Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got the profiles for the new angels and the returning angel.

https://twitter.com/pepper_rocket/status/1693668685268017395
https://twitter.com/pepper_rocket/status/1693670189529973107

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Luxmon is a dork and deserves to be bullied by Impmon and PicoDevimon

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
BT15 reveals have started, and they're all really interesting so far. I'm going to share the Tentomon line that we've seen so far because I am really happy with these cards, they're awesome. We still don't have Tentomon themself or HerculesKabuterimon, but they've revealed the rest of the line. Let's start with MegaKabuterimon ACE.

quote:

MegaKabuterimon ACE BT15-049 SR <03>
Ultimate | Vaccine | Insectoid

(Hand) [Counter] <Blast Digivolve>
[On Play] [When Digivolving] 1 of your Digimon gets +3000 DP until the end of your opponent's turn. Then, if your opponent's Digimon is attacking, you may switch the attack target to this Digimon.
[All Turns] While this Digimon is suspended, it isn't affected by the effects of your opponent's Digimon.
---
ACE: <Overflow -3>

So when you blast digivolve into it, MegaKabuterimon ACE goes up to 10k DP and redirects whatever attack was occurring into it; it also has protection, which is huge.

quote:

Motimon BT15-004 U <03>
In-Training | Lesser
---
[End of Your Turn] If this Digimon has the [Insectoid] trait, it may attack your opponent's Digimon.

quote:

Kabuterimon BT15-047 C <03>
Champion | Vaccine | Insectoid

[All Turns] While this Digimon is suspended, it isn't affected by the effects of your opponent's Digimon.
-----
Inherited: [All Turns] (Once per Turn) If this Digimon deletes an opponent's Digimon in battle, gain 1 memory.

So first off, Motimon is incredible. It's a pseudo-blitz and, notably, is not once per turn. So if you can reclaim memory somehow - maybe by Kabuterimon's inheritable - you can trigger Motimon multiple times. Then Kabuterimon itself has the same protection as MegaKabuterimon, which means that your opponent has to respect the Blast Digivolve. If it's suspended, they can't just remove it with When Attacking effects.

quote:

Clash of Knowledge BT15-095 C <03>

[Main] Suspend 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, if you have a Tamer with [Izzy Izumi] in its name, 1 of your opponent's Digimon gains "[On Deletion] Trash the top card of your security stack." until the end of your opponent's turn.
---
[Security] Suspend 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, add this card to the hand.

This option is kinda whatever on its own, though the bonus effect if you have Izzy is great. The reason this card is good is entirely because of the interaction with the egg: if you pass turn activating this option, you can attack the suspended digimon immediately and get the security trash. Even if you don't, though, they still have to worry about triggering the On Delete during their turn since that effect lingers. Now then, Izzy.

quote:

Izzy Izumi BT15-085 R <03>

[Start of Your Turn] If you have 2 or fewer memory, set it to 3.
[Opponent's Turn] When an opponent's Digimon attacks, by suspending this Tamer, switch the target of the attack to 1 of your suspended Digimon with the [Insectoid] trait.
---
[Security] Play this card without paying the cost.

In addition to being a memory tamer, Izzy having an Analogman/Cherrymon-style redirect is huge. Not only does it give the deck defensive options (which are important considering it's another green deck that wants to have its entire field suspended), but it also means that things like the option are much scarier since you can force them to fight your HerculesKabuterimon if it's sitting on field. This line is really, really impressive so far. I don't have super high expectations for HerculesKabuterimon itself at this point since it's going to be a rare 6, and those haven't been amazing so far, but I can't WAIT for Tentomon.

