirely in character. JTF and JSOC sometime deploy to exercises "covertly" without Green Passports or NATO travel orders, which again, is 50% Cool Guy showing off.

Bing bang boom, "uncover" the Ukrainian "operation" that they all thought was training when it becomes convenient to gently caress over Ukraine.

the failed crimea raid was to get their scapegoats killed so that they wouldn't be able to contradict the story :tinfoil:

Danann has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Aug 26, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

i say swears online posted:

i wonder how true it is that yanukovych was in minsk waiting for the initial offensive to succeed to be installed as president

there are three sources for this on wikipedia: ukraine pravda, fortune magazine, and india tv but they use ukrainian intelligence as a source

India TV used to make epic documentaries about how you could find the runway from ramayana in sri lanka. Its really not a "respectable journalistic institution."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

India TV used to make epic documentaries about how you could find the runway from ramayana in sri lanka. Its really not a "respectable journalistic institution."

look maybe atlantis was hindutva but we need more evidence to decide

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavyangrad posted:

“Greece will terminate the contract with Russia for the maintenance of the Tor and Osa air defense systems: the Greeks, under the guise of refusing service, are preparing to transfer the air defense system to Kiev, leaving themselves with nothing.

“The end of the era of Russian weapons systems in the Greek armed forces - the government has decided to abandon the weapons support program and not sign new support contracts. In a top-secret document leaked to Parliament, National Defense Minister Nikos Dendias announces that there will be no new support contracts, i.e. the purchase of spare parts and services, for Tor-M1 short-range mobile anti-aircraft missile systems and older Osa-AKM.
The available spare parts will last only a few months, thus the countdown to their complete incapacitation has begun. The cost of Russian systems that are “thrown in the trash” is more than 1 billion euros, and this is the amount the country will have to spend. These systems may eventually be redirected through third countries to Ukraine.
In total, the Greek army has 21 Tor-M1 and 38 Osa-AKM. The systems are old but reliable. Received about 20 years ago, they remain indispensable.
The decision to withdraw them is purely political. The priority now is to find resources to replace them. The armed forces cannot be deprived of such weapons.”

#source
@Slavyangrad
Join SLG 🔺 Intelligence Briefings, Strategy and Analysis, Expert Community
(from t.me/Slavyangrad/60322, via tgsa)

speaking of which greece doesn't need air defense when it can be buying f35s and patriots instead

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

speaking of which greece doesn't need air defense when it can be buying f35s and patriots instead

europe's streak of being the fail continent continues

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

Cackling and twirling my villainous waxed moustache from a hot air balloon as the EU continues to disarm peacemeal.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Vivek... Nord... the time of the Fifth Era is at hand

The boat was undetected because azura shielded it from NATO detection!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Demilitarization of NATO.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A similar situation came up in one of my recent Pathfinder 5E campaign sessions, and one of the players at my table made a very memorable speech (in character):

"In the realm of geopolitical intrigue, should it come to pass that the enigmatic operatives of the Northern Narlmarches, shrouded in secrecy, indeed orchestrated the detonation of the enchanted leyline, it shall cast no perturbing shadow upon the tapestry of my convictions concerning this grand conflict. Forsooth, they wage a valiant struggle, defending their sacred homeland against the incursion of an imperialistic aggressor, as though heroes defending the realm against a draconic invader."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Death By The Blues posted:

The rumours of a fall russian offensive after the Ukranian counter-offensive could be true. Better to do it before the additional western jets/tanks/equipments come in 2024 and Ukraine has probably taken around 75k--100k casualties during this offensive, considering how hard they are pushing this week.

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1695155317510730193

I'll believe it when I see it, but then again I genuinely wonder if the russians are competent or capable of pulling off an actual concentrated offensive given that they've lost the element of surprise and the ukranians have had time to prepare for it. also, what sort of goals could they actually go for? there's no way they'll be able to make another run for Kharkov, so maybe just more modest goals like Slaveyansk/Kramatorsk?

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - After Russia took significant losses in the Kupyansk and Lyman directions, Russia is being forced into regrouping its forces and capabilities, while transferring newly formed brigades and divisions from the territory of the Russian Federation.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-air-drone-strikes-eastern-front/32564271.html

Russia Reinforcing Troops Ahead Of Renewed Offensive In 'Tense' East, Ukrainian General Says

KYIV -- Russian forces are regrouping and sending in reinforcements in preparation of resuming their offensive in the east of Ukraine, General Oleksandr Syrskiy, commander of Ukraine's ground forces, said on August 25.

