Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BMan posted:

what is their plan here? do they think running a city is profitable?

i honestly have no idea, but the nyt article said one of the aims is to be "as walkable as paris" so presumably it would require similar density?

if they're planning on building a major city i think they're going to need some stuff to already be there but idk i'm not a titan of industry. zoning seems to be a very big problem regardless, that land is going to be literally worthless for farming pretty soon if it's not already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Beeftweeter posted:

i honestly have no idea, but the nyt article said one of the aims is to be "as walkable as paris" so presumably it would require similar density?

I don't believe that any of these people have ever walked anywhere in their lives

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the vision is probably "sf but without nimbys blocking denser development"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

post hole digger posted:

turns out the group buying up a bunch of land in solano county and sending out fliers to solano county residents about what theyd think about building a new town from scratch on ag-zoned land is a whos who of tech goblin oligarchs. this has been something the sf chronicle has been covering for the last few weeks and was even written about in the wsj recently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/25/...&smid=url-share

edit: its a huge swath of land they want to build homes for 200k people on:

its hot af out there in the summer in case anyone was wondering

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BMan posted:

I don't believe that any of these people have ever walked anywhere in their lives

when people like that think of "walkable cities" they think of shopping areas like the stanford shopping center and the city walk in LA, not paris.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

tina tomatoes tina beans some mince (ground beef) and you’re 99% of the way to a meal that’ll make you say yum
Was really confused about this until i realized you were attempting to spell "a tin of". Anyways i hope this helps other readers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

Sure but do they mean Paris, Maine or Paris, Ohio?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

paris, france, is a real bad walkability example in europe, so hoping that's not the standard

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's so much parking that you can walk right to your car in a few easy steps

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

paris, france, is a real bad walkability example in europe, so hoping that's not the standard
It's apparently gotten a lot better for biking very quickly in the past five years or so and I'm not sure but it seems possible that it's gotten better for walking as well

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i think it would be hilarious if they managed to create a completely regulation-free californian kowloon city immediately at the end of the airforce base runway

if the airplanes scraping against the roof rattle your fillings out, you can rest assured that thousands of unlicensed dentists packed into flophouses will fight one another for the right to replace them

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont because if they did it'd be gig workers living there, not the people who created it

however if it's all tech bro ai stans working there i am 100% with you, that's funny a f

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internet Janitor posted:

i think it would be hilarious if they managed to create a completely regulation-free californian kowloon city immediately at the end of the airforce base runway

if the airplanes scraping against the roof rattle your fillings out, you can rest assured that thousands of unlicensed dentists packed into flophouses will fight one another for the right to replace them

extra double funny because the original kowloon walled city was also height capped by an airport approach route

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

its hot af out there in the summer in case anyone was wondering

a not insignificant part of it is a flood plain too.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember when beatport2.0 was all flex and air and had to be killed to death 4 years later and the rebuilt site was miserable and only got working fully like 3 weeks ago lol

lol

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

maybe if they weren’t colossal abusive dicks for the past year we would have ONLY hit them with the kind of considerable ‘market adjustment’ that we’re dropping on everyone’s laps. nope. sorry assholes. literally everyone in this company loathes you guys. no mercy at all. we’re going larry ellison on your asses

b2b procurement people constantly misunderstand that the pricing you receive can are +/- 25% by whether or not you are a massive awful prick to your suppliers or not. people are still people and they will bite back even if we all pretend this is some objective cost driven process.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rotor posted:

when people like that think of "walkable cities" they think of shopping areas like the stanford shopping center and the city walk in LA, not paris.

i literally never think of la if i'm not being forced to

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I still lol at the time someone at work said that in the future "all put applications will use Adobe flex so we won't need to do so much development"

I think they were *still* running some flex applications when I left and paying some weird company for the support

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

in other news:

https://opentf.org/announcement

hashicorp enters the "find out" phase, as fourteen full time devs have been pledged from "several" organizations to maintain an open-source fork of terraform.