The only issues I'm seeing with the deck so far are that so far it doesn't have a lot of DP boosting and it doesn't have an on-theme way to play Izzy for free. Togemon from BT14 is generic, so at least there's that. I just hope they have something to help with the DP issue; you can play Taiga, but that only helps on your own turn and this deck clearly wants to be engaging in combat during the opponent's turn, too. Also there's no piercing yet, I guess; that could be on Tentomon or Herc itself, not sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You could run AncientBeetlemon as your lv 6.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress yeah, Insects are back, baby! :toot:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Given how BT14 was set up I suspect Tentomon is going to be an SR and probably be extremely central to the deck. Without knowing him I imagine it's a bit like trying to get a read on the BT14 Yellow Vaccine deck without knowing about SR Patamon who does absolutely everything for the deck. The Heracles Kabuterimon we're inevitably getting is also probably going to be a big deal as well.

We also got a magazine promo for the Dark Masters, and BT15 Mugendramon has absolutely no mechanical crossover with the current Mugendramon. It's not really clear how the deck functions without Apocalymon and probably some other cards (All 4 of them say "Can't evolve except into a White Digimon", and it looks like you're going to be able to load all four of them as evolution cards since they all have straight keyword inheritables), but right now it looks like a less expansive version of playing Devas.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 25, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

Given how BT14 was set up I suspect Tentomon is going to be an SR and probably be extremely central to the deck. Without knowing him I imagine it's a bit like trying to get a read on the BT14 Yellow Vaccine deck without knowing about SR Patamon who does absolutely everything for the deck. The Heracles Kabuterimon we're inevitably getting is also probably going to be a big deal as well.

We also got a magazine promo for the Dark Masters, and BT15 Mugendramon has absolutely no mechanical crossover with the current Mugendramon. It's not really clear how the deck functions without Apocalymon and probably some other cards (All 4 of them say "Can't evolve except into a White Digimon", and it looks like you're going to be able to load all four of them as evolution cards since they all have straight keyword inheritables), but right now it looks like a less expansive version of playing Devas.

Yep, that's why I expect Tentomon to be pretty good but have relatively low expectations for HerculesKabuterimon themselves. As for the dark masters, I don't really mind that Mugendramon doesn't really help the deck, but MetalSeadramon not helping the fish deck is a huge bummer. Unlike Mugendramon, that deck really needs the help.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't play the card game, I only collect (though I do want to get into properly playing someday) so can someone explain why Motimon is so good? I don't understand what attacking at the end of a turn adds over attacking normally.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It means you can develop your board/position better before you attack. You can evolve into a bigger body or use an option to suspend an enemy Digimon, making them a valid target for an attack when otherwise it would end your turn. It’s pretty good

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't play the card game, I only collect (though I do want to get into properly playing someday) so can someone explain why Motimon is so good? I don't understand what attacking at the end of a turn adds over attacking normally.

So, the way the resource system works is that as soon as you "overspend" memory, your turn ends and your opponent's turn begins. You can only attack during your main phase, but if you Digivolve up and it takes too much memory, you don't get to attack with your evolving Digimon.

Motimon solves that problem.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

Yep, that's why I expect Tentomon to be pretty good but have relatively low expectations for HerculesKabuterimon themselves. As for the dark masters, I don't really mind that Mugendramon doesn't really help the deck, but MetalSeadramon not helping the fish deck is a huge bummer. Unlike Mugendramon, that deck really needs the help.

The funny thing is that Metal Seadramon actually does provide some value for Fish decks, just not as much as it could have if it didn't have its second and third effect. It's a Seadramon so it can be played out from under your Aegisdramon to trigger Plesiomon's inheritable, it has an on play effect that disrupts the board in the way that Fish wants to do, and it hands off Blocker as an inheritable effect in a deck all about stacking your sources. Fish as it currently exists usually plays one or two of the old Metal Seadramon with an on play effect to try and use as a spoiler, and the new one is arguably better for that purpose. It does really suck that it has so many limitations built into it of course…

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Omnicrom posted:

The funny thing is that Metal Seadramon actually does provide some value for Fish decks, just not as much as it could have if it didn't have its second and third effect. It's a Seadramon so it can be played out from under your Aegisdramon to trigger Plesiomon's inheritable, it has an on play effect that disrupts the board in the way that Fish wants to do, and it hands off Blocker as an inheritable effect in a deck all about stacking your sources. Fish as it currently exists usually plays one or two of the old Metal Seadramon with an on play effect to try and use as a spoiler, and the new one is arguably better for that purpose. It does really suck that it has so many limitations built into it of course…

You can even get it under your Aegisdramon by tying it into the MegaSeadramon in the same set!