"After a month of fierce fighting and significant losses in the Kupyansk and Lyman directions, the enemy is regrouping its forces and capabilities, while transferring newly formed brigades and divisions from the territory of the Russian Federation," Syrskiy wrote on Telegram.

Even while conducting its preparations, Russian troops “continue to exert a powerful fire influence from artillery and mortars” and are “actively using aviation” in their attacks, Syrskiy said, adding that Ukrainian forces are “taking all measures to strengthen our defense in threatened areas and move forward where possible.”

“The operational situation in the eastern direction remains tense,” he added.

Syrskiy’s comments come after Russia said it had thwarted a massive wave of drone attacks on occupied Crimea and a missile strike on Kaluga as Ukraine's military reported deadly air and drone strikes on its regions.

Russia's Defense Ministry said on August 25 in a statement that its air defenses neutralized a total of 73 drones over the past 24 hours, 42 of them over Crimea.

"Seventy-three Ukrainian unmanned aerial vehicles have been either shot down or jammed by electronic means over the past day," the ministry said.

The Moscow-appointed head of Sevastopol region in Crimea, Mikhail Razvozhayev, said several drones had been destroyed over the sea off Crimea's Cape Khersones.

The Russian ministry also said a Ukrainian missile was downed in Kaluga, a region just southwest of Moscow, while Russian Telegram channels reported blasts in the sky above the Kaluga, Tula, and Moscow regions, likely caused by antiaircraft fire.

Telegram channel Baza reported that the missile was shot down near the Shaikovka military airfield in Kaluga region, some 300 kilometers southwest of Moscow.

Two major Moscow airports, Vnukovo and Domodedovo, temporarily ceased operations, Russian TASS news agency reported.

There we no immediate reports of casualties or damages.

Moscow and its surrounding have been targeted frequently by drone attacks in recent weeks.

Meanwhile, the General Staff of the Ukrainian military reported Russian air and missile attacks on Ukraine overnight, adding that there were casualties among civilians.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - This week's first GOP presidential debate — and recent comments on Ukraine by Trump, who leads in polling for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination — shows that previous bipartisan backing of Ukraine will face a stress test as the campaign intensifies and the leading Republican contenders show antipathy toward American backing of Ukraine.

https://www.voanews.com/a/kremlin-denies-claims-it-masterminded-prigozhin-s-reported-death/7241609.html

US Support for Ukraine May Be Waning as Presidential Election Nears
August 25, 2023 4:34 PM
update August 25, 2023 8:26 PM

The handling of the war in Ukraine isn't as significant to American voters as the economy, health care, immigration, abortion and some other issues.

Polling suggests that concerns about the costs of the war resonate with working-class Republican primary voters, says Christopher Borick, director of the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion in Pennsylvania.

An AP-NORC poll conducted in January 2023 shows that almost a year after Russia's invasion of Ukraine in 2022, support by Democrats had dropped from 71% to 63% while Republican support had dropped more, from 53% to 39%.

The United States has committed more than $60 billion in aid to Ukraine since the beginning of Russia's full-scale invasion. That includes more than $43 billion in military aid.

Dozens of Republicans in the House, and some GOP senators, have expressed reservations about — and even voted against — spending more federal dollars on the war in Ukraine. Many of those Republicans are aligning with former President Donald Trump's objections to U.S. involvement overseas.

This week's first GOP presidential debate — and recent comments on Ukraine by Trump, who leads in polling for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination — shows that previous bipartisan backing of Ukraine will face a stress test as the campaign intensifies and the leading Republican contenders show antipathy toward American backing of Ukraine.

Borick said U.S. President Joe Biden is not likely to win votes solely on his handling of Ukraine. But how the war plays out in the months ahead could help or diminish the president's broader argument about his administration's competency and success at restoring U.S. leadership on the international stage after four years of Trump's "American first" foreign policy approach.

"Right now, Ukraine isn't as prominent an issue for voters, but we're seeing conservative presidential contenders such as Trump, [Vivek] Ramaswamy and [Florida Governor Ron] DeSantis setting the stage questioning how much U.S. treasure we're spending over there that we could be spending at home," he said.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Ukrainian forces have penetrated Russian defenses along part of the southern front lines in Zaporizhzhia region and are expanding a wedge toward the strategic town of Tokmak, while stepping up attacks on Russian-occupied Crimea.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/25/europe/ukraine-offensive-robotyne-intl/index.html

Ukrainian forces appear to widen breach of Russian defenses on southern front lines
By Tim Lister, Josh Pennington, Olga Voitovych and Anna Chernova, CNN
Updated 7:25 PM EDT, Fri August 25, 2023

Signs are growing that Ukrainian forces have penetrated Russian defenses along part of the southern front lines in Zaporizhzhia region and are expanding a wedge toward the strategic town of Tokmak, while stepping up attacks on Russian-occupied Crimea.