quite how this shadowy and anonymous project managed to get launched so quickly is anybody's guess, and i can think of a number of much more critical open-source projects that would love to have even half that many full-time funded developers assisting with their efforts.

i have no basis for this claim whatsoever but it kind of has a shitcoin stink about it.

hashicorp has a lotta counter-implementers who do terraform support better than they do because they basically have less than 5 devs on their ostensibly main product. the counter-implementers mack on hashicorps space, hashicorp's counterplay was to do this busl bullcrap, this is the counter-implementers' counter-counter-play

terraform is pretty fuckin important for business usage, and the server-clientiness to it means that it's important for peeps uptime

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i can count on zero hands the number of times ive been glad that my web browser has hardware accelerated 3d

this site is neat and i think more companies should do it. https://my.deejo.com/en/27/titanium/olive/none/none/tree?currency=USD

i am thinking of having something like this as a project in the advanced 3d rendering seminar.

Shame Boy posted:

(the chart says ATC has to give you explicit permission to use it, even)

technically if you have a tower they always have to give you explicit permission to use any runway :eng101:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

this site is neat and i think more companies should do it. https://my.deejo.com/en/27/titanium/olive/none/none/tree?currency=USD

i am thinking of having something like this as a project in the advanced 3d rendering seminar.

technically if you have a tower they always have to give you explicit permission to use any runway :eng101:

you should teach geometry nodes instead

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

that is pretty cool but lol $80 pocket knife

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

that is pretty cool but lol $80 pocket knife

it also looks really unergonomic

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i think this page is a much better example of why 3d rendering deserves to exist in browsers:

https://ciechanow.ski/mechanical-watch/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the roddenberry archive thingy was really cool too but i think it used server-side rendering and seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth at any rate

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

i think this page is a much better example of why 3d rendering deserves to exist in browsers:

also yeah this owns

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Janitor posted:

that's super cool

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

at the old apartment i was really close to the airport and directly under the approach path for the third runway that's at a right angle to the other two, which they rarely use (the chart says ATC has to give you explicit permission to use it, even) cuz it overflies a bunch of residential areas. so it was perfectly fine except like one day a month when they had to use it for whatever reason, at which point there would be a landing 737 flying incredibly, almost worryingly low passing over my apartment every 5-10 minutes. it was cool to see but also the buildings were kinda set up in a way that blocked the sound until it was RIGHT over you so a plane would just suddenly appear overhead flying really low with the landing gear out and the flaps down and all that

taking off they'd be much higher by the time they passed overhead so that wasn't a big deal, but landings were loud and terrifying

I live near the approach to Burbank. I’m a plane nerd though so I like the flyovers and tip my bong at the Southwest jets. I can see if i lived directly under the path it wouldn’t be so fun.

I can tell when Biden or Harris is coming because C5s and V22s start showing up. The military generally is good about their stuff but they also do things like just cut into the approach, which for a V22 is something you feel because those are loud as hell, I’ve had my apartment rocked by one doing that and it’s unusual because they usually fly the whole approach, RUDY33 didn’t give a gently caress.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

excel? tabular hypercard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKf8TrLUOw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was thinking about that stupid techbro utopia and man it's kinda good they're trying to do this in 2023 vs. like 2003

20ish years ago i could see them getting away with buying it up and rezoning it no problem. hell the state probably would've just given it to them under a perpetual tax moratorium. i feel like they're going to face a lot more resistance today

plus i mean, a city of 200,000+ requires a lot of water, probably way more than the dying farms that are already there. wouldn't have really been an issue back then

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for the water i just did the math. at a density approximating los angeles it would be about half the water usage per acre, if you compare to alfalfa crops.

so if they actually make it “walkable” then yeah the water use per area is probably pretty similar.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

for the water i just did the math. at a density approximating los angeles it would be about half the water usage per acre, if you compare to alfalfa crops.

so if they actually make it “walkable” then yeah the water use per area is probably pretty similar.

