Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Wouldn't want to water down the Brand with genuine emotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I enjoyed everyone saying that Terry Funk wrestled for a lot of promotions in America and absolutely nowhere else in the world

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Terry Funk references they did do in that episode, with Cody doing the egg-sucking dog line and the Brawling Brutes doing the ladder spin spot got absolute dead silence. WWE hasn't spent their time cultivating an audience that knows anything about Terry Funk anyway.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SuitWilliams/status/1695245222614094084

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

I enjoyed everyone saying that Terry Funk wrestled for a lot of promotions in America and absolutely nowhere else in the world

it'd be really nice if they weren't so loving weird about that poo poo. if anything, they aren't endangering themselves to just say other promotions exist.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

skaboomizzy posted:

Terry Funk worked for every promotion WWE has the video library of and none of the ones that they don't.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

The Terry Funk references they did do in that episode, with Cody doing the egg-sucking dog line and the Brawling Brutes doing the ladder spin spot got absolute dead silence. WWE hasn't spent their time cultivating an audience that knows anything about Terry Funk anyway.

I just watched it back and yeah. The crowd only gets into it when his name is on the tron and someone starts a Terry chant. That made me really sad.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Codependent Poster posted:

I really liked his return promo where he got to speak as himself, even if that was probably a worked version of himself that was meant to fit in the story about him fighting a dark influence.

This plus regardless of opinion, I really liked the Pitch Black match. The black light makeup they did plus the contacts looked pretty badass & Knight sold it like a little kid seeing the boogeyman in the closet. It was a fun match overall even if it wasn't popular, different but both guys made it work. I'll miss that stuff, not many guys can make gimmicks like that really work & bring you back to your childhood thinking of guys like Jake Roberts or Undertaker.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WWE does not facilitate an interest in the history of wrestling as a whole, let alone their own history, as borne out by the fact that their own online archive has very low viewing metrics on all of the historical stuff they have. So their audience will never be primed to react to those sorts of homages.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
The wrestling fans I know of that liked the old stuff (Savage, Hogan, etc to the Attitude era) all stopped watching WWE a long time ago. There are aspects of the current product I like, but I can understand why they bailed (Super Cena booking, Reigns being shoved down our throats)

I completely get why the crowd was dead for anything Terry Funk related... because all those Funk fans stopped buying tickets for WWE shows 15 years ago

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Cameo posted:

WWE does not facilitate an interest in the history of wrestling as a whole, let alone their own history, as borne out by the fact that their own online archive has very low viewing metrics on all of the historical stuff they have. So their audience will never be primed to react to those sorts of homages.

People say this and yet Cody's whole story has been that he's trying to win the WWE Universal Championship that his father spent his whole career chasing and never won

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For WWE standards the Bray stuff there was as good a tribute as you can expect from them imo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MJeff posted:

Meanwhile Eddie or Mox will absolutely find a ladder somewhere and do the spin to a huge pop.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rarity posted:

For WWE standards the Bray stuff there was as good a tribute as you can expect from them imo

I think it would have probably been for the best to do the tribute video and a couple of video packages on Smackdown and to announcer that RAW will be the Bray Wyatt tribute episode. Instead of trying to do something like the Terry Funk memorial tag match which the WWE is absolutely incapable of doing something worthy of his memory.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

their previous 3 main tribute shows were done the same way with the same level of respect for each guy, that was the only self imposed standard they needed to met and they failed to do that. i would judge the wwe standard based on their own track record with the subject, i dont give them a pass on half assing this one because it was a guy who wasn't Vince's Pick

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

For some reason, the one Bray moment that keeps popping up in my head was when they did the Wyatt Family vs. Roman, Ambrose, and a mystery partner. As Roman and Ambrose were in the ring, a fan jumped into the ring wearing Shield gear and stood next to them for a brief moment before security got on his rear end. Roman was confused, Ambrose was nonplussed, and Bray beautifully played into it by pointing and laughing, "This is your partner?!"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Testekill posted:

Meanwhile Eddie or Mox will absolutely find a ladder somewhere and do the spin to a huge pop.

Eddie and Mox are going to recreate Funk vs Onita in a Food Court and it's going to be glorious.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

STONE COLD 64 posted:

their previous 3 main tribute shows were done the same way with the same level of respect for each guy, that was the only self imposed standard they needed to met and they failed to do that. i would judge the wwe standard based on their own track record with the subject, i dont give them a pass on half assing this one because it was a guy who wasn't Vince's Pick

He wasn't Vince's pick, but you best believe that they'll be trying to make money off of him forever.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

What a wet fart of a “Terry Funk Hardcore” match that was

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay this is the only thing I'm gonna post about this because I'd rather voluntarily take a melon baller to my brain than "discuss" the WWE product with this sub forum by and large these days. IMO WWE was in a borderline impossible situation here. They had something like 90 minutes to pay tribute to both Funk and Wyatt. Bray died something like 24 hours before. I'd bet money a lot of folks weren't feeling their best to say the least, and as a result the wrestling was never gonna be what it otherwise would. This might be a hot take but even aside from promotion, the Brodie tribute show was different because people had almost certainly been preparing themselves for it, even if just for a little while. No one figured on Bray dying about 24 hours before a 2 hour SmackDown and 24 hours after another absolute titan of the industry and he's the first active WWE talent to die since Benoit. Of course I'm never gonna watch that goddamn show again but I don't exactly remember that being a "good" show either. I don't remember exactly how good the Eddie show was, but I do know that they didn't have to try to pay tribute to two people at once.