The Ukrainian General Staff said Friday there had been further success in two areas – towards the village of Novoprokopivka and further east in the direction of another small settlement, Ocheretuvate.

Earlier this week, the Ukrainians said they had secured the village of Robotyne. Fighting continues to the south of that village.

The General Staff said units “are consolidating their positions, inflicting artillery fire on the identified enemy targets, and conducting counter-battery operations.”

Ukraine’s highly anticipated counteroffensive has been underway for weeks with fighting focused along the eastern and southern fronts.

Kyiv launched the campaign in the hope of recapturing territory seized by Russia. But so far, any gains have been small and painfully fought for.

Now, several Russian military bloggers are painting a gloomy picture of the front line situation for Moscow’s forces in parts of the south.

One of the best-known of these, “WarGonzo,” said the Ukrainians had gained a foothold in Robotyne “and are attacking Novoprokopivka, which is under heavy shelling.”

Ukrainian forces have also launched a parallel attack in the Verbove area to the east – amid heavy artillery fire in both directions.

A blogger called “Rogozin at the front,” who is linked to the Russian 58th Combined Arms Army, said there had been an accumulation of enemy armored vehicles.

“The enemy is gathering forces for a decisive blow. They need to reach Verbove, then Tokmak,” he wrote. “We’re holding out.”

Another blogger, “Belorusky silovik” [Belarusian Enforcer], said “the biggest worry right now is Robotyne. The boys are having it really hard there. By the evening the fighting was already going on in the south of the settlement, where the enemy was.”

“It is objectively beginning to feel that there is a lack of new blood at the front,” the blogger wrote.

“Otryady Kadyrovtsy” [Kadyrov Detachments] painted a similar picture, saying: “Heavy fighting continues in the Robotyne area. The bastards are rapidly advancing, covered by artillery strikes.”

The blog said Ukraine was using aviation to cover advancing infantry and had brought more ammunition supplies into the area of Mala Tokmachka.

Other sources report that Ukrainian forces are suffering heavy losses. The Russian Defense Ministry claimed that 110 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed in the latest fighting, and western armor supplied to Ukraine destroyed.

And Yevgeniy Balitskiy, the Russian-appointed governor of occupied Zaporizhzhia, said Friday that “at the cost of colossal losses yesterday the [Ukrainians] were able to reach the first defensive line of engineering barriers, but they move mostly even without artillery support.”

“As a consequence, the enemy’s assault groups, which yesterday managed to reach the first defensive line, were completely destroyed overnight,” he added.

Other Russian sources have made similar claims about substantial Ukrainian losses inflicted by Russian airpower and artillery.

But Pozyvnoi Osetin, another Russian military blogger, reported that “losses on both sides are not insignificant.”

“All the commanders on both sides are now concerned only about Robotyne. Fighting continues every minute,” they added.

Another Russian blogger said this was a critical moment on the battlefield, adding that Russian forces need to hold their positions for at least another month and a half to try to make gains in another area of the frontline and attempt to shift the battlefield situation.

On Thursday, the spokeswoman for Ukraine’s southern command, Nataliya Humenyuk, said Russian forces were bringing more forces to the Zaporizhzhia area from Kherson to the south, due to the heavy casualties among units already there.

Yurii Malashko, head of Zaporizhzhia region military administration, said there were almost no buildings left standing in Robotyne after weeks of fighting in the area.

“Our soldiers are slowly moving forward, but the mine barriers they [the Russians] have set up are very large, and it takes time to get through them.”

In its latest assessment, the Washington DC-based Institute for the Study of War (ISW) said Ukrainian forces “advanced closer to the Russian second line of defense in the Robotyne area … further widening their breach of Russian defensive lines in the area.”

ISW said “Russia’s lack of operational reserves will force the Russian command to conduct additional redeployments as Ukrainian counteroffensive operations continue to degrade defending Russian forces in several sectors of the front.”

Kyiv pushing to break Russian land-bridge

Ukrainian attacks in the area are part of Kyiv’s effort to push down to the Sea of Azov.