MegaSeadramon BT15-029 U <03>
Ultimate | Data | Aquatic
[On Play] [When Digivolving] By placing 1 of your other blue Digimon as this Digimon's bottom digivolution card, return 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a level less than or equal to the placed card's level to the bottom of the deck.
---
Inherited: [When Attacking] (Once Per Turn) By placing 1 of your other blue Digimon as this Digimon's bottom digivolution card, unsuspend this Digimon.

So if they were trying to make MetalSeadramon not work for fish deck by putting those conditionals on it, they kinda failed. It still does. It just does so in a really janky and inconvenient way.

Honestly, I don't think these cards even need the only evolving into white qualifier. I get being gunshy about giving Machinedramon more support, but they're already full up on level 6s and there's 0 benefit to turning Chaosdramon X into a ticking time bomb. I don't even think Puppetmon and Piedmon have archetypes to even worry about. Why did they make this choice?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

The part where you NEED to use an effect to get it into sources because you can't digivolve into Aegis from it really hurts, though.

The Bee posted:

So if they were trying to make MetalSeadramon not work for fish deck by putting those conditionals on it, they kinda failed. It still does. It just does so in a really janky and inconvenient way.

Honestly, I don't think these cards even need the only evolving into white qualifier. I get being gunshy about giving Machinedramon more support, but they're already full up on level 6s and there's 0 benefit to turning Chaosdramon X into a ticking time bomb. I don't even think Puppetmon and Piedmon have archetypes to even worry about. Why did they make this choice?

There's also Quartzmon to think about, but yeah I think they just put the qualifier there for Machinedramon specifically then expanded it to being part of the deck's gimmick after the fact.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 26, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It future-proofs the cards well enough. I can’t say I particularly dislike it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

The part where you NEED to use an effect to get it into sources because you can't digivolve into Aegis from it really hurts, though.

It's true, but you generally don't want to evolve anything but Plesiomon into Aegisdramon to get the inheritable.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

There's also Quartzmon to think about, but yeah I think they just put the qualifier there for Machinedramon specifically then expanded it to being part of the deck's gimmick after the fact.

Looking at the cards, I think the culprit may actually be Examon. Between the Ultimates letting you stock a Dark Master in breeding, and the cycling effect let you play one out for cheap, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to expect a speedy Examon hitting the battlefield. The MetalSeadramons also count for the when evolving effect, letting you whip one out from your hand for another free level 5 bounce and cycling effect. It probably wouldn't be the best use of Examon, but I could see the speedy mega zoo engine facilitating it a little too efficiently for comfort.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Was thinking about this series/franchise again recently because of the 02 movie that's coming out in October. I wasn't the biggest fan of Last Evolution, it did that thing of making character suffer separation for mostly pointless reason (I get its trying to do a Toy Story 3 ending, but the digimon are living creatures and there's no reason that they have to be completely separated.

The 02 movie isn't going to rehash that same plot point though, or at least if it is I'll at least see it coming. So I'm tentatively looking forward to it. Also I got into Digimon with 02, starting to watch it right around when they had defeated the emperor and BlackWarGreymon was created. So I have some nostalgia for those characters.