afaik LA isn't all that dense and isn't walkable at any rate. since they're explicitly inviting the comparison, how would it compare to paris? wiki says it's the 30th densest "city proper" in the world

e: lol did not expect anywhere in the us to be in the top 50, let alone union and hoboken (and west new york is also a city in new jersey). nj ftw, i told y'all it's dense

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 26, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

afaik LA isn't all that dense and isn't walkable at any rate. since they're explicitly inviting the comparison, how would it compare to paris? wiki says it's the 30th densest "city proper" in the world

e: lol did not expect anywhere in the us to be in the top 50, let alone union and hoboken. new jersey ftw, i told y'all it's dense
I think that mostly just depends on how you're defining the areas. In New Jersey there happen to be a bunch of tiny municipalities that happen to be entirely contained in dense areas, but I don't think that actually tells you very much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

I think that mostly just depends on how you're defining the areas. In New Jersey there happen to be a bunch of tiny municipalities that happen to be entirely contained in dense areas, but I don't think that actually tells you very much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

6 out of the top 10 are in new jersey

e: worth noting los angeles itself doesn't even crack the top 140

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 26, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

OK, but my actual point, having lived in Union City, is that yes, it's dense, but it's also microscopic and has completely arbitrary borders so the fact that it's high in population density when you ignore size is completely meaningless, because you could also arbitrarily divide any major city into a bunch of microscopic municipalities and it then they could easily be 10 out of the top 10

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

e: lol did not expect anywhere in the us to be in the top 50, let alone union and hoboken (and west new york is also a city in new jersey). nj ftw, i told y'all it's dense

the fact that there aren’t any chinese cities on here tells me that they’re using whatever administrative divisions that are called “city” in that place. doesn’t tell u as much as ud think

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

OK, but my actual point, having lived in Union City, is that yes, it's dense, but it's also microscopic and has completely arbitrary borders so the fact that it's high in population density is completely meaningless, because you could also arbitrarily divide any major city into a bunch of microscopic municipalities and it then they could easily be 10 out of the top 10

similarly, china uses the word “city” more closely to what we use the word “county” for, so its cities aren’t going to show up as dense even tho the urban areas absolutely are

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

similarly, china uses the word “city” more closely to what we use the word “county” for, so its cities aren’t going to show up as dense even tho the urban areas absolutely are
It's "incorporated places in the United States" so it's completely subject to what the boundaries of incorporated municipalities happen to be like in that area in the US too, which varies widely from place to place.

There are counties in the US where essentially none of the towns are actually incorporated as well and the county runs everything (IMO this is more efficient than having a bunch of microscopic towns trying to operate their own services)

Also any really dense places is going to have less dense areas on its outskirts, so it just turns into a question of a "what municipalities happen to have borders that only include the dense parts"

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 26, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

OK, but my actual point, having lived in Union City, is that yes, it's dense, but it's also microscopic and has completely arbitrary borders so the fact that it's high in population density when you ignore size is completely meaningless, because you could also arbitrarily divide any major city into a bunch of microscopic municipalities and it then they could easily be 10 out of the top 10

yeah i mean, they're all super old and therefore pretty small. union itself is pretty tiny, same thing applies to guttenberg, west new york, hoboken to a lesser extent etc.

some of the others are really not so small though. jersey city is almost the same size as boston for example. having lived in both places it definitely feels more dense too

e: doesn't mean they weren't or aren't dense though. it must've been crazy like 70 years ago when some of those nj cities had populations in the millions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm guessing when you say "Boston" you mean downtown boston which is also pretty tiny but I think that is also a good example of how hard it is to make this kind of comparison (I would guess that 90% of the people in massachusetts couldn't even correctly identify the actual legal boundaries of boston on a map)

However, if you look at all of Boston it's not that dense it does have a ton of really old houses that limit its density and boston includes an airport as well as places that are more suburban (while excluding places like cambridge that are pretty dense)

I'm not saying those places in NJ aren't dense (they happen to have been built at the right time/circumstances to be essentially 100% apartment buildings which is pretty rare in the US), but you could also easily carve out similar dense sections of other cities, so it mainly becomes an issue of how the municipalities are divided

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 26, 2023