The area is a major target for Ukraine as pushing deep into the territory would mean breaking Russia’s land-bridge between annexed Crimea and eastern Donetsk.

The ISW previously said even marginal gains by Ukraine in this area are significant.

“The Ukrainian forces’ ability to advance to the outskirts of Robotyne – which Russian forces have dedicated significant effort, time, and resources to defend – remains significant even if Ukrainian gains are limited at this time,” the ISW said.

At the same time, Kyiv has been increasing attacks on Crimea.

Ukrainian drone attacks in the early hours of Friday appear to have caused some damage, according to both Ukrainian officials and Russian military bloggers, and follow a series of Ukrainian attacks this week on Russian air defenses and missile sites on the western coast of Crimea.

On Friday, the Russian Defense Ministry said 42 Ukrainian drones had been destroyed, and Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov described the drone attacks as “terrorist activity – because for the most part, it is aimed at residential buildings.”

Boris Rozhin, a Russian military blogger, noted that the drone attacks were “the most massive drone raid on Crimea in recent months … The choice of targets for the strike is quite understandable: important airfields, air defense position areas, training camps.”

Kyrylo Budanov, head of Ukraine’s Defense Intelligence, told Ukrainian television Friday that “the importance of this operation, first of all, is to make people believe - people not even on the territory of mainland Ukraine, but in Crimea - to remember and believe that victory is not far off. And their liberation is not far off either.”

“When there are, let’s say, certain strikes on the territory of Crimea, it will not end there - there will be a ground operation, there will be the return of our territories,” he added.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Western establishment media (Wall Street Journal) continues to build the case for the West cutting its losses on Ukraine

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-25/ukraine-slow-offensive-against-russia-buoys-putin

Ukraine’s Slow Offensive Buoys Putin and Worries Allies
By Alberto Nardelli, Natalia Drozdiak, and Alex Wickham
August 25, 2023 at 12:07 PM UTC

Ukraine’s allies now worry the war is dragging into a long fight that may strengthen Vladimir Putin’s hand as hopes fade that Kyiv’s forces will deliver a definitive breakthrough this year.

More than two months into its counteroffensive, Kyiv has so far managed to make only tactical advances against heavily dug-in Russian forces, despite having committed many of the units trained and armed by the US and Europe for the operation. The window for further big actions is narrowing as wet and cold weather looms in the autumn.

Ukraine and its allies vow to keep up the fight as long as needed, but officials concede it will be a tall order to repeat the levels of massive support that made the current push possible. Stocks of ammunition in particular are depleted and production in the US and Europe won’t be ramped up until late 2024. F-16 fighters likely won’t arrive until next year, either.

Some of Ukraine’s supporters still see a chance its forces will break through Russian lines this year before the wet, cold weather sets in and complicates operations on Ukraine’s muddy steppes. Ukraine has confounded expectations and surprised Russia several times over the 18-month conflict, with the Kremlin yet to achieve any of its original goals.

Cluster munitions supplied by the US in recent weeks have helped Kyiv’s troops push Russian forces back, allowing advances beyond the first line of defenses in some areas, according to people familiar with the matter.

But as the offensive stretches on, sustaining aid is getting harder politically in the US. The fight to pass the next funding bill for Ukraine in Congress this fall is expected to be the toughest yet and this week’s Republican presidential candidate debate underlined the growing hostility in the party toward sending weapons and aid to Kyiv.

European officials worry President Joe Biden may eventually look to nudge Ukraine toward negotiations in the absence of significant battlefield progress as the campaign heats up next year.

Continued US support to Ukraine remains essential because Europe alone doesn’t have the military capacity to sufficiently bolster Kyiv’s forces, the people said. The Biden administration has repeatedly said it will back Ukraine for as long as it takes and has gradually increased the heft of weapons it’s providing Kyiv.

If fighting grinds to an impasse over the winter, “it’s a really big problem, there’s going to be war fatigue,” said Samantha de Bendern, an associate fellow at the Royal Institute of International Affairs. “The US is going to be less and less interested in what’s happening in Ukraine and it’s going to be more and more difficult for Europeans to convince the Americans that Ukraine is an American problem.”

Russia, meanwhile, has managed to get around allied attempts to starve its war effort of key components and has enough munitions for at least another year of fighting, the people said, noting that the Kremlin also has been able to continue bringing new troops to the front despite huge losses. Putin’s assessment is that a long war of attrition gives Russia an advantage, allied officials said, putting the onus on the US and Europe to prove him wrong.