Anyway, that said, what episodes are your favorite in Digimon? Do any aside from the Mamoru Hosoda episode hold up? I find the episodes in the real world most appealing, as when the protagonists are in a fantasy world it doesn't feel like they're at odds with society. They're basically the Narnia children, brought over to save the world. When they go back to Japan they're having to contend with the japanese transit system, or hitch rides to get around, and try to deploy their monsters in less flashy ways. It creates some fun constraints and stakes are more understandable in a world that is similar to ours.

I heard the remake of Adventure never really ventured back into the real world, and also never figured out how the balance the huge cast, which is a pity. I was reading the reviews on anime news network until they gave up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Digimon Adventure mostly holds up, but 21 (the Hisoda episode) is the pinnacle.

The Vamdemon/Myotismon arc is really really good.

Tamers is a banger from start to finish; most of the show is in the real world.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, my favorite singular episode might be the SkullGreymon one. I wish more had been done with the idea of "embodying the dark side of your virtues causes an evil evolution." I find that much more interesting and compelling (and a better lesson about adulthood) than "evil happens when you twirl your mustache for funsies."

Before Ghost Game, the only other time that idea was even touched was Megidramon, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

Honestly, my favorite singular episode might be the SkullGreymon one. I wish more had been done with the idea of "embodying the dark side of your virtues causes an evil evolution". Before Ghost Game, the only other time that idea was even touched was Megidramon, right?

I feel like you're underselling how big a deal Megidramon was.

Also, Ruin Mode from Savers and arguably Beast Spirits from Frontier?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I feel like you're underselling how big a deal Megidramon was.

Also, Ruin Mode from Savers and arguably Beast Spirits from Frontier?
Maybe, but both Megidramon and Ruin Mode (which I did forget about, my bad) both have the same problem of it only happening to not-Tai. Which makes sense in Tamers, admittedly, Megidramon was probably the kind of lesson that didn't need repeating, but Ruin Mode just being SkullGreymon Again and then doing nothing else with the concept perfectly embodies the show's problem with stealing mediocrity from the jaws of excellence.

Digimon Savers, more like Digimon Play-It-Safers, amirite? :j:

I guess Beast Spirits kind of count? I'd need to rewatch the show to form a more nuanced opinion and I've got much better shows I've been meaning to rewatch, I'm not putting myself through Frontier a second time.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 29, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly the SkullGreymon episode isn't even actually that good, indeed I'd argue that like the rest of the Etemon arc it's pretty terrible, which makes Episode 21's quality shine even stronger, of course then the quality takes an immediate dip with the Digital World portion of VamDemon's arc(though better than the Etemon arc) and doesn't really approach the quality of File Island till they head back to the Real World

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I will agree that the arc of the kids getting their Perfect forms and reuniting the team is pretty mid, but Vamdemon's entrance is a great episode, as is the race to get through the Gate.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Hi Digimon thread, I'm writing a thing about variations to TV show openings in different language areas, and I could use some expert help. Can you tell me which countries had Butter-Fly (with new lyrics) as the opening for the first season(s), and where did they use a version of the English dub's opening instead? Maybe there is also a third option I don't know about?

Off the top of my head, I know at least Germany and Finland had versions of Butter-Fly in addition to Japan, and Sweden had a version of the "Digimon are the champions" song. From DigimonWiki I gather that at least Portugal, Croatia and Indonesia seem to have had versions of Butter-Fly, too. But I'm sure these aren't the only language areas the first seasons were aired in. Is there maybe a comprehensive list somewhere?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Brazil had a version of the English OP featuring a singer(?) who was popular at the time. It’s… interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8WkK0wkjc

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In Spain they used Butter-Fly but with completely changed lyrics talking about Digimon (hilariously they sing about getting rid of the Dark Gears despite that being only the first arc lol). For the ED they used the first JP ED for all of Adventure. OST seems the same as the Japanese one (including Brave Heart untraslated) and the dub was based on the original, not the English dub as far as I've compared.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spanish-speaking Latin America had a dubbed Butter-fly, as our dub was directly based on the Japanese version (though it used the American dub names for characters and Digimon, but not anything else). The endings were also dubbed.