If they didn't pay tribute to Terry, or ENOUGH tribute they'd have gotten poo poo for it. If they delayed the tribute to Bray in order to try to put on an objectively better show, they'd catch poo poo for it. It's an insanely difficult and poo poo situation, not to mention basically the people who I'd most put on a Bray tribute show in order to wrestle were either out of the building (Seth, Roman, Randy, The Usos, pretty sure New Day), couldn't physically wrestle (Braun), are out of the promotion or dead (Mox, Brodie) or probably didn't want to wrestle (Rowan, Bo).

Crowd was rough, though. Don't wanna say they were poo poo because I don't think I'd exactly be rowdy for a wrestling show in those circumstances either. I think they did a decent job given the difficult circumstances and am actually kinda shocked at how good LA Knight's "RUN" was.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think anyone would really have minded if they'd decided to have the Bray tribute on Smackdown and the Funk tribute on Raw next week.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Well at least you were able to poo poo on the subforum for not liking the company.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

would people have preferred a coachella bray hologram like they did for paul bearer

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay this is the only thing I'm gonna post about this because I'd rather voluntarily take a melon baller to my brain than "discuss" the WWE product with this sub forum by and large these days.

Appropriate, as scooping out chunks of the brain is a necessity to enjoy the company run by Vince McMahon these days

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

corn dog.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
idk considering WWE is being re-wrote sometimes even after the show is on the air I would consider they had ample time to do something

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay this is the only thing I'm gonna post about this because I'd rather voluntarily take a melon baller to my brain than "discuss" the WWE product with this sub forum by and large these days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wasn't the last like full production tribute show Raw is Benoit? Not that either current situation are in any way similar but i can see where that would sort of leave a bad taste in your mouth lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

Wasn't the last like full production tribute show Raw is Benoit? Not that either current situation are in any way similar but i can see where that would sort of leave a bad taste in your mouth lol

Ramblin Rabbit is in the enclosed funhouse.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

yea ok posted:

Well at least you were able to poo poo on the subforum for not liking the company.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They probably would have done a more thorough tribute if he was actually working a program with someone that was now being suddenly cut short, rather than being off tv entirely at the time.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I do agree that WWE was in an impossible situation. However, I also think that continuing to put on a show that advanced storylines was just sort of...not really what people who tuned in hoping for some catharsis wanted. Maybe it's foolish to expect a televised program to give one that catharsis, but wrestling is such a public yet personal business. The opening video package was great. The final shot was nice. I'm struggling because all I can think of is Cole's flippant "well this is sad but we are sports entertainers so we will entertain you" speech afterwards. There's this hurry to make sure the show goes on during a time where I know many would have preferred the product to just slow down a little instead of showing five second YouTube clips. Even if they couldn't do a big rewrite for Smackdown last night, or refund an arena full of tickets so they could do a clip show full of both guys' career highlights (or in Terry's case, his WWE highlights), an announcement of a real memorial show at a later date would have been nice.

Instead I got a serviceable WWE show for what I watched. And make no mistake, WWE is...for the most part, serviceable television. But during a time where I think several of us tuning in were hoping for something a little more real to help deal with some deeply complicated emotions, to be provided fairly standard business-as-usual WWE was kind of a bummer, and I think people are right to be bummed about it.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 26, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The opening video package was great. The final shot was nice. I'm struggling because all I can think of is Cole's flippant "well this is sad but we are sports entertainers so we will entertain you" speech afterwards. There's this hurry to make sure the show goes on

Taking this time to repost Seth's message

which is straight up him going "the stereotype is to say the show must go on, and I was considering that and showing up tonight, but then I remembered what Bray told me at the end of my calling him to check up after Brodie died, where his last words on the call were 'hug your kid', and that feels more right and like a way of honoring him than going to work an extra day at a place that never took him seriously ever could"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

i didn't watch the show but what do people really expect? they have an obligation to put on a show for the people who paid to attend and the TV deal they have, along with all the people who would be working the show.

so you're going to do the show. now what? you've got 2 hours to fill and on 1 days notice, can you put together a good 2 hour memorial for bray wyatt with all the interviews and post-production work that would entail?

nope. short of just letting people ramble off script for 2 hours, which has it's own risks, the best thing to do is pay tribute up front and in closing and otherwise just fill the time. it isn't disrespectful to put on a wrestling show on the same night as the memorial of a wrestler.

now if the show itself stank that's another matter but it's WWE.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

roomtone posted:

i didn't watch the show but what do people really expect? they have an obligation to put on a show for the people who paid to attend and the TV deal they have, along with all the people who would be working the show.

so you're going to do the show. now what? you've got 2 hours to fill and on 1 days notice, can you put together a good 2 hour memorial for bray wyatt with all the interviews and post-production work that would entail?

nope. short of just letting people ramble off script for 2 hours, which has it's own risks, the best thing to do is pay tribute up front and in closing and otherwise just fill the time. it isn't disrespectful to put on a wrestling show on the same night as the memorial of a wrestler.

now if the show itself stank that's another matter but it's WWE.

A different company managed to put on one of the most touching perfect shows in history on 3 days notice.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

3 days is a lot more than 1 to get something organised

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think wrestling society shouldn't have this idea that you absolutely are required to do 'the' tribute show as soon as possible for someone who has passed away, or else you are severely disrespecting them. in fact that it needs to be your next show whether it's the following day, a week away, etc. i think a company and the wrestlers who work there should pay tribute to the wrestler in appropriate ways throughout the next shows, and following that they could take the time to book and put together a really nice tribute show with proceeds going to that person's family. and nothing about that would be seen as a slight against a deceased person who was their close friend, not yours. this is my defense for if this ever happens to aew who i'd like to protect. i'm testing it here with The Wwe who sucks my bunger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They don’t give a poo poo about Bray or Terry. Just wait till Taker, Flair, or HBK dies they’ll probably put a full weeks worth of tribute shows.