The death of mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin, who staged a brazen but abortive mutiny in June, has cemented Putin’s control— at least for the moment. Prigozhin’s Wagner forces have largely pulled out of Ukraine.

Earlier this year, the US and Europe were optimistic about significant progress as they poured armored vehicles, missile systems and other weapons into Ukraine, sending entire units for training in NATO countries. That hope has been replaced with a grudging recognition that even advanced weapons and tactics aren’t enough to rapidly defeat Russia’s massive and still-capable defenses.

This assessment of Ukraine’s efforts to repel Russia out of its territory is based on documents seen by Bloomberg and conversations with multiple officials who asked for anonymity to discuss sensitive information.

After head-on attempts to breach Russian lines without sufficient air cover yielded major losses in the first weeks of the counteroffensive, Ukrainian forces shifted tactics. Kyiv sought to wear its opponent down with long-range strikes on artillery and supply lines, probing with troops across a broad front. Advances have been slow.

The US would have preferred Ukraine stick with concentrated efforts to punch through Russian lines. But without enough air support to suppress Russian defenses, Ukraine would have faced even more punishing losses that would have been difficult to sustain.

That approach hasn’t delivered the kind of lightning victories that Ukraine had a year ago.
Those successes had emboldened its leadership and allies to step up the fight to drive Russian troops from the roughly Portugal-sized swath of territory they still occupy.

Publicly, Kyiv and its allies deny the war is heading into some form of a stalemate this year, but privately, some officials warn that’s increasingly likely as gains on the ground come only slowly.

One of the diplomats said that given the rate of attrition and the resources at Ukraine’s disposal, Kyiv’s more calculated strategy was on balance the right call despite the added time it requires to execute.

Early Thursday, Ukrainian commandos staged a raid in occupied Crimea in a symbolic move on the nation’s Independence Day. Ukrainian troops also reported progress near the town of Robotyne in the south, where they are fighting through Russian minefields and trench systems in a push aimed at cutting off the Kremlin’s land bridge to its forces in Crimea.

Robotyne is tactically significant because a Ukrainian advance in the area may allow Kyiv’s forces to begin operating past the densest Russian minefields, analysts from the Institute for the Study of War said earlier this week.

But the heavy use of mines, combined with Russia’s air power, has been a particular challenge. Russian forces have relaid minefields and re-erected obstacles using artillery and helicopters as Ukrainians push toward or through frontlines — and in some cases have redeployed mines behind the Ukrainian forces — one Western intelligence official said. While more demining equipment would help, Ukraine also needs short-range air defense systems to help protect the advancing units, the official said.

While the Kremlin remains convinced it can outlast the US and its allies, its war effort has also faced headwinds as the conflict drags on. Recruiting is on pace to deliver only 230,000 new troops this year, short of the Kremlin’s 400,000 target, according to a UK official. That’s hampered its ability to mount new offensives, especially with its own minefields limiting room for operations.

But even that reduced flow of fresh forces is still quite substantial. And Russia has been successful at ramping up its ammunition and other supplies. It has enough ammunition of various kinds for about a year because they’ve been able to import sanctioned components or substitute them, allowing them to produce at a rate faster than in Europe by adapting and cutting corners, one official said.

Another variable that may determine the shape of a lengthier war is the stability of Putin’s regime in the longer term. Prigozhin’s alleged assassination will have signification implications, even if those take time to play out. As one official noted, the mercenary leader’s death won’t cover up the weakness that his insurrection exposed nor undo the damage to Putin’s image.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Officer Sandvich posted:

Should the West Fear Putin’s Fall?

Much will depend on how any future change in the Kremlin occurs. The best hope for peace may lie in a choreographed succession that happens with the agreement of the main factions of Russia’s elites, said Samuel Greene, a professor of Russian politics at King’s College London.

A regime that retains unity and control over the state propaganda machine could “explain to people that Putin was a war criminal and that he lied to people and there was no reason to go to war,” he said. A return to competitive politics, by contrast, could complicate that task: “It becomes very difficult to see an elected leader winning votes by explaining to people that they were being lied to and that they were wrong.”

Anti-democracy kleptocrat propaganda is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
One of the simplest tells is : are western powers acting like they just witnessed key geopolitically strategic infrastructure can be knocked out by a few guys on a yacht.

It's 2023 and I still have to take my shoes off at an airport because someone once failed to blow up a plane that way.

Or are they more acting like, "Jesus Christ don't even mildly publicly push back against US foreign policy on Ukraine, the US is not loving around" which would imply...