This practice was kept all the way to Frontier. I'm not sure if Savers and Xros Wars got the same treatment since by that time I had moved on to subs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blaze Dragon posted:

Spanish-speaking Latin America had a dubbed Butter-fly, as our dub was directly based on the Japanese version (though it used the American dub names for characters and Digimon, but not anything else). The endings were also dubbed.

This practice was kept all the way to Frontier. I'm not sure if Savers and Xros Wars got the same treatment since by that time I had moved on to subs.

Oh, right, in Spain they also used dubbed names for everything. The weird thing is I perfectly remember knowing Tai's original name Taichi, but I'm not sure if it was used in the dub or I got it from an external source.

And yeah, they also dubbed all OPs and EDs for seasons up to Savers (I only saw up to Frontier as a kid so Savers is based on there being Youtube videos), with Frontier and Savers actually having accurate lyrics for the OPs.

XrosWars I looked it up on Netflix once and it was based on the English Dub with all the changes so that's when they stopped.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Forktoss posted:

Hi Digimon thread, I'm writing a thing about variations to TV show openings in different language areas, and I could use some expert help. Can you tell me which countries had Butter-Fly (with new lyrics) as the opening for the first season(s), and where did they use a version of the English dub's opening instead? Maybe there is also a third option I don't know about?

Off the top of my head, I know at least Germany and Finland had versions of Butter-Fly in addition to Japan, and Sweden had a version of the "Digimon are the champions" song. From DigimonWiki I gather that at least Portugal, Croatia and Indonesia seem to have had versions of Butter-Fly, too. But I'm sure these aren't the only language areas the first seasons were aired in. Is there maybe a comprehensive list somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h_uR2P7n84

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This one looks much more comprehensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR4Rm6nV3Og

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh, right, in Spain they also used dubbed names for everything. The weird thing is I perfectly remember knowing Tai's original name Taichi, but I'm not sure if it was used in the dub or I got it from an external source.

in the english version of the first season, the kids' names are given onscreen when they're introduced in the first episode and IIRC the ones that aren't just the same are written as if the dub name is just a nickname for the original name (except for Yagami becoming Kamiya), which works fine for Tai, Matt, and TK, and Izzy is clearly based on his last name.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

Digimon Savers, more like Digimon Play-It-Safers, amirite? :j:

Yeah, Savers played it safe, what with its themes of government corruption, genocide, post partum depression, and so on. LMAO.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Not for nothing, but Megidramon evolving only for Takato also came because it was very specifically part of Takato's particular character arc. What was going on there didn't really have clear parallels to Jian or Ruki.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Thanks a lot, this is all very helpful! Though I see that last video is slightly inaccurate in that the Finnish version is not the original one, which was so badly done (along with the rest of the dub) that people actually complained to the network so much they changed their dubbing studio halfway through the season, and the new studio then redid the song lyrics and all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, Savers played it safe, what with its themes of government corruption, genocide, post partum depression, and so on. LMAO.

Can you imagine. A story that involves government corruption?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Can you imagine. A story that involves government corruption?

it's unusual for Digimon, and considering the series' main writer is very political and left leaning, I think it counts. Kurata and Hashiba being irredeemable pricks says something

even Yamaki ended up being an ally in the end

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read most of the second chapter of Digimon Seekers and I’m pretty sure that Kim Jong Un has a Machinedramon

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

thetoughestbean posted:

I read most of the second chapter of Digimon Seekers and I’m pretty sure that Kim Jong Un has a Machinedramon

Had, I think? might still.

(The nation's anonymized so it could be a different country too but that would make sense.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

...I need to rewatch Savers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Golux posted:

Had, I think? might still.

(The nation's anonymized so it could be a different country too but that would make sense.)

The way they respond to losing it by threatening the rest of the world made me certain that it’s North